DazeNconfused

Are We Going to See Tenets of the GoGo Offense in Coach Dillingham's Two-Back Sets?

Back in November of 2020 Jermey Mosier wrote a FishDuck Article on the GoGo offense and it was a great piece. December 30th of 2021 Coach Eric Boles did a great piece on Coach Dillingham's Two-Back sets. I'll include link to both FishDuck articles at the end of this post, these articles really fired me up.

With that introduction I thought it is a good time for us on the ODB forum to discuss Two-Back sets and the GoGo offense tenants ahead of the 2022 season.

The GoGo offense is a full time Two-Back-Three WR run heavy system that runs RPO, outside zone, counter, triple option, and toss sweeps. The GoGo can use motion, offset backs, it can use unbalanced lines with tight splits on one side and big splits on the other, all things to sow confusion for defenders. As stated in the FishDuck article it uses horizontal and vertical depth to create confusion, space and numbers advantage in blocking.

The GoGo has 8 offensive players in the Box against 7 defenders if you play deep safeties or deep quarters. Using the numbers advantage the offense can do all kinds of things, you can even block 7 on 7 with the RB's and run the QB. If the defense moves the safety up into the Box, they will then give up man-to-man coverage on a WR thus giving up the vertical space for a shot pass play as Mr. Mosier 

View the FishDuck Article and videos by Jeremy Mosier. Notice in the first video at the 49 second mark how much larger the Tackles line splits compared to the center and guards. Maybe Mr. Mosier or Coach Boles has a great answer for why this is done? My guess is to create more horizontal space and to just confuse the defense with a look that they never see. The GoGo can also run unbalanced lines with different splits side to side as well. 

If we view Coach Boles FishDuck Article we see how Coach Dillingham uses Two-Back sets with a RB on each side of the QB. We, also see him use a halfback in a 21 set and a nice little shovel pass. 

Will we see Coach Dillingham evolve and insert some of the GoGo tenants into his Two-Back sets? Will we see the offset backs? Will we see unbalanced lines with uneven line splits? Will we see any triple option, counter, or toss sweep with a lead blocking back? 

I see Two-Back as a good way to get Seven some carries out of the backfield. We are going to want to get Seven at least a dozen touches a game and at least five of those need to be carries. If we don't line him up in the backfield his carries are limited from WR to Fly sweeps or reverse. 

I can see coach Dillingham using 10-personnel set with Seven at WR and using pre-snap motion to bring him into the backfield and running a sweep with the other back as the lead blocker. Mr. Mosier has the video of the QB running the option to the sidelines, I love Seven in that play too as the pitch man. Obviously, you could also run a bunch of other stuff off this to get Seven a carry in this set, even if he doesn't touch the ball, he is a decoy in essence.

You don't even have to motion the 2nd back in, and I think we could get Hutson a few carries a game out of the Two-Back sets. You also have the factor if they bring a safety in the Box you might get Thorton man-on-man and coach Dillingham will want to take a shot at that. 

Dilly preaches getting numbers, confusion, space with the sets and plays he runs. It will be interesting to see if Dilly runs any of the GoGo tenants of offset backs, unbalanced formations with larger linemen splits to one side, triple option, and counter out of his Two-Back sets.

We won't see the GoGo offense full time, but will we see Dilly use some tenants of it in his Two-Back and how much?

I'm excited as there really seems some promise of using the Two-Back sets to get Seven carries. 

I'm curious as to what others thoughts may be. 

GoGo-Blocking_YouTube-300x300-cropped.jp
FISHDUCK.COM

The GoGo Offense is unlike anything you have witnessed in college football. While we know Oregon's coaching staff has been introduced to it...

Top-Photo-12-30-300x300-cropped.jpg?p=19
FISHDUCK.COM

Coach Eric Boles looks at a few of the ways that Coach Kenny Dillingham will look to use two-back sets in the Oregon offense.

• Great post! 1

Is anyone else running it and if it's such a great offense, why not?

I appreciate the write-up, including reviews of past articles.  From a fan's perspective, I would love to see this system used simply for the variation in play design alone.  I enjoy watching multiple look offenses.  I also think a system that spreads the ball around helps in the NIL self-branding era.

On 6/27/2022 at 3:49 PM, Duck 1972 said:

Is anyone else running it and if it's such a great offense, why not?

Brennan Manion developed it and ran full time it at Howard and William and Mary. He moved up to the Hawaii program under Todd Graham in 2020 and is now at Texas as the WR coach and passing game coordinator since 2021.

No one is running it full time right now. Lincoln Riley ran some GoGo plays at Oklahoma, Kingsbury has run some plays in the NFL and the Patriots have too. I think where we are at is that some teams will run some sets and plays like we have seen with Riley, Kingsbury. They have ran the offset Two-Backs.

I think Mr. FishDuck said something like it would be a system to run full time for a not very talented team to help them compete with scheme. He also made the point if you don't use it full time it's hard to get the full effect of all the twists you can run off it. 

So, the teams that are running it are counting on a surprise effect in the limited number of snaps they run it each game. 

We will know early in the year if Coach Dillingham has added and tenants of the GoGo to his Two-Back. 

On 6/27/2022 at 4:06 PM, idontrollonshobbas said:

I appreciate the write-up, including reviews of past articles.  From a fan's perspective, I would love to see this system used simply for the variation in play design alone.  I enjoy watching multiple look offenses.  I also think a system that spreads the ball around helps in the NIL self-branding era.

That's why Manion created this offense, he can do so much out of it. Here is a pic of aa unbalanced set with huge splits on the weak side of the formation that is also to the boundry side. Notice the trips to the field side, they are spreading this defense out and throwing some funky stuff at them.

gogo-form.webp

Edited by DazeNconfused

I would love it, but don't see it happening because it is not a "get-ready-for-the-NFL" type offense.  In particular, with all the motions and the difficulty with keeping track of who has the ball--defenses have to put more in the box, thus the receivers are one-on-one of which can create big plays.  Franklin, Thornton and McGee could clean up with the GoGo, but as much as I would like to see it--I doubt we see much if any of it.

It was great fun to interview Coach Marion for those articles, but again--it is a longshot at Oregon.  But it could kick-butt...

GoGo-Blocking_YouTube.jpg

Mr. FishDuck

I'm for anything that causes the defense to slow down and think.  Confusing the defense with multiple formations, motion, misdirection is ideal.

Predictability is not what we need.  We saw too much of that the last 4 years!

Making a defensive coordinator over prepare his unit causes players to take a second or more to process instead of being aggressive.  More broken coverages result from confused defenders.

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 3

On 6/27/2022 at 8:26 PM, Charles Fischer said:

I would love it, but don't see it happening because it is not a "get-ready-for-the-NFL" type offense.  In particular, with all the motions and the difficulty with keeping track of who has the ball--defenses have to put more in the box, thus the receivers are one-on-one of which can create big plays.  Franklin, Thornton and McGee could clean up with the GoGo, but as much as I would like to see it--I doubt we see much if any of it.

It was great fun to interview Coach Marion for those articles, but again--it is a longshot at Oregon.  But it could kick-butt...

GoGo-Blocking_YouTube.jpg

I think the odds are good we could see some small GoGo tweaks added to Coach Dillingham's Two-Back sets and I think the most likely is we see the offset backs at times. 

Chip Kelly on the other hand seems like the type of coach who will introduce some of this into his offense. I would not surprise me to see a few snaps a game that Chip has an unbalanced formation with "funky" line splits, it just seems so Chip. 

Chip has never been afraid to run new things, especially if it's new elements for the defense to read and defend.

It wouldn't surprise me if Chip has a few GoGo plays in his back pocket that he throws out there when his gut tells him it's a good time.

Here is a picture of Arizona Cardinals in the GoGo Offset Two-Backs pre-snap

2122104836_49s.thumb.webp.8127c9826fda4c82ce8c0c36096037cd.webp

• Great post! 1
  • Thumbs Up 1