ICamel

MariØ CristØbal

Many of us have become enamored with leaving the "o" out of Mario and Cristobal because he didn't have an offense.

Want to know how to slash out the "o" in MariØ CristØbal?

Symbol Name = Slashed O

Symbol            Ø

Windows Shortcut = Hold down "Alt then 0,2,1,6 in sequence". Only keep the "Alt" key held down, and don't hold down the 0, 2, 1, 6 keys while entering them. When you take your fingers off the keyboard after "6" and release the "Alt" key the Ø will appear.

Mac Shortcut = Hold down "Option + Shift + O", all at the same time.

IPhone = Hold down the letter "o" until the options appear above the "keyboard", then slide your finger across the screen to select the Ø. This also works for Android(thank you to @Krsmqn for verifying it!).

• Salute 1
  • Cool 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 2
  • Great post! 1
  • Applause 2

I think by the end of November you will be thrilled that he left!

• Thumbs Up 1

On 6/16/2022 at 10:08 AM, mrspenney said:

I think by the end of November

Sorry, not waiting that long, ship sailed last year.

• Go Ducks! 2
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

MariNO-O.

• Thumbs Up 1

I was thrilled by the end of November.......................2021😜

• Mic drop 3
  • Thumbs Up 1

Im just thrilled peroid.

• Thumbs Up 1

Up in the dashboard of the Posting Box is a symbol that looks like S and it is called "Strikethrough" and can be easily applied to any letter or word on a desktop or pad.  Just highlight the letter or word then click on the S and you can create words like...

Mario Cristobal

I could not achieve what ICamel referred to above, but the strikethrough does make a point too.

Fun stuff.

• Thumbs Up 1

Mr. FishDuck

Fun & Good Stuff!👍

Moved on from Mariø the day I was introduced to Dan Lanning. At first I was on the Lane Train but man crushed immediately after Dans intro presser. 

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Salute 1
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

The O in Mario will always remind me of the greatest in season win ever in Duck history. Last year!

Better than the Mich game years back....

• Thumbs Up 1

Good stuff, but there is a reason the windshield is bigger than the rear view mirror. The future looks bright, and what behind us, is best left there!

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 4

I honestly don't understand this thing you guys have with Mario, he left your program set up for a very nice run. In my opinion Ithink you guys don't have the right frame of mind.

I have noticed you guys talk about ex coaches and say things like he wasn't a real Duck and that  Oregon needs a coach who is a real Duck and is loyal and a lifer. Well if Lanning doesn't perform up to whatever standard Oregon thinks he should Oregon will not be loyal to Lanning and he will be fired.

I don't think that would be wrong as football is a bottom line business and you either perform or you are gone. The U came out of nowhere and built a dynasty with coaches that  were not planning on staying at the U forever.

Lou Saban who got us the first couple of classes that became the foundation of our first sustained success left us for one of the service academies. Howard Schnellenberger  or Shnelly as we always called him out of love and respect left us for the USFL after taking us to our first championship.

Jimmy Johnson left us for the cowboys after getting us our 2nd championship.  Erickson was fired after winning 2 more championships. Butch Davis left us for the browns after building the greatest college football team of all time.

And last of them Larry Coker was fired a few years after he took the team that Butch built and won another championship and had he burned Frank Gores red shirt in the championship game against OSU after Mcgahee was injured he would have won another title.

Through all these coaching changes us Fans were never sore about the coaches leaving we were always focused on who the next guy was going to be.  As a matter of fact we had no real problem with coaches leaving as we figured if they left for a "better" job it was because they did well and we probably had another championship on the board.

Sure we were a little sad to see them go but we understood that this was part of the game.

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

I think Stormrider has an interesting perspective.  When Urban Meyer left Utah there were some fans that were bitter, but a lot that were thankful for how he had lifted the program and continued to follow him and wished him well.  Totally understood taking a better opportunity and that he was not going to stay in Utah long term.

Looking from the outside it seems like the difference with MC is based on the belief that he did not do what those Miami coaches did - deliver at the highest level.  It feels like Duck fans were frustrated by him not delivering to the level of talent he had and not being willing to adjust when things weren’t working.  Not fun to watch and dropping games they should win gnawed at fans.   I was pretty neutral on MC until the pac-12 championship.  Thought he barely even mailed it in and had a terrible game plan against a team he just faced a few weeks earlier that had flaws that could be exploited.  If I were a Duck fan, I would never forgive him for that

• Go Ducks! 2
  • Applause 1
  • Like 1

I have to agree with stormrider on this. We can all see MC's shortcomings as a head coach looking back over the last few years. Great recruiter and iffy in game manager. Limited offensive creativity with an overemphasis on brute force and 'physicality'. Even the Rose Bowl season was a study in untapped potential for Herbert and the offense. The defense kept Oregon in that game and a few others, ASU notwithstanding. I've become convinced that MC going back home to Miami was good for him, and good for the Ducks. No ill will. He left us in better shape than when he got here. I'm ready to move on and embrace the LanninEra, for as long as it lasts.

• Applause 2
  • Thumbs Up 2

Guest Axel
On 6/16/2022 at 9:04 PM, Goutes18 said:

I was pretty neutral on MC until the pac-12 championship.  Thought he barely even mailed it in and had a terrible game plan against a team he just faced a few weeks earlier that had flaws that could be exploited.  If I were a Duck fan, I would never forgive him for that

I will take pleasure in lampooning Mario Cristobal in the coming days. Last year's Pac-12 championship game was an embarrassment and a disgrace, and Cristobal obviously didn't give a damn. Playing for a berth in the Rose Bowl is a huge deal, a tremendously exciting opportunity; Cristobal treated that Pac-12 title game like it was a Pop Warner scrimmage. He has richly earned enmity and ridicule from the Ducks fan base. 

There are a number of things that I can predict confidently: the sun will rise in the east tomorrow, the Washington Huskies will always choose to reside in that hellhole called Seattle, and Mario Cristobal will do a big, fat pratfall as head coach of the Miami Hurricanes, breaking untold fans' hearts in the process.

Ok Stormrider, I will look back through the rearview mirror one more time. I think, much like the fanbase you speak for, we are grateful for the recruiting and team MariØ built. The problem was the disconnect between what he said and what he did, not acceptable in these parts.

In my experience, in Oregon you can get things done through a handshake. Somebody says they are going to do something, you shake on the deal, and it is done. If the agreed upon deal is not done, the individual won't be successful and he should move on, end of story. Many on Fishduck feel MariØ said he was going to respect, and build on what Oregon had been and he didn't. This disconnect doesn't sit well with me, or many Oregon Duck fans.

While we are grateful, we see his weaknesses and don't appreciate his sleight of words. I can appreciate it may seem petty, but most just don't think he will be successful after what we have experienced, and are glad he moved on.

While I see mild success with the qb he inherits, much like he had here, I don't see anything too exciting. Much like the stadium that was promised, much of what MariØ comes with is just hot air. If history holds, his act will start to get old after about 3-4 years, and then you too will wonder where all the promises went.

I also find it interesting you say, 'the last of them' and reference Larry Coker. You fail to reference how Miami treated the last half dozen coaches since, and especially how Manny Diaz was treated. I suppose that doesn't fit the narrative you try and create about the hurricane fanbase?

• Mic drop 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

I am not a big fan of replaying the tapes of all we have been through as Oregon fans for fans of other schools, but if stormrider or any others truly want more information...the crux of it all is below.

Nick_Saban_2020-300x300-cropped.jpg?p=18
FISHDUCK.COM

We all grew up hearing "Defense wins Championships," and the early Nick Saban National Championship teams at Alabama epitomized this mantra.

Rob-Mullens-at-MC-Intro-Press-Conference
FISHDUCK.COM

ve often wondered what Athletic Director Rob Mullens was expecting of Oregon's offense when he announced Mario Cristobal as head football coach in his news...

The-Duck-and-Fans-at-Ohio-State_Fox-Spor
FISHDUCK.COM

Yes, you read that right; the problem for Mario Cristobal are the fans at Oregon. He runs a team under an old philosophy, an old way of winning.

Mario-Cristobal_Fox-Video-300x300-croppe
FISHDUCK.COM

Everyone is still reeling from unexpected losses to opponents that most would place in the bottom half of the conference. I actually wonder if the team truly...

• Thumbs Up 1

Mr. FishDuck

Guest Axel
On 6/17/2022 at 8:58 AM, Charles Fischer said:

I am not a big fan of replaying the tapes of all we have been through as Oregon fans for fans of other schools, but if stormrider or any others truly want more information...the crux of it all is below.

Those who ignore history are doomed to repeat it. Mario Cristobal will not magically become a great coach just because he's returned to his alma mater. He is what he is--a good recruiter, a poor developer of talent, a poor offensive strategist, and a poor in-game manager. Cristobal does have cunning culinary skills--he's quite accomplished at cooking up alibis for his failures.

Kicks me out to the forum front page.  It's ok he'll always be Mari Cristbal to me

On 6/16/2022 at 8:02 PM, stormrider said:

I honestly don't understand this thing you guys have with Mario, he left your program set up for a very nice run.

As a Duck fan, I agree with the second statement here.  He left the program in much better shape than he found it.  Big difference between his departure and that of his predecessor.  So, why 'the thing' with MariØ amongst Duck fans? 

He is disorganized.  Literally had to a call a timeout before the first play from scrimmage in his first home game in 2018. 

He is a terrible in-game strategist.  Pulled defeat from the jaws of victory in big games against Stanford in 2018 and Auburn in 2019 due to boneheaded fourth quarter decisions. 

He does not play the most talented players.  He stuck with mostly ineffectual, 3* players at WR and RB in 2021 while leaving more talented underclassmen on the bench for most of the season.  Check out the offensive explosion in the Holiday bowl when the best players actually played. 

He is thin-skinned.  Threw a temper tantrum due to some boo birds in a home game against Cal in 2021.

His teams play down to the competition.  See games against bad teams in 2021 - Arizona, Cal, Stanford, and Washington.  Games were either too close for too long (Arizona, Cal, and Washington) or lost (Stanford).

So, good luck to Miami fans for the next couple of season.  No doubt MariØ will wow you all with recruiting victories in the off-season but prepare yourselves for maddening on-field performances in the fall.

• Great post! 2
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 3

Duckman...that was a superb summary of "Mari," and for Miami fans who do not know why we call him that?  "We leave it out because he doesn't know what to do with the "O."

I will make two predictions about Miami:

1) By the end of 2022...'Cane fans will be worried about their star QB transferring, or leaving to the NFL before his stock goes lower.

2) 'Cane fans will be ready to move on to a new coach after four years of Cristobal.  Mari is great as a leader, PR rep for the school and for recruiting.  He will raise your national profile, create a buzz and fill your talent cupboard. But like Oregon...you will need a different coach to take you to the next level.

Mari will win a 'Natty at Miami!

giphy.gif

• Haha 1

Mr. FishDuck

Mariø. Same on Android.

Screenshot_20220617-133143.png.f881f7013012c840a64c7b6846c6ae14.png

Me thinks this will come in handy for at least 2 more years. 😁

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

The facts are the facts. 

Mari was chosen by the players and agreed on by Mullen’s because he was unprepared for Sick’s quick departure.

Mari had a lousy record as a head coach before being hired by the Ducks.

Mari really has a line of BS that most of us swallowed for quite a while.

Mari was stubborn beyond belief at times with his control over his coaches. Not a team player.

Mari squandered a Heisman trophy winner and a possible Natty appearance with Justin Herbert with his idiotic in game coaching.

Mari was in the process of running off a good portion of his team to the portal and had totally lost them at the middle of last season.

Mari promised the players and their families to take care of them but at the end he failed them all.

To sum it up I wish you Cane fans have a better opinion of Mari in 4 years than us Duck fans but odds and recent history says you will not.

• Great post! 1
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Mari quit on his team. Period. I need no more reason than that. These kids stood for him and he turned around and stabbed them in the back. I will never defend a man like that.

I hope he fails in epic proportions, and takes a few knives in the back along the way. Parents of kids with the U in their top five should give me a call.

I tend to think we underestimate the salesman that he is. It is my understanding PK had a contract for him at the end of the season, and he is no rube.

The idea the Miami qb is going to be upset at the end of the season is questionable. MariØ could sell 'gator' gear to a Seminole, and make then think they like it. The Miami faithful are hungry to believe he can bring back the good old days, so that song will keep playing.

I think we have some shrewd fans who don't appreciate a bait and switch, but many as we see throughout the world, are more than willing to swallow stuff hook line and sinker. MariØ has a perfect alibi, the promised facilities still aren't built. Look for that to be the first excuse, but it will be laced with plenty of talk we have already heard.

I do agree his act will begin to sour after a few years, but I suspect he will last quite a while. The AD and the players picked him for us, the alumni picked him for the canes. Alumni, as we know, are seldom wrong!

Mariø Cri$tøbull$h....can’t say IT here. 

The slashed ø is a very nice petty touch to the simmering disgust we still feel surrounding the smell of Mario’s departure. 

I’m over it but it was nice to dredge up those feelings for a bit. 🤨

• Thumbs Up 1

MariØ   Hey...it works!  Thanks, ICamel.

I appreciate stormrider's post for causing us to examine our priors once again.  I have nothing more to add that hasn't already been said.  I have been convinced by the collective wisdom of the Forum with Decorum's that we are in a better place with him in Miami.

One piece of evidence for his elite level douchbaggery was the HATRED the rest of the Pac-12 coaches had for him.  I mean to deny college athletes spots on all-conference teams because their Coach is an A-hole is an amazing testament to his ability to be a sheep's bollocks.

• Haha 1

I honestly don't understand this thing you guys have with Mario, he left your program set up for a very nice run. In my opinion Ithink you guys don't have the right frame of mind.

I have noticed you guys talk about ex coaches and say things like he wasn't a real Duck and that  Oregon needs a coach who is a real Duck and is loyal and a lifer. Well if Lanning doesn't perform up to whatever standard Oregon thinks he should Oregon will not be loyal to Lanning and he will be fired.

I don't think that would be wrong as football is a bottom line business and you either perform or you are gone. The U came out of nowhere and built a dynasty with coaches that  were not planning on staying at the U forever.

Lou Saban who got us the first couple of classes that became the foundation of our first sustained success left us for one of the service academies. Howard Schnellenberger  or Shnelly as we always called him out of love and respect left us for the USFL after taking us to our first championship.

Jimmy Johnson left us for the cowboys after getting us our 2nd championship.  Erickson was fired after winning 2 more championships. Butch Davis left us for the browns after building the greatest college football team of all time.

And last of them Larry Coker was fired a few years after he took the team that Butch built and won another championship and had he burned Frank Gores red shirt in the championship game against OSU after Mcgahee was injured he would have won another title.

Through all these coaching changes us Fans were never sore about the coaches leaving we were always focused on who the next guy was going to be.  As a matter of fact we had no real problem with coaches leaving as we figured if they left for a "better" job it was because they did well and we probably had another championship on the board.

Sure we were a little sad to see them go but we understood that this was part of the game.

Wait for it... But don't forget, you heard it here first.

I have to agree with you here. He pulled Oregon out of a very dark place following the 2016 and 2017 seasons. He put a Rose Bowl trophy in the case and loaded the roster. There’s no good way to leave your former team for another school. It was disappointing, but at least he didn’t clean out the roster like a certain Oklahoma coach did.

That said, every coach who has left Oregon has failed at their next job (Belotti included). I think Miami will be nationally relevant again because they have made a financial commitment to football. However, I think the guy who follows Mario will be the one who takes them to a championship level.

Guest Axel

When fans of other schools, like the U, see the headline of this thread with slashes through the O’s in Mario and Cristobal, they might assume that Duck fans are paying homage to Cristobal in some kind way. These other fans may think, "How nice. Cristobal must be Scandinavian." The Danish and Swedish alphabets abound with circles and slashes.

But no, the slashes through Cristobal’s first and last names are like shivs, a way to cut and criticize Cristobal while calling attention to his ineptness at managing Oregon’s O. Many Duck fans will forever refer to the ex-coach as Mari Cristbal, because under his command the O disappeared.

Fans of the U have great hopes for their program with Cristobal in charge, and many of them are perplexed by the amount of vitriol directed at Cristobal by Duck fans. Part of the problem here is geography. Coral Gables isn’t just far away from Eugene, it’s way, way far away. It’s an easier trip getting to Oz from Kansas.

I’m guessing that not many Canes fans have watched Ducks games over the past few seasons. They’ve heard that Cristobal is adept at convincing recruits to sign on with him. But they haven’t seen nor suffered Cristobal’s too numerous deficiencies as a coach.

Miami rooters are insulated by hundreds of miles of Interstate, three time zones, and overly gushing sports-radio talking heads. Your typical Canes fan is like the eager guy buying a beautiful Russian mail-order bride, unaware that she has been, shall we say, familiar with the entire naval fleet at Vladivostok. Oh, the fallout yet to come!

Imagine for a moment that it was Utah that fired Kyle Whittingham and handed the head-coaching keys to Mario Cristobal. Quite unlike the folks in Miami, Utes fans know Cristobal well. They’ve seen his bumbling incompetence in brash, living color and benefited wonderfully from it.

What would Utes fans be doing today with the knowledge that Cristobal would be on the sidelines at Rice-Eccles Stadium this fall? Many would still be in shock. Others would be undergoing intensive therapy. And still others would take to watching horror movies as a way to mitigate the real-life horror that had befallen them.

I dare say that some Utes fans would have “Carnival of Souls” on a loop. That uber-creepy film is much less scary than contemplating football under Cristobal.

Yes, Canes fans. Things can be that bad, but you don’t need to believe us. You’ll soon be witnessing it for yourselves.

On 6/18/2022 at 8:04 AM, Axel said:

When fans of other schools, like the U, see the headline of this thread with slashes through the O’s in Mario and Cristobal, they might assume that Duck fans are paying homage to Cristobal in some kind way. These other fans may think, "How nice. Cristobal must be Scandinavian." The Danish and Swedish alphabets abound with circles and slashes.

What part of Axel's post do I like the best?  Hard to decide because there are so many killer lines within it, but I have to admit that "How nice. Cristobal must be Scandinavian" just about sent coffee through my nose this morning.  THAT was funny...

I am saving the link to this thread for future posting when 'Cane fans come along...

Mr. FishDuck

On 6/18/2022 at 5:14 AM, DrJacksPlaidPants said:

I have to agree with you here. He pulled Oregon out of a very dark place following the 2016 and 2017 seasons. He put a Rose Bowl trophy in the case and loaded the roster. There’s no good way to leave your former team for another school. It was disappointing, but at least he didn’t clean out the roster like a certain Oklahoma coach did.

That said, every coach who has left Oregon has failed at their next job (Belotti included). I think Miami will be nationally relevant again because they have made a financial commitment to football. However, I think the guy who follows Mario will be the one who takes them to a championship level.

Mariø didn't clean out the roster because the players preferred Oregon over Mariø. Like when a telemarketer calls... "No thanks, 'click' ".

• Haha 1

I honestly don't understand this thing you guys have with Mario, he left your program set up for a very nice run. In my opinion I think you guys don't have the right frame of mind.

I'm with you on part of this: I appreciate what was accomplished while he was here AND I'm glad to see him go. MariØ is an excellent recruiter and really stepped up the recruiting game here at Oregon. However, he also tried to make us something we're not, he tried to change our identity.

We're blazing fast. We spread you out, use misdirection and score...A LOT. He recruited players capable of that and inherited a few as well (some unknown guy named Justin Herbert for example...anyone know what he's up to these days?). Unfortunately he squandered their talent and instead decided to run off-center all the time. 

He did have some offensive imagination though in throwing swing passes to RB's out of the backfield on 3 and 12 every single time. He managed to get blue chip, blazing fast 6'4" receivers here, then used them exclusively for blocking. Hell, I'm convinced he handcuffed Joe Moorhead and forced him to play Anthony Brown and I'm not sure I can be convinced otherwise.

That being said, I really do wish Miami all the best of luck. I don't blame MariØ for going back home to his ailing mother, to his alma-mater and his pursuit to bring them back to relevance. If I were given that opportunity, I'd jump on it as well.  However, I can thankfully say "good riddance to him and his talent wasting, unimaginative, prevent offense...and I'm grateful that it's Miami's problem now."

• Applause 2
  • Thumbs Up 2

Axel is THE funniest!  Yes, Utah fans know MC and would be practically suicidal to see him on our sidelines - even scarier than Carnival of Souls.   It took Whit 15 years to actually believe you can throw the ball on first down - going back to the 2 yds and a cloud of frustration with MC would make us all give up!

MC is at least to me a system coach and what seems to be a fairly decent guy and obviously a good recruiter,  Im just sorry that USC didnt give him their head coaching job.

Dagnabbit. X and Os he not.

• Haha 1
  • Thumbs Up 3