Tandaian

DJ Johnson Leads Talented, Intriguing Group at Outside LB

Perhaps the most promising candidate to lead the Oregon pass rush is senior DJ Johnson. Johnson, who started his college career at the University of Miami, made contributions at tight end as well during his time at Oregon, catching 10 passes for 113 yards and three touchdowns in 2020. 

yb_white_on_black_medium.jpg
WWW.YARDBARKER.COM

For a defense that aspires to be “extremely confrontational and aggressive", the departure of Kayvon Thibodeaux to the NFL will be significant to the Oregon pass rush moving forward.

• Great post! 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

The Ducks need an All-Star season and veteran leadership from DJ. He can secure the next step to his future by logging a terrific season.

DJ is an agile and powerful beast on the field with outstanding football instincts.

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

He will give us stats like Thibs in 2022…without the hype.

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 3

Mr. FishDuck

I don’t claim to know much about DJ, only what I’ve read and what you guys say on here.  Everything I’ve read about DJ has been very positive and I’ll add that most things I’ve read about Duck D talent has been very positive.  

I don’t feel comfortable going into detail about what I think bc you guys certainly know your talent better than I.  I’ll just say I had no idea before of the talent, especially in the Ducks front seven.  Of course I was well aware last year Thibs and Sewell were insanely good, but every CFB fan with a pulse knew that.  I’m excited to follow the Ducks and this defense this season.  

This in no way means I think harshly of the offense, I just haven’t learned as much about the Duck offense yet.  Really all I know is you guys have a very good O-line, good TEs, and it’s possible that Nix starts at QB.  Oh, and I’m big on Cardwell at RB.  

I apologize for getting long winded and straying so far off-topic.  I wasn’t sure about starting a new topic being a new member and a Dawg fan at that Lol.  So I just plugged my thoughts in where they fit best. 

How do you guys think the D performs this year?  

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Thumbs Up 3

On 6/21/2022 at 3:24 PM, SoGaDawg said:

Barring injuries we will have a very good defense. We really got hit hard with injuries last year at the linebacker positions. 

Give our defense a little time to get used to the new defensive scheme and I think they get much better. I look forward to see what Lanning and Company can do with our defensive roster. 

• Thumbs Up 3

On 6/21/2022 at 8:47 PM, Drake said:

Barring injuries we will have a very good defense. We really got hit hard with injuries last year at the linebacker positions. 

Give our defense a little time to get used to the new defensive scheme and I think they get much better. I look forward to see what Lanning and Company can do with our defensive roster. 

I agree, I know losing Flowe last season was a big loss.  Hopefully he can stay healthy.  

I expect Lanning and Co will do very well.  I agree it might take some time for things to gel, but I know Lanning is a very good coach.  He will also be a great recruiter for the Ducks just as he was for the Dawgs.  

I was disappointed when Lanning left UGA, but also happy for him.  I was worried before that he might go to a school that I can’t pull for, but relieved when he accepted the Oregon job.  I think things are looking up in Eugene!  

Don’t get me wrong, my allegiances are clear on Sept. 3.  I mean I’ve been a Dawg since I was a toddler.  After that I’ll enjoy pulling for the Ducks no matter what happens on Sept. 3.  Of course unless we meet again in the playoff!😁

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Cool 2
  • Thumbs Up 3

I think any time a program starts over with new head and position coaches installing new schemes and terminology, you’re kidding yourself if you don’t see our situation as a work in progress: hope for the best, but plan for a few bumps in the road. Patience is key.

That said, our line backers should be on a par with any group in the country. Losing Thibs on the outside certainly creates pass rush questions that only game time situations will answer, but is somewhat mollified by increased strength in the interior.

My biggest concern is the secondary where we lost both Verone McKinley and Mykael Wright to the NFL.  Verone was our field general, so it’s imperative that a new leader emerge. There are excellent prospects including Bennett Williams, and the talent level is there. But they will require time in the saddle.

Same question to you - how do you think your D performs this year?

l

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 1

On 6/21/2022 at 11:28 PM, Washington Waddler said:

I think any time a program starts over with new head and position coaches installing new schemes and terminology, you’re kidding yourself if you don’t see our situation as a work in progress: hope for the best, but plan for a few bumps in the road. Patience is key.

That said, our line backers should be on a par with any group in the country. Losing Thibs on the outside certainly creates pass rush questions that only game time situations will answer, but is somewhat mollified by increased strength in the interior.

My biggest concern is the secondary where we lost both Verone McKinley and Mykael Wright to the NFL.  Verone was our field general, so it’s imperative that a new leader emerge. There are excellent prospects including Bennett Williams, and the talent level is there. But they will require time in the saddle.

Same question to you - how do you think your D performs this year?

l

I think the GA D will be good, but I’ve no misconceptions that they will be as good as last season.  It will be a work in progress as well.  Honestly just attrition is the reason I believe this.  I think our D lost 8 to the draft and 5 in the first round.  It would be crazy to think that there won’t be some serious regression bc of this.  

We have very talented players available to step up and even though we will miss CDL we still have strong coaching on that side of the ball.  Many of these players have no experience starting but most have game experience.  We have a few key returning players in Nolan Smith, Jalen Carter, Kelee Ringo, and Christopher Smith.  These guys will be a plus for us.  Carter specifically is an absolute beast.  

Time will tell about our guys stepping up on the DL but I’m optimistic about them and having Carter in the rotation helps tremendously.  

Our secondary and ILB positions give me alarm.  Again, talented players stepping up, but these are tough positions to excel in.  The game moves very fast at these positions so experience goes a long way.  

What I’m most concerned about is that GA like Oregon is having to replace its field general.  Nakobe Dean was the heart of our D.  He was the guy everyone depended on.  If someone can step up and fill that void with confidence things will likely go smoothly.  If not, it might start a bit rough.  

In all I’m very optimistic.  The talent is there and I’m confident that the coaching is well above average.  But it will likely take time.  I expect our D is good from the start and gets very good as the season matures.  Barring many injuries.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Like 2

I don’t claim to know much about DJ, only what I’ve read and what you guys say on here.  Everything I’ve read about DJ has been very positive and I’ll add that most things I’ve read about Duck D talent has been very positive.  

I don’t feel comfortable going into detail about what I think bc you guys certainly know your talent better than I.  I’ll just say I had no idea before of the talent, especially in the Ducks front seven.  Of course I was well aware last year Thibs and Sewell were insanely good, but every CFB fan with a pulse knew that.  I’m excited to follow the Ducks and this defense this season.  

This in no way means I think harshly of the offense, I just haven’t learned as much about the Duck offense yet.  Really all I know is you guys have a very good O-line, good TEs, and it’s possible that Nix starts at QB.  Oh, and I’m big on Cardwell at RB.  

I apologize for getting long winded and straying so far off-topic.  I wasn’t sure about starting a new topic being a new member and a Dawg fan at that Lol.  So I just plugged my thoughts in where they fit best. 

It seems to me over the last decade, whenever we have changed DC, our defense improves dramatically that 1st year. At least statistically. I expect that to be the case this year too.

After that it will depend on recruiting classes.

As far as the game on 9/3 goes, our biggest advantage is that we are an unknown. With a new HC, a new OC, a new starting QB, there is a lot we fans don't even know! 

Lanning got a great opportunity. He left a quality program for another quality program that was NOT left in shambles.

He has inherited arguably the best roster in the Pac12 (most blue-chip players). Coach DL has a chance to hit the ground running, as it were, at least on all cylinders. 

I sincerely hope we look good in Atlanta. 

Btw SoGaDawg, feel free to start a new topic anytime. Just check the rules if necessary. Your posts are a welcome and delight.

• Thanks 1
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Coach DL thinks he can be a force and one of the best in the country at his position. Now this could be coach speak, but my read on DL is he shoots straight. You add all the other players and our coaches there's no way we won't be possibly the best D In Duck history.

On 6/22/2022 at 5:16 PM, DanLduck said:

It seems to me over the last decade, whenever we have changed DC, our defense improves dramatically that 1st year. At least statistically. I expect that to be the case this year too.

After that it will depend on recruiting classes.

As far as the game on 9/3 goes, our biggest advantage is that we are an unknown. With a new HC, a new OC, a new starting QB, there is a lot we fans don't even know! 

Lanning got a great opportunity. He left a quality program for another quality program that was NOT left in shambles.

He has inherited arguably the best roster in the Pac12 (most blue-chip players). Coach DL has a chance to hit the ground running, as it were, at least on all cylinders. 

I sincerely hope we look good in Atlanta. 

Btw SoGaDawg, feel free to start a new topic anytime. Just check the rules if necessary. Your posts are a welcome and delight.

I firmly believe that CDL was an excellent hire by Oregon.  Yes he is a first time HC and starting at a major program, but so was Smart.  I know he is a very good coach and a great recruiter.  Sure recruiting is a bit different on the west coast than in the south but I’ll be shocked if he doesn’t fit right in and recruit very well at Oregon.  It’s likely he even poaches some of the great talent we have in the southeast.  Not that he really needs to.  There is tons of talent on that side of the country for the taking.  

As far as the D goes, I expect CDL will emphasize winning the line of scrimmage and speed with discipline.  That philosophy will make the Ducks Defense a force to be reckoned with in the near future and it will win the Ducks many games.  Maybe even this season.  

I don’t want to unnecessarily caution expectations the first year bc the Ducks do have much more talent than most programs, but so did Kirby coming into the UGA job and we went 8-5.  Not terrible but well below the standard Richt set.  I’m not saying this bc I expect Oregon to struggle this year, far from it.  But it is possible to hit a few bumps when major changes take place.  Although, I will not be surprised if the Ducks hit the ground running with Lanning and Co.  (I realize Ducks fly but it’s just an expression Lol). I do selfishly hope they don’t fly too high on Sept.3😂.  

I lived in Canada for many years and learned to like hockey, so at the moment I’m content watching the NHL Finals.  But the only thing I can tell you that I’m sure of is that I can’t wait for CFB to kickoff!  I’ll even give you a Go Ducks!!!  But I’ve also gotta say Go Dawgs!!!  You understand right?😄

• Thumbs Up 3
  • Like 1

On 6/22/2022 at 7:32 PM, SoGaDawg said:

I firmly believe that CDL was an excellent hire by Oregon.  Yes he is a first time HC and starting at a major program, but so was Smart.  I know he is a very good coach and a great recruiter.  Sure recruiting is a bit different on the west coast than in the south but I’ll be shocked if he doesn’t fit right in and recruit very well at Oregon.  It’s likely he even poaches some of the great talent we have in the southeast.  Not that he really needs to.  There is tons of talent on that side of the country for the taking.  

As far as the D goes, I expect CDL will emphasize winning the line of scrimmage and speed with discipline.  That philosophy will make the Ducks Defense a force to be reckoned with in the near future and it will win the Ducks many games.  Maybe even this season.  

I don’t want to unnecessarily caution expectations the first year bc the Ducks do have much more talent than most programs, but so did Kirby coming into the UGA job and we went 8-5.  Not terrible but well below the standard Richt set.  I’m not saying this bc I expect Oregon to struggle this year, far from it.  But it is possible to hit a few bumps when major changes take place.  Although, I will not be surprised if the Ducks hit the ground running with Lanning and Co.  (I realize Ducks fly but it’s just an expression Lol). I do selfishly hope they don’t fly too high on Sept.3😂.  

I lived in Canada for many years and learned to like hockey, so at the moment I’m content watching the NHL Finals.  But the only thing I can tell you that I’m sure of is that I can’t wait for CFB to kickoff!  I’ll even give you a Go Ducks!!!  But I’ve also gotta say Go Dawgs!!!  You understand right?😄

I really enjoy your post. But... on Sept 4th Dawg fan be like...

dcf5cb072bf708572c3500b5da63eeff.jpg

• Haha 1

Don’t be fooled, he’s little but he’s wirey.  I mean look at that one eye he has open.  There is a twinkle there.  It’s almost as if he is peering straight into your soul. That’s a bad Dawg!  And I mean lets be honest, we’d all sit in tea cups if we could.  It’s like a ride at Disney! 😂😅😂

On 6/22/2022 at 11:22 PM, Log Haulin said:

I really enjoy your post. But... on Sept 4th Dawg fan be like...

dcf5cb072bf708572c3500b5da63eeff.jpg

My apologies, I responded to you before and forgot to quote you.  Forgive me I’m a new member.  Please look above for response.  Also, well done.  That’s hilarious 

• Thumbs Up 1