FishDuck Article

Two Potential Pac-12 Trap Games For the Ducks

Seems like it's always Stanford - will it be this year as well?

DtWfUbto-300x300-cropped.jpeg?p=195486
FISHDUCK.COM

Darren Perkins of FishDuck.com believes that the Ducks could struggle in 2022 versus two lesser Pac-12 programs.

Two Sites: FishDuck and the Our Beloved Ducks forum, The only "Forum with Decorum!" And All-Volunteer? What a wonderful community of Duck fans!

100% right on with this one. Cal, Wazzu and one of those pesky Arizona teams (which ever we play at their house) are 3 games I ALWAYS watch out for. I'm hoping we can depend on out-scheming these teams in the future instead of just "being tougher..."

• Thumbs Up 1

I am a bit concerned about the game in corn valley at the end of the season. Smith is building the most under appreciated program in the Pac-12, and a game against the Ducks might be where Smith puts his name out there as the level of coach he is.

If there is a rivalry game out there which hasn't gotten the attention it deserves, it is the, well, I don't know what to call it, but it is a dangerous game, and may become the rivalry game with two programs with a huge history.

I might add by the end of the season the big variable, injuries may rear it's ugly head. If there is one big factor which can swing games it is one team with a head of steam, and another with the injury bug. I hope this isn't the case, but it is a scenario we may want to be cognizant about.

• Great post! 1

Same old items:

1) TOs

2) crappy officiating 

3) stupid penalties (see above)

Of course with a young team and new staff, it's likely there's a game where they just don't show up.

WSU is a good pick every year

Maybe Stanford after an emotional win against WSU

UCLA near the end in a Chip Kelly surprise with some bad officiating and rain 

On 6/28/2022 at 7:29 AM, Wrathis said:

100% right on with this one. Cal, Wazzu and one of those pesky Arizona teams (which ever we play at their house) are 3 games I ALWAYS watch out for. I'm hoping we can depend on out-scheming these teams in the future instead of just "being tougher..."

Zona schools always a thorn in the side...

On 6/28/2022 at 10:22 AM, Haywarduck said:

I am a bit concerned about the game in corn valley at the end of the season. Smith is building the most under appreciated program in the Pac-12, and a game against the Ducks might be where Smith puts his name out there as the level of coach he is.

If there is a rivalry game out there which hasn't gotten the attention it deserves, it is the, well, I don't know what to call it, but it is a dangerous game, and may become the rivalry game with two programs with a huge history.

I might add by the end of the season the big variable, injuries may rear it's ugly head. If there is one big factor which can swing games it is one team with a head of steam, and another with the injury bug. I hope this isn't the case, but it is a scenario we may want to be cognizant about.

Yup, can always count on the Beavs stepping up and being dangerous. I think since they are our rival, that the Ducks tend to be more guarded against let down as opposed to other teams, such as Stanford last year. 

On 6/28/2022 at 10:44 AM, shawnski said:

Same old items:

1) TOs

2) crappy officiating 

3) stupid penalties (see above)

Of course with a young team and new staff, it's likely there's a game where they just don't show up.

WSU is a good pick every year

Maybe Stanford after an emotional win against WSU

UCLA near the end in a Chip Kelly surprise with some bad officiating and rain 

Yes, it will intersting to see how the new staff performs "in-game." Ducks should be out for a little revenge against Stanford, so I'm not overly worried there, but the Chipster could finally get his W against his old team. 

• Thumbs Up 1

I think we are caught up in what has happened to our Ducks the last 4 years and understandingly so. The way we were coached under MC we could have lost any game at any time and we probably deserved to lose more than we did.

How many times did our defense save our buts in one score games the last few years because our offense was shut down by our coach. Does Auburn ring a bell?

I now have complete confidence that this coaching staff will have our young studs read to play and I do expect several blowout games this season. I am sure the conservative approach by inept coaches is gone forever. ( I Hope 🤞🏻).

All though the offense may sputter at times the defense has the talent to be the best Oregon defense ever and should keep us in every game, even Georgia.

That being said I will always fear WSU, especially at home, but my fear of Cal is over.

Go 🦆🦆🦆s

• Let’s hope! 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

The Hollywood ending I'm looking to regarding Justin is one where he turns down the offer from his old team and then they say, "thanks" and unmercifully stomp the golden bears. The Cougs are always scary, QB will throw for 580 yards, but then this D will make some halftime adjustments and the Ducks will get out of the Palouse with the W. 

• Thumbs Up 1

I guess OSU will always have the excuse of they are in Corvallis, but this is year 5 for Jonathan Smith.  No excuses.

Year / record / conf record / Total offense in P12 / Total defense in P12 / defense scoring average

Year 1:  2-10 (1-8) #6 / #12 / #12

Year 2:  5-7 (4-5)  #6 / #9 / #10

Year 3:  2-5 (2-5)  #8 / #10 / #10

Year 4:  7-6 (5-4)  #4 / #9 / #7

Way too much talk of what Jonathan is building at OSU, when looking at the stats and records, it is below average.  I'm not scared of that.  He has slightly improved OSU, but not enough to impress me.

Who knows, maybe he will impress me this year.

On 6/28/2022 at 11:24 AM, Just Ducky said:

I think we are caught up in what has happened to our Ducks the last 4 years and understandingly so. The way we were coached under MC we could have lost any game at any time and we probably deserved to lose more than we did.

How many times did our defense save our buts in one score games the last few years because our offense was shut down by our coach. Does Auburn ring a bell?

I now have complete confidence that this coaching staff will have our young studs read to play and I do expect several blowout games this season. I am sure the conservative approach by inept coaches is gone forever. ( I Hope 🤞🏻).

All though the offense may sputter at times the defense has the talent to be the best Oregon defense ever and should keep us in every game, even Georgia.

That being said I will always fear WSU, especially at home, but my fear of Cal is over.

Go 🦆🦆🦆s

No doubt, we are all sighing in relief at the thought of MC not roaming the sidelines. 

On 6/28/2022 at 11:36 AM, 30Duck said:

The Hollywood ending I'm looking to regarding Justin is one where he turns down the offer from his old team and then they say, "thanks" and unmercifully stomp the golden bears. The Cougs are always scary, QB will throw for 580 yards, but then this D will make some halftime adjustments and the Ducks will get out of the Palouse with the W. 

Yup, the Cougs can usual rack up alot of yards, so they always have that puncher's chance. 

On 6/28/2022 at 11:59 AM, Tandaian said:

I guess OSU will always have the excuse of they are in Corvallis, but this is year 5 for Jonathan Smith.  No excuses.

Year / record / conf record / Total offense in P12 / Total defense in P12 / defense scoring average

Year 1:  2-10 (1-8) #6 / #12 / #12

Year 2:  5-7 (4-5)  #6 / #9 / #10

Year 3:  2-5 (2-5)  #8 / #10 / #10

Year 4:  7-6 (5-4)  #4 / #9 / #7

Way too much talk of what Jonathan is building at OSU, when looking at the stats and records, it is below average.  I'm not scared of that.  He has slightly improved OSU, but not enough to impress me.

Who knows, maybe he will impress me this year.

I think he has done a very good job. The Beavs were at absolute rock bottom when he took over with a severe lack of talent. Will he turn into one of the great coaches nationally? Most likely not. But he will be a very good coach for the Beavers and I think he has a good shot at where Mike Riley had them in his prime years. 

• Thumbs Up 3

I vote with Oregon State as the Trap game, if we accomplish what I think we can.  Will we be "full-of-ourselves" by that time in the season and not be ready? 

Due to their massive stadium remodeling--there will NOT be many Oregon fans allowed, as visiting teams will be given far fewer tickets, and allow OSU fans priority first.

• Like 1

Mr. FishDuck

The Civil War will always be a trap game, that's for sure, especially when played in Corvallis.

• Thumbs Up 1

No trap games this year as the prevent offense has left the room.

• Haha 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

On 6/28/2022 at 8:55 AM, Darren Perkins said:

Yes, it will intersting to see how the new staff performs "in-game." Ducks should be out for a little revenge against Stanford, so I'm not overly worried there, but the Chipster could finally get his W against his old team. 

For whatever reason, I truly feel for this year, every win and every loss will be "Team"

Good or bad 

• Thumbs Up 1

Trap games usually work on the basis of being caught either looking ahead or being caught in a let down. I don’t see looking ahead as an issue with either Stanford or Colorado, but tough, hard wins over BYU and UCLA could make prepping for WSU and Cal a real challenge. 

It will be interesting to see how our new coaching staff game faces.

Edited by Washington Waddler
Missing word
  • Great post! 1
  • Like 1

On 6/28/2022 at 12:29 PM, Charles Fischer said:

I vote with Oregon State as the Trap game, if we accomplish what I think we can.  Will we be "full-of-ourselves" by that time in the season and not be ready? 

Due to their massive stadium remodeling--there will NOT be many Oregon fans allowed, as visiting teams will be given far fewer tickets, and allow OSU fans priority first.

Could be, but I think the Ducks (minus 2020) tend to be up for the rivalry game. Guess we'll find out  more about Lanning on this one. 

On 6/28/2022 at 2:10 PM, Steven A said:

No trap games this year as the prevent offense has left the room.

"Prevent offense." I like that. 

On 6/28/2022 at 4:20 PM, Washington Waddler said:

Trap games usually work on the basis of being caught either looking ahead or being caught in a let down. I don’t see looking ahead as an issue with either Stanford or Colorado, but tough, hard wins over BYU and UCLA could make prepping for WSU and Cal a real challenge. 

It will be interesting to see how our new coaching staff game faces.

Yeah, hopefully prep will be way different with MC gone. 

• Thumbs Up 1

On 6/28/2022 at 4:35 PM, cartm25 said:

I think both WSU and Cal are good picks as they've been thorns for several years now.

If I had to pick two, I'd substitute UCLA for Cal. DTR has had his ups and downs, but if he has one of his "on" games, that could be trouble for the Ducks.

For your viewing pleasure, the P12 After Dark game in 2019. Possibly the craziest game I've ever seen. UCLA comes back after being down 49-17 with 6:00 in the 3rd Quarter:

I remember that, they totally Couged that game. 

• Haha 1

Thank you Darren, always good food  for discussion. My concerns are way before Pac 12 play. Georgia obviously but I doubt that I am the only one concerned about EWU and BYU. Maybe my cup this week is half empty. This is one tough pre-season schedule!

Edited by Santa Rosa Duck

On 6/28/2022 at 2:57 PM, Darren Perkins said:

"Prevent offense." I like that. 

Charles can tell us to whom to give credit for that phrase.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 6/28/2022 at 3:38 PM, Steven A said:

Charles can tell us to whom to give credit for that phrase.

"Prevent Offense" was coined by our own 30Duck here on the OBD forum, and it perfectly described the offense under Cristobal.

• Thumbs Up 1

Mr. FishDuck

My opinion may not be popular but IMO if we cant beat lesser teams then we are in fact a lesser team then those teams.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 6/28/2022 at 2:35 PM, cartm25 said:

I think both WSU and Cal are good picks as they've been thorns for several years now.

If I had to pick two, I'd substitute UCLA for Cal. DTR has had his ups and downs, but if he has one of his "on" games, that could be trouble for the Ducks.

For your viewing pleasure, the P12 After Dark game in 2019. Possibly the craziest game I've ever seen. UCLA comes back after being down 49-17 with 6:00 in the 3rd Quarter:

OK, that was fun.

And boy, Chad Cota made some clutch catches in that game.

And now, he's a Duck!

Go Ducks!

• Thumbs Up 2

Lol, once again they Coug'd it in the Palouse...

• Thumbs Up 2

On 6/28/2022 at 3:27 PM, Santa Rosa Duck said:

Thank you Darren, always good food  for discussion. My concerns are way before Pac 12 play. Georgia obviously but I doubt that I am the only one concerned about EWU and BYU. Maybe my cup this week is half empty. This is one tough pre-season schedule!

So true. A W against Georgia would be gravy. We SHOULD beat BYU as we have more talent and are just, well, better.

While I have all the respect in the world for Eastern Washington right here in my own backyard, they don't stand a chance. They gave the Ducks a headache in 2015 only because the Oregon defense was beyond awful as the wheels of the Helfrich era were beginning to come off. That won't happen this year.....

....and oh yeah, no Cooper Kupp:

"As a junior, Kupp set Autzen Stadium records of 15 catches for 246 yards against Oregon, including three TD grabs."

Edited by Darren Perkins
  • Go Ducks! 1
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1