Kurt Rambis

USC, UCLA Looking to Leave Pac-12 for Big Ten in 2024

Holy %^*&

ucla-usc-line-2015.jpg
WWW.CBSSPORTS.COM

A second round of power conference realignment in as many years may be about to begin

Yikes! I hope we have a good backup plan. 

If this moves forward you can see Oregon leaving and maybe Washington. 

Wish-washy SouCal chameleons. You can never paint over who you really are.  Regional identity in football is the bottom line.

The end of the Pac-12....Wowsa.  Gotta stew on this a while...

Mr. FishDuck

Initial guess is this is a power move to change revenue sharing in the Pac.  They have the best location so of course they should get the most money, at least that is what their selfish little minds think.

If they can't dominate a weakened Pac-12 how will they fare against THE OSU, Michigan, etc.  

On 6/30/2022 at 11:02 AM, McDuck said:

Initial guess is this is a power move to change revenue sharing in the Pac.  They have the best location so of course they should get the most money, at least that is what their selfish little minds think.

If they can't dominate a weakened Pac-12 how will they fare against THE OSU, Michigan, etc.  

You are quite right, as this is a way to bring the conference to the negotiating table, but it would still spell the end of the conference as the "have-nots" would get less money, and thus join a Group-of-5 conference? 

(Bye-Bye Beavers?)

Mr. FishDuck

If I was Mullens I'd be calling the B1G Commish and telling NOW is his chance to make me an offer to adds the Ducks and lose UCLA.

On 6/30/2022 at 11:02 AM, McDuck said:

I believe that's absolutely what's going on here.  Moving to the Big10, to me, doesn't make much sense in a couple ways:

1. 1. Increased costs traveling farther for virtually every away game

2. 2. Increased competition.  In the Pac12 USC realistically only needs to worry about Oregon and Utah; in the Big10 they have to deal with tOSU, Michigan, Wisconsin, and Penn St which is a tougher group in the aggregate.

It's all about the $$$.

Edited by kirklandduck
  • Thumbs Up 1

The “Oregon is going to be a mid major in two years” narrative should help with recruiting.  

Unbelievable.  I hope Oregon is out in front of this and has a plan to respond quickly.  

I really believed the addition of NIL and conference realignment would be a huge benefit for Oregon.  I am starting to think I was wrong. 

On 6/30/2022 at 1:10 PM, DazeNconfused said:

If I was Mullens I'd be calling the B1G Commish and telling NOW is his chance to make me an offer to adds the Ducks and lose UCLA.

Would fall on deaf ears, it is all about LA. 

• Thumbs Up 1

The Ducks with the Fuskies would be the next pair plucked away. ACC must be sweating (foot)balls, Clemson, Florida State, Miami, they'll be next to move.... we're almost there, two power conferences then everybody else. 

Edited by Darren Perkins

On 6/30/2022 at 11:28 AM, Darren Perkins said:

The Ducks with the Fuskies would be the next pair plucked away.

Two Super-Conferences of 20 each teams? I agree with GeotechDuck. My sense of fairness applauded the beginning of NIL. Now???

This does not surprise me in any way.

Yesterday I said that UO needs to do what's best for UO. I stand by that statement. Schill and Mullens need to be presenting their university to all suitors.

Edited by DUCati855

This is the end of the PAC-12.  The clowns in control had their chance going all the way back to Texas and Oklahoma almost joining and then most recently when Texas and Oklahoma moved to the SEC.  Once that happened it was only a matter of time. 

The PAC-12 has been that Ostrich that sticks it's head in the ground and hopes when it pulls it head out everything will be better.  Well now your in the pooh pooh.  

The only options I see for our Ducks are join the Big 10 or go independent and going independent is a helluva hard ride. 

Unfortunately we don't have any time at this point.  Mullins and the UofO president need to earn their salaries on this one and start talks with the Big 10 yesterday.

Hang on to your hats people this ride could bet bumpy!

If donors can pony up huge $$ for high school kids, they can help defray the cost of travel to the B1G.

I'm just surprised at how early this was leaked. It sounds like there is a lot of negotiations and decisions to made by all parties. Unlike with Texas and OU, that was a mostly done deal when that news broke.

This makes me suspicious. Maybe this is a negotiating ploy.

If not, this would kill the Pac. We'd have to add Fresno St., UC Santa Barbara, UC San Diego...oy vay!

I can't find anything about the Pac 12 exit fee.  I don't believe even if given a long enough warning a team can just exit the Pac 12.  If I remember correctly, it is something like 18 months and 25 mil exit fee at the cheapest.

What if Ducks, UU, CU and AZ schools join Big 12? UO still rules the west coast, still the top dog in a conference and now expands their footprint into Texas and east coast.

• Thumbs Up 3

The tv mafia has destroyed CFB as we knew it. Unfortunately you can’t fall back to HS either as they are swarmed with agents as well. 

But

thanks for all the fish!

• Applause 1

On 6/30/2022 at 2:28 PM, Darren Perkins said:

The Ducks with the Fuskies would be the next pair plucked away. ACC must be sweating (foot)balls, Clemson, Florida State, Miami, they'll be next to move.... we're almost there, two power conferences then everybody else.

Where would Oregon go if not the BIG10?  It seems the BIG10 would be the way to go?

Maybe USC, UCLA, us and Wasington would be enticing for the BIG10 to take all  four schools?

If the Big-10 was really interested in adding more teams, I think they would have made that play now and it would have come out.  Unfortunately, I think that ship has probably sailed for Oregon.  Oregon doesn't have a major TV market and although we are an AAU school, the Wall Street Journal article that came out ranking Oregon 12th in the Pac-12 (and 375 nationally) in academics probably won't help our case.      

As someone pointed out above, the ACC is going to be sweating and will probably look to add two more teams immediately to secure their 16 team conference to be in line with the Big-10 and SEC. 

I agree with TKK.  I think Oregon, Washington, Stanford, and Cal need to go to the Big-12 immediately and make a play to join that conference.  

Wasn't one of the points of the "alliance" was to help prevent poaching of teams from other conferences?

This is going to hurt us badly in recruiting. We could lose recruits starting tomorrow. Who wants to join a lame Duck conference? Rob Mullens better do everything humanly possible to follow USC and UCLA to the Big 10.

I'm curious, are we fans of conferences, or fans of colleges?  In my youth, conferences were more important.  Nowadays, my allegiance is to my college - Oregon.  I think Oregon needs to think what is best for Oregon - now and be flexible and agile enough to future proof.

I am saddened by the loss of the ole football tradition.  I'm ready to embrace the reality of NIL, transfer portal, playoff, college football now.

Edited by Daniel C

If Ducks don't get an invite to Big-10, can always go Independent in football. Oregon would the only top-tier program out west (huskies could also be if they can get it together), so to get a decent schedule power ranking for playoff purposes would need to drop out of the Pac-12.  Can still play a majority of old pac-12 rivals then juice it up with sexy non-conference games.  

On 6/30/2022 at 12:05 PM, kirklandduck said:

Wasn't one of the points of the "alliance" was to help prevent poaching of teams from other conferences?

I'd say the "alliance" is moot at this point.  I'm curious to learn what $c, and UCLA really do.  Infinitely so pertaining to Mullens, and UofO powers that be decide to do.

On 6/30/2022 at 12:16 PM, Darren Perkins said:

If Ducks don't get an invite to Big-10, can always go Independent in football. Oregon would the only top-tier program out west (huskies could also be if they can get it together), so to get a decent schedule power ranking for playoff purposes would need to drop out of the Pac-12.  Can still play a majority of old pac-12 rivals then juice it up with sexy non-conference games.  

Yeah, we have the backing of Nike and we have an incredible international brand.  I would back this idea/ path

Part of me just wants Oregon to go all in and join the SEC! 
Improved recruiting access (not that they aren’t doing great) TV and financial benefits, visits to home for players from the South East, 4 non conf games, and we’d finally get SEC teams in Autzen! 

maybe just dreaming here???

• Thumbs Up 2

On 6/30/2022 at 12:27 PM, Duck out of Water said:

Part of me just wants Oregon to go all in and join the SEC! 
Improved recruiting access (not that they aren’t doing great) TV and financial benefits, visits to home for players from the South East, 4 non conf games, and we’d finally get SEC teams in Autzen! 

maybe just dreaming here???

This just may be the kick in the pants the Ducks need to take some bold steps they wouldn't take otherwise.

• Thumbs Up 1

Welcome to the BIG/PAC16/18/20

So... Maybe the PAC12 should have added TECH, OSU, KANSAS, HOUSTON/BAYLOR

• Thumbs Up 1

I hope this doesn’t happen but it’s not surprising.  It’s about expanding the television market for the Big 10.  They added Rutgers and Maryland before for this reason.  Now they want the huge LA market.  
SEC adding OU and Texas also pushed the Big10 to this more quickly.  

I still think the Big 10 would be interested in Oregon.  Oregon draws eyeballs like no other team in the PAC-12. 

With all the Nike support and national attention we get I think the BIG 10 would seriously consider Oregon as a member.  

In this day and age the media market isn't just local.   Oregon draws nationally, maybe not like an Alabama or even Ohio State but there ain't many of those around.

• Thumbs Up 2

A lot of SEC  fans were against expanding the SEC by taking Texas and Oklahoma. Many of us would rather have added Florida State and Clemson if expansion were to happen. At least that ensures that the added teams were truly Southeastern.

I absolutely hate the cannibalization of conferences. Maybe I am simply too traditional, but with this trend and an out-of-control NIL scene my interest in my favorite game is flagging a bit.

• Thumbs Up 5

Echo's of the breakup of the Pacific Coast Conference.  Oregon became independent and actually did fairly well until it rejoined what became the Pac-8 in the mid-60's.

Guest willville

UCLA and USC to the Big 10. UW and the Ducks likely to follow. The Ducks will not be left on the sidelines. Pac 10, 12, is going to be a zero. 

On 6/30/2022 at 12:44 PM, sad BIG12 fan said:

Welcome to the BIG/PAC16/18/20

So... Maybe the PAC12 should have added TECH, OSU, KANSAS, HOUSTON/BAYLOR

This was a big miss by the current Pac12 commissioner and to me a contributing factor should USC/UCLA leave.

Oregon has the Portland TV market, so to say we don't have a TV market is a little premature.  Seattle is 12 and Portland is 21.  San Fran is #6 TV market.  The funny thing about USC/UCLA is how marginal their TV numbers are, even though they are in LA.  Nearly 6 million people is a lot, but just about every major league sport and college sport has always mentioned just how band wagon those schools/LA is.

Edited by Tandaian

On 6/30/2022 at 1:03 PM, Nevada Dawg said:

A lot of SEC  fans were against expanding the SEC by taking Texas and Oklahoma. Many of us would rather have added Florida State and Clemson if expansion were to happen. At least that ensures that the added teams were truly Southeastern.

I absolutely hate the cannibalization of conferences. Maybe I am simply too traditional, but with this trend and an out-of-control NIL scene (and don't insult my intelligence by saying that teams are not buying players) my interest in my favorite game is flagging a bit.

Wouldn't it be a kick in the pants to think of Oregon being the northern, and western most member of the SEC? 😂😜

On 6/30/2022 at 1:17 PM, Tandaian said:

Oregon has the Portland TV market, so to say we don't have a TV market is a little premature.  Seattle is 12 and Portland is 21.  The funny thing about USC/UCLA is how marginal their TV numbers are, even though they are in LA.  Nearly 6 million people is a lot, but just about every major league sport and college sport has always mentioned just how band wagon those schools/LA is.

QFT, I'm orginally from northern Orange County (La Palma - Kennedy High School - Eddie Pleasant). 

With so many distractions/ activities in LA... the fandom can be very fickle.

No way.   Shows how scared of UO both UCLA and USC are.  Not gonna happen.  No way.  Uh-uh.........

• Go Ducks! 1

Wait a minute, just hold on, this is, "the Conference of Champions" we're talking about here!

image.jpeg.9edb8c64d35953a02633080bcf7de343.jpeg

• Mic drop 1

Were is Bill?  He needs to shame UCLA about sticking with the conference of Champions.

Sounds like a bargaining ploy to get more TV revenue to me

It appears the PAC is the new Big East...

• Oh no! 1

Hell I wouldn't mind being the big fish in a little pond. If they leave add San Diego State, Nevada, Boise State and Fresno State.

Then take all of the B12 merge them into West and Midwest divisions. That would be a big enough market. We stay in the same footprint. We would have our own Super Conference.

Let USC and UCLA go to B10 where they will never win. I bet the only reason the B10 would want them is the big stadium's so they wouldn't lose a lot of money on the travel and away games.

There are still enough athletes to put a good product on the field. We then could play the other super conferences champions for the natty.  Or the West Midwest has its own champion like the division 11 has. That would be sufficient for me especially if we had champions playing the other champions. Wouldn't be much different than it is right now. We could even take 2 from each for an expanded PO.

I would prefer that scenario to any others. It wouldn't ruin it for the rest of the teams who don't get to join the sec or b10

Wow. That will be so weird. Guess nothing stays the same forever. Wonder if the rest of the PAC will want to join with Big 10 to form a really super-sized (you want fries with that?) conference.

• Haha 1

Pac 10 and Big 12 must merge. That would be a respectable conference.

• Thumbs Up 1

Hehehehe, while these moves typically happen in pairs, what if we spurn the Fuskies once and for all and Oregon/Clemson bounce and join the B10 or SEC?!?!  There's a very petty part of me that would laugh my butt off about that while leaving the rest of the PAC and B12 to merge and create a mediocre kinda super conference. Granted, I'd miss Utah but leaving Washington behind holding the hot potato really does make me laugh! "There ya go you miserable butt sniffers, now you'll NEVER be able to keep us out of a Rose Bowl again!" Hahahahahaha!!!

• Haha 1

Let them go and bring on OK State, Baylor & Houston. 

• Thumbs Up 1