Annie

Athlon Sports College Football Top 25 Rankings

3 PAC-12 teams in the Top Ten.

college-football-rankings-top-25-for-202
ATHLONSPORTS.COM

A detailed look at the Top 25 college football team rankings for 2022 from the editors of the most accurate NCAAF preseason...

• Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

Interesting that they actually give the PAC-12 a little love.  They basically call it a toss up between Utah, Oregon and usc.

Duck fans should be happy - Saying that Utah has everything in place to make a run at the CFP just dooms them to a 3rd or 4th place finish - They never do well when they get the hype and are the favorites.

On 6/25/2022 at 4:20 PM, Goutes18 said:

Interesting that they actually give the PAC-12 a little love.  They basically call it a toss up between Utah, Oregon and usc.

Duck fans should be happy - Saying that Utah has everything in place to make a run at the CFP just dooms them to a 3rd or 4th place finish - They never do well when they get the hype and are the favorites.

I don’t know.  Utah has certainly earned any praise they get.  And Whittingham is a very good coach.  I would love to see the Utes go into the Swamp on Sept. 3 and embarrass the Gators.

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 2
  • Like 1

Three PAC-12 teams in the top 10?????????    That is a little love.   Probably a little too much. Two bits says Oregon finishes higher than USC.

What is really a head scratcher is Miami at #20. After reading all the obstacles in the article, I fail to see how the best coaches in the world are going to get them to #20. And how does having "facility upgrades" coming in the future help them this year?? It may help them recruit this year, but recruiting this year won't help them win this year.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 6/25/2022 at 1:33 PM, SoGaDawg said:

I would love to see the Utes go into the Swamp on Sept. 3 and embarrass the Gators.

Definitely a double feature, Pac-12-SEC battles. I don't loathe Florida like some other teams, I mainly hate the.Gators for 2006-07 when Tajuan Porter's 3's kept clanking off the rim...pain!!!

• Yikes! 2

On 6/25/2022 at 6:02 PM, Jon Sousa said:

Three PAC-12 teams in the top 10?????????    That is a little love.   Probably a little too much. Two bits says Oregon finishes higher than USC.

What is really a head scratcher is Miami at #20. After reading all the obstacles in the article, I fail to see how the best coaches in the world are going to get them to #20. And how does having "facility upgrades" coming in the future help them this year?? It may help them recruit this year, but recruiting this year won't help them win this year.

I think Utah and Oregon are deserving of a top 10 preseason ranking all things considered.  USC in my opinion doesn’t.  I do understand the pundits reacting this way towards USC bc of transfers and coaching changes etc…, but USC was not a good team last season.  I’ll be shocked if USC is ranked higher than Oregon after the chips fall this season.  

It’s easy to think strongly of a former powerhouse such as USC when things are surely trending positively.  But IMO they still have to earn it on the field.  Which brings my thoughts to Miami.

It’s true that Miami in the past has fielded some absolutely dominate teams.  But 2003 isn’t the recent past.  They haven’t come even close to the old dominating Hurricanes since they left the Big East.  They also weren’t a very good team last season.  And they also need to earn it on the field.  Miami plays aTm early, that game will be telling.  

I’m not predicting that Miami and USC don’t return to glory soon.  But if I had to bet, my money would be on USC making the larger strides in the near future.  I think USC has a shot at becoming a powerhouse once again.  I’m not so confident that Miami does.  Time will tell. 

• Thumbs Up 2

On 6/25/2022 at 4:16 PM, SoGaDawg said:

I think USC has a shot at becoming a powerhouse once again.

Great post and unfortunately...I agree with you.  USC will be a powerhouse, and I believe Oregon will be as well, thus some epic games coming up!

• Thumbs Up 2

Mr. FishDuck

On 6/25/2022 at 7:18 PM, Charles Fischer said:

Great post and unfortunately...I agree with you.  USC will be a powerhouse, and I believe Oregon will be as well, thus some epic games coming up!

Absolutely!  I believe that Oregon, lead by Lanning and Co, will return to the apex of CFB.  If USC also returns, as I suspect is very possible, the PAC-12 will become once again very interesting for the rest of the country, and not just for us hardcore CFB fans.  

I’m not discounting the Utes.  As long as Whittingham is there they will be a force. I’m just not sure they hold onto Whittingham in the future.  Big money will almost certainly come calling.  Am I wrong in thinking this?

On 6/25/2022 at 5:12 PM, SoGaDawg said:

I’m not discounting the Utes.  As long as Whittingham is there they will be a force. I’m just not sure they hold onto Whittingham in the future.  Big money will almost certainly come calling.  Am I wrong in thinking this?

I believe he will stay there, as retirement is a more likely outcome in the forthcoming years.  Perhaps some of the local Utah fans that check in here can give their thoughts?

(Trent Nelson  |  The Salt Lake Tribune) Utah Utes head coach Kyle Whittingham as the University of Utah hosts Washington State, NCAA football in Salt Lake City on Saturday, Sept. 25, 2021.

• Thumbs Up 1

Mr. FishDuck

No I can see that you’re probably right @Charles Fischer.  I wasn’t aware he had been there so long.  

Miami at #20 makes sense cuz they have a potentially good qb and MC has shown he can win in a weakened conference. The ACC only has Clemson. Mari(o), with or without an awesome offense will probably win at least 8? his first year.

USC is not at all the same team as last year. They have made a major overhaul. Of course they have always received the benefit of no doubt, and now with the offensive guru Riley and a possible Heisman qb, they as usual, have very high expectations. 

It will be up to Utah, UCLA, and of course the Ducks, to show them where they truly belong in year one of Rileys tenure.

Let's go Ducks!