Charles Fischer

Are You Feeling it? The Buzz, the Vibe for Oregon on the Recruiting Trail?

The vibe around the program right now is really heating up, and I really believe in this staff.  Is it just me feeling it?

TylerTurnerCommitment

• Applause 1

Mr. FishDuck

Yes.  The Riley Williams episode aside. I am feeling it.

Guest Axel

The national media and Colin Cowherd can slobber all over Lincoln Riley—he’s a good coach and USC will likely be better with him at the helm. However, we may be witnessing the early days of the most competent Ducks coach ever in Dan Lanning along with his incredibly dynamic staff.

I would not trade Oregon’s coaching personnel for USC’s. I believe that Lanning will be a better head coach than Riley. And I submit that Lanning’s team of assistants is superior to any crew in the Pac-12.

Like everything else in business and in life, victory begets victory. The Ducks’ recruiting successes will invariably lead to a string of high-profile signings. Oregon, under Lanning, is earning a renewed reputation as one of the nation’s hot schools.

There is buzz, there is vibe, there is momentum—we feel it, our competitors feel it, and most importantly, top recruits feel it. Something very special is underway in Eugene.

On 6/22/2022 at 8:35 PM, Axel said:

The national media and Colin Cowherd can slobber all over Lincoln Riley—he’s a good coach and USC will likely be better with him at the helm. However, we may be witnessing the early days of the most competent Ducks coach ever in Dan Lanning along with his incredibly dynamic staff.

I would not trade Oregon’s coaching personnel for USC’s. I believe that Lanning will be a better head coach than Riley. And I submit that Lanning’s team of assistants is superior to any crew in the Pac-12.

Like everything else in business and in life, victory begets victory. The Ducks’ recruiting successes will invariably lead to a string of high-profile signings. Oregon, under Lanning, is earning a renewed reputation as one of the nation’s hot schools.

There is buzz, there is vibe, there is momentum—we feel it, our competitors feel it, and most importantly, top recruits feel it. Something very special is underway in Eugene.

More of that Kool-aid please. It's delicious. Love my Ducks!

I feel like Lanning's ceiling may be higher than Riley's. We've already seen how much Lincoln struggles against elite defensive coaches (see Dave Aranda and losses to Baylor). 

It's going to be very interesting to see DL grow as a HC over the next 3-4 years 

I'm not feeling it.

With the NIL climate being what it is, until some of these blue-chip studs commit, being in a top 4 list means nothing. 

I am keeping my fingers crossed...

• Let’s hope! 1

Honestly "commitments" have always meant very little to me, it was always about "signing". Now with NIL and the new transfer rules, "signing" means what "commitments" used to mean, at least in my eyes. 

• Salute 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

On 6/23/2022 at 5:58 AM, Wrathis said:

Honestly "commitments" have always meant very little to me, it was always about "signing". Now with NIL and the new transfer rules, "signing" means what "commitments" used to mean, at least in my eyes. 

Every year the vast majority of verbals do end up signing with the Ducks.  Usually one or two flip another direction, and our coaches flip one or two our direction at the last moment, but 90%+ of our verbals stick.  So to me--it is great to see that young men have decided to come to Oregon!

• Cool 1
  • Thumbs Up 3

Mr. FishDuck

The recruiting shift is noticeable. This coaching staff is brand new and have many top recruits coming in for visits. I guarantee there is hours of work that goes into getting these guys on campus. 

It would have been easy to write off last years recruiting class and perhaps this year because of an unproven head coach with a new staff. These guys hit the ground running and are doing a great job. They deserve recognition for their work. 

Lanning and his staff are impressing me, and starting to make some other PAC 12 coaches and fans nervous about  having to compete for recruits with Oregon. 

• Applause 2

On 6/23/2022 at 10:43 AM, Drake said:

Lanning and his staff are impressing me, and starting to make some other PAC 12 coaches and fans nervous about  having to compete for recruits with Oregon. 

The gap of the number of 4 & 5-Star players between Oregon/USC and the rest of the conference is going to grow, IMHO.  This could create the "Top-Heavy" conference I wrote of earlier.  

The exception is Utah of course; it does not matter what their star numbers are--Coach Whittington coaches them up.

• Thumbs Up 1

Mr. FishDuck

All incoming recruits benefit from being "coached up"... the trick is identifying those recruits who are willing and hungry  to grow, instead rather than content with their own inflated egos.

• Thumbs Up 3

On 6/22/2022 at 8:35 PM, Axel said:

The national media and Colin Cowherd can slobber all over Lincoln Riley

Because he didn't have to compete against an Oregon in the Big 11 plus 9 (Gotta love tMath in the 12 and 10)

• Mic drop 1

Look at who's on campus this weekend. Some commitments are already coming. I have a good feeling about several of these players and a few from last weekend also.

We don't have to get all of these guys. One or two of the 5 stars, then 3 or 4 of the 4s and Oregon is well on it's way to a top ten class, maybe top 5. 

I live in Ohio and I can feel the vibe from here.

• Thumbs Up 4

On 6/23/2022 at 5:58 AM, Wrathis said:

It's far easier to hold onto commitments than to pull them away from other programs...so commitments mean a lot.

• Great post! 1

I actually agree with both Kirkland and Wrathis on this issue. As I see it We are living in the same but changing landscape of CFB, so both ideas hold weight.

On 6/24/2022 at 1:40 PM, kirklandduck said:

It's far easier to hold onto commitments than to pull them away from other programs...so commitments mean a lot.

What you said is 100% true! A commitment means more than not having one, and signing means more than just a commitment. My point is that nothing is completely binding any longer and so I don't count on having a player until they sign, suit up and make the team. However, I AM grateful to have them in Eugene which means there's legitimate interest there 🙂

• Great post! 1

I've felt good about Ducks recruiting since early on in the Laning Era.

We went head-to-head with USC for Florance and got him back after his decommit. We also pulled Luli back in against USC and Miami, we flipped Justice Lowe from the Utes, flipped Austin Jones from I think it was Texas?  We also nabbed Harrison Taggart late in the game. Then we beat USC again for Connerly Jr and landed Kyler Kasper. Those results are amazing to pull 11th hour without having had the long-term time to build relationships with players.

Our staff has the juice and swagger these young kids can relate to and feel like they can come have fun while also getting coached up.

• Great post! 2

The other component is picking the right guys, and then developing them. We had the smorgasbord approach with the previous staff, and benefited from the quality of talent we have on the team.  The question is are they right guys, and can they be developed into what we need under a Lanning Program.

Number one is at the qb position, do we have what we need going forward. Lanning brought in Nix for a quick fix, and now they seem to like Moore. Will we get Moore and is he the actually right guy for our offense, long term? Which TE is the right fit, which O-lineman are going to make the cut come fall.

I think that same question can be put to almost every player on the team. Do each of these guys fit what we need mentally, and physically in the new Lanning program? It takes a tremendous coach to turn a player from another program into exactly what they want. It also takes an exceptional player to buy into a different coach, one you didn't sign on to.

Hopefully my concerns are overblown, and Lanning can just keep the magic going. I just think it might take a while to get the right guys in the positions each coach wants, and then to have them mentally ready to exceed our expectations. That seems to be what everyone wants, and almost seems to expect.

Great thoughts to ponder Hayward. I wonder if recruiting is as critical as it once was to get the right fit?

Almost all of these players are as coached up as can be expected now in comparison to my day back in 70's.

I also believe there are more coaches who can coach any player because of the better psychology in place today, rather than it's my way or the highway or somewhere in between.

Now don't get me wrong schemes are very important, but now with the portal and NIL it's become a lot easier to rectify a roster problem. Well had other thoughts but I forgot them so I'll close.

Go Ducks Fly High