Charles Fischer

College Football is All About the Money...."I'm Out."

Does that title epitomize your feelings at times?  Mine too, with the portal, NIL, Coaches salaries and now being stabbed in the back by the LA schools. But regardless of these events...I am an Oregon fan for the rest of my life.

I have said before--that even if there were only five of us left...I'd rather have a reasonable, civilized discussion of Our Beloved Ducks in this forum than all the nastiness elsewhere.  And that is also true for where-ever the path for Oregon goes, whether it is with the Pac-12 or another conference.

Since I am keeping the bills paid on both sites, and the writers and I still enjoy writing--these two sites will be here long-term reporting the news with links, passing along the press releases and enjoying the high-brow discussions with this savvy community.

I am here no matter what...

From FishDuck Video.jpg

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Salute 1
  • Great post! 1
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 7

Mr. FishDuck

You just scared the hell out of me. 

Yes the new college football "business" is not good for my soul.

Yes, it does.  They say: “Money is the Root of All Evil”.   Maybe not…..but it’s destroying the PAC-12!  (Just like the LIV tour is threatening to destroy the PGA Tour)

Shocking to me that Neither SC nor UCLA didn’t have more allegiance to the other schools in the league, nor in maintaining the PAC-12……….

On 6/30/2022 at 8:47 PM, Charles Fischer said:

Does that title epitomize your feelings at times?  Mine too, with the portal, NIL, Coaches salaries and now being stabbed in the back by the LA schools. But regardless of these events...I am an Oregon fan for the rest of my life.

I have said before--that even if there were only five of us left...I'd rather have a reasonable, civilized discussion of Our Beloved Ducks in this forum than all the nastiness elsewhere.  And that is also true for where-ever the path for Oregon goes, whether it is with the Pac-12 or another conference.

Since I am keeping the bills paid on both sites, and the writers and I still enjoy writing--these two sites will be here long-term reporting the news with links, passing along the press releases and enjoying the high-brow discussions with this savvy community.

I am here no matter what...

From FishDuck Video.jpg

I’ve heard reports that it’s a done deal.  What is next for the PAC-12 and Oregon specifically?  Is it a done deal?  If so I’m certainly disheartened by it.  

Edited by SoGaDawg

USC and UCLA has been garbage on the gridiron for years. They sucker punched the rest of the pack. The arrogance is astonishing.  They will both be a lower tear B10 team. Ducks will always be my 1A. Now I have a 1B,C,D,E,F,G,H,I,J,K,L,M,N,O and P.  Wierd how they are all in the BIG

The train has left the station

On 6/30/2022 at 9:05 PM, Duck 1972 said:

I don’t like it.  I don’t like it one bit!

• Thumbs Up 2

usc-ohio-state.jpg
FOOTBALLSCOOP.COM

Attempting to think our way through a California earthquake that leaves the Pac-12 in ruins and changes just about...

On 6/30/2022 at 6:10 PM, SoGaDawg said:

I don’t like it.  I don’t like it one bit!

I know one thing for sure. For the next 2 years, USC and UCLA are going to get cracked in the mouth. Play after play, week after week, teams are going to be head hunting. Every team in the Pac-12 has circled these games on the calendar for the next 24 months.

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 6/30/2022 at 9:23 PM, Log Haulin said:

I know one thing for sure. For the next 2 years, USC and UCLA are going to get cracked in the mouth. Play after play, week after week, teams are going to be head hunting. Every team in the Pac-12 has circled these games on the calendar for the next 24 months.

Absolutely, and I pray that You Oregon Ducks put it on them every chance you get!

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

On 6/30/2022 at 6:35 PM, SoGaDawg said:

Absolutely, and I pray that You Oregon Ducks put it on them every chance you get!

Oct 22nd, Chip Kelly will wish he has resigned instead of participating in the destruction of Pac-12 athletics. Hope he gets the beating of his life on the field. 

• Applause 1

I'm still in.  

College football will always be great in my mind.  

It's been a huge money making industry for decades.  We just didn't want to see the ugly side of it.  But it's been there all along.

I believe the clamour to settle the national title on the field ( instead of by opinion) changed the nature of the game.  Tradition wasn't going to settle the issue, and that meant change was inevitable. 

I also believe the SEC took USC down for practices they routinely institutionalized.  NIL is the aftermath, because students saw it as well- hence the lawsuits started soon after.

Football is a multi billion dollar business.  

It is a way of life for a sizable portion of the country.  

It isn't out here in the West.  Except for USC.  

We can lament traditions were losing, but the ugly part of those traditions were always swept under the rug.  

Now we see college football the way it's been for the better part of fifty years. The only difference is the tens of billions of dollars at stake now.  

Thousands of people dedicate their life to this sport.  It's an industry.  It's a profession.  Has been for at least thirty years.  I believe we just didn't want to see it that way.

I believe the genius level leaders in the sport will find a way to preserve the nostalgia that makes college football so dear to many of it's fans.  

We have to face reality though.  People make a living in the sport.  They don't work for free.  Will college football resemble the NFL.  I'm guessing no.  

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Great post! 2

I feel lousy about this. I bet this will negatively impact our recruiting from this day forward. Expect decommitments.

• Thumbs Up 1

Yeah that means some 4 stars but mostly 3's like we used to have. We can coach them up, they become experienced, stay longer and then we kick a** just like we did before MC. It won't be every year but that's the beauty of amateur CFB. 

I'm wondering what DL and his staff are thinking. I believe he wouldn't want to necessarily be in a super conference where money rather than process is more important.

To be a teacher and leader of boys to men through hard work and fun. But he's also a very driven competitive man. Those types like to be in the thick of it with top talent which allows you to compete for titles.

I am still trying to get my head around the news from LA today. Like SoGaDawg, I do not like this turn of events for  many reasons, most of them already mentioned by others on this forum and the Talkn 

Dawgs site. Like FishDuck, I love this game but fear that it could become unrecognizable. 

On the Dawgs site, the speculators have already reconfigured the old power 5 conferences in ways I would never have imagined. Maybe something good will  come out of it --my best guess is that it will hasten the  development of expanded playoffs. One thing seems certain to me: we will be  feeling our way along and hoping for the best over the next several seasons.

• Great post! 1

Kliavkoff blind sided?

• Yikes! 1
  • Wow 1

As a TECH fan I understand how you feel. We can all thank ESPN for destroying college sports. 

• Thumbs Up 3

“Money is the Root of All Evil

The Word actually says: "The love of money is the root of all evil..."

I certainly appreciate what you are saying. However, the difference between appreciating and respecting money, is a world apart from loving and worshipping it -- and turning it into "My Precious". Loving money twists and distorts and has turned countless people and institutions into a Gollum. Perhaps not always apparent on the outside, but certainly in their hearts.

College football is no different and neither is their love of money. But the difference I see today is that CFB has completely come out of the shadows and is no longer attempting to hide this fact. In fact, I would suggest that they have now overtly embraced this fact.

While I don't like what I see, in some ways, I respect the fact that CFB is no longer attempting to couch or conceal it. Understanding this makes predicting CFB behavior almost easy. It makes the stealth decision by USC & UCLA to effectively destroy a 100+ year institution a lot less surprising – and in light of loving the Precious, even understandable. I would argue that CFB's love of the Precious is simply tracking right along with the twilight of our traditional societal values and mores.

So, where does this all leave Oregon? Well, Oregon will probably end up in a decent-to-good position in the new world order of CFB. But for about half of our conference, including our relatives one hour to the north, at this point it looks rather bleak.

• Great post! 1

On 6/30/2022 at 6:05 PM, Duck 1972 said:

Yes it has. But frankly, it left some time ago. But today, we are finally seeing the repercussions really start to take place.

• Thumbs Up 1

So saddened today to realize--ONCE AGAIN--that greed has won out over loyalty and honor. I'm now assuming the Ducks and Huskies (wonderful to have such a fabulous bedfellow, eh?) will be the next to bolt to "greener pastures." 

I guess we won't have to worry about re-naming the Civil War Game for "rivalry week."  Maybe we can play the Beavers in a non-conference game during week 1 or 2. Fun, eh?

• Thumbs Up 1

On 6/30/2022 at 6:57 PM, Mike West said:

It's been a huge money making industry for decades.  We just didn't want to see the ugly side of it.  But it's been there all along.

I believe the clamour to settle the national title on the field ( instead of by opinion) changed the nature of the game.  Tradition wasn't going to settle the issue, and that meant change was inevitable. 

Good, dispassionate analysis Mike.  I to think we all need to - at last - come to terms with these realities, and still know we’ll always love our Ducks and the game(s) they play, regardless of what the future brings.

As you point out, the big business $$ part of CFB has always resided mainly east (and slightly west) of the Mississippi. That’s to be expected since that’s where the vast majority of major universities are, and the origins of our sport reside.mm

But, despite all that eastern power,  the one thing that they didn’t own - couldn’t buy - was the image residing at the pinnacle of our sport: the double edged sword of the mythical, voted-on national title, and the one game the entire nation looked to to represent the best our sport had to offer - The Rose Bowl.  It drove them crazy. It made the east feel slighted and disrespected. Envy and discontent simmered just below the surface. Desire and greed are ugly task masters. Just ask Saudi Arabia and pro golfers.

And, the rest is history. The eastern, media-driven frenzy for a ‘real’ national champion coupled with the advent of cable tv opened the door to whorehouse operations like ESPN to gobble-up that desire and turn it into stock options leading to the BCS and what came after that knocked the Rose Bowl from its perch and allowed $$ to be the only determinate in the bowl-go-round. But, as you point out, it had always been there.

Regionalism is real. Its what you identify with. It’s what drove the east to where things are right now. The west is a region without at present a sports identity we can all gather around. But it’s still our region and our identity. The thing about money is it follows desire. Only time will tell what our eventual fate will be.

Edited by Washington Waddler
spelling & grammar
  • Go Ducks! 1

This morning or last night while dreaming a thought came to me

Maybe we are overreacting.

We had conferences the PAC, B12, etc where only 2 to 3 schools had the resources and desire to compete at the highest levels of college sports. The rest of the teams had very little chance of winning and were hurting the others chances. 

As with everything as time goes on we specialize more and more. That's all this is. Change is inevitable no matter how much we don't like it or want it. 

I don't see this is all about the money and how bad that is. The reality is, money is how we function always been that way and always will be for both the good and the seemingly bad. only time will tell.

It's over, as has been reported over the last few months the Super Conferences will be the only survivors.  Big 10 will not at this time take any other members.  Oregon and Washington's programs will have slipped so much in the next few years that they will not be attractive additions to a Super Conference.  After next season watch our coaching staff disintegrate.  This will happen to our recruiting class for next season.

The tragedy of all this is that as time goes by less and less schools will play football, revenue will drop dramatically, womens sports and olympic sports will suffer badly.  I can go on and on with more negative stuff, but what's the purpose.  GREED

Yep.

But as long as Oregon has sports teams--I will be a fan and have these sites up for those who want to take part. Even if we are in the Mountain West with half the sports we have now.

My loyalty runs deep...

Fans4_Pac12 Video.jpg

• Thumbs Up 3

Mr. FishDuck