Charles Fischer

Good Gosh...Trojans and Bruins Have Officially Left the Pac-12

How betrayed do you feel?  Not even a shot at trying to work it out?

2022_SOC_AnnounceB1G_Web_1920x1080_58_.p
USCTROJANS.COM

USC will take the historic step of joining the Big Ten Conference in 2024, a move that will position USC and its student-athletes for long-term success in both athletics and academics.

Mr. FishDuck

?url=https%3A%2F%2Fcalifornia-times-brig
WWW.LATIMES.COM

USC and UCLA are leaving the Pac-12 for the Big Ten, a shift that will move college football's 'Power Five' closer to a 'Power Two.'

Mr. FishDuck

I cant say on the forum what I would really like to say--so Ill just leave it at that.

Edited by 1Ducker1
  • Like 1

Wow, this feels just like finding out your 1st wife is sleeping with some dude she met at work... Oh, wait, that happened too... 

Edited by olcodgerduck
  • Oh no! 1

I just read that President Shill saying Oregon has no comment. I absolutely don't want to go to the b 10. I still think the rest of the PAC and Big 12 merge add SD St Nevada Boise State and Fresno State. Create 2 divisions play a championship game. We'd have 1/2 the country there would be a TV deal that would be enough for us to put a good product on the field. We probably won't get the top talent but there would be enough talent for a competitive conference in every state in the Midwest and West Coast.

Why wouldn't that be the best play here. Let USC and UCLA go to play away games get there butt handed to them and return in a 4 hr plane ride. They won't have the beef to ever compete with tOSU Mich/St Wisc PSU Iowa they will be playing away games with a 2 hr time change that will affect the Cali boys.

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

IMO the P12 is done. 

You snooze you lose, time for Oregon to lookout for it's own interest.

• Thumbs Up 2

I don't know what to think about this. I suspect OBD will find themselves in a much better position. The fans of OBD are rabid and win or lose, remain rabid. SC fan not so much. How many times has SC fan flipped over to the Laker game halfway through the 3rd?

• Applause 1

On 6/30/2022 at 5:46 PM, Log Haulin said:

I don't know what to think about this. I suspect OBD will find themselves in a much better position. The fans of OBD are rabid and win or lose, remain rabid. SC fan not so much. How many times has SC fan flipped over to the Laker game halfway through the 3rd?

Same can be said about college football in the Bay Area too.

Guest Axel

It's official. USC is now the University of Spoiled C*********s. Fill in the blanks as you see fit. My suggestion is Cornhuskers. But now that I reflect on it, I don't recall seeing any corn fields, combines, or threshers at Exposition Park.

I'm sure someone can think of something more accurate.

I would think the Big 10 would consider Oregon and Washington viable partners to the Big 10.if the two Universities approach them, unless it’s too late?

I am hoping Oregon is moving quickly behind the scenes doing what’s right for Oregon.

This has really put Oregon in a pickle.

Edited by NJDuck

I have a bad feeling about this.  

I don't see a PAC anything in 2024.  Who is going to fill the void for that huge LA market?  Geographically, who is attractive?  Surely not the Pacific Northwest.

Did any Conference President apply Game Theory to the conditions on the ground the past twelve months?

Surely everyone could see USC wasn't going to accept Rutgers making more money a year than the Trojans.  Are you kidding me?

Conference of Champions.  What a hollow theme.  

So what gives now?  OBD are facing the ultimate threat to the brand.  Does anyone here believe the Ducks have 12 months to show elite recruits that Oregon will be a destination school to further their football goals? 

I suspect after a few days, after the dust settles and more is revealed,  most of us on OBDF will see this as a golden opportunity. I don't know yet how that looks. I do have a gut feeling this is a blessing for the Ducks.

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Let’s hope! 1

Adios Trojans and Bruins!

Our Ducks will see you agaiin in another time and place. And oh by the way, dob't let the door hit you in the derriere.

On 6/30/2022 at 8:50 PM, Mike West said:

So what gives now?  OBD are facing the ultimate threat to the brand.  Does anyone here believe the Ducks have 12 months to show elite recruits that Oregon will be a destination school to further their football goals?

If it’s not too late, for Oregon sake, could join the Big 10 as well.

Edited by NJDuck
  • Go Ducks! 1

I think Oregon and UW go to the Big 10. Wilner has Tweeted that they’re not done expanding. Both teams basically give the Big 10 the entire West Coast TV market. If they can nab Stanford and ND then that gives them The Bay Area and Chicago. This would make two super conferences. ND has to see the writing on the wall. Join a conference or be left to rot. It would also put them in the same conference as two of their big West Coast rivals.

Edited by DrJacksPlaidPants
  • Go Ducks! 1
  • Let’s hope! 1

I’m guessing Oregon and Washington are both in the process of applying to be the Big 10’s newest members. It’s the only move that makes sense. I’m also guessing that they will both be unanimously accepted by tomorrow night. Wow!! I didn’t see this coming. 

• Let’s hope! 1

As I said on the pinned thread that I came to before this, “I don’t like it one bit.”

Das is das end

In the end I wonder what the players think? Imagine committing to Oregon and getting to play OSU, MI, Neb , USC, UCLA, etc on a semi regular basis.

Seems to me it would be a big bonus to offer recruits. 

As P12 fans it's rough since travel would be a big downer, but the home games would be much better for the most part. 

Sad situation but at the same time it's what fans have always wanted. How often do Big10 schools come to Oregon? Hardly ever so I think the quality or at least the excitement of the game will be better. 

Assuming Oregon joins the Big10.

On 6/30/2022 at 9:19 PM, CalBear95 said:

Das is das end

Riley and Wilcox are probably like this dude.

85B8A4D4-CF50-491D-A913-9ED1C2CCE1E3.webp

On 6/30/2022 at 5:35 PM, Duck 1972 said:

I just read that President Shill saying Oregon has no comment. I absolutely don't want to go to the b 10. I still think the rest of the PAC and Big 12 merge add SD St Nevada Boise State and Fresno State. Create 2 divisions play a championship game. We'd have 1/2 the country there would be a TV deal that would be enough for us to put a good product on the field. We probably won't get the top talent but there would be enough talent for a competitive conference in every state in the Midwest and West Coast.

Why wouldn't that be the best play here. Let USC and UCLA go to play away games get there butt handed to them and return in a 4 hr plane ride. They won't have the beef to ever compete with tOSU Mich/St Wisc PSU Iowa they will be playing away games with a 2 hr time change that will affect the Cali boys.

The Pac 8-10-12 has always avoided many west coast schools because they do not meet minimum standards.

Can't believe anyone would like to join the b10. Away games that the opponent has an 3 hr advantage and start at 6 or 9 am for us fans let alone the teams at 2am, and weather worse than Wazu and that's terrible.

Besides we and almost all the teams left have to small of stadiums

They would lose money on travel, ticket sales, and concessions sales to come play at our houses.

Create a West Coast Midwest conference. Make our league be more than just about money, playing by fair rules with NIL and portal. Caring and providing for the student athletes instead of a factory minor league for the NFL. Keeping the amateur history of CFB.

With 1/2 the country there would be a TV deal. Fan bases that Vow to never watch another b10 or sec games. I don't already.

This would be my solution and can't believe other Pac teams would object. It wasn't like we were competitive with the other leagues anyway.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 6/30/2022 at 8:52 PM, Log Haulin said:

I suspect after a few days, after the dust settles and more is revealed,  most of us on OBDF will see this as a golden opportunity. I don't know yet how that looks. I do have a gut feeling this is a blessing for the Ducks.

I’m not being a smart a$$ at all, just asking what makes you feel this is a positive?  You’ve a much better understanding of the program than I.  Where is the positive for the Ducks?  Again, I don’t intended this as a derogatory question.  Just curious bc I’d like to think the same.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 6/30/2022 at 6:51 PM, SoGaDawg said:

I’m not being a smart a$$ at all, just asking what makes you feel this is a positive?  You’ve a much better understanding of the program than I.  Where is the positive for the Ducks?  Again, I don’t intended this as a derogatory question.  Just curious bc I’d like to think the same.

Oregon is a global brand. They have the 7th largest fan base in the nation. They have Nike. Oregon has an "IT" factor that both the B1G and SEC would welcome with open arms. Oregon has top notch leadership in their AD.

Whether the Ducks jump into one of the big 2 or go independent the will thrive. Slide into the B1G or SEC and they get automatic exposure. If they go independent the mountain is much steeper with TV exposure.

Oregon has climbed the mountain before.  That little ol' school in Or'gone with the 2 and 3 star players. Yea... Orygun will be fine.

• Great post! 1

On 6/30/2022 at 6:36 PM, Duck 1972 said:

With 1/2 the country there would be a TV deal. Fan bases that Vow to never watch another b10 or sec games. I don't already.

This would be my solution and can't believe other Pac teams would object. It wasn't like we were competitive with the other leagues anyway

I'm not sure there are going to be many programs that can afford football in the next ten years.  

San Diego State is not going to replace USC as a money generating prospect.  And it has the second largest population in California.

I don't believe FSU, Clemson and Miami stay in the ACC past 2024. They'll break their contract.  

Half the country isn't like SEC and BIG10 football.  Those fans are for real, we're fair weathered friends.  

If OBD starts losing to USC like we did in the seventies, are you still going to watch the games?

On 6/30/2022 at 10:03 PM, Log Haulin said:

Oregon is a global brand. They have the 7th largest fan base in the nation. They have Nike. Oregon has an "IT" factor that both the B1G and SEC would welcome with open arms. Oregon has top notch leadership in their AD.

Whether the Ducks jump into one of the big 2 or go independent the will thrive. Slide into the B1G or SEC and they get automatic exposure. If they go independent the mountain is much steeper with TV exposure.

Oregon has climbed the mountain before.  That little ol' school in Or'gone with the 2 and 3 star players. Yea... Orygun will be fine.

Haaa,  couldn’t have said it better if I were Al Pacino in “scent of a woman.” I agree Oregon will be fine…….likely better!  Don’t let the door hit you in the ass USC and UCLA!

• Go Ducks! 1

That's why we become the big Duck in the duck pond. We would be like N Dakota St. They win division 2 championship a lot of the time. Their fans love them. They play sold out games and even produce pros.  The rest of the West and Midwest would be a big enough pond. Heck we could even challenge the 2 minor leagues champions to a true national championship especially when we have a veteran coached up team. Like when we beat Auburn, ahem, lost 2 auburn.

I wonder how USC and UCLA fans feel about this, at least the ones who travel to an away game or two or four. Pretty easy to zip up to Cal & Stanford, fairly easy to get to Oregon and Seattle. Not such a quick trip going to the Midwest.

Edited by Annie
  • Thumbs Up 1

“Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the mouth.” Mike Tyson

The PAC just got punched in the mouth and now they need to respond. The way I see it is that Oregon will be part of the solution to keep it viable, or ultimately expedite it’s demise. 

The worst thing that can happen is to start making irrational decisions. However, decisions do need to be made, and I certainly don’t envy the people that need to make those decisions. 

• Thumbs Up 2

On 6/30/2022 at 7:26 PM, Annie said:

I wonder how USC and UCLA fans feel about this, at least the ones who travel to an away game or two or four. Pretty easy to zip up to Cal & Stanford, fairly easy to get to Oregon and Seattle. Not such a quick trip going to the Midwest.

Or New Jersey 

• Thumbs Up 1

At the end of the day, the college football Gods/Goddesses will final a way to get the “big money” teams pooled to maximize TV revenue. Just like the NFL. Where does Oregon football fall in this scenario? Probably somewhere North of the Cleveland Browns.

• Haha 1

On 6/30/2022 at 7:26 PM, Annie said:

Especially when they get their sun loving teeth kicked in. Oh USC will have flash but will they be ready for B10 grind.

Look at teams that jumped ship in the past. Nebraska hasn't lwon b10 title since enrolling out of the SW conference what almost 30 years ago. ATM and Missouri out of the big 12 what 15 yrs ago. No sec title. Now to the present OK and TX to the sec they are projected to be mid level to poor for the foreseeable future. 

The real dudes are in the South and Upper Midwest. There aren't enough of them to go around and they tend to stay close to home.  All their stadiums are 100k seating. FB is a religion and most all play FB. High school stadium's that seat 30 to 50k.

Good riddance USC and UCLA.

Already posted above

Edited by Duck 1972
Already posted above.

On 6/30/2022 at 7:48 PM, Duck 1972 said:

Especially when they get their sun loving teeth kicked in. Oh USC will have flash but will they be ready for B10 grind.

Look at teams that jumped ship in the past. Nebraska hasn't lwon b10 title since enrolling out of the SW conference what almost 30 years ago. ATM and Missouri out of the big 12 what 15 yrs ago. No sec title. Now to the present OK and TX to the sec they are projected to be mid level to poor for the foreseeable future. 

The real dudes are in the South and Upper Midwest. There aren't enough of them to go around and they tend to stay close to home.  All their stadiums are 100k seating. FB is a religion and most all play FB. High school stadium's that seat 30 to 50k.

Good riddance USC and UCLA.

IMO its all about the depth that certain teams have that the west coast teams don't. How many 3 and 4 star players are bench warmers in the west? We out here can get plenty of high quality starters that can rival other starters but the depth?? not so much. And,---with the the Portal and NIL???

Edited by 1Ducker1

On 6/30/2022 at 7:53 PM, 1Ducker1 said:

IMO its all about the depth that certain teams have that the west coast teams don't. How many 3 and 4 star players are bench warmers in the west? We out here can get plenty of high quality starters that can rival other starters but the depth?? not so much

Not in the trenches.

• Applause 1

There is already a recipe for making the playoffs every year .... It's called going undefeated. 

Clemson sits in the ACC which is worse than the PAC in football on the whole, minus Clemson, so if Oregon does opt to stay they can still go to the playoffs. 

Just can't trip. 

The great irony in what I just said is that the LA schools really haven't posted a problem for Oregon in over 10 years. 

That's why we will still be able to recruit California. Maybe not for freshman studs but players that get coached up, persevere, get experience and beat those kids with all their 💰💰💰and get to the playoffs without them and their egos

Edited by Duck 1972
Missing info
  • Thumbs Up 1

My humble take. This has been in the works for some time. Riley gets told that you come to USC you don’t have to go to SEC country, no Jimbo, no Nick. We will scoot you to the Big10. And you get to live in la-la land. In a big crib. UCLA goes for the $$$ and it's relevance for hoops. The Pac12 gets to pound sand.

I can't believe that Oregon was not aware of what was about to come down. The report earlier today that Oregon was not invited to the party I don't buy. National brand, Uncle Phil and a big fan base. What conference would not want a piece of that?

I lament the demise of the Pac12. I grew up with the Pac8, then the Pac 10. I watched my alma mater Cal suffer at the hands of the University of Spoiled C*********s (thank you, Axel) far too many times. But it's a whole new ballgame, sports fans, and Oregon needs to pivot. Recruits will not be enticed by a match up with San Diego State or Arizona.

It's not all about market size. Tuscaloosa isn't exactly Long Beach or Pasadena. It's what the entire weight of the SEC brings to the table. So the LA market has some pull but the Ducks are a gravity sink all to themselves. Oregon likely needs to jettison the Pac12 for greener pastures. The Ducks need to remind everyone that Justin Herbert, Penei Sewell, Marcus Mariota and the Kayvon Thibodeaux have all been birthed here and that Mighty Oregon is the place to thrive. 

• Go Ducks! 1

The World. . . She's a changing.  Change with it or get left behind.  The Pac 12 has not been it's former self, since becoming the Pac-12.  The recent news of USC and Ucla leaving for the Big Ten, should not really, surprise anyone.

Chip has very few chances to get Ucla on track or face a change, if one has not already is being planned.  Jim Mora was the last coach to have (3) 9 wins or more seasons during his 6 years at Ucla.  Terry Donahue was the last coach that had (8) 9 wins or more seasons over his 20 year career.

Riley just got to USC.  He has yet to show he can build a program.  Pete Carroll spent 9 years at USC.  His first year, Pete went 6-6 then (7) straight years of 11 or more wins.  His final year finishing 9-4 before moving on to the NFL.  The coaches following him Kiffin, Sarkisian and Helton never came close to Pete Carroll's record.

All of the California schools have seen their home game attendance dwindling.  The Los Angles schools, especially needed to make a dramatic change.  The conference and the South Division has looked especially weak with Utah having made up some serious ground in competing with both Los Angles schools.  

In my opinion, there are a lot of teams, that are given more credit for "who they used to be" instead of the teams they are now.  Texas and Oklahoma leaving the Big 12 for the SEC.  Now USC and Ucla leaving for the Big Ten.  Change in scenery looking to build their appearances.  

The biggest loss I see from all this is Oregon will not play in those cities.  Prospective talent loses out on the game day experience, TV exposure.  Those have been important recruiting grounds, so valuable to Oregon.  So we better start being proactive rather than reactive.

While the SEC and Big 10 built their brand, television deals and their networks, the PAC 12, led by Larry Scott, did next to nothing.  Additionally, USC felt betrayed by their own conference when the draconian sanctions were levied.  The other conferences would never allow Ohio State, Alabama  et. al. to receive similar outcomes (for infractions that were likely much bigger); that resentment has been seething for a number of years.  A lot of USC folks I know have wanted them to leave for a long time, although they never saw the Big 10 as a possibility.

Interestingly, this keeps USC and UCLA in the Rose Bowl agreement.

We are living in fascinating times.  

Adapt or die. Oregon & Washington to the Big10 in the works.