Charles Fischer

Corner Collin Gill Verbals to Oregon!

A 3-Star on both services and offered by Cincinnati, Michigan, Utah and Washington!

N.RIVALS.COM

The definitive source for all Rivals news.

image.jpeg

• Thumbs Up 2

Mr. FishDuck

Mr. FishDuck

Image-from-iOS.png?w=640
DUCKSWIRE.USATODAY.COM

Another player added to the 2023 class for the Ducks! 3-star cornerback Collin Gill announced his commitment to Oregon.

Mr. FishDuck

What are your guys thoughts on Gill?  He has good size and is physical, but I wasn't impressed with his highlights video nor his list of offers. Besides Michigan and Utah, Oregon was the obvious choice. He is the 104th best CB in his class.

According to the article by Biggins, Gill was the one who reached out to Oregon's Coach Lockett who initially offered him a scholarship a year ago, when Coach Lockett was still employed at UW.  My point is...would the Oregon Ducks have offered him if not for Coach Lockett's past ties?  I'm sure we can all agree that UW's ceiling for recruiting is currently not on par with Oregon's.

Like others have pointed out, these coaches haven't had much time to build relationships with these elite recruits who weren't even an option to these coaches, until joining the Ducks.  As a result, they are relying on the relationships that they have already established. However, is that what is necessarily best for a program that is trying to contend for a championship? Josh Conerly's recruitment should serve as ample proof that relationships can be built over the span of two weeks or two months.  It can be done.

What may have been good for these coaches at Western Kentucky, New Mexico, Nebraska/Hawaii, Colorado, UW, etc., may not be the best for Oregon.  I'm not picking on these coaches or belittling their previous schools of employment, but I question whether these are the same offers that Lanning would make on his own, if he were building a top notch defense, from the ground up.  I want Lanning to build this defense as he envisions it, putting his fingerprints on it, every step of the way.

Turner looks like a great pickup, and the Ducks are sitting pretty for Caleb Presley.  So are the Ducks settling on Gill?  Wouldn't it make more sense to wait and see what turns up in transfer portal?  Maybe someone else can shed some light.

Edited by DuckIt

On 6/23/2022 at 11:15 PM, DuckIt said:

What are your guys thoughts on Gill?  He has good size and is physical, but I wasn't impressed with his highlights video nor his list of offers. Besides Michigan and Utah, Oregon was the obvious choice. He is the 104th best CB in his class.

I think the coaches like some of the potential. I believe I read somewhere that Gill has been doing pretty good this summer at several camps. 

I think the size and physical parts are things coaches like that they really can't teach. 

In terms of technique and an understanding of scheme... That is stuff that can be worked on. 

He doesn't strike me as a day one contributor, at least not now, but he could grow into something greater. 

• Like 1

If we think these coaches are such fantastic recruiters, I think we have to trust them on who they are trying to recruit.  Some guys may be lower-level guys who coaches think are raw but with a ton of potential, locker room leaders, HS teammates or relatives of someone they really want, glue guys, or perfect scheme fits.  

Would we rather have had Mariota and Herbert, or most of the guys who were higher-ranked QBs when we got them?

• Applause 2
  • Thumbs Up 3

On 6/24/2022 at 1:15 AM, DuckIt said:

I've played and/or watched football most of my life. However, if DL and Co think he's worth the offer, then I absolutely trust their judgement as they've forgotten more in the last 10 minutes than I've learned in my life.  If DL trusts them enough to let them, then I trust him enough to give the guy a shot...

• Thumbs Up 1

In his commitment video he said he played and excelled at a wide variety of sports, track, baseball, lacrosse, etc, and only recently moved from linebacker to db.  From Ronnie Lee to Justin Herbert multi-sport athletes have excelled as they focus on one sport, one position.  Happy to welcome him to the flock.

• Thumbs Up 2

I love the long shot making it. If Lanning and Co. believe he can grow into something, and he has the fire, then I all in with this commitment! Welcome and make your dream come true!

I also think it's difficult when you need 4 or more players at a position in a class.  In such cases, you need to evaluate and get some 3 stars to fill in the roster.  Getting multiple 4 and 5 stars in one class at one position, as the Ducks need to do at both CB and Safety this year, is tough except at OL where there are 5 starting positions.

Edited by idontrollonshobbas
remove extra spaces
  • Thumbs Up 1

Another thing the coaches can't teach is speed.  As a Georgia Fan mentioned, one of the things that makes Georgia's defense great is speed which can make up for mistakes.

Gill looks great at shucking the blockers, wrapping up, and tackling.  No question he does that well, but he is getting burned on the deep routes and looks like a lot of grabbing going on which could lead to future PI calls.  He didn't include a ton of passing plays in his highlights, and the ones that he did, of course, were cherry-picked.  Several of the passes that he broke up were either late or under-thrown which allowed him time to catch up to the receiver.  So at CB on the vertical plays, I could see him as a liability.

The article did say that he was versatile and could be used as a CB or a Safety.  He would probably be best suited as a Safety.  He seems effective at sniffing out the plays and stopping the run.  Another thing he does well is stripping the ball.  I could maybe see him replacing Bennett Williams, when he leaves.

• Great post! 1