idontrollonshobbas

State's Top Prospect Riley Williams Drops Ducks

10934541.JPG
247SPORTS.COM

The Oregon Coaching staff got some tough news Tuesday morning with Top 100 prospect and the state of Oregon's top prospect Riley Williams eliminated Oregon from

Time to go after a 5 star TE

Would've been nice to get him but it is what it is.  Ducks are already pretty deep at TE anyway.

• Thumbs Up 1

For those who do not have a subscription....and yep, this sucks.

rose-bowl-game-presented-by-capital-one-
THESPUN.COM

Riley Williams will soon pick from one of three college football programs. On Tuesday, the 6-foot-6, 230-pound tight end revealed Alabama, Ohio State, and

Mr. FishDuck

Probably doesn't see immediate playing time.  We'll land a good one next year if not another good one this year

It sucks to lose out to MC though. 

Also, not surprising that all 3 schools are big on NIL. 

All of his schools of interest appear to have been east of the Rockies, except Oregon.  Sounds like being out-of-state was important to him.

This may highlight another aspect of NIL......the prioritization of those dollars in the roster management process.   We have about 7 TE's on roster, how much of the budget are they willing to spend to get another one?

• Thumbs Up 1

Recruiting is a long game... MC has been recruiting this kid for years. Again, if you see the other forum thread here, Oregon offered a 7th grader, more than anything else that just signals that Oregon is interested in being in contact about the future.

The coaching staff is really diving into their own existing relationships with recruits. It is really hard to make some of these relationships quickly.

I would also like to say it isn't over yet and there are still 6 months to go before the early signing period. So we never know what could happen in the meantime.

• Thumbs Up 1

For his sake I hope he doesnt choose Miami

Probably not better choices for playing time. Both Alabama and Ohio State show eight tight ends and Miami has six. NILS and out of state opportunity more likely.

You can lead a horse to water...

Too bad this kid doesn't see himself on game day in the best stadium in the land. He will never get to dance out there between the 3rd & 4th quarters like so many lucky kids do. 

Ultimately, he had a choice to make. That choice, he will have to live with for his entire collegiate career, up until his second year, when he's eligible for transfer... 

This kid will probably not regret his decision. However, as fans of the best team in all of sports, we will lament the one(s) that got away. 

Good luck Randy! ... Or whatever your name is. 

🤣

• Applause 1

In-state talent can cut both ways.  Some love the idea of playing close to home and others love the idea of getting away from the known and familiar.  

I grew up in LA and the idea of going to school anywhere in SoCal was beyond unappealing.  

• Applause 1

Looks like Oregon is moving on to Joey Olsen, 2024 4 Star out of Lakeridge HS.

He might want to consider the TE position caught a total of 300 yds under MariØ. This is the total of all the TE's, not just our leading TE, who had a bit over 100 yds.

He should and probably will watch the difference in production under Lanning, and compare that to what the actual numbers are for our ex-coach.

This is another way MariØ is an amazing recruiter. He can bring in kids who end up doing little, but somehow, I suppose, still think they will be different.

Compare the future hurricane offense to tosu, and you have one receiver going over 1600 yds, and their top TE getting over 300 yds. I think he will compare how he will be used, not just the words before he commits.

I will say there is a lot of talent to choose from, just hate to see a talented instate kid make a mistake, like going to the university of no o.

We don't get many blue-chip prospects in state, so I think it's important to land them when possible.  However, we are loaded at the position and if he wants out of the PNW, then I hope the best for him. 

Based on his choices, it seems like a ring is more important to him than immediate playing time and who can fault him for that?!  So long as we aren't losing in-state recruits to those mangy, flea-infested varmints up North, then best of luck I say!

Relationship with the coaches is an important part of the recruitment. That being said the portal makes it less important than it used to be.

Look at the kids we get from other states. They are also leaving their home state's. Good luck to him wherever he goes. There are other TE to get.   

When do we start the countdown for the first dawg game?

Frankly, I am always dubious about PNW rankings.  Especially at 247.  A mixed bag at best.

• Applause 1

On 6/22/2022 at 9:10 AM, Duck 1972 said:

When do we start the countdown for the first dawg game?

73 Days and Counting! It's the first thing I see on my work calendar every morning!

• Applause 1

On 6/21/2022 at 7:58 PM, idontrollonshobbas said:

All of his schools of interest appear to have been east of the Rockies, except Oregon.  Sounds like being out-of-state was important to him.

This may highlight another aspect of NIL......the prioritization of those dollars in the roster management process.   We have about 7 TE's on roster, how much of the budget are they willing to spend to get another one?

Having lived most of my life outside of Oregon, and only a few years in Oregon, it is hard for me to understand why anyone would WANT to leave.

If I had the right opportunity (and family wouldn't rebel), I'd move back to Oregon in a heart beat!

• Let’s hope! 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Honestly, I don't put a lot of importance on in-state recruiting.  Why is some kid from Oregon more important or desirable than an equally talented kid from Missouri or New Hampshire or Arkansas?

Sure, there's more opportunity for the brand to make an impression on an in-state kid, and some want to stay close to home so the family can see them play or they can easily hang out with friends on weekends or whatever.  But I'm sure some want to experience different weather, be away from family or maybe negative influences in their lives, try something different, etc.  And as David Marsh pointed out, he's built a long-term relationship with other coaches, whereas Lanning is a newcomer to him.

I want the best players for the program, and next year if we get 10 five-stars that are good fits and they all come from Vermont, that's just fine with me.

• Great post! 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

On 6/22/2022 at 1:09 PM, Kurt Rambis said:

Honestly, I don't put a lot of importance on in-state recruiting.  Why is some kid from Oregon more important or desirable than an equally talented kid from Missouri or New Hampshire or Arkansas?

Sure, there's more opportunity for the brand to make an impression on an in-state kid, and some want to stay close to home so the family can see them play or they can easily hang out with friends on weekends or whatever.  But I'm sure some want to experience different weather, be away from family or maybe negative influences in their lives, try something different, etc.  And as David Marsh pointed out, he's built a long-term relationship with other coaches, whereas Lanning is a newcomer to him.

I want the best players for the program, and next year if we get 10 five-stars that are good fits and they all come from Vermont, that's just fine with me.

That will be one very unusual year in Vermont high school football!

• Mic drop 1

While I wish an Oregon-boy would stay home, I am not sweating this as I would in past years.  I believe very much in the recruiting savvy of this coaching staff, and thus I think we will get ours!

You don't want to waste time

chasing unlikely outcomes...

giphy-downsized-large.gif

I do love my Cat-GIFs!

• Thumbs Up 1

Mr. FishDuck

Going from PNW to South Beach... yikes. Better stock up on the Baby GoldBond. I have reasons I want to leave Oregon but climate isn't one of the. Good luck to the kid. Study up on portal guidelines.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 6/22/2022 at 12:09 PM, Kurt Rambis said:

Just an opinion here, but I see in-state recruiting in much the same way as I view promoting from within. That's not to say it's always the "correct" move, but I would think it would have a higher success rate if for no other reason than culture and familiarity.

I will say this; it makes sense to me that a kid that grew up in the PNW climate would perform better in the cold than someone we pulled from Miami. I've been in Texas almost 15 years (this go 'round anyway) and I still long for that Oregon climate every summer.  I'm just not built for this, lol. Besides, I like the idea of a homegrown athlete who's been raised up hating those furry, flea-ridden pests up North rather than having to have them learn it firsthand on game day 😛

• Thumbs Up 1

On 6/22/2022 at 10:09 AM, Kurt Rambis said:

Why is some kid from Oregon more important or desirable than an equally talented kid from Missouri or New Hampshire or Arkansas?

I think this is a mentality that has really changed over the years. 

Historically speaking, holding onto in-state talent was important because that helped build the fan base and keep the university tied to the community. 

Additionally it was all about cost... Recruiting a local kid is cheaper than recruiting a kid from Florida. 

It still is a bit cheaper as driving is still cheaper than flying. 

But on the flip side... Recruiting at a high level is all about going national and the internet and other tech has made that easier than ever to recruit the entire country. 

But fans do still like seeing the local talent stay home. Whether or not they actually watch high school football. 

On 6/22/2022 at 10:24 AM, Log Haulin said:

Going from PNW to South Beach... yikes. Better stock up on the Baby GoldBond. I have reasons I want to leave Oregon but climate isn't one of the. Good luck to the kid. Study up on portal guidelines.

In Florida and much of The South, it's vitally important to keep the boys dusted in the humid season.

• Haha 1

On 6/22/2022 at 10:21 AM, Charles Fischer said:

While I wish an Oregon-boy would stay home,

Good news is that this can be Exhibit "A" when the Oregon legislature complains about lack of offers to in-state kids.

It appears he found the $87,900 tuition (no scholarships per their website) to spend a year in Florida.  

• Mic drop 1

On 6/22/2022 at 12:37 PM, McDuck said:

It appears he found the $87,900 tuition (no scholarships per their website) to spend a year in Florida.  

I really hope things work out for this kid despite him not choosing the Ducks. It seems as though the equivalent of the AAU hoops grifter agent/hanger-on types are now getting into the ear of high school footballers in the NIL era.  

What could go wrong?  

Then promptly transfers to IMG Academy for his Senior year.

Guest Axel

After witnessing the double dumpster fires against Utah, it's hard to understand a talented Oregonian following Mario Cristobal to Miami. When Cristobal lays his recruitment spiel on East Coast players, they're likely clueless about those Utah debacles. 

At any rate, we all know that tight end Riley Williams is making a big mistake. Cristobal will certainly have Williams involved in many blocking schemes, but we can bet a cookie to a donut that Williams will be disheartened at the scarcity of passes targeted to him. 

A year under Cristobal's inept offense should be enough to convince Williams to enter the transfer portal. The young man may yet find his way to Eugene where he can play for a real offense.