FishDuck Article

Oregon Won’t Become Georgia Overnight

How much do we need to temper our expectations, at least immediately?

Kris-Hutson_Gary-Breedlove_FP-300x300-cr
FISHDUCK.COM

By all accounts, the Oregon Ducks knocked it out of the park by hiring Dan Lanning. The young, talented coach is an ace recruiter...

• Go Ducks! 1

Two Sites: FishDuck and the Our Beloved Ducks forum, The only "Forum with Decorum!" And All-Volunteer? What a wonderful community of Duck fans!

Oregon won 10 games last year with a coach that had no idea what he was doing on game day. Oregon finishes with one loss (Ga) and they are in the CFP. There is a lot of talent on this team. 

Ducks have done more with less and lost by a FG. I think every kid on this team is fully bought in. So it will come down to execution and game management. A healthy Duck team can play with anyone in the country. Proved it last year in the Shoe with a horrible game time coach. 

It took Ga 40 years to win another title. So yeah... Ducks aren't Ga. Ducks are still looking for their first. When, not if, they get that first, it will come in a way none of us can predict. So why not now?

• Thumbs Up 3
  • Like 1

When DL came to Daisies he told about the Chinese bamboo tree, which takes 5 years to grow.  It has to be watered and fertilized in the ground where it has been planted every day. It doesn't break through the ground for five years. After five years, once it breaks through the ground, it will grow 90 feet tall in five weeks!  While he didn't say that was how the Ducks' path was going to go, I sort of concluded that's what he might have meant.

• Great post! 1
  • Applause 2
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 3

Well, in September I think we will "be coming" (to) Georgia.  I guess for now that will have to do.

• Go Ducks! 1

The Ducks rise to a legit title contender will probably coincide with a Heisman candidate at QB, or RB. Both the offensive and defensive schemes are new for the players. Therefore,  I expect some time for everyone to get things dialed in. 

A high percentage of top recruits has Oregon in their top 5 teams. With a good showing this season the coaching staff builds upon our recruiting momentum. From there I think this coaching staff is fully capable of getting the Ducks to the CFP. 

Edited by Drake
  • Applause 1

One thing about Lanning, while they had talent on the roster already, he took them to a historically #1 rated Defense in just a couple years.  As much as I disliked Tosh when he was with Cal, and even less with the perpil pooch mutts, he's a top recruiter and smart D coach, and the rest of the D coaches will DEVELOP players, something as Joshua points out, was a weak point under Mari Cristbal. 

KD and the offensive assistants will be great in all these aspects as well, development, recruiting, scheme...a couple top classes (which seem to be brewing already) and a Natty may be like the stupid right side mirrors on cars...closer than it appears.  I hope so of course!

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

I personally don’t want to see Oregon become a Georgia, or even an Alabama.

I want to see Oregon rise to a level where they become dominant year after year, so that other teams strive to become like Oregon.

• Mic drop 1
  • Great post! 1
  • Thumbs Up 3

We really don’t know how successful Lanning will be as a head coach. We know he was an excellent defensive coordinator at Georgia and is an outstanding recruiter. That much is clear.

But so was Cristobal (an offensive line coach)  before he got the Ducks’ head job. And look how that turned out. He recruited a bunch of 4-star players, and a few 5-stars……and coached them down.

But Lanning will be a first time head coach, and never has had the responsibility of overseeing an entire program. There will be 

growing pains, of course, and that it to be expected.

But I’m with everyone else on this board….very much looking forward to the new season and a new regime, and hope that Lanning turns out to be the “homerun” hire that he appears to be.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 6/15/2022 at 11:02 AM, PittDuck said:

so that other teams strive to become like Oregon.

Can I get your Kool Aid recipe?

• Applause 1

I'll keep this short and  sweet. I think that this article is right on and says precisely what I  have said  on the forum before. Championship rosters simply take time to assemble. 

Kirby Smart also inherited a decent roster and  had everyone  dialed in by  year two. That team  was  IMO the best team in the country but lost  in overtime to Bama in the natty. Yet, though that team should have won that game, Georgia's roster was not persistently championship class yet depth wise, and  had the Dawgs won that game, the achievement would have had a bit of flash-in-the-pan quality to it. 

Currently, the  Dawgs have that kind  of roster after four or  five straight  years of top  five  recruiting  classes. Alabama and Ohio state also have that kind  of roster. This is why they start out every season ranked in the top 5. And sorry, I got windier than I'd  planned.  Cut CDL some slack in the earlier years.  If  you do, then any notable achievement will be  that much sweeter.

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 2
  • Like 1

On 6/15/2022 at 2:05 AM, FishDuck Article said:

How much do we need to temper our expectations, at least immediately?

Kris-Hutson_Gary-Breedlove_FP-300x300-cr
FISHDUCK.COM

By all accounts, the Oregon Ducks knocked it out of the park by hiring Dan Lanning. The young, talented coach is an ace recruiter...

Great stuff Josh. I do find myself not fully agreeing with you on most everything you usually put out there. Lets start with Oregon will never flounder at the bottom end of the PAC 12 ever again or shouldn't ever. Phil Knight has made Oregon to me just in everything he's had built here Top 10 school W/O a doubt. Nike will more than likely be the top shoe sports apparel for the forseable future. Yes it's not gonna happen this year but not so fast.

Oregon has 7 Five star players coming to Oregon for officials in the next two weeks. 12 Four star players and 1 three star. That's massive recruiting being done right there. I remember looking at Georgia's classes the last 3 years and they were always 5 and 4 star classes pretty much full. If Oregon gets just half of these players to say sign in December that would be Oregon's best class to date trumping Mario by leaps and bounds.

Do I think Oregon wins it all this year? No but is there enough talent to get Oregon to the promised land? Yes I believe that. Its really up to Bo to show out this year and bring that 5 star ranking to the forefront. Oregon is finally getting close and I do except that fans should expect Oregon to take that next step and good for them to want this. I'm an old fan and I'm not certainly saying ancient either just old enough to know where it started with me and where we are right now.

I expect Oregon to be putting themselves to the top and I mean the top of the PAC 12 not SC.

• Thumbs Up 1

I will never be convinced that had Dixon not gone down the Ducks have the Heisman winner and the Natty in 2007. Take it to the outside Kenjon, they beat Auburn, don't have to worry about whether Dyer was down or not. What if Stanford and Nelson don't have dropsies in the first half, Oregon takes the lead and Cardale Jones is just a 3rd string QB, and Elliott doesn't run over the Ducks in the 2nd half.

The Ducks have had lots of chances to win the championship. After the fact it comes out that NO team has won the championship with recruiting like Oregon has had, and still doesn't to match the Alabama's and Georgia's. But they were thisclose

This year of course the odds are against Oregon winning it all. So what?

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Another great article that is well-thought and reasonable for Oregon fans.  Like most of you--I see things for the 2022 team that if things turn our way--could be exciting.

But the common sense of Joshua and Nevada Dawg above also resonates with me.  Do I listen to my heart or my head?

Now SHE is a fan!

A Dedicated Oregon fan_Kevin Cline.jpg

Mr. FishDuck

I am, of course, excited about the Oregon's potential for the upcoming season.  I'm also a realist at heart and understand that a tremendous number of things would have to go the exact right way for our Ducks to get to the CFP in Lanning's first season.

My expectation for a successful first year under DL:

• 10+ wins
  • Offense is balanced, consistent, and averages >=38 ppg
  • Defense averages <= 20 ppg 
  • Pac-12 championship appearance
  • Wins respective bowl game
  • 2023 recruiting class within the top 15
Edited by kirklandduck
  • Let’s hope! 1

I'll be honest here (I lie everywhere else. Can't trust me as far as you can throw me), I'm worried about Bo. I know that he will make some spectacular plays on the ground and through the air, but I know he has a tendency to make that one, "What the %$%*&% is he thinking?" throw.

On 6/15/2022 at 4:38 PM, Duckpop22 said:

I'll be honest here (I lie everywhere else. Can't trust me as far as you can throw me), I'm worried about Bo. I know that he will make some spectacular plays on the ground and through the air, but I know he has a tendency to make that one, "What the %$%*&% is he thinking?" throw.

Same here.  Hopefully Dillingham teaches him some extra discipline and patience.  My gut tells me that he's an above-average college QB at his best, which if you pair with good defense and special teams, is enough to win a Pac12 title.

Will the Ducks be good this year? Yes.

Will they have a better offense than Georgia? Maybe.

Will they have a better defense than Georgia? Not likely.

Will they be favored in most of their games? Probably.

Will the coaching staff get more out of our players? Without a doubt.

Will they win more games than Georgia? Possibly.

I don’t think Georgia will be as good as last year and I think the Ducks probably will be better. Going to be an interesting start of the season traveling east to start the season against the defending champs.

My money is on the Ducks and the points.

Go 🦆🦆🦆s

• Thumbs Up 1

On 6/15/2022 at 4:48 PM, kirklandduck said:

but I know he has a tendency to make that one, "What the %$%*&% is he thinking?" throw.

I understand your concern, but I will take the QB that will make the %$%^&% throw over the cautious checkdown one every day.

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 6/15/2022 at 12:54 PM, Steven A said:

Can I get your Kool Aid recipe?

Start with strapping young athletes with purpose and passion, blend in leaders with outstanding work ethics.

Add Equal parts Apple Green and Lightning Yellow, season with a dash of hope, a wing and a prayer.  Lean heavily on top cabin assistant coaches to bake in strength, execution, and perseverance until the Kool Aid stands up on its hind legs and swats any opponent into submission!

Want some?

• Wow 1
  • Mic drop 1
  • Great post! 1
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 6/15/2022 at 2:40 PM, PittDuck said:

Want some?

Hell yes, Bon Appetite

• Haha 1

You guys "quack" me up.

giphy.gif

• Mic drop 1

Mr. FishDuck

We have a good chance to be special this year. I believe the players will want to bad after what happened last year.

Yes there will be some hiccups along the way but I believe this team will overcome them with ease. I will be pleased to watch them dominate the Pac and win it and win a NY6 bowl game.

They will open the door to a possible PO game. I don't remember a time when that wasn't the goal. Get in and anything is possible. That will start us on the path.

The future is so bright we are going to have to wear our green and yellow sun glasses all the time until we climb the mountain and slay the dragon.

It's going to happen, when no one knows! But it can't not happen. We've been to close for the FB gods to not let everything break our way one time.  

• Applause 1

On 6/15/2022 at 4:51 PM, Just Ducky said:

don’t think Georgia will be as good as last year and I think the Ducks probably will be better. Going to be an interesting start of the season traveling east to start the season against the defending champs.

Well I guess I concur that Georgia may not be as good as last year. To say that they would be as good would imply that I an predicting another Natty and it has been a while since anyone repeated.

One thing I will predict is that the Georgia offense will be better than last year. They are now blessed with so many WRs and TEs that the passing game could be as good as anyone's. Last year's unit averaged  38.6 points a game, and that was with Smart slowing the offense in the 4th quarters of blowouts to avoid injuries. So my neck is out there but  I'm sticking with my offensive forecast.

Hi all you Duck fans.  I’m a Dawg fan but in no way a troll.  I’ve been checking out your forum and I must say I’m impressed.  You guys have class and I look forward to interacting with you a bit.

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Applause 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

As to this article, I agree for the most part.  It’s always best to temper expectations when major changes take place.  It might take time for everything to find proper direction.  Although, I firmly believe Lanning will be a great HC sooner rather than later.  He is already a great recruiter, and that will pay enormous dividends on the West Coast very quickly.  And likely the rest of the country soon after.

I was sad to see CDL leave UGA, but it was inevitable.  I was glad that he accepted the Oregon position though.  With the exception of a few tough years Oregon has had a very strong program for quite some time.  Lanning will lead the Ducks back to national prominence and to playoff contenders and maybe sooner than you think.

I’m very much looking forward to a reinvigorated Oregon-USC rivalry with Riley now at USC.  I’ll be pulling for the Ducks every time. 

As for Sept. 3, I’m not sure.  Don’t get me wrong, I’ve every reason to be confident in this game.  Any true college football fan can clearly see that GA has the advantages this time.  GA has more talent across the field, and is much deeper with talent.  Has an an established coaching staff as opposed to a first year staff.  But wait, the games on a neutral field Lol, nothing neutral about playing GA in Atlanta.  Sure, it’s a bit easier than coming into Sanford Stadium but it’s far from neutral.  Having said all this, you never know.  We are filling many holes from that dominating defense.  Albeit with great talent, but some unproven as of yet.  I think GA wins, but I predict it will be closer than many think.  

• Salute 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Thumbs Up 2
  • Like 1

Welcome SoGaDawg!  We welcome your insight on Georgia's perspective about the game and team.  I must say I always have green color glasses on, but am high on our new coaching staff and firmly believe Oregon will be become a much better team because of it.

• Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Go Ducks, Fly High!!  🦆

Edited by NJDuck

On 6/15/2022 at 7:57 AM, Log Haulin said:

Oregon won 10 games last year with a coach that had no idea what he was doing on game day. Oregon finishes with one loss (Ga) and they are in the CFP. There is a lot of talent on this team. 

Ducks have done more with less and lost by a FG. I think every kid on this team is fully bought in. So it will come down to execution and game management. A healthy Duck team can play with anyone in the country. Proved it last year in the Shoe with a horrible game time coach. 

It took Ga 40 years to win another title. So yeah... Ducks aren't Ga. Ducks are still looking for their first. When, not if, they get that first, it will come in a way none of us can predict. So why not now?

Well the big problem is I think most people assume progress is linear (i.e. we won 10 games last year so this year we'll win 11 or more), but that isn't always the case. Lanning may be an upgrade (as Smart was over Richt), and we could still struggle to accumulate at first, just because that's the nature of the business.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Like 1

On 6/15/2022 at 10:42 AM, Annie said:

When DL came to Daisies he told about the Chinese bamboo tree, which takes 5 years to grow.  It has to be watered and fertilized in the ground where it has been planted every day. It doesn't break through the ground for five years. After five years, once it breaks through the ground, it will grow 90 feet tall in five weeks!  While he didn't say that was how the Ducks' path was going to go, I sort of concluded that's what he might have meant.

Very, very awesome story, and I assume that's exactly what he was talking about. Maybe not exactly 5 years, but the point is it does take time to develop a championship culture.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Like 1

On 6/15/2022 at 2:00 PM, JDuck said:

One thing about Lanning, while they had talent on the roster already, he took them to a historically #1 rated Defense in just a couple years.  As much as I disliked Tosh when he was with Cal, and even less with the perpil pooch mutts, he's a top recruiter and smart D coach, and the rest of the D coaches will DEVELOP players, something as Joshua points out, was a weak point under Mari Cristbal. 

KD and the offensive assistants will be great in all these aspects as well, development, recruiting, scheme...a couple top classes (which seem to be brewing already) and a Natty may be like the stupid right side mirrors on cars...closer than it appears.  I hope so of course!

The combo of Lanning as a schemer and Tosh as a recruiter is really a gamechanger. (Lanning's an ace recruiter himself, too.) Their combination is easily the biggest reason why I believe we are going to get back to being a consistent CFP participant down the road.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 1

On 6/15/2022 at 3:22 PM, DUCKED said:

We really don’t know how successful Lanning will be as a head coach. We know he was an excellent defensive coordinator at Georgia and is an outstanding recruiter. That much is clear.

But so was Cristobal (an offensive line coach)  before he got the Ducks’ head job. And look how that turned out. He recruited a bunch of 4-star players, and a few 5-stars……and coached them down.

But Lanning will be a first time head coach, and never has had the responsibility of overseeing an entire program. There will be 

growing pains, of course, and that it to be expected.

But I’m with everyone else on this board….very much looking forward to the new season and a new regime, and hope that Lanning turns out to be the “homerun” hire that he appears to be.

This is a very good, measured approach. I am high on Lanning, but we absolutely don't know for sure how he's going to be as a head coach. I am cautiously optimistic as well, but we'll obviously have to see how he does before we call it a homerun hire.

On 6/15/2022 at 4:16 PM, Nevada Dawg said:

I'll keep this short and  sweet. I think that this article is right on and says precisely what I  have said  on the forum before. Championship rosters simply take time to assemble. 

Kirby Smart also inherited a decent roster and  had everyone  dialed in by  year two. That team  was  IMO the best team in the country but lost  in overtime to Bama in the natty. Yet, though that team should have won that game, Georgia's roster was not persistently championship class yet depth wise, and  had the Dawgs won that game, the achievement would have had a bit of flash-in-the-pan quality to it. 

Currently, the  Dawgs have that kind  of roster after four or  five straight  years of top  five  recruiting  classes. Alabama and Ohio state also have that kind  of roster. This is why they start out every season ranked in the top 5. And sorry, I got windier than I'd  planned.  Cut CDL some slack in the earlier years.  If  you do, then any notable achievement will be  that much sweeter.

Great input, especially appreciate the perspective from an opposing fan base. 

On 6/15/2022 at 5:22 PM, MaiTaiDuck said:

Great stuff Josh. I do find myself not fully agreeing with you on most everything you usually put out there. Lets start with Oregon will never flounder at the bottom end of the PAC 12 ever again or shouldn't ever. Phil Knight has made Oregon to me just in everything he's had built here Top 10 school W/O a doubt. Nike will more than likely be the top shoe sports apparel for the forseable future. Yes it's not gonna happen this year but not so fast.

Oregon has 7 Five star players coming to Oregon for officials in the next two weeks. 12 Four star players and 1 three star. That's massive recruiting being done right there. I remember looking at Georgia's classes the last 3 years and they were always 5 and 4 star classes pretty much full. If Oregon gets just half of these players to say sign in December that would be Oregon's best class to date trumping Mario by leaps and bounds.

Do I think Oregon wins it all this year? No but is there enough talent to get Oregon to the promised land? Yes I believe that. Its really up to Bo to show out this year and bring that 5 star ranking to the forefront. Oregon is finally getting close and I do except that fans should expect Oregon to take that next step and good for them to want this. I'm an old fan and I'm not certainly saying ancient either just old enough to know where it started with me and where we are right now.

I expect Oregon to be putting themselves to the top and I mean the top of the PAC 12 not SC.

Well I think we're probably pretty close to agreeing with each other on this actually. I don't think Oregon's very far from a championship run, and I think the recent recruiting uptick has been encouraging. I also don't think Oregon was going to fall into the Pac-12 gutter, just in the heart of a very crowded Pac-12 middle tier.

On 6/16/2022 at 6:15 AM, SoGaDawg said:

As to this article, I agree for the most part.  It’s always best to temper expectations when major changes take place.  It might take time for everything to find proper direction.  Although, I firmly believe Lanning will be a great HC sooner rather than later.  He is already a great recruiter, and that will pay enormous dividends on the West Coast very quickly.  And likely the rest of the country soon after.

I was sad to see CDL leave UGA, but it was inevitable.  I was glad that he accepted the Oregon position though.  With the exception of a few tough years Oregon has had a very strong program for quite some time.  Lanning will lead the Ducks back to national prominence and to playoff contenders and maybe sooner than you think.

I’m very much looking forward to a reinvigorated Oregon-USC rivalry with Riley now at USC.  I’ll be pulling for the Ducks every time. 

As for Sept. 3, I’m not sure.  Don’t get me wrong, I’ve every reason to be confident in this game.  Any true college football fan can clearly see that GA has the advantages this time.  GA has more talent across the field, and is much deeper with talent.  Has an an established coaching staff as opposed to a first year staff.  But wait, the games on a neutral field Lol, nothing neutral about playing GA in Atlanta.  Sure, it’s a bit easier than coming into Sanford Stadium but it’s far from neutral.  Having said all this, you never know.  We are filling many holes from that dominating defense.  Albeit with great talent, but some unproven as of yet.  I think GA wins, but I predict it will be closer than many think.  

Welcome SoGaDawg, always love hearing from the opposing fan bases. I'm with you on the opening game; UGA's just in another tier as far as talent right now. You guys, Bama, and Ohio State are on your own level. But the good thing for us (the Ducks) is that we get you early. If you were breaking in a new QB, I'd say there's at least a 30% chance we could pull of the upset. As things stand now, I'd be very shocked if we win, but wouldn't be surprised to see us keep it within a couple of possessions.

• Thanks 1

On 6/16/2022 at 4:30 AM, Joshua Whitted said:

just in the heart of a very crowded Pac-12 middle tier.

Josh, I disagree here.  Too much talent to be in the middle tier of a middling Pac 12.  Upper tier of a middling Pac 12 with Mari in charge of the opposite-of-defense (still can't use the term offense with him), so I think DL & Co. will keep us at the upper level.

Lets just pound the crap out of Utah first, then THE WORLD !

• Haha 1

I have to believe that the fact of having a first time HC and OC and the possible hiccups won't cost us any games due to the fact we have a lot of talent that is also very experienced, depth especially on the lines which other first time coaches didn't have, a bad taste in the players mouth from the implosion last year and an enthusiastic staff and players who feel FB is fun again. 

When you know you can play with anybody in the country, last year at tOSU, and win, then add in emotional motivation from the end of last season with the inspiration of having new coaching and joy of playing, and you've got a winning combination. 

Watch out Georgia, he we come.

• Applause 2
  • Thumbs Up 2

On 6/15/2022 at 7:57 AM, Log Haulin said:

Couldn't agree more! 

If Oregon can be competitive against GA and keep the outcome of the game up in the air into the 4th and then take care of BYU, I think they may have an amazing season.  If they lose both and it's ugly against GA....then I'll re-calibrate my expectations for this year. 

The Ducks going into OSU last year and beating them opened my eyes regarding the amount of talent on the roster.  As you said, the Ducks were a field go away before with a less talented roster but great coaching. 

I think in 2022 we may get to see what a loaded roster coupled with great coaching looks like and I can't wait.

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 6/16/2022 at 1:22 AM, Nevada Dawg said:

Well I guess I concur that Georgia may not be as good as last year. To say that they would be as good would imply that I an predicting another Natty and it has been a while since anyone repeated.

One thing I will predict is that the Georgia offense will be better than last year. They are now blessed with so many WRs and TEs that the passing game could be as good as anyone's. Last year's unit averaged  38.6 points a game, and that was with Smart slowing the offense in the 4th quarters of blowouts to avoid injuries. So my neck is out there but  I'm sticking with my offensive forecast.

UGA is a lot like Alabama in that they just re-load. They’ve been like that for a while, but they’ve been somewhat overshadowed. I think now that they’ve broken through we’ll see them put a few more trophies in the case. I think Kirby has done a good job of developing talent on his coaching staff as well as his players. The big thing UGA has going for them next year is Bennett. Not having to replace a championship QB and team leader is huge.

• Let’s hope! 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 6/17/2022 at 4:28 PM, Duck 1972 said:

I have to believe that the fact of having a first time HC and OC and the possible hiccups won't cost us any games due to the fact we have a lot of talent that is also very experienced, depth especially on the lines which other first time coaches didn't have, a bad taste in the players mouth from the implosion last year and an enthusiastic staff and players who feel FB is fun again. 

When you know you can play with anybody in the country, last year at tOSU, and win, then add in emotional motivation from the end of last season with the inspiration of having new coaching and joy of playing, and you've got a winning combination. 

Watch out Georgia, he we come.

Well said Sir.  I remember what the Ducks did to tOSU last season.  I’m not so confident to think it can’t happen against GA.  I expect and hope for a very good game.  If I’m being honest I must admit that I’m excited about playing Oregon this season, but also a bit worried, especially bc this game is in wk 1.  

• Thanks 1

On 6/18/2022 at 6:40 AM, DCDuckfan said:

Couldn't agree more! 

If Oregon can be competitive against GA and keep the outcome of the game up in the air into the 4th and then take care of BYU, I think they may have an amazing season.  If they lose both and it's ugly against GA....then I'll re-calibrate my expectations for this year. 

The Ducks going into OSU last year and beating them opened my eyes regarding the amount of talent on the roster.  As you said, the Ducks were a field go away before with a less talented roster but great coaching. 

I think in 2022 we may get to see what a loaded roster coupled with great coaching looks like and I can't wait.

I agree.  Since last season’s game against tOSU, the Ducks have once again been close to the center of my CFB radar.  Things will only get better I think.  I just hope the Ducks don’t realize their full potential in wk 1 Lol.  

• Haha 1

We may have the youngest roster in the Power 5 this year.  While the talent is there, Big Dan is a rookie coach. I expect growing pains.