Kurt Rambis

USC, UCLA Looking to Leave Pac-12 for Big Ten in 2024

Been thinking about this a little now.  The logistics for USC & UCLA playing in the Big 10 will be a nightmare. 

Both these schools have a lot of competitive sports programs and compete for National Championships in other sports.   Trying to play league games against teams on the other side of the country will be an absolute nightmare for many of these sports and no picnic for football either. 

I would not be surprised if the Big 10, once USC & UCLA reached out to them, started planning for the breakup of the PAC-12.  They must have realized that the PAC-12 couldn't survive without USC & UCLA. 

They also (both the Big 10 and USC & UCLA) realized that the scheduling and playing issues would be massive with just two teams out west.   But if they cherry picked a few more teams out west which would form a west pod (Oregon, Washington, maybe Stanford and Cal) so that these teams could schedule each other in all sports that would pretty much solve the logistics issue.  

I think the big picture there are a lot more shoes to drop in this one. 

• Thumbs Up 3

Ugh, no idea who's idea it was, but the Pac 12 has no exit fee.   They only hold media rights through 2024.  So, USC and UCLA didn't have to give any notice, they could have just walked.  Although, I'm not sure when they are going to be in discussions with their new TV, so USC/UCLA just couldn't be like I'm not signing it without some awkwardness.

Only ACC and Big 12 have exit fees at the moment.

Big-12 is on the move too now...

ibb2nffibw2ky30cr0ub.jpg
BLEACHERREPORT.COM

USC and UCLA are reportedly planning to leave the Pac-12 for the Big Ten as early as 2024, per <a...

Granted.. I do think the Arizona schools, Utah and Colorado would be happier in the Big-12.

This could create the scenario where the Pac-8 is reunited in the B1G as the Pacific part of the conference... I'll be honest... I would like that.

Merge the B10 and P12. Make the Rose Bowl the conference championship game. SEC can't compete.

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 3

Well it looks like a done deal -hopefully the Ducks do something and fast.

• Thumbs Up 1

In my mind, if USC & UCLA are going to the Big 10, then Oregon and Washington are also going to the Big 10.  It's a done deal.  

Not sure how many more of the PAC-12 they take but I think those 4 teams are in

for sure.

What's wrong with a conference of 10 teams?  If UCLA and USC jump, why follow them or expand the conference?  Everybody else is doing it is no answer.

With 10 teams you have a round-robin schedule.  For you younger folks, that mneans everybody plays everybody.  No playoff game at the end, like it used to be since the beginning of conferences.  Win the regular season and you're the conference champion.

If I were the AD and/or the UO president I would not be talking to the B1G, or the SEC.  From my over 70 years of following college football the major factor that looms over everything is the time zones.  We're three hours behind the big SEC teams, and always will be, same for much of the B1G.  I detest the idea of one conference for football and a different conference for everything else, which is what will happen if football jumps to one of the two major conferences.

To UCLA and USC I would say:"Bye, don't let the door hit you in the ass on your way out!"  (That very well might be the end of their musings about making the leap.)

No!  The AD and university president should do the smart thing.  Talk to all the other schools that are not looking for the next major conference realignment.  Get 80 schools willing to form eight 10-team conferences by geography.  Then you have an eight team playoff in football, and also have every school play a post season game against a team from another conference.  Conference runner-up vs. conference runner-up, and so forth.  Have an interconference competition.

What then will happen is that the winner of the geographic alignment of eight conferences will be the college football national champion and the winner of the semi-pro conferences, B1G and SEC, will be something else. Basketball history would be a good analogy.  In ten years the semi-pro playoffs of the B1G and the SEC will be about as significant as the NIT, and everybody else will be the NCAA.

I may be stuck in the past when it comes to transfer portal and NIL, but if I were in charge, I would go more in the direction of fans watching players who truly are amateurs.  I believe all this pay for play thing will lead to players who are not as interesting to watch as those we have been watching for decades.  Yes, I do not watch pro football, unless a former Duck is the QB.

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 6/30/2022 at 3:22 PM, Grandpa Duck said:

What's wrong with a conference of 10 teams?  If UCLA and USC jump, why follow them or expand the conference?  Everybody else is doing it is no answer.

Money sadly... without the LA market firmly locked in with the LA schools the Pac-12/10 wouldn't have a good negotiating position for new media rights.

Also adding more members to the PAC is really not going to help due to the Pac-12's problematic football geography in terms of major marketplaces and potential expansion targets that would actually want to join the PAC.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 6/30/2022 at 3:22 PM, Grandpa Duck said:

With 10 teams you have a round-robin schedule.  For you younger folks, that mneans everybody plays everybody.  No playoff game at the end, like it used to be since the beginning of conferences.  Win the regular season and you're the conference champion.

If I were the AD and/or the UO president I would not be talking to the B1G, or the SEC.  From my over 70 years of following college football the major factor that looms over everything is the time zones.  We're three hours behind the big SEC teams, and always will be, same for much of the B1G.  I detest the idea of one conference for football and a different conference for everything else, which is what will happen if football jumps to one of the two major conferences.

To UCLA and USC I would say:"Bye, don't let the door hit you in the ass on your way out!"  (That very well might be the end of their musings about making the leap.)

No!  The AD and university president should do the smart thing.  Talk to all the other schools that are not looking for the next major conference realignment.  Get 80 schools willing to form eight 10-team conferences by geography.  Then you have an eight team playoff in football, and also have every school play a post season game against a team from another conference.  Conference runner-up vs. conference runner-up, and so forth.  Have an interconference competition.

What then will happen is that the winner of the geographic alignment of eight conferences will be the college football national champion and the winner of the semi-pro conferences, B1G and SEC, will be something else. Basketball history would be a good analogy.  In ten years the semi-pro playoffs of the B1G and the SEC will be about as significant as the NIT, and everybody else will be the NCAA.

I may be stuck in the past when it comes to transfer portal and NIL, but if I were in charge, I would go more in the direction of fans watching players who truly are amateurs.  I believe all this pay for play thing will lead to players who are not as interesting to watch as those we have been watching for decades.  Yes, I do not watch pro football, unless a former Duck is the QB.

I agree 100%, wouldn't change a single word of what you wrote.

This is amazing!  Joel wins the internet for the day.  

BBA85D84-7AB2-457E-AC59-908C1AF2313E.jpeg

• Haha 2
  • Mic drop 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Another nail in the coffin of collegiate sports where we have NILS, athletes jumping schools without penalty and now schools jumping conferences (ok, that's not BRAND NEW, but certainly a recent phenomenon).  At some point, and for many of the same reasons, I stopped caring about pro sports, at least during the regular seasons and I'm wondering if this isn't going to carry over re my (and others') thoughts about college sports.  

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

The California players at USC and UCLA may find it interesting playing in Iowa, Michigan, Wisconsin, and Ohio in late October and into November on a regular basis. Brrr.

• Thumbs Up 1

Curious that they would strand the Bay Area and PNW

• Thumbs Up 2

On 6/30/2022 at 3:40 PM, GeotechDuck said:

This is amazing!  Joel wins the internet for the day.  

OK....that is funny!  Many years ago...Joel wrote at FishDuck...

fans.KC_-e1387683495270-300x300-cropped.
FISHDUCK.COM

Oh no! How much worse can it possibly get? It's the end of an era! The sky is falling! It's sadder than a country & western love song! In fact, it should be a...

• Thumbs Up 1

Mr. FishDuck

And how will recruits feel about this?

On 6/30/2022 at 4:03 PM, Nevada Dawg said:

A lot of SEC  fans were against expanding the SEC by taking Texas and Oklahoma. Many of us would rather have added Florida State and Clemson if expansion were to happen. At least that ensures that the added teams were truly Southeastern.

I absolutely hate the cannibalization of conferences. Maybe I am simply too traditional, but with this trend and an out-of-control NIL scene my interest in my favorite game is flagging a bit.

I agree.  I was against adding Texas and OU to the SEC.  Not for geographical reasons but bc I guess I’m a traditionalist a bit also.  I don’t like to see the Big 12 or PAC 12 get their teams poached by stronger conferences.  I have a fair understanding of why this is happening, but I don’t like it.  I guess change is inevitable so you might as well go with it.  I’m sure many CFB fans have been unhappy about the many major changes that have happened in the past.  

• Thumbs Up 1

Well, now hopefully they'll at least change that goofy B1G name.

The Big Ten Conference has voted to accept both USC and crosstown rival UCLA as full members of the conference effective August 2, 2024, enabling both schools to remain in the Pac-12 Conference for
the duration of the Pac-12's existing media rights agreements.

2022_SOC_AnnounceB1G_Web_1920x1080_58_.p
USCTROJANS.COM

The University of Southern California will take the historic step of joining the Big Ten Conference in 2024, a move that will position USC and its student-athletes for long-term success in both...

As far as these changes go, whatever happens, Oregon will be fine.  As a Duck pointed out before, Oregon has a strong TV market with Portland and with being a national brand.  Heck, I’ve been glued to the TV for every Oregon game I could watch since I was a teenager.  Often in GA and often in Ontario, but always on the other side of the country or other side of North America.  

It’s true it might hurt recruiting a bit initially, and it might send the PAC-12 into panic mode.  But things will work out for Oregon.  I’m inclined to agree with GrandpaDuck’s sentiments “Don’t let the door hit you in the ass on your way out!”

If this happens, whether Oregon follows to the Big 10 or finds another avenue, the Ducks will be fine.  Hell, I expect them to be a national powerhouse again soon under Lanning and Co no matter what.  

• Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

Been saying for YEARS that the Pac12 Network, with its refusal to make deals with more providers, has created a GRAVEYARD for athletes or coaches who may desire to join the Pac12.  Due to the geographical disadvantage of the West Coast time zone, the Pac12 Network should have bent over backward to showcase its athletes and coaches. Instead, due to corporate GREED,  they limited coverage.

Why should any athlete or coach sign on to such a inane situation? When they can guarantee more TV coverage by going elsewhere? It's a  horrible situation for the athletes and the FANS who only want to SEE their beloved teams! Our Beloved Ducks should sever themselves from this untenable situation ASAP!

• Go Ducks! 1

Oregon has the 7th largest fan base in the nation. Global brand. USC is 9th largest. If Oregon wants into B10 they will be in the B10. FOX aired a few Duck games last season so that relationship exists already. Duck future will be dictated on Duck terms.