Charles Fischer

WHERE is the Most Inexpensive Place to Retire?

My FishDuck Friends....I've had two dear friends who have been associated with this site tell me in the last week that they are moving in the future from where they reside, and are looking for a place to retire where the living costs are cheap.

Any suggestions for them?

I am locked into Eugene, (I can't leave Our Beloved Ducks) but I thought this would be of help for everyone.  Where can you buy housing inexpensively, or rent cheaply and live better than the majority of areas?  Public transit is important for some...

One fellow referred to it as "Looking for Mayberry," as he wants to live in a small town and get to know the people in the community.

Thoughts?

50 Best Small Town Main Streets in America - Top Value Reviews

Mr. FishDuck

Portugal.

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

My brother has been researching this a lot. 

He watches many videos on YouTube. I believe the channel he likes is called "World According to Briggs". This guy gives tons of different info on city or states. Like cost of living, community services, property values, etc.. He seems to know his stuff and puts in a lot or effort into his reviews. Seems to be a good source of info.

• Thumbs Up 1

There's any number of small towns in central/northern Arkansas that have that Mayberry feel to them. There's still plenty of outdoors things (golf/fishing) to keep you occupied and the home prices are low. Tell them to take a look at Hot Springs Village if golf is something they value. If they're more about fishing and hiking, Siloam Springs/Jasper/El Dorado might be more their speed.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 6/15/2022 at 12:06 PM, DUCati855 said:

My brother has been researching this a lot. 

He watches many videos on YouTube. I believe the channel he likes is called "World According to Briggs". This guy gives tons of different info on city or states. Like cost of living, community services, property values, etc.. He seems to know his stuff and puts in a lot or effort into his reviews. Seems to be a good source of info.

Ive seen his reviews too. There seems to be a few towns in Oregon and Idaho that are pretty safe and among the lowest costs for housing--if you can find something for sale or rent. Lots of people from Portland are moving to K Falls, McMinnville -Sheridan, Newberg and Redmond. Coos Bay is pretty cheap too.

On 6/15/2022 at 11:57 AM, DUCKED said:

Portugal.

Well Europe isn't something I have considered, but sure, let me check my passport status. I wonder how the rents would be here?

facebook_post_image_1585595244.jpg

On 6/15/2022 at 12:31 PM, 1Ducker1 said:

Ive seen his reviews too. There seems to be a few towns in Oregon and Idaho that are pretty safe and among the lowest costs for housing--if you can find something for sale or rent. Lots of people from Portland are moving to K Falls, McMinnville -Sheridan, Newberg and Redmond. Coos Bay is pretty cheap too.

I will definitely check out the channel for reviews. We had Seaside in the mix for a while, but there is no direct access to a major airport without a private car. Astoria has an occasional shuttle to PDX, but Astoria doesn't quicken our heart as Seaside does. Rents are a bit steep in Seaside, too.

Wife and I are researching right now too. Less than 5 years for us.

Anywhere in the south is cheaper.

Alabama: doesn't tax pensions, low income tax w/breaks for seniors, 2nd lowest property tax in US, no SS tax, lots of small towns

Tennessee: no income tax at all, low property tax, lots of small towns

Florida: no income tax

Texas: no income tax, property tax is high relatively 

Other states like Georgia and South Carolina offer great breaks for those 65 and over

Almost any southern state has a lower cost of living than oregon 

One member Jon? Who's big on conference expansion,  lives in a small town in South Carolina I believe 

People are really friendly, we were just there in May. Should have stayed.

Portugal.

The forum's Kurt Rambis lives there now.  He should have some good info.

Mexico.

On the northeast side. Some affordable areas, good medical too.

If you plan on getting any social security $$, be sure to read all the rules if you move out of country. 

Here is a site with some of the best places to retire on a budget.  Though, some of the other responses on here sounds great out of the country.

https://money.usnews.com/money/retirement/baby-boomers/slideshows/the-most-affordable-places-to-retire

Edited by NJDuck

Most countries in Europe have affordable rural towns and health care is affordable until Medicare kicks in....most EU countries have agreements with US Medicare to facilitate this.  If you are looking to buy property for retirement the EU makes sense since it is much cheaper.

We are debating rural Austria vs. Oregon Coast for retirement HQ. Housing is about half price in Austria.  Of course, other things are higher like groceries, gas (fuhgeddaboutit), energy.  But Austria Switzerland and Germany are spendy compared to Italy, France, Spain and Portugal.  French-speaking Belgium is another affordable region where you get a lot of house for the buck.

Dollar is about at its peak exchange now too.

Edited by idontrollonshobbas
  • Thumbs Up 1

Portugal.

The Portuguese Golden Visa is a sweet deal. Buy property for $300k and get permanent citizenship for self and family plus EU passport with no need to live there.

On 6/15/2022 at 7:57 PM, DUCKED said:

Portugal.

Well, as someone who lives in Portugal, I can tell you it's not the cheapest place in the world to live, but it's generally cheaper than the US, and I'm sure it's a whole lot nicer than Eritrea or Syria or South Crapistan or wherever actually is the cheapest place.

In general, life here is about 57 cents on the dollar compared to the US.  And if you stay out of the two big cities (Lisboa and Porto), it's cheaper than that.  I get a latte for about a buck, pay the housekeeper about six buck an hour, and just paid about $100 to put two new front tires on the car at the dealership.  So yeah, it has its advantages (including living income-tax-free for ten years).

Plus I can catch spam on OBD Forum in the middle of the night for you all, so you don't have to see it.  😁

• Applause 2
  • Thumbs Up 6
  • Like 1

On 6/15/2022 at 9:43 PM, DuckPhan19 said:

The Portuguese Golden Visa is a sweet deal. Buy property for $300k and get permanent citizenship for self and family plus EU passport with no need to live there.

Yeah, but they've already phased that out in large parts of the country (the more popular parts), and under EU pressure the countries that have the Golden Visa are going to phase it out completely.

I'm sure it would be easy to research cheap places to live in the US or the world, however I'm guessing cheap isn't the only requirement.

Places that are cheap are usually that way because no one wants to live there. So, welcome to Arkansas.

Since others  opened the international option, I'll chime in... Greetings from Malealea! A small village at 6000 ft elevation in southern  Lesotho. For so many reasons, this is paradise... For ME. 

And to answer your question, yes, I will see the Ducks' beat UG - LIVE. We have great internet! Especially during the wee hours of Sundays in the Spring (11 hours ahead, southern hemisphere).

• Thumbs Up 1

One of the home remodeling programs my wife watches is located in Laurel, Mississippi and the house prices quoted there were insanely low.  But then you remember what residents of Alabama say when confronted with the low literacy rates, high mortality rates, etc. concerning their state?

"At least we're not Mississippi!"

The Incredible Comeback of Laurel, Mississippi | Southern Living

• Cool 1

Mr. FishDuck

On 6/15/2022 at 1:57 PM, AfriDuck said:

Since others  opened the international option, I'll chime in... Greetings from Malealea! A small village at 6000 ft elevation in southern  Lesotho. For so many reasons, this is paradise... For ME. 

And to answer your question, yes, I will see the Ducks' beat UG - LIVE. We have great internet! Especially during the wee hours of Sundays in the Spring (11 hours ahead, southern hemisphere).

There is where you are...incredible!  Thanks.

image.png

Mr. FishDuck

On 6/15/2022 at 1:55 PM, jrw said:

Places that are cheap are usually that way because no one wants to live there. So, welcome to Arkansas.

I know a retired couple who moved to Jonesboro, Arkansas and they love it....

Downtown Jonesboro | Main street, Downtown, Street view

• Thumbs Up 1

Mr. FishDuck

On 6/15/2022 at 1:48 PM, Kurt Rambis said:

Plus I can catch spam on OBD Forum in the middle of the night for you all, so you don't have to see it.

While I tell people to "hug a moderator today," we can't quite do that with your distance from us....but keeping the forum clean in the middle of the night is something we are grateful for when we check into the site in the morning.

Moderators make the vision of a "No-Trolls" site possible, as they have our back.  God bless those who help!

• Thumbs Up 4

Mr. FishDuck

Equador, is cheap, and has a lot of compelling qualities. Quito is suppose to be one of the favorites for the expats. I have been to Costa Rica, and checked out another highly thought of area. 

If I didn't have a decent retirement I would consider the expat route, not for everyone. Here is one high end place in Costa Rica, if you want to live big on a smaller budget.

Escazu-Costa-Rica-Feature.jpg
INTERNATIONALLIVING.COM

The Escazú area has become an expat haven, so you’ll likely have English-speaking friends to go exploring with. There are many things to do..

"Looking for Mayberry"....

The Andy Griffith Mayberry was based on a small town in the Blue Ridge mountains named Mt. Airy. N.C.

The area is offline, but generally between Charlotte, N.C. and Roanoke, VA. The surrounding area has comparatively reasonable costs-of-living. rolling vistas, a mild climate, generally good schools ( do your research), and enjoys steady growth.

Nearby Galax, Virginia is the home of the national Old-Time Fiddler's convention.

I now live in South Carolina. Regarding the South, the past 10 years has brought enormous growth to the more desireable locales and popular cities. Demand for housing since 2019 is off the charts with housing prices responding accordingly. 

Where the comparable value is not what it once was, buyers moving from high priced markets in the NW and NE find considerable value and cost savings with huge tax savings here. 

There are very low-priced pockets, but buyer beware. We know the economy is squirrely now. Some will score opportunities and some will suffer. 

What lifestyle do you want? Are you culturally adaptable,? How much tolerance to risk do you have?

There is more to life than money, but an affordable and well-liked domicile and locale adds a lot. Don't forget access to healthcare as you consider retirement as you will need more doctors and possibly specialized practices than in your younger years.

• Thumbs Up 1

Wherever that may be, When in Rome do as the Romans do. Or I heard it put like this once " If you bring here there, there will become here ". 

• Haha 1

On 6/15/2022 at 3:20 PM, Notalot said:

The Andy Griffith Mayberry was based on a small town in the Blue Ridge mountains named Mt. Airy. N.C.

The area is offline, but generally between Charlotte, N.C. and Roanoke, VA. The surrounding area has comparatively reasonable costs-of-living. rolling vistas, a mild climate, generally good schools ( do your research), and enjoys steady growth.

Nearby Galax, Virginia is the home of the national Old-Time Fiddler's convention.

I now live in South Carolina. Regarding the South, the past 10 years has brought enormous growth to the more desireable locales and popular cities. Demand for housing since 2019 is off the charts with housing prices responding accordingly. 

Where the comparable value is not what it once was, buyers moving from high priced markets in the NW and NE find considerable value and cost savings with huge tax savings here. 

There are very low-priced pockets, but buyer beware. We know the economy is squirrely now. Some will score opportunities and some will suffer. 

What lifestyle do you want? Are you culturally adaptable,? How much tolerance to risk do you have?

There is more to life than money, but an affordable and well-liked domicile and locale adds a lot. Don't forget access to healthcare as you consider retirement as you will need more doctors and possibly specialized practices than in your younger years.

I visited Mt. Airy as a way to kick off this search for Mayberry. That was twenty years ago. I'm enjoying reading about the international places, but my Mayberry will be within the United States.

(To the healthcare comment from Notalot.) True that. A good hospital within an hour's drive is essential. I get twice monthly infusions for a condition that I have. As far as climate, I'm hearing a lot of comments about places that are HOT, HOT, in the summer. Don't want that. I know some want year-round warmth. Not me.

On 6/15/2022 at 3:20 PM, Notalot said:

Don't forget access to healthcare as you consider retirement as you will need more doctors and possibly specialized practices than in your younger years.

+1 My wife and I moved to an island in the upper end of Puget Sound.  While we did a lot of research and love the locale, the lack of amenities and health care selections are causing some pause in our thinking. We may at some point need to relocate back to the main land for those reasons.

I agree with the posters here. The south is TERRIBLE

Don't move there 

Consider overseas and stuff 

On 6/15/2022 at 4:20 PM, Notalot said:

The Carolinas are awesome.  I lived in Raleigh for 5 years and loved it.  It is becoming more expensive, but is still on sale if you are coming from the west coast. 

Edited by GeotechDuck

More..

I traveled in N. America extensively during my career years including 50 states, a half dozen canadian provinces, Most mexican states, and five central america countries.

In my 30's and 40's I used to think about where I wanted most to settle. The areas that I identified then and committed to memory are:

- N. California Eureka to Roseburg, OR

- The Ozarks area of AR and MO

- SW Virginia, Eastern TN, Upstate SC in the Blue Ridge, Applachian/Smokies mountain areas.

The list still looks pretty good to me today, though I realize most other people would choose otherwise. 

Greenville, SC where I live is located 75 minutes from Asheville, NC, two hours from Atlanta, 90 minutes from Charlotte, NC. 90 minutes from Columbia the state capitol, and 3 hours from the beach at Charleston.

I might add that we have many "half-backs" here. They are those who moved to Florida from norhern states, then moved again to South Carolina to flee the Florida heat and hurricanes.

"to flee the Florida heat and hurricanes." When I wrote The Greatest Road Trip Ever Taken" (available on Amazon) I talked to a couple who had planned for years to retire in Florida. About two weeks in and they had enough of the humidity AND THE BUGS! Oh my goodness the bugs in Florida could have saddles and fly you to South Carolina.

• Thumbs Up 1

They say that the official bird of South Carolina is the mosquito!

• Haha 1

Mr. FishDuck

Quito Ecuador is beautiful, lots of English spoken, money goes a long way and may have the most desirable climate of anyplace I have ever been.  It is 75-80 degrees ever day of the year (10,000 feet above sea level).  You won't spend a lot on heating/cooling!  However, medical is sketchy.

Panama, due to canal history and lots of US expats, has reasonably good health care, is US dollar-based and is seamless with SS & Medicare.  The coastal area are Florida-esque in terms of climate and critters.  In the hills, the climate is much milder.  Boquete is at nearly 4,000 feet.

• Like 1

On 6/16/2022 at 2:08 AM, Charles Fischer said:

They say that the official bird of South Carolina is the mosquito!

Many would say "Gamecock". Personally, I haven't seen a mosquito at my home in 2-3 years.  At my RV site there were 2-3 in the camper last year - none yet this year. I remember more in Eugene. MANY more in the cascades.

Edited by Notalot
  • Cool 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 6/15/2022 at 10:59 AM, Charles Fischer said:

My FishDuck Friends....I've had two dear friends who have been associated with this site tell me in the last week that they are moving in the future from where they reside, and are looking for a place to retire where the living costs are cheap.

Any suggestions for them?

I am locked into Eugene, (I can't leave Our Beloved Ducks) but I thought this would be of help for everyone.  Where can you buy housing inexpensively, or rent cheaply and live better than the majority of areas?  Public transit is important for some...

One fellow referred to it as "Looking for Mayberry," as he wants to live in a small town and get to know the people in the community.

Thoughts?

50 Best Small Town Main Streets in America - Top Value Reviews

Bandon.

My inlaws just retired and after many years of research and visiting different places, they decided on Bulgaria. Their biggest concern was cost.

If cost was my only concern, I know of at least 5 houses in different parts of Mexico that I could live rent free, just for taking care of the place. I won´t because I want to live close to kids and grandkids.

• Thumbs Up 1

My parents moved to San Felipe in Baja back in the late 90's.  Back then it was cheap, but no longer.  Gonna have to head further South I think.

Guest Axel

Where not to retire is a good place to start in determining where to retire. With that in mind, here are…

The Top 10 places NOT to retire

10.  K2

9. Lincoln Riley’s pool cabana

8. Outer Mongolia / Inner Corvallis (tie)

7.  Coral Gables (unless you like boring college football)

6.  Tornado Alley

5.  Any cardboard box under any bridge

4.  Pyongyang

3.  A crack house in Seattle

2.  Any house in Seattle

1.  Anywhere the hell near Seattle

As soon as I see it is "Axel" and the places to not retire at....I am already laughing and I haven't read it yet!  Talk about training me to involuntary reactions from just reading!

How about Lubbock, Texas or as one FishDuck writer described Starkville, Mississippi as "the backwater of the SEC."

The 21 Stages Of Moving Back In With Your Parents | Lubbock texas, Lubbock,  Loving texas

Mr. FishDuck