Ouch! Ouch! Jon Wilner Throws Shade on Cristobal

Wowsa.  Good question!

• Haha 1
  • Mic drop 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Mr. FishDuck

Well that speaks volumes!

• Thumbs Up 1

This would matter materially if there were an enforcement agency in college football. As it is we have Dewey, Cheatum and Howe overseeing the sport

Dewey,+Cheatem+And+Howe+Attorneys+At+Law+The+Three+Stooges+-+Picture+Frame+Graphic+Art.jpeg

• Haha 4
  • Applause 1

Guest Axel

Mario Cristobal is a snake, and I apologize to pythons, cobras, and diamondbacks everywhere.

Came across this... Yeah Cristobal paid big for his QB. 

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Wow 1

Funny thing, the NFL finally learned to cap rookie salaries.  They figured out, most don't earn them and were wasting money.  This Jaden kid could be a Heisman trophy winner, but he ain't worth 9.5 mil per year in college.  It is part of the land scape, but I have a feeling a ton of these deals are going to have buyers remorse. 

Plus, supposedly none of them are tied to the kid going to the school, so if the kid leaves he still gets paid.  I'm assuming the companies are smart enough to make the contracts year by year, but who knows.

• Applause 2
  • Like 1

Can't believe they would be that dumb. Oh wait, it's not their money they earned.

It’s an interesting decision process I would imagine.  

Getting to the NFL is no sure thing so you want to pick a program that will optimize the chances for that outcome (development and opportunity to showcase and use skills).  

OTOH, a $9.5MM payday may be a better financial decision given the above mentioned risks.  

If you hit on both, well, mazel!   

I would be curious to know how the kid thought about this decision especially considering MC has no real credible track record of developing QBs to an NFL level game (he inherited Herbert pretty much developed as we all know)

If I were advising kids, this is the formula I would use: NIL in hand vs success rate of developing NFL QBs * average draft payout of average slot drafted

Edited by CalBear95
  • Like 1

Two comments as I wanted to make two fundamentally different points.  

There is a need for a structured pay for play rule and a GM function to manage the school’s $$ pool.  

With a few exceptions, the current NIL pay for play payouts won’t be drawn from an unlimited account if you will (see below for why) 

As a school, I would want to get out in front of this because these boosters will undoubtedly start acting like irate investors. Irate boosters, nursing enough as they are today, can easily morph into a gadfly like Ichan to force the coaches to map to their vision ‘or else.’  The chaos and pressure that will put on staffs and the ADs will be off the charts insane.  

Right now this is straight pay to play so you can’t solve without running afoul of the regulations (how can coaches liaise with boosters on targets as that is flat out directing money).  

The schools have a vested interest in getting some sort of salary cap in place and can probably do so by letting players form a union so there is some collective bargaining structure in place.  That’s fully legal.  If the players get sponsorships, fine, but that is tightly controlled so it isn’t pay for play but with a innocuous brand.  

Then schools hire a GM to manage their salary cap.  

Edited by CalBear95
  • Great post! 1
  • Like 1

The last 5* QB Mario recruited sat on the bench, and didn't seem to develop much until now, under a different Head Coach, different OC. Good luck with seeing the qb they have now reach his potential and this kid ever really developing. 

Should be interesting a college kid with $9 million first time on South Beach. What could go wrong! I won't provide pictures, that would be too easy.

• Haha 3

I saw on an earlier post Ty was a 5* only on Rivals. They were the only ones who thought that highly of him and I believe they also said it would take time for him to develop.

Under Mari Cristbal, that $9.5M will look pretty funny when the 5 star kid gets in because the transfer is injured and he throws more picks than touchdowns and the "U" goes 7-5 in a good year.  Can't blame the kid for taking the money.  Remember when we were 18?  Doesn't matter to them I guess, some booster ponied up the dough. 

After 3 years of mediocre bowls like the Johnson Flex Handle Doggie Doo Scooper Bowl on December 16th, the Miami faithful will force him out, he'll be coaching the O-Line at Central Connecticut Tech School for Screwdriver Testers at his next stop.  Rashada will resurrect his college career at Prairie Dog State.

• Haha 4

On 6/27/2022 at 5:01 PM, JDuck said:

After 3 years of mediocre bowls like the Johnson Flex Handle Doggie Doo Scooper Bowl on December 16th, the Miami faithful will force him out, he'll be coaching the O-Line at Central Connecticut Tech School for Screwdriver Testers at his next stop.  Rashada will resurrect his college career at Prairie Dog State.

🤣🤣🤣🤣 Couldn't have said it better!

All these schools/boosters paying millions to get kids to go to their school will start getting very angry that their team is still going 9-3 or 10-2 and playing in a bad bowl game.  Teams have to be willing to spend some money, but going all New York Yankees and not winning anything isn't going to sit well with boosters paying the big bucks.

Mario and Jimbo are very good recruiters/coaches, but I'm not sure money will buy them championships.  I think Jimbo got lightning in a bottle in 2013 and 2014 and has been very good, but not great before and after.

It is really hard to win a championship.

• Thumbs Up 1

aTM had a similar injury bug like the Ducks last year. Don't think it's going to happen again.

With the NIL talk he has bulletin board material to spare. I pick them to be very good this year, maybe not Alabama or Georgia good but getting there.

I hate this NIL situation.  We're lucky to have one huge donor who can compete with the big city teams; but PK isn't going to live forever and when that flow stops we're back to the 1980s.  Enjoy the ride while we can.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 6/28/2022 at 11:33 AM, Bruce3404 said:

I hate this NIL situation.  We're lucky to have one huge donor who can compete with the big city teams; but PK isn't going to live forever and when that flow stops we're back to the 1980s.  Enjoy the ride while we can.

I somewhat agree. I don’t know what family ties his wife and the rest who inherit the fortune have with the Ducks but I’m sure life will go on.

The longer the strength of the PK family stays in the Duck corner the stronger the brand will get and if DL can make good things happen on the field I’m sure they will thrive for as long as I’m around.

Edited by Just Ducky
  • Applause 1

The way I see it is by being offered 11M from Florida and turning them down it can't be said he was being paid to go to a particular school and that influenced where he went.

On 6/28/2022 at 3:02 PM, Just Ducky said:

PK isn't going to live forever

I'm assuming there will be a hefty endowment that will last for decades, not only for sports but for academics also.  See Phil and Penny Knight Campus for Accelerating Scientific Impact.

• Thumbs Up 1

Mari better look over his shoulder, Ruiz is going to want a good ROI (return on investment) both in Cristbal and the players he pays.  Remember Maimi got rid of their last coach without an AD in place

On 6/28/2022 at 3:49 PM, Steven A said:

Mari better look over his shoulder, Ruiz is going to want a good ROI (return on investment) both in Cristbal and the players he pays.  Remember Maimi got rid of their last coach without an AD in place

By the time Mari is let go--he will be quite rich and set for life.  He can then coach at a backwater school in Florida for fun.

Oh.  He can't go there because Willie Taggart has that one taken.  

image.jpeg

Mr. FishDuck

On 6/28/2022 at 4:16 PM, Charles Fischer said:

Oh.  He can't go there because Willie Taggart has that one taken.  

For now!