30Duck

Brown or Shough? The Choice Is Clear Here.

I would like to see someone beat Brown for the QB1 spot. We have a QB room full of potential. While Thompson may be the future, an intriguing candidate for me is Ashford. 

A true multi-sport athlete that can throw the ball and has the speed to be a true running threat. Seems like Moorehead’s offense is made for that type of guy. 

May the best man win. 

Edited by Drake

30 minutes ago, Drake said:

I would like to see someone beat Brown for the QB1 spot.

Brown could begin the season as starter and give way to a talented newcomer, as what happened in 2016...

• Thumbs Up 2

Mr. FishDuck

42 minutes ago, Charles Fischer said:

Brown could begin the season as starter

This makes sense to me.  Brown is the most experienced QB and, based on what we saw towards the end of 2020, gives us the best chance of winning early in the season.  All the better if Thompson or another QB beats him out as the season progresses.

I personally would like to see a reload rather then a repeat. Time for new blood to have their chance. 

• Like 1

Could be a 2008 type of year at the qb position. We had Justin Roper who looked like the starter, but got hurt and never panned out. We also had a freshman named Darren Thomas who looked good, but didn't make it as a starter that year. Then we also had the athlete Chris Harper come in and give it a go, but not a qb. Out of nowhere, actually the JC route, came Masoli. The main item is there was a lot of different qb's in the mix that year.

I think we may see clarity, but we could also see a year like 2008. Will we see the next great one, like Darren Thomas, but it be too early? Might we also see somebody few expect to take the job, like Masoli did, take over. My pick is Ty to actually take over and Ashford to become the capable back-up who just might get some playing time.

I just don't see a Masoli type guy in the experienced group so I am going with the young guns. Another item is we had (2) 1,000+ yd. rushers that year, and I don't see that happening this year, we need a qb to make it happen.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Haywarduck said:

Could be a 2008 type of year at the QB position.

Gosh I love it when someone brings up a comparison to the past that I had not thought of.  That is quite right, and nice catch Haywarduck.

oregon football | Doin Work

Mr. FishDuck

This is why I pay attention.

I think it’s fun to speculate but even more when lower ranked or evaluated players make big gains in off seasons. 

That Mariota guy was a three star and relatively unheard of. 

this is the beauty of college ball. Kids becoming men.

Some can’t miss types flop and then there are my favorites, the guys we don’t know who will work so hard they become stars.

The culture looks strong and building an ever better program. exciting times to be a duck. 

I hate to see the Ducks again use a 1 year wonder in Brown when there is so much talent in the QB room.  Unfortunately, this past year the young qbs didn't get much camp time to hone their abilities.   With Thompson coming in and still two young recruits, if we're able to have a full spring and fall camp, who knows which player could emerge as a potential starter.  Shough may not be the answer, but maybe one of these 3 will be.

22 minutes ago, Haywarduck said:

My pick is Ty to actually take over

This is what I'm hoping for, and your point about the 1000 yard rushers not being there is a great one, requiring a dynamic QB to take over, and I didn't see, "dynamic" in either Brown or Shough. 

47 minutes ago, Vandownbytheriverduck said:

I think it’s fun to speculate but even more when lower ranked or evaluated players make big gains in off seasons

This is a great point.  And, one reason I'm leery of wholly jumping on the Ty Thompson hype train for the 2021 season.  Mariota was a 3* recruit in 2012.  Vernon Adams was a 0* recruit in 2011.  For context, the top-rated QB recruits in 2011 and 2012 were Jeff Driskel (UF) and Jameis Winston (FSU), respectively.  The #2 QB in 2012 was Cyler Miles (UW).  We could go on with examples but I believe it is appropriate to take high school recruiting rankings for QBs with somewhat of a grain of salt.

Edited by Duckman

I honestly think we’re being a little harsh when talking about Shough’s season. His first year starting stats are very similar to Justin Herbert’s.

This was in one of the toughest season to ever happen to college sports. I understand he was sophomore and Herbert was a freshman, but he was new in this offense and didn’t exactly have to most ideal situations to learn it in. 

I'm also a fan of AB. I’m sure whoever comes out of camp will be the best guy for the job. 

06DB0E04-A75E-44A6-885B-85701C57F2FC.jpeg

FA78FFF5-62E5-4638-B676-8BCC5D36D36D.jpeg

• Thumbs Up 3

58 minutes ago, Vandownbytheriverduck said:

That Mariota guy was a three star and relatively unheard of. 

So was that Herbert guy...

• Thumbs Up 1

46 minutes ago, Coach Eric Boles said:

I honestly think we’re being a little harsh when talking about Shough’s season.

A voice of reason backed up by facts, and I gotta love it. While it is not the conclusion I want, I must respect yours.  I love learning from others and seeing other opinions, because it makes me reconsider mine such as this example.  In other forums--you would often feel intimidated to voice a "non-popular" view, and thus would not offer it.  

This comment by Coach Boles above illustrates how we need to see all opinions, and I appreciate everyone offering theirs.

giphy.gif

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 1

Mr. FishDuck

I'd prefer to jump straight to TT, but if he isn't the best guy for the job, then I'll root for who is.  I don't think Brown or Shough passed the eye test for a top QB in a power 5 conference.  No idea if it was because of the strangenous of the season or if they just aren't very good.  We'll get to see next season.

1 hour ago, Coach Eric Boles said:

I’m sure whoever comes out of camp will be the best guy for the job. 

This is always my opinion, though at times it may be wrong.  The coaches see and know a lot more than is even possible for me. Fortunately for the team, they are making these decisions and not I.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Charles Fischer said:

A voice of reason backed up by facts, and I gotta love it. While it is not the conclusion I want, I must respect yours.  I love learning from others and seeing other opinions, because it makes me reconsider mine such as this example.  In other forums--you would often feel intimidated to voice a "non-popular" view, and thus would not offer it.  

This comment by Coach Boles above illustrates how we need to see all opinions, and I appreciate everyone offering theirs.

giphy.gif

And that’s not to say that he’s there. He’s not, and he has plenty of room for improvement. But given the situation of the 2020 season, I think we should pump the brakes on tossing him to the side.

Whoever wins the QB competition, I’m here for it.

• Thumbs Up 3

There is more to being a top QB than simply the numbers. T.S. needs S&C, coaching, experience, lots of film, confidence and mental and physical toughness. IMO, he needs stiff competition and to earn the starting job.

Again, in my eyes he lost it and he was not Oregon’s best option at QB the last few games of 2020. Play the one who gives our team the best chance to win at the moment. Plan for the long haul at intervals. Don’t lose games to protect the QB’s phsyche.

• Thumbs Up 1

Pass efficiency rating generally is high with a high yards per attempt number (every QB that averaged over 9 yards per attempt ended up with a pass efficiency rating over 160, and every QB over 160 was in the top 15 in the final NCAA pass efficiency list, everyone over 10 y/a at the top). TS was 9.3.

I'm not a huge PFF guy, but they do appear to dig a bit deeper (and often better catch the complete picture). Their rating of QBs tracks (and rates) things such as: throws completed into tight windows, completion percentage under pressure, completion percentage from a clean pocket, big time throw percentage, creating outside structure, accuracy, turnover worthy play rate, completion percentage outside the pocket, QB fault/uncatchable throw rate, completions on throws of 10+ yards, decision making, accuracy, etc., etc.

For 2020, they rated Shough 11th out of 12 starting QBs in the Pac-12, ahead of only Utah's Bentley. His overall just passing grade was 9th out of 12. This in a season where the Pac-12 didn't really seem overwhelmed with top QB play (Mills, Slovis, Morris at the top).

Edited by AnotherOD
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 1

To me, who gives us the best chance to beat The Buckeyes on their field next year?  I would say that if we had a Vernon Adams going into OSU, I'd REALLY like our chances. You just can't teach the feel VA instinctively had!  The good news is OSU is breaking in a new QB too.  Now can Shough be rebuilt with confidence?  I have my doubts and against a team as fast and disciplined as OSU on D, it's a tall task for a great QB. Marcus and Herbert both would have to bring their A games.   Brown seems like the stronger   mental candidate and I think that's why he came back.  Even then, Brown will have to have the best game he's ever had to beat these Buckeyes.   I could see Ty coming in at the 3rd quarter, if he shows well spring and fall camps  and Brown struggles early at The Shoe. 

I'm not sure that Robby Ashford will get a fair shake come spring ball but I like a baseball player with his size, dual threat and a fast release.  That could be a Russell Wilson type of special.  Sure would like to see what he could do in JoMo's offense with the 1's, if even just for some meaningful spring work. 

In defense of Shough, he worked behind arguably the weakest OL in the last four years.  A year of OL maturation and plugging Kingsley Saumataia in at left tackle will hopefully give him a needed confidence boost.

One time great, Dennis Dixon, was a baseball player and gave that up for football. I'd say, it worked out pretty good.

I think Ashford can be a real threat to other teams.

Edited by countryboy541

In defense of Shough, he worked behind arguably the weakest OL in the last four years

PFF had the following ratings among Pac-12 OL:

OT: Jones #10, Aumavae-Laulu #12, Moore #20

OG: Walk #5, Bass #9

Center: Forsyth #2

In their December 3, 2020 rankings 1 to 127:

32. OREGON

The fact that Oregon’s offensive line ranks this high is quite a surprise considering they lost all five starters from last year’s unit to the NFL, graduation and, in Penei Sewell’s case, an opt-out. Left tackle Steven Jones has yet to start a game this year but has proven he deserves to do so with his performance so far. Jones has logged 172 snaps despite not receiving a start, recording the fourth-best PFF grade among Pac-12 tackles (79.1).

I believe they ended up ranking the 2019 OL #1 in their final rankings (Oregon-Georgia-Alabama-tOSU).

Overall in 2020, maybe about what the consensus was? Solid, with room to grow. Not as successful as 2019, but, losing the top 6, pretty tough to duplicate .

Edited by AnotherOD

2 hours ago, Southern Duck said:

To me, who gives us the best chance to beat The Buckeyes on their field next year?  I would say that if we had a Vernon Adams going into OSU, I'd REALLY like our chances. You just can't teach the feel VA instinctively had!  The good news is OSU is breaking in a new QB too.  Now can Shough be rebuilt with confidence?  I have my doubts and against a team as fast and disciplined as OSU on D, it's a tall task for a great QB. Marcus and Herbert both would have to bring their A games.   Brown seems like the stronger   mental candidate and I think that's why he came back.  Even then, Brown will have to have the best game he's ever had to beat these Buckeyes.   I could see Ty coming in at the 3rd quarter, if he shows well spring and fall camps  and Brown struggles early at The Shoe. 

I'm not sure that Robby Ashford will get a fair shake come spring ball but I like a baseball player with his size, dual threat and a fast release.  That could be a Russell Wilson type of special.  Sure would like to see what he could do in JoMo's offense with the 1's, if even just for some meaningful spring work. 

AB has some of Adam's qualities. Check out some of his Boston College films. He's a tough and wiley competitor.

I'm not sure we have seen the best that the Joe Moorhead offense has to offer. The first year installed doesn't bring it all out and on display. 

Whoever takes the reins this season should have a better team and a better playbook to work with. Neither of the two QB's we've seen last season will be able to take us to the playoffs and will just be one year wonders at best. What we need is a longer term QB that can grow over several years at the job and take us to the National Title game. 

The Ducks are not going get to the "Big Game" using short term thinking, It's time to have a long term strategy.

giphy.gif

Whichever QB or QBs (?!) will play in 2021 will benefit from an improved (I think) receivers group. I sure hope that we will have a couple of receivers that are fast enough or crafty enough to get separation from the defenders. My trust is with our coaches to improve our QBs and figure out which QB brings the greatest probability of making plays and winning the game.

I recall the year that Roper had to come in after a number of our QBs were injured; Justin (4th string QB?) came in and won the Sun Bowl for us. He was prepared enough to bring us a victory, so credit to him and the coaches that prepared him for success! 

11 hours ago, Aix11 said:

I recall the year that Roper had to come in after a number of our QBs were injured; Justin (4th string QB?) came in and won the Sun Bowl for us. He was prepared enough to bring us a victory, so credit to him and the coaches that prepared him for success! 

I recall that in the lead up to that game one of the Duck's players was asked if Roper was good enough to lead the team. The answer was something like:  The Ducks recruited him; of course he's good enough!

• Like 1

I'm still angry we are traveling to tOSU.  With pretty much every OOC game cancelled last year, every team should have pushed their OOC games back 1 year.  Ducks are getting hosed as this isn't going to be a home and home game with tOSU.  I know the optics wouldn't look good, but if I'm Oregon I tell tOSU our contract is void.  I wish the NCAA would disallow teams to schedule OOC more than 3 years in advance.

I would have to imagine there is specific language in the contract for just about any circumstance.

Beyond optics, there is a pretty significant financial impact to the AD for carrying out one side of the contract without getting the return.

I suppose a number of outcomes are possible, but I would imagine if game one happens, game two will as well, just possibly not until something like 2029 or 2030?

On 1/27/2021 at 10:31 AM, Coach Eric Boles said:

I honestly think we’re being a little harsh when talking about Shough’s season. His first year starting stats are very similar to Justin Herbert’s.

This was in one of the toughest season to ever happen to college sports. I understand he was sophomore and Herbert was a freshman, but he was new in this offense and didn’t exactly have to most ideal situations to learn it in. 

I'm also a fan of AB. I’m sure whoever comes out of camp will be the best guy for the job. 

06DB0E04-A75E-44A6-885B-85701C57F2FC.jpeg

FA78FFF5-62E5-4638-B676-8BCC5D36D36D.jpeg

I'm inclined to agree not to count Shough out.  Last year was stacked against him from the get-go with spring workouts truncated to just a few weeks, a short pre-season, no OOC cupcake games, a new offense to learn, and a whole new OL.  His first 3 starts of last season showed that he has the talent to start, he now has some advantage with a "half" season of experience under his belt.  My bet is that he's QB1 next season assuming regular Spring workouts and a full pre-season to iron things out.

1 minute ago, kirklandduck said:

I'm inclined to agree not to count Shough out.

This is sound. The first 3 games of the season were easier, Shough and the team regressed as the season went on, rising up in the championship game against USC. If Shough's confidence wasn't destroyed by the end of the season, and he can compete and win the starting job, I think that would be a great sign going forward. 

2 hours ago, 30Duck said:

If Shough's confidence wasn't destroyed by the end of the season, and he can compete and win the starting job, I think that would be a great sign going forward. 

It would certainly be a sign that last year the coaches were right. I think they were right anyway, given the circumstances and the choices that they had.

3 hours ago, kirklandduck said:

This is a good point and Dennis Dixon is an example of a QB that struggled with consistency one year (2006) before making a massive leap the following year. 

However, I would argue the trajectories between Herbert and Shough are different.  Herbert was a true freshman in 2016 and improved as the season progressed.  In contrast, Shough was a redshirt sophomore in 2020 and noticeably regressed.  Not necessarily counting Shough out but I do not have the optimism post year one with Shough that I did with Herbert.

I do believe Shough will get another go, but he made it easy for somebody else to win the job.

One reason I like golf is if you don't play well you don't do well. There isn't any, well we like Tiger so he should play on the weekend. If Tiger doesn't make the cut he makes no money.

In team sports there is all of this qualitative stuff. I get it, but in the end if you don't get better, or hold the line, somebody else is going to take your spot. Shough has to show he is getting better, or he won't be playing on the weekend.

1 hour ago, Duckman said:

This is a good point and Dennis Dixon is an example of a QB that struggled with consistency one year (2006) before making a massive leap the following year. 

Whew!  Think of it....in his first year--Dennis Dixon could not beat out Brady Leaf!

Mr. FishDuck

To me Anthony Brown is a Taysom Hill kinda guy and should be used accordingly. TS just couldn't handle the pressure when the blitz came and made mistakes that could be corrected but just didn't seam to have the it factor. Ashford seems to have that Vernon Adams, Darren Thomas throw on the run under pressure aspect of the game that has always work well for Oregon.

Unless Ty Thompson is looking so good that they do just can't hold him back, Ashford should be the man. He's dynamic and just seams to make it happen ala Vernon Adams. 

Edited by Dave23

I keep wondering (I’ll leave it to the learned contributors of this forum to educate me) what JM has done in the past? Not only is he OC, he is the QB coach.  

Does he lean toward giving the future QB some playing time, or will he play the best he’s got for 4 Qtrs?  He seemed willing to change things up late this year for sure.

Either way, with the talent and leadership in the QB room, coupled with a new and talented DC coaching up some of the most talented group of defensive players we’ve ever had, Duck fans have a lot to look forward to!

Go Ducks!

On 1/30/2021 at 10:51 AM, PittDuck said:

Does he lean toward giving the future QB some playing time, or will he play the best he’s got for 4 Qtrs?  He seemed willing to change things up late this year for sure.

Thats a good question PittDuck. I would think the decision would be up to the head coach. JM can give input but the bottom line would be Cristobal's to make. With Cristobal being very conservative, so much so that he would rather sit on a 1 point lead then to get aggressive and pile it on, I would think he would rather keep one for all 4 Qtrs. 

https://bceagles.com/sports/football/roster/anthony-brown/11348

Brown until someone else can take it away from him

5 hours ago, Darksider said:

It is an easy thing to learn how to link, everyone,....to place the above link onto a word like this, you simply have a couple of clicks is all and you can learn how in the Directions up in the header bar.

Go to how to use the Posting Box and then scroll down to No. 13, "How to install a link."  Real easy, and once you got it--you will have fun with it.  Dittos for videos, pictures and GIFs!

Mr. FishDuck