Charles Fischer

Should the Pac-12 Merge with the Big-12 for a Third Super-Conference?

This is an idea that Canzano floated that might be the only way to survive if the B1G rejects Oregon. But the revenue split up so many ways--seems like a big decline to me.  Get into the B1G or fade into irrelevance? 

He also noted that the Pac-12 is working hard to keep Oregon and Washington...

Mr. FishDuck

There isn't enough meat on the bone to sell that in media negotiations.

It would be two super conferences serving up steak and lobster and one large conference serving up corn and potatoes.

• Yikes! 1

These were my thoughts also.  PAC-12, ACC, and Big12 are all extremely motivated to survive right now and the Oregon/Washington combo may be the biggest chess piece on the board.  ANYTHING is possible right now and those 3 conferences are in the fight of their lives.  What was impossible yesterday is possible today.

If nothing will fix losing LA schools, the best I can hope for as a sports fan is possibly a merger and hopefully four power conferences remaining.

Oregon football and basketball are too good  to be excluded from a superconference and, much as you hate me to say it, the same is true (well maybe not for basketball) of the Washington Huskies. The question  is how to configure such a conference (i.e, who constitutes it)?  How's that for a thought question?

Down with superconferences! 🙂

Yep. It feels for Oregon that Plan A is go for Big10, Plan B a mega merger with key Big12 and PAC, maybe some ACC.

Worst case if those fall thru  and we are left out of the big boy table, will be as the big fish in the small remaining pond, with a need to run the table to get into playoffs. 

I think once Notre Dame makes a decision more dominos will fall. The Irish capitulate and join the Big10. Then Oregon, Stanford and Washington join. Stanford joining allows ND to maintain that series as well as adding the bay area market and Oregon Washington seals off the rest of the West Coast for the Big10.  SEC then makes a move for Clemson, Miami, Florida State & North Carolina.  I don't think the Big10 will give ND more money than the rest but they will allow them to maintain the Michigan, USC & Stanford series annually to appease them for giving up independence. joining makes them a helluva lot more money than the NBC deal.

Edited by Flaps2
  • Thumbs Up 1

#1 SEC

#2 Big10

#3 Raid the B12

Only way I see the Pac12 hold onto Oregon/UW is to hold onto all the other teams plus pull in the Big12 to form a 3rd "super conference" (albeit the weakest of the 3 that would result).  Then they can be the "Clemson" of the Pac12/Big12 conference.  However unless some kind of miracle happens I think the window has passed for that.

As much as I am sick about this whole disaster going on, Oregon needs to do what's best for Oregon.  Hoping the powers there be at Oregon along with Mr. Knight makes the correct path to take.

I think if Oregon gets an invite to join the BIG 10, take it.  Not sure if the PAC 12 really has anything to offer Oregon to stay put.  At this moment it seems trying ink out a new media deal will not be there.

Edited by NJDuck

Pac-12 with only the Big-12 still leaves us in mid-major territory.  IMO it would need to include the top teams from the PAC, Big-12, and ACC to stay relevant.  

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 1

Said one long-time UO administrator: “It’s not what Phil Knight had in mind 20 years ago — to end up in the minor leagues.”

Most relevant quote I have seen!