Charles Fischer

How Many 5-Stars is Lanning After?

Pretty, pretty impressive....but take the last one off as he verballed to Texas this morning.

• Go Ducks! 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

Mr. FishDuck

And Wayne doesn't look too likely at this point with his love to Florida. 

But still... I'm feeling 2-4 possible 5 stars that sign with Oregon. 

• Thumbs Up 1

5-stars are nice... but the value in classes to me is how many top 100 kids you get.

Last year Texas aTm got 18 top 100 on the 247 composite. That kind of class gives you so many high level players at so many positions that you have a huge advantage. 

By contrast Mario got 5 top 100 kids in 2019 and 2021

• Mic drop 1

After watching what Lanning did the last 2 yrs at UGA how could any defensive player not come to Oregon. I just don't get it.

All the players say getting to the pros is #1. 5 first round draft picks. Never been done before. Lots of pics in last 2 years.

I just don't get it!

On 6/29/2022 at 2:00 PM, Duck 1972 said:

After watching what Lanning did the last 2 yrs at UGA how could any defensive player not come to Oregon. I just don't get it.

All the players say getting to the pros is #1. 5 first round draft picks. Never been done before. Lots of pics in last 2 years.

I just don't get it!

It's still over 6 months to signing day give it time. It's not about how you start it's how you close.

Recruiting is 2 to 3 years building relationships with kids and our staff have been ducks for 6 months or so. Lanning is recruiting kids to Oregon he just started working on unless he was after them when he was at UG. 

I'm sure Lanning will pull some defensive kids in who didn't have Oregon on their radar. He might get one or two of them top 100 DL guys who would rather come play for Lanning and be the top recruit compared to being the freshmen on a roster full of DL dudes ranked high. 

I think Lanning will have a good defense this year and that will help close the deal with some kids by signing day.

Then the 2024 kids he will have two full years working on and that class will probably fill up a little quicker and the odds of him getting some of those rare elite DL beasts will be higher 

• Thanks 1
  • Great post! 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 6/29/2022 at 2:19 PM, DazeNconfused said:

I think Lanning will have a good defense this year and that will help close the deal with some kids by signing day.

This is going to be a much bigger factor on both offense and defense, IMHO, because I believe both sides of the ball are coming out surprising and impressing people.  Remember what Lanning's mantra....

"It is not what you say, but what you do."

• Like 1

Mr. FishDuck

Dante Moore and any combo of 2-3 of the other 5* players is a darn good day in my book.

Something I gave learned in this process... I am goshdurned impatient.  

• Salute 1
  • Haha 2

Verballed to Texas this morning...don't forget early signing day is well into December.  Let's just give Sarkisian 12 games to get to 7-5 and THEN see how many verbal's still want to underachieve there...just like the UW and USC days.   We'll be loaded at WR anyhow.  DT, DE, ILB, CB, OT, OG, Moore and Young...let's load up there.  Class of '24 could be insane if we see success on the field this year.

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Sark and MariØ are stellar recruiters with questionable coaching records. Sark has been handed elite programs all his life.

Lanning is a stellar recruiter, who just might pull off the coaching trick. Just imagine an elite recruiter who can actually coach, the magic formula. Go Ducks!

• Go Ducks! 1

I'm as skeptical as anyone when it comes to recruiting...and the commit then decommit lifestyle has got me all sorts of twisted. However, I'm now choosing to look at recruiting in much the same way I've been forced to look at golf: put it behind you and keep looking ahead. After every bad shot, I know I'm still just one good shot from par (Walter Hagen style lol). With recruiting we may lose a Kingsley but bring in a Nix. We might lose a highly coveted recruit but flip a Flowe on signing day.

"Three bad shots and one good one still make par..."