FishDuck Article

Is Bo Nix Winning the Heisman a Total Pipe Dream?

Possible, far-fetched, or totally insane?

bo.nix3_-300x300-cropped.jpeg?p=195247
FISHDUCK.COM

Darren Perkins of FishDuck.com wonders if Bo Nix has any shot to win the 2022 Heisman Trophy.

• Let’s hope! 1

Two Sites: FishDuck and the Our Beloved Ducks forum, The only "Forum with Decorum!" And All-Volunteer? What a wonderful community of Duck fans!

It might also be can he recover from his bonehead plays? The Heisman is also all about the drama, and there is nothing more entertaining than nail biter wins. We all want to move beyond the conservative grind it out wins, well there is nothing more exciting than the thrilling late game heroics.

The question may be can Nix win the tight games? If he throws a few picks, but is able to come back and win that may be enough to get him in the discussion for the big lump of metal. 

We may see havoc in defense, and the occasional self inflicted havoc on offense. If the offense can explode out of any issues which arise then the Heisman talk may come to Autzen, once again. If will take a top ten, top five ranked team, now that is also exciting.

• Like 1

On 6/14/2022 at 10:05 AM, Haywarduck said:

It might also be can he recover from his bonehead plays? The Heisman is also all about the drama, and there is nothing more entertaining than nail biter wins. We all want to move beyond the conservative grind it out wins, well there is nothing more exciting than the thrilling late game heroics.

The question may be can Nix win the tight games? If he throws a few picks, but is able to come back and win that may be enough to get him in the discussion for the big lump of metal. 

We may see havoc in defense, and the occasional self inflicted havoc on offense. If the offense can explode out of any issues which arise then the Heisman talk may come to Autzen, once again. If will take a top ten, top five ranked team, now that is also exciting.

Very true. It will be so nice to have a non-conservative offense, if MC was still coach, and somehow we still got Nix, there is no way I would have even thought about Nix and the heisman. But, now, we have hope..... 

Fun article, Darren. While only time will tell, I took the liberty of checking with my Magic 8 Ball. The answer was: "Outlook Not So Good."  

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Haha 2

Respectfully I say... Zero chance, where can I bet against Bo on this?

Bryce Young had a tad under 5000 yards and 50 TD's last year, Burrow was at around 5500 yards and 60 TD's. 

Bo would need to throw for nearly twice as many yards as he ever has in a season and nearly three times as many TD's as he has in a season to get on level with what Stroud, Young did last year. Let's assume to put Caleb Willimas in that production range for this season that Stroud and Young had last year. 

Who is the sportswriter talking head throwing DJ's name into the mix? DJ threw 9 TD's last year!

He was terrible for a 5-star recruit and looks a bust to me.

DJ might not be the opening day QB1 after fighting 2022 class #1 QB recruit Cade Klubnik. Odds are if DJ does get the job, he will lose it mid-year to Klubnik, much like Kelly Bryant did to Sunshine mid-year and took the Tiger to a Natty win.

On 6/14/2022 at 11:31 AM, DazeNconfused said:

Who is the sportswriter talking head throwing DJ's name into the mix? DJ threw 9 TD's last year!

I was thinking the same thing...must be a Clemson writer lol! Then it occurred to me that if they read this article that they're probably asking the same question about who's tossing Nix in the conversation?! 😝

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Haha 1

On 6/14/2022 at 9:37 AM, Wrathis said:

I was thinking the same thing...must be a Clemson writer lol! Then it occurred to me that if they read this article that they're probably asking the same question about who's tossing Nix in the conversation?! 😝

I'm thinking I'd take Bo over DJ from what I've seen of them, but I'd take Cade Klubnik over them both just watching the kid in the Clemson Spring Game.

Kid threw around mid 60's% completions to DJ who was under 50%. Cade didn't throw as many deep balls to be fair.

But any true Frosh enrolls early and can throw for around 65% in the Spring Game I'm liking the odds of him being able to mix in the deeper routes come end of the summer.

Matter of fact I'd bet on Cade taking this job over by week 6. 

Edited by DazeNconfused

Ducks need to beat Georgia, average +40 pts/game, then beat a highly ranked media darling USC team for the PAC 12 Championship (Ducks have already throttled a highly ranked Utah at home and put them out of PAC title contention). 

Stranger things have happened. 

I can be a cup half full guy. Kind of stinks to say zero chance before any snap of the ball has taken place.  Bo Nix starts and finishes the season and accomplishes those things, then he is in the conversation. 

• Go Ducks! 1

Look...I know it is low probability, but if Dillingham has the offense scoring points and drawing attention to Oregon--Bo will be considered one of the reasons why.  I love the off-season for conversations like this!

Sure. Bo winning the Heisman

sounds normal to us!

giphy.gif

• Haha 1

Mr. FishDuck

On 6/14/2022 at 11:22 AM, WiseKwacker said:

Fun article, Darren. While only time will tell, I took the liberty of checking with my Magic 8 Ball. The answer was: "Outlook Not So Good."  

Agreed, but I'm grasping onto that sliver of hope. 

• Go Ducks! 1

On 6/14/2022 at 11:31 AM, DazeNconfused said:

Respectfully I say... Zero chance, where can I bet against Bo on this?

Bryce Young had a tad under 5000 yards and 50 TD's last year, Burrow was at around 5500 yards and 60 TD's. 

Bo would need to throw for nearly twice as many yards as he ever has in a season and nearly three times as many TD's as he has in a season to get on level with what Stroud, Young did last year. Let's assume to put Caleb Willimas in that production range for this season that Stroud and Young had last year. 

DJ might not be the opening day QB1 after fighting 2022 class #1 QB recruit Cade Klubnik. Odds are if DJ does get the job, he will lose it mid-year to Klubnik, much like Kelly Bryant did to Sunshine mid-year and took the Tiger to a Natty win.

Stop making so much sense! Lol. It's June and the Ducks are going to win the natty and Nix the Heisman and that is that!!!

But seriously, maybe not "zero" in my book, but pretty darn low chance, I do agree.

Yeah, I was wondering about DJ as well, but his name is in the mix even though he stank last year, they must be betting on being at Clemson and a year 2 improvement. 

On 6/14/2022 at 11:37 AM, Wrathis said:

Nix's name did consistenly come up in the 15-25 range, so it's not like he's totally coming out of nowhere. And, I think that after the low-grade MC offense has trained us to have minimal expectations with the offense (can you image us saying the pre-MC? Crazy), but the offense will for sure be more explosive, if he can cut down on the mistakes, the Ducks win the Pac-12 (which is not a crazy thought) then his could very well be in the mix.  

But, yes, alot would need to go right. 

• Go Ducks! 1

On 6/14/2022 at 11:45 AM, DazeNconfused said:

I'm thinking I'd take Bo over DJ from what I've seen of them, but I'd take Cade Klubnik over them both just watching the kid in the Clemson Spring Game.

Kid threw around mid 60's% completions to DJ who was under 50%. Cade didn't throw as many deep balls to be fair.

But any true Frosh enrolls early and can throw for around 65% in the Spring Game I'm liking the odds of him being able to mix in the deeper routes come end of the summer.

Matter of fact I'd bet on Cade taking this job over by week 6. 

Yikes, we don't need Clemson rebounding, we need them to have several repeats in a row of last year. 

On 6/14/2022 at 11:46 AM, Drake said:

Ducks need to beat Georgia, average +40 pts/game, then beat a highly ranked media darling USC team for the PAC 12 Championship (Ducks have already throttled a highly ranked Utah at home and put them out of PAC title contention). 

Stranger things have happened. 

I can be a cup half full guy. Kind of stinks to say zero chance before any snap of the ball has taken place.  Bo Nix starts and finishes the season and accomplishes those things, then he is in the conversation. 

If he and the Ducks have a very good season, his name will most likely be in the mix (which is what I'm reasonably hoping for) and then if luck and other top contenders falter then who knows.... crazier things have happened. 

On 6/14/2022 at 12:27 PM, Charles Fischer said:

Look...I know it is low probability, but if Dillingham has the offense scoring points and drawing attention to Oregon--Bo will be considered one of the reasons why.  I love the off-season for conversations like this!

sounds normal to us!

giphy.gif

Always fun to see a dog doing his best goat (ie, climbing to weird places) impersonation. 

Could be.....sometimes a player is an improved player when surrounded by different players. This is particularly true of QB's. 

On 6/14/2022 at 10:46 AM, Darren Perkins said:

Nix's name did consistenly come up in the 15-25 range, so it's not like he's totally coming out of nowhere.

Writers or pundits who go 15-25 deep in Heisman speculation are trying to fill a print quota or airtime if you ask me.lol

The list stops being real after about 7 players to me. 

It's the big name QB's at the big-name schools. Young, Stroud, Williams at Bama, The OSU, USC.

2nd tier all big-name schools

Tyler Van Dyke QB - Miami

Jaxson Smith-Nijbia WR - The OSU

Bjain Robinson RB - Texas

Jordan Addison WR- USC

Darkhorse- 

Treyvon Henderson RB - The OSU - he could approach 2000 yards and 25 TD's 

Travis Dye RB - USC - almost 1700 rush/receiving yards last year and 18 TD's on well over 100 less touches than Christian McCaffery had in 2015, give Dye the extra 100 touches and he could end up around 2500 yards and 25 TD's

Edited by DazeNconfused

You never know.  Joe Burrow had that monster season once the right offense was put around him, before that he was relatively average.  

• Great post! 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 6/14/2022 at 1:31 PM, DazeNconfused said:

Writers or pundits who go 15-25 deep in Heisman speculation are trying to fill a print quota or airtime if you ask me.lol

The list stops being real after about 7 players to me. 

It's the big name QB's at the big-name schools. Young, Stroud, Williams at Bama, The OSU, USC.

2nd tier all big-name schools

Tyler Van Dyke QB - Miami

Jaxson Smith-Nijbia WR - The OSU

Bjain Robinson RB - Texas

Jordan Addison WR- USC

Darkhorse- 

Treyvon Henderson RB - The OSU - he could approach 2000 yards and 25 TD's 

Travis Dye RB - USC - almost 1700 rush/receiving yards last year and 18 TD's on well over 100 less touches than Christian McCaffery had in 2015, give Dye the extra 100 touches and he could end up around 2500 yards and 25 TD's

I did stumble across this while I was checking the odds, from a couple years ago, so one never knows: "8 of the past 10 Heisman winners weren’t considered Top 10 candidates in the preseason by oddsmakers. Joe Burrow (40:1), Kyler Murray (30:1), Lamar Jackson (100:1) and Derrick Henry (25:1) represent a new wave of Heisman profitability for sports gamblers. "  ..

• Thumbs Up 1

On 6/14/2022 at 1:35 PM, kirklandduck said:

You never know.  Joe Burrow had that monster season once the right offense was put around him, before that he was relatively average.  

Truth. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Just the thought of a Duck in the Heisman conversation the year after Mario leaves would be good enough for me.

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 6/14/2022 at 1:51 PM, Darren Perkins said:

If he and the Ducks have a very good season, his name will most likely be in the mix (which is what I'm reasonably hoping for) and then if luck and other top contenders falter then who knows.... crazier things have happened. 

Nix in the mix?

On 6/14/2022 at 4:20 PM, Notalot said:

Nix in the mix?

Correct. 

For Bo to be in the conversation, the Ducks will have to be in the hunt for a playoff spot. That works for me!!

I love June! We look so good on paper!

• Applause 1

I'm a homer..... But, not that much of a homer.

No chance. Sorry.

• Oh no! 1

On 6/14/2022 at 5:59 PM, DanLduck said:

For Bo to be in the conversation, the Ducks will have to be in the hunt for a playoff spot. That works for me!!

I love June! We look so good on paper!

"in the conversation" that what I'm hoping for. 

• Thumbs Up 1

On 6/14/2022 at 11:35 AM, kirklandduck said:

Burrow is a killer. He took the Bengals to the SuperBowl. Dude makes everyone around him All Pro. He is a unique cat. You watch, Burrow will win championships. Absolute freak. "Fight in the dog" thing.

Edited by Log Haulin

On 6/14/2022 at 1:27 PM, Charles Fischer said:

sounds normal to us!

giphy.gif

I’m not ready to give up on Butterfield just yet. He may not start the season, but I think we’ll see him at some point.

On 6/14/2022 at 10:37 AM, Darren Perkins said:

Agreed, but I'm grasping onto that sliver of hope. 

I got a sliver this afternoon... Hope it doesn't get infected!