1Funduck

That's It!! Join the SEC!

Since logistics isn't part of the equation anymore, let's go to the SEC. Yup, The SEC would salivate at having Oregon in their West Division. You grab the pacific time zone. Can you imagine an Oregon Auburn/Alabama/Florida game every year? The money is there and so is the exposure. 

• Great post! 1

I wonder how that would work, as SEC schools seem reluctant to cross the Rockies.

• Thumbs Up 1

No thank you.

Mr. FishDuck

On 7/1/2022 at 8:20 AM, Annie said:

I wonder how that would work, as SEC schools seem reluctant to cross the Rockies.

This is true, ...so far. But, its looking more and more like there will be geographical divisions for all said conferences. They need 6 teams to become 20. Washington, Oregon, Stanford(possibly), Cal(possibly). 

Oregon fits better in the B1G. But, money is King right now. Being a top quality school pales in comparison to football. 

• Thumbs Up 1

On 7/1/2022 at 8:40 AM, Charles Fischer said:

No thank you.

Well, since remaining in the PAC was our first choice, its becoming more and more clear that money is the sole driver here. Alabama/Oregon would be a Monster revenue builder.

Edited by 1Funduck

I'd love to see the Ducks in the SEC. Warmer weather and great competition. 

SEC opened a can with grabbing Okie and aTm. That set the B1G in motion to dominate college Football. Looks Like Fox and the B1G are set on beating ESPN and the SEC. My money is on the B1G but we will see. End of the day, Oregon is going to thrive in this new landscape

• Thumbs Up 1

Oregon is going to be a big draw tv wise no matter what conference they go to.  The teams back east either north or south never get to see how their team stacks up against a good west coast team like Oregon and that will be a big draw to Ducks fans and Big 10 or SEC fans.  They want to see that product.  

We just have to live up to our end of the bargain and beat them when we play them (maybe not all the time but more than 50% of the time) and that will generate even more interest.  

• Thumbs Up 1

On 7/1/2022 at 9:36 AM, Quackerbacker said:

Oregon is going to be a big draw tv wise no matter what conference they go to.  The teams back east either north or south never get to see how their team stacks up against a good west coast team like Oregon and that will be a big draw to Ducks fans and Big 10 or SEC fans.  They want to see that product.  

We just have to live up to our end of the bargain and beat them when we play them (maybe not all the time but more than 50% of the time) and that will generate even more interest.  

Oregon v. Michigan: 39-7 all time 2W 3L

Oregon  v. Mich St: 7-6  all time 4W 3L

Oregon v. tOSU: 35-28 1W 9L

Oregon v. Wis:  28-27.  3W 3L

Oregon v. Neb. 42-35   2W 6L

Last time Oregon played these teams Oregon won. Oregon has done well against the B1G over the past 2 decades. Oregon can compete against anyone in the country.  On the gridiron, in marketing and now on the recruiting trail. Go Ducks!

On 7/1/2022 at 10:00 AM, Log Haulin said:

Last time Oregon played these teams Oregon won. Oregon has done well against the B1G over the past 2 decades. Oregon can compete against anyone in the country.  On the gridiron, in marketing and now on the recruiting trail. Go Ducks!

Oregons ability to compete is not in question. I believe they jump to top 4 pretty quick. Whether that be The Big 10/11/12/16/20 or the SEC

I think Oregon could adapt to the SEC but I don't think it would mesh well culturally between all the powers at be. 

The B1G and the PAC have a whole lot more in common and that would make a transition smoother in both the short and long run. 

The BIG has gutted the PAC12. They grabbed the largest TV market from the PAC 12 and will use that to enhance their conference. Ouch.

I think in the long run it does make sense to have more than two Universities on the west coast in an expanded conference.

From a financial standpoint, the BIG does not need to make any other additions at the moment. They are in the drivers seat and have the ability to watch what happens within the SEC, PAC, ACC, and BIG12.

Ulitimately, they probably have the ability to “cherry pick” teams they want if they choose to move towards more of a “super conference”.

However, do they want to dilute what they already have in place? 

Sad to see long time rivalries with others in the PAC 12 end this way. 

• Thumbs Up 1

On 7/1/2022 at 10:21 AM, David Marsh said:

I think Oregon could adapt to the SEC but I don't think it would mesh well culturally between all the powers at be. 

The B1G and the PAC have a whole lot more in common and that would make a transition smoother in both the short and long run. 

I have been a strong supporter of cultural bindings. However, it just doesn't matter anymore. There can be a semblance of cultural leanings with the BIG but the Mega conferences have 'chosen' to not look at that metric as the primary mitigating factor. $100 million buys a lot of blue chip universities no matter the academics. 

I feel everyone's pain as I have it as well. But, we can no longer accept all the aligning factors that have kept the PAC cohesive. Academics mean nearly $0, at least from a conference alignment perspective.

On 7/1/2022 at 10:46 AM, 1Funduck said:

However, it just doesn't matter anymore. There can be a semblance of cultural leanings with the BIG but the Mega conferences have 'chosen' to not look at that metric as the primary mitigating factor. $100 million buys a lot of blue chip universities no matter the academics. 

True but I feel if there is a choice, and right now it appears there will probably be a choice, that would and probably should tilt it for Oregon being more in favor of joining the B1G rather than the SEC. 

If it's SEC or nothing then there isn't much choice there and that's what it will have to be. Granted I think I'd vomit a little every time I see the SEC logo on anything related to Oregon. 

I wouldn't be thrilled about a B1G logo on Oregon stuff either but it would be more palpable. 

Granted... I'm not consulted in any of these decisions as it is. 

You know that Rob Mullen is on the phone with both. He has to be. Because the moves are about money, he's selling the Oregon brand to the highest bidder. Mullen is very good at his job. Regardless of whether Oregon goes to the SEC or the B1G, it will be to the highest bidder and rivalries, sentiments, and geography will not factor into the decision.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 7/1/2022 at 10:23 AM, Drake said:

However, do they want to dilute what they already have in place? 

That, to me is the question.  And the answer will determine if we climb or fade in being relevant.

Mr. FishDuck

On 7/1/2022 at 9:16 AM, Log Haulin said:

SEC opened a can with grabbing Okie and aTm. That set the B1G in motion to dominate college Football. Looks Like Fox and the B1G are set on beating ESPN and the SEC. My money is on the B1G but we will see. End of the day, Oregon is going to thrive in this new landscape

How do you figure, unless we too join the B1G? Not playing in a major recruiting zone like southern CA cannot be a good thing?

The BIG essentially said "no thanks" at the moment to the UW / UO package.  That is NOT a good sign for Oregon.  The SEC and BIG know that Oregon, Washington, Utah and Stanford have little to no power right now.  They can just sit back and wait for the conference to dissolve and see if they can pick up whomever stays on top for cents on the dollar (reduced percentage of revenue sharing) or just let the other schools drop off after they get raked over the recruiting coals.  I have a really bad feeling all of a sudden that Oregon is in BIG BIG trouble.

How different could this have been if we just found a way to close the deal with Texas, OU, and Oklahoma State last time around?

UGH!      

• Thumbs Up 1

Oregon is not in big trouble.  Notre Dame is the biggest jewel out there but the next biggest is Oregon.  We will bring in revenue to the Big 10 or whichever conference we end up in unlike some others that could be added.  

The Big 10 would be the best fit for us but we could adjust to life in the SEC if we had to (I think I just threw up in my mouth a little bit).

A revamped PAC-12 which would include the Big12 is really a no go option as that will limit the payout to each team to probably 1/2 of what the Big 10 is getting.  That is not going to get us top recruits or get us to the National Championship.  If you are looking for just a nice football game on a Saturday afternoon then ok it's fine.  But that is not what most of us want.  We want to compete for the National Championship and in order to do that we need to be a part of a conference where the payout is top $$.  

Join the Big10.  Speaking as a Buckeye fan, we would love to have Oregon join.  It would be great if Oregon, Washington, Stanford at least join USC and UCLA to strengthen the West Division.  If Notre Dame would jump on as well, that would be a hell of a rival to the SEC.

East  - Ohio State, Michigan, Penn State, Notre Dame, Michigan State, Indiana, Northwestern, Purdue, Maryland, Rutgers

West - Oregon, Washington, Stanford, Southern Cal, UCLA, Nebraska, Wisconsin, Iowa, Minnesota, Illinois

Edited by mad4527
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 1

On 7/1/2022 at 11:34 AM, Charles Fischer said:

That, to me is the question.  And the answer will determine if we climb or fade in being relevant.

I would be pretty shocked if Oregon was viewed as dilutive on its own or w/UW

Clearly B1G is waiting on ND’s decision before adding more.  Wonder if SEC is doing same. 

Be curious if SEC even wants a west coast footprint or are happy being as far west as Texas and OK.  If they are happy to stay there then Oregon’s bargaining power drops quite a bit.  

The question is really: what do these guys see as the final total and are they willing to eject existing members?

So, if the number is 20 and you are the B1G you have four slots to go unless you jettison a school or two.  You want ND so really that leaves 3 slots you can attack until ND makes their decision known.  

Would you rather wait to see if some of the jewels in the ACC come loose sooner than later?  

If not the Oregon gets the call.  

Or you assume 24 is the final number and go to 20 now knowing the inevitable dissolution of the ACC will bring 4 more in which case you give SC and UCLA some geographical support.  

That same thought exercise with the SEC might have them waiting in the wings to get 4 ACC schools and then staying at 20 for as long as possible which means they would NOT look west because they want to keep those slots open.  

IOW, it’s a mess.  

Edited by CalBear95

Let’s hope B1G saying no (right now) to the UO/UW package deal,  is that they don’t want the package if ND says yes.  That UO is who they would take to pair with ND.

On 7/1/2022 at 1:11 PM, mad4527 said:

Join the Big10.  Speaking as a Buckeye fan, we would love to have Oregon join.  It would be great if Oregon, Washington, Stanford at least join USC and UCLA to strengthen the West Division.  If Notre Dame would jump on as well, that would be a hell of a rival to the SEC.

East  - Ohio State, Michigan, Penn State, Notre Dame, Michigan State, Indiana, Northwestern, Purdue, Maryland, Rutgers

West - Oregon, Washington, Stanford, Southern Cal, UCLA, Nebraska, Wisconsin, Iowa, Minnesota, Illinois

I really like this, although I would prefer eight conference games in my division as the SEC does!  And great to see you Buckeye, as reasonable fans of all schools are welcome here.

Mr. FishDuck

That isn’t what will happen.  They need ND to make a call so they know if they are inviting 3 or 4 from the PAC.  They (rightly) assume neither Oregon or UW is going to panic jump to the Big XII.  

If they take Oregon and Washington now that sets off a domino that dissolves the conference and leaves them either w/out Bay Area presence because Cal and/or Furd will possibly have acted.  

They probably feel comfortable knowing the SEC is also waiting on ND so there is no risk of the SEC swooping in to snag any schools (should they want to) that would disrupt the B1G’s next move. 

TL;DR the B1G feels relatively comfortable that Oregon and UW are safely in place until the ND domino falls.  They have no pressure to act before then which means we may be hanging fire for some time

• Thumbs Up 1

On 7/1/2022 at 12:05 PM, DanLduck said:

How do you figure, unless we too join the B1G? Not playing in a major recruiting zone like southern CA cannot be a good thing?

Oregon could end up in the B1G, SEC or independent. Ducks are a solid brand with a ton of fans and interest globally. I am not a pessimist, I believe the Ducks are a huge value to Any conference. They will be in a position to compete with the best for years to come.

What a great opportunity to better your position. Duck fans have complained about Pac being weak and getting no respect for years now. Seems like some don't believe in OBD or that OBD is capable of positioning themselves to thrive for years to come. I am not one of those people.

Oregon went from a nobody with a bunch 2* guys to an international brand competing with the best for recruits and playing in championship games. Oregon athletics is respected across the board from golf to football.

So yea... I figure Oregon will thrive in this environment. They are winners. I relate to those that started in the gutter and climbed to the top of the mountain. Neither I or the Ducks have made it to the top...YET! Mark my words, I will plant my flag at the top before its over,  so will Our Beloved Ducks!

• Applause 2
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 1

On 7/1/2022 at 1:11 PM, mad4527 said:

Join the Big10…West - Oregon, Washington, Stanford, Southern Cal, UCLA, Nebraska, Wisconsin, Iowa, Minnesota, Illinois

Stanford seems a logical choice over Cal but I wonder (hope?) the latter get the nod given its relationship to UCLA.  Or maybe they find a way to snag both.  IDK

Exactly CalBear95!  Totally agree.  The big jewel is Notre Dame so they are focused there first.  Once that is secured that allows them to bring in Oregon and Washington and one other or if no Notre Dame 4 others but I think the magic number is 20 total.   

Those teams from the Pac-12 will be probably be a package.  Big10 probably already knows which teams it will bring in under each scenario but needs the Notre Dame decision before moving on any other team.

Joining sec would be nice.I dont see them really needing the ducks. I think a expansion of the ACC would be a better option. We would have better bargaining power. They could use exposure in the west with better teams. It would give us better access to the hot bed of recruiting in florida and the southeast.

And think we could be playing Miami.   That could alone be a new rivalry.  Acc could grab mabye 4 former pac12 teams, and gain a foothold in the west allowing a better media market in the west.

Well you would be assured of getting that Oregon vs Alabama matchup everybody wanted in the 2010's. 

I am probably one of the few people that would prefer to join the SEC.  If we are going to be on 4-5 hour plane flights anyways, let’s just go the extra distance and play in the best conference in states with better weather,  bigger parties, and more hospitality. 

I know it is a pipe dream though. 

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 7/2/2022 at 6:39 AM, GeotechDuck said:

I am probably one of the few people that would prefer to join the SEC.  If we are going to be on 4-5 hour plane flights anyways, let’s just go the extra distance and play in the best conference in states with better weather,  bigger parties, and more hospitality. 

I know it is a pipe dream though. 

Agree, grab Oregon and Washington out of the Pac and Clemson and either FSU or Miami out of the ACC. That would round it out to 20.

Create 4 divisions of 5. That would make 4 divisional games plus 4 from out of division. Three OCC games. That brings you to 11.

Play a division winner playoff for conference championship game. Let the CFP decide the national playoff. That puts you at 15 games played for the championship game representative. 

Bowl season is probably done. A conference playoff could salvage that partially and fill out December.

Plus that would stick it to USC in recruiting. If Oregon remains in Pac or joins Big12, USC will own the west coast in recruiting. If Oregon and Wash join SEC the scenario flips. 

But what do I know, I was on the Lane Train.

Edited by Log Haulin

I think the most likely scenario is Oregon ends up in the Big12. Obviously this isn't as good as the SEC or BIG but it's honestly a better position than the PAC has been for the last decade. At the football will be fun and competative.

Sadly the closest we will get to joining the SEC is having an ex SEC assistant coach as a head coach.

Bama at Autzen? In my dreams. 

On 7/2/2022 at 4:16 AM, GatOrlando said:

Well you would be assured of getting that Oregon vs Alabama matchup everybody wanted in the 2010's. 

Bama isn't the Champs. We want Georgia and we get them. After Ducks beat Georgia the SEC can spit excuses just like the talking heads did last year after UO slapped around Buckey in the Shoe. 

• Thumbs Up 1

On 7/2/2022 at 8:10 AM, Log Haulin said:

Bama isn't the Champs. We want Georgia and we get them. After Ducks beat Georgia the SEC can spit excuses just like the talking heads did last year after UO slapped around Buckey in the Shoe. 

I like the swagger. I hope you do it. But even though I am a fan of an SEC team, I don't buy into this we are the SEC crap. If you beat Georgia it isn't a black eye for Florida. Just like if we beat Utah it isn't a black eye for you. As far as beating Ohio State, that was impressive. Unfortunately it seems like you guys didn't reach that level again last year. I don't buy that Utah overmatched you, as Ohio State is bigger, and faster then them. Maybe it was the play style, but you smashed Ohio State with your physicality. 

its all over now we are not joining the SEC.

On 7/1/2022 at 10:46 AM, 1Funduck said:

Alabama/Oregon would be a Monster revenue builder.

I believe that what fuels this idea is the fact that Oregon hasn't played Alabama.  If Oregon played them and got smoked a few times, I'm not sure how that would stand up. 

• Thumbs Up 2

On 7/2/2022 at 9:09 AM, GatOrlando said:

I like the swagger. I hope you do it. But even though I am a fan of an SEC team, I don't buy into this we are the SEC crap. If you beat Georgia it isn't a black eye for Florida. Just like if we beat Utah it isn't a black eye for you. As far as beating Ohio State, that was impressive. Unfortunately it seems like you guys didn't reach that level again last year. I don't buy that Utah overmatched you, as Ohio State is bigger, and faster then them. Maybe it was the play style, but you smashed Ohio State with your physicality. 

I believe coach quit on this team long before Ducks showed up in Salt Lake. He had full knowledge of the Miami opportunities. Throw in injury bug and Ducks didn't stand a chance. 

On 7/2/2022 at 3:09 PM, Log Haulin said:

I believe coach quit on this team long before Ducks showed up in Salt Lake. He had full knowledge of the Miami opportunities. Throw in injury bug and Ducks didn't stand a chance. 

You think there may have been tampering in season, or it was just an informal verbal agreement that the job was his at the end of the year? That's twice now that a coach has up , and left you guys. I wouldn't trust a coach with ties to Miami, or Florida State in the future. 

On 7/2/2022 at 3:53 PM, GatOrlando said:

You think there may have been tampering in season, or it was just an informal verbal agreement that the job was his at the end of the year? That's twice now that a coach has up , and left you guys. I wouldn't trust a coach with ties to Miami, or Florida State in the future. 

Mariø went so visit his sick mother in Miami about the same time. I suspect he had a visit with his brother in law in the hospital Chappell where they had a "come to Jesus" moment. 

Fans booing at Autzen didn't help matters. We know how he felt and to me, rightly. There are repercussions to all actions whether the action was thought to be good or not by all involved.

On 7/2/2022 at 4:11 PM, Duck 1972 said:

Fans booing at Autzen didn't help matters. We know how he felt and to me, rightly. There are repercussions to all actions whether the action was thought to be good or not by all involved.

Mariø performs at the U at the level he performed at Oregon? He will get ran out of town. 

I know I would have wanted out. No matter how much you don't like him he's still human and has feelings.

On 7/2/2022 at 11:10 AM, Log Haulin said:

Yes sir you do get us!  I’m very excited about this game also. I think it’s great to start the season against a very good team.  

Sure, if Oregon wins, you’ll hear many excuses especially from SEC talking heads, and from GA fans on other forums.  You won’t hear them from myself, and I seriously doubt (from the posts I’ve read) from any of the other GA fans that are members of this forum.  

Yes, if Oregon wins I’ll be highly disappointed.  But man, I’ve been a GA fan long enough to be familiar with major disappointment.  Just in recent years: last year Bama whipped our butts in the SEC Championship, and the year before UF (huge rival) whipped us in Jacksonville.  I hated it, especially the UF game.  I wish I had a good excuse for the game against the Gators but I don’t.  Their offense was hard to handle and they beat us by 16 points I think.  Hard to call that a fluke.   

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again.  Aside from last years Playoff games, you guys going into the horseshoe and beating tOSU was one of the most enjoyable games of the season for me.  I’m not so confident to think you guys can’t possibly do it against us Dawgs. I expect a very good ballgame.  

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

On 7/2/2022 at 4:53 PM, Duck 1972 said:

I know I would have wanted out. No matter how much you don't like him he's still human and has feelings.

So do we when he lied about continuing the offense that made Oregon known because "it’s a brand of football they love to see and support."

I was at that press conference and stayed afterward 15 minutes after everyone left and he spoke to me privately about the Oregon offense, and what to expect.  

The feelings you think he had? They should have been shame, for his management decisions, and how he deceived the Duck faithful.  He deserved the boos...

• Applause 1

Mr. FishDuck

On 7/1/2022 at 1:16 PM, CalBear95 said:

I would be pretty shocked if Oregon was viewed as dilutive on its own or w/UW

Clearly B1G is waiting on ND’s decision before adding more.  Wonder if SEC is doing same. 

Be curious if SEC even wants a west coast footprint or are happy being as far west as Texas and OK.  If they are happy to stay there then Oregon’s bargaining power drops quite a bit.  

The question is really: what do these guys see as the final total and are they willing to eject existing members?

So, if the number is 20 and you are the B1G you have four slots to go unless you jettison a school or two.  You want ND so really that leaves 3 slots you can attack until ND makes their decision known.  

Would you rather wait to see if some of the jewels in the ACC come loose sooner than later?  

If not the Oregon gets the call.  

Or you assume 24 is the final number and go to 20 now knowing the inevitable dissolution of the ACC will bring 4 more in which case you give SC and UCLA some geographical support.  

That same thought exercise with the SEC might have them waiting in the wings to get 4 ACC schools and then staying at 20 for as long as possible which means they would NOT look west because they want to keep those slots open.  

IOW, it’s a mess.  

Clemson, Florida St., Miami, and the Sisters of the Poor would make most sense for the SEC...geographically, culturally, and financially.  To me the most likely result of this money caldron is Ducks, ND, uw, and Stanford being added to the BLotsG.  As I mentioned elsewhere, ND has scheduled U$C and Stanford through at least 2025 (U$C).  So Stanford also makes a lot of sense for the BMillionG.  It would then sew up major media, geographic and large alumni areas on the West Coast...and get the largest, most fanatic (and nutty) alumni following in the nation, Notre Dame.

On 7/2/2022 at 4:16 AM, GatOrlando said:

Be careful what you wish for?  I would have felt much more comfortable facing Nick Saban's Alabama with Chip Kelly's innovative offense.  Not so much now. 

Hopefully Dan Lanning will get Oregon's defense rolling and the team ready to compete again with the Alabama's of the world!