1Funduck

Clearly in Left Field...The PAC Retains All Schools

So, let's get creative with some absurd ideas. What happens now that the PAC is about to get Whacked? There is an outlier here. ESPN. Hear me out.

USC and UCLA are wanting to bolt for more cash. Basically $100 million of it. But, what happens if ESPN, which needs a West Coast market, comes a calling with a monster deal? Grab the likes of Baylor, Oklahoma State and 2 other Texas schools, and get your Monster contract. Can we get $80-$100 million per school if we get the Texas market added? Does OSU, and the like, take a bit of a financial hit due to logistical obscurity? Is this even possible? 

Ramblings of a discombobulated Duck....

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

I like your creative thinking, 1Funduck. You make a good point that ESPN needs a West Coast market.

I think creative thinking is what will save the PAC 10-12 or whatever, if it's to be saved. It's not time to give up yet, and giving in to three big conferences just yet is giving in. My opine. 🙂

my vote: Oklahoma St, Baylor, TECH and Kansas(Basketball) and KC market. 

But I am a TECH Fan. 

The Big-10 has played their hand.  They said they are waiting on a decision on Notre Dame to determine if they are going to expand further.  it is really easy to read between the lines here.  

Translation - We really want ND and don’t want an odd number of schools.  

If ND says no, they stay at 16. 
if ND says yes, they need one more team. Likely candidates are Oregon, UW, Stanford, or UNC. 

Oregon and UW expressed interest as a package and BIG essentially said no thanks.  If they wanted to get to 20, that would have been an easy yes. 

I think our hope is that we are No 2 on the board after ND and ND says yes.  Not to sure that either one of those are correct.  

The only other option to stay relevant is a merger between the ACC, Big-12, and PAC-12, taking the largest schools with the best TV markets:

Something like FSU, UNC, Miami, Clemson, Oregon, Washington, Stanford, Utah, Texas Tech, Okie State, Houston, Cinci….

Edited by GeotechDuck

I don't see Oregon going anywhere by themselves. 

• Applause 1

On 7/1/2022 at 12:12 PM, GeotechDuck said:

Oregon and UW expressed interest as a package and BIG essentially said no thanks.  If they wanted to get to 20, that would have been an easy yes. 

I think our hope is that we are No 2 on the board after ND and ND says yes.  Not to sure that either one of those are correct.

The B1G didn't really say no thanks but more like... Wait a minute and we'll see. 

Adding Oregon and Washington may be their desired outcome but until Notre Dame makes their decision the B1G doesn't want to make too many moves. 

If Notre Dame says yes I think they add Oregon and Washington right away and probably pick Stanford. 

As Stanford and Notre Dame play yearly right now as well. It's probably also the best single team that is located in the bay area in terms of market share. 

Cal is pretty uninteresting in that regard. 

• Thumbs Up 1

On 7/1/2022 at 12:31 PM, David Marsh said:

The B1G didn't really say no thanks but more like... Wait a minute and we'll see. 

Adding Oregon and Washington may be their desired outcome but until Notre Dame makes their decision the B1G doesn't want to make too many moves. 

If Notre Dame says yes I think they add Oregon and Washington right away and probably pick Stanford. 

As Stanford and Notre Dame play yearly right now as well. It's probably also the best single team that is located in the bay area in terms of market share. 

Cal is pretty uninteresting in that regard. 

Or the scary version....they take ND and then pick up Stanford and say 18 is good.  

• Oh no! 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

ND is the big fish because they will bring a lot of revenue. 

ND has an agreement with the ACC. Based on ND playing a partial ACC schedule there is a clause that if ND joins a conference it has to be the ACC.

So, the lawyers are going to have to justify why ND can break that agreement. 

It's also my understanding that any ACC school who leaves the ACC before 2035 has to pay a $50 million fee. 

Edited by DazeNconfused

On 7/1/2022 at 12:35 PM, DazeNconfused said:

ND is the big fish because they will bring a lot of revenue. 

ND has an agreement with the ACC. Based on ND playing a partial ACC schedule there is a clause that if ND joins a conference it has to be the ACC.

So, the lawyers are going to have to justify why ND can break that agreement. 

It's also my understanding that any ACC school who leaves the ACC before 2035 has to pay a $50 million fee. 

That $50M is not an issue, as the $100M a year revenue sharing is double what ND makes in a year.  They will make that up after the first season. 

To your point, can lawyers get it done.  I don't see the money as an issue.  

On 7/1/2022 at 12:34 PM, GeotechDuck said:

Or the scary version....they take ND and then pick up Stanford and say 18 is good.  

Stanford does get them enough by themselves. 

Oregon and even Washington are worth far more money. 

On board with you David.  If ND says yes then its a green light for Oregon, Washington, and probably Stanford.

if ND says no then it's Oregon & Washington for sure and possibly two others to get to 20.  There is no way that they only take Stanford.   From an eyeballs standpoint that makes no sense.

On 7/1/2022 at 12:46 PM, Quackerbacker said:

On board with you David.  If ND says yes then its a green light for Oregon, Washington, and probably Stanford.

if ND says no then it's Oregon & Washington for sure and possibly two others to get to 20.  There is no way that they only take Stanford.   From an eyeballs standpoint that makes no sense.

So my only question then is why do they have to wait for a decision by ND to decide if they are going to add the UO / UW package?   Clearly the ND decision has some impact on if they take and find the UO /UW package valuable?  

Any ideas here?

^ Exactly.  If that were the case they would have said yes to UO/UW already.  I now sense we are are B1G’s fall back plan if the SEC does a numbers grab.

If they don't want 20 teams, but 18, (and they have 16 now) they wait on ND.  If ND joins, they need one more and we are among the candidates.  If ND stays independent, (which is what I would guess) then B1G stands pat and we're out?

• Thumbs Up 1

Mr. FishDuck

On 7/1/2022 at 12:50 PM, GeotechDuck said:

Clearly the ND decision has some impact on if they take and find the UO /UW package valuable?  

I'm a little confused why they need to wait on ND to be honest. If you look at the programs that bring in the most revenue ND is one of the top programs but Oregon and Washington are pretty high in that list over all. 

The combo of Oregon and Washington would outweigh ND. Beyond that I read there are some fears that Oregon and Washington might not expand the overall revenue enough for everyone but might shrink it slightly for everyone. 

That could be possible but I think Oregon and Washington would more than pay for themselves. 

I think right now it's a tactic being used by the B1G to slow down and evaluate their choices before just diving in. ND is a big fish and beyond that ND is unlikely to make a decision too quickly. 

Everyone is scrambling right now. Also if Oregon and Washington both leave the PAC then there is no hope for the PAC and the PAC is super dead. 

Which then leads to other questions like... What about Cal, Oregon State and Washington State and Stanford? They aren't the big ticket programs but could preserving the pac-8 be worth it in an already massive super conference? 

I don't have answers when it comes to that just throwing out thoughts. 

• Thumbs Up 1

It is odd that they want to hear from ND, but ND is forced to join the ACC if they want their football team to join a conference or they have to pay the 50 mil exit fee.  I can't believe the ACC has a TV contract until 2036.  That was absurd.

On 7/1/2022 at 12:53 PM, AllOregon said:

^ Exactly.  If that were the case they would have said yes to UO/UW already.  I now sense we are are B1G’s fall back plan if the SEC does a numbers grab.

No, they don’t want to set off an implosion of the PAC without perfect information on ND.  My guess is they have 3 in mind and are just waiting to see if the fourth is needed or not

Guest Axel

I hope I'm wrong, but I don't see much hope for the survival of the Pac-12. It's ironic that the two hated rivals of Oregon and Washington need each other right now to become a package deal for the Big Ten. US&C and UCLA do need West Coast schools to mitigate their travel and scheduling challenges. 

Sorry......but if ND agrees it will probably not be Oregon. 

Cal, Stanford or Washington all fit better if my guess is correct. 

They all have more powerful academics. larger schools, very large markets and don't present a situation in the NIL era in which a rich person who is extremely supportive can outbid the rest of the league for talent. 

Even USC or UCLA, now members of the Big 10 might veto Oregon membership. They want the southern Cal recruiting for themselves. Weakening Oregon only helps them. Having Oregon in an expanded Big 12 does that. Playing Stanford and Cal is an easier and closer road game for the LA teams. Neither recruits well in CA. 

As a USC fan I don't see what USC did positively in the long term. The travel is going to kill them.......but.........they sure screwed the rest of the conference......particularly, Washington, Oregon, Cal and Stanford. The other pac 12 members really never belonged in a power 5 or can make a good fit with the Big 12 easily. 

IMO Oregon is going to have to make lemonade out of lemons and join the Big 12......if they can......and since most of the markets in an expanded BIG 12 are growing much faster than the midwest.....might end up just fine.  

• Haha 1

On 7/1/2022 at 2:11 PM, fred flintstone said:

They all have more powerful academics. larger schools, very large markets and don't present a situation in the NIL era in which a rich person who is extremely supportive can outbid the rest of the league for talent. 

Even USC or UCLA, now members of the Big 10 might veto Oregon membership. They want the southern Cal recruiting for themselves. Weakening Oregon only helps them. Having Oregon in an expanded Big 12 does that. Playing Stanford and Cal is an easier and closer road game for the LA teams. Neither recruits well in CA. 

As a USC fan I don't see what USC did positively in the long term. The travel is going to kill them.......but.........they sure screwed the rest of the conference......particularly, Washington, Oregon, Cal and Stanford. The other pac 12 members really never belonged in a power 5 or can make a good fit with the Big 12 easily. 

IMO Oregon is going to have to make lemonade out of lemons and join the Big 12......if they can......and since most of the markets in an expanded BIG 12 are growing much faster than the midwest.....might end up just fine.  

I don’t like this take, but I agree with it. If ND joins, Stanford is the team the BiG is adding. 

Edited by GeotechDuck

I know one thing I am going to enjoy USC and UCLA getting their butts kicked.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Like 1

What isn't mentioned, the Pac 12 owns the Rose Bowl rights.  I'm not sure if those end in 2024 or move with UCLA?

By staying in the Pac 12 (if there is anything left of it) Oregon can be the Oklahoma of the past 5-7 years. Win an easy conference and slide into the playoff. The only problem is Oklahoma got beat down every time because they weren’t battle tested. But, at least they had a chance. It would depend on how they’re ranked in the pre-season.

I know I stated earlier that Norte Dame needs to join the ACC to survive, but after looking at their situation critically, they’re the only team that has made the playoff without the burden of playing a conference championship game. If they join the Big 10 they’re likely to have long waits between playoff appearances. 

On 7/1/2022 at 2:29 PM, GeotechDuck said:

I agree with this 100%.  If ND joins, Stanford is the team the BiG is adding. 

well maybe but Stanford has a small viewership and terrible attendance.

On 7/1/2022 at 5:11 PM, fred flintstone said:

I will say this. As a football fan I look forward to the USC/Ohio State conference championship games. I have bothered to watch a Ohio St/Sacrificial Lamb Big 10 championship game in years.

Greetings.  An Oklahoma State fan here to see what the temperature was out west.  We've been living this craziness for the last year.  It's not good for the blood pressure, the emotions, or the soul for that matter.  Fairly sure I've cycled through the stages of grief 2 or 3 times haha.

I don't think schools like UO or UW or Oklahoma St or Baylor really need to worry....in the long run anyways.  As I do think eventually the top 64 schools or so will eventually be in a new situation.  It's all about eyeballs on TVs and both the Ducks and Cowboys move the needle there.  (See link below for some interesting look at the numbers)

Average TV Ratings 2015-2019

It's schools like Oregon St and Kansas that need to be concerned.  Although KU's bball program will likely save it's backside.

Just to lighten the mood.  My home message board orangepower.com decided the Big12 and Pac12 should mesh and call it the Biggie Pac with (naturally) the Pac schools being the west schools and the Biggie schools being the eastern most schools.  Somebody even made a graphic to go with it.  Made me lol.

My advice...just take deep breaths!  It's likely this rollercoaster isn't finished ha. With pockets like Phil Knight's and the solid TV numbers/performance UO has you guys will absolutely land on your feet.

conferences biggiepac.png

Edit: My biggest hope is that we can somehow take the creme de la creme of the Pac12/Big12/ACC.  THAT would actually make for a splash.  ACC GOR is the biggest hurdle to that though.

Edited by OST8
  • Great post! 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 7/1/2022 at 2:37 PM, DrJacksPlaidPants said:

I will say this. As a football fan I look forward to the USC/Ohio State conference championship games.

USC has only made the Pac12 championship game thrice. Not sure I would assume they will be playing for the B1G championship anytime soon.

Edited by DUCati855
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 7/1/2022 at 2:34 PM, 1Ducker1 said:

I know, but it is not like Rutgers and Maryland are any better. Academics, grants, and other things are at play here I am afraid. 

On 7/1/2022 at 2:46 PM, GeotechDuck said:

I know, but it is not like Rutgers and Maryland are any better. Academics, grants, and other things are at play here I am afraid. 

Academics in todays college football --maybe yesterday but not in todays football. And its all speculation as of now.

On 7/1/2022 at 2:42 PM, OST8 said:

My home message board orangepower.com decided the Big12 and Pac12 should mesh

That might be the best way for all to survive if we cannot be in the B1G, and I love the graphic.  And do chime in when you have thoughts, as we invite reasonable fans from all schools.  WELCOME!

(BTW...always loved your offense!)

Mr. FishDuck

On 7/1/2022 at 5:44 PM, DUCati855 said:

USC has only made the Pac12 championship game thrice. Not sure I would assume they will be playing for the B1G championship anytime soon.

That’s because they had Helton and he couldn’t recruit. Riley will have them in a much better position. 

USC and UCLA aren’t members yet so they lack veto power.  

Your comments around rich alumni being an issue sort of falls apart when you think of your school and tOSU. 

I think you are losing the plot a little.  This is now about brands.  Oregon is a massive draw and a natural rival to SC given resources commitment and fan loyalty. 

Why would you toss Oregon over the side?  It isn’t the equivalent of Texas Tech or Oklahoma State

On 7/1/2022 at 4:53 PM, Charles Fischer said:

That might be the best way for all to survive if we cannot be in the B1G, and I love the graphic.  And do chime in when you have thoughts, as we invite reasonable fans from all schools.  WELCOME!

(BTW...always loved your offense!)

I appreciate the welcome!  I too have really enjoyed the Ducks offense over the years.  As I recall that offense rolled right over us back in 2008 or 2009 haha.  I hate that the desire for money has overcome the love of tradition in college football but that is where we find ourselves.  Again I think both our programs will be okay in the end.

On 7/1/2022 at 2:34 PM, 1Ducker1 said:

Stanford and the Farm are the antithesis if B1G with their huge stadiums that are always packed with a 100k people and are loud. 

You could study or write a paper in Stanford's stadium during a game. 

Autzen may not be as large as B1G stadiums but it is certainly loud enough. 

Stanford will be involved if ND is involved but I don't think they carry enough weight on their own to warrent an addition over two west coast schools that will be revenue generators. 

I’d bet my NIL money that ND turns down B1G

• Haha 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Guest Axel

Even USC or UCLA, now members of the Big 10 might veto Oregon membership.

USC or UCLA could not prevent the Big Ten from adopting Oregon, a national brand, with a larger fan base than any other West Coast school, including USC. The other Big Ten schools care about TV ratings and the Ducks would deliver that in spades, clubs, hearts, and diamonds. 

It is of course understandable that USC and UCLA would want to weaken Oregon, a school that has dominated them both on the gridiron during the last 15 years. It's highly doubtful that the Big Ten would accept Stanford, a program on the decline, and allow Oregon to get away. 

If Notre Dame does agree to go to the Big Ten, a likely scenario would be for Oregon, Washington, and North Carolina to also join the party. USC and UCLA may hate Oregon and dislike Washington, but these L.A. schools would be grateful over time for two easier travel destinations during their sports seasons. 

Stewart Mandel, a college football analyst at The Athletic, stated earlier on the Paul Finebaum Show: "I think Oregon as a football program is desirable for a lot of different conferences." That would certainly include the Big Ten, and in my opinion, that is the most likely landing spot for the Ducks.

On 7/1/2022 at 12:41 PM, GeotechDuck said:

That $50M is not an issue, as the $100M a year revenue sharing is double what ND makes in a year.  They will make that up after the first season. 

To your point, can lawyers get it done.  I don't see the money as an issue.  

I'm confused where you are getting that ND is going to get 100 million a year? The SEC deal with ESPN is 300 million a year, how is ND going to end up with 100 million for itself? Right now, I've read ND get $15 million a year from NBC.

Please explain what I'm missing or misunderstand of you post.

On 7/1/2022 at 4:14 PM, Axel said:

Stewart Mandel, a college football analyst at The Athletic, stated earlier on the Paul Finebaum Show: "I think Oregon as a football program is desirable for a lot of different conferences." That would certainly include the Big Ten, and in my opinion, that is the most likely landing spot for the Ducks.

This is great to see. That article posted a while ago and now this show Oregon being a national brand is not just us tossing it out there. Oregon would be an asset to any conference, it kept the Pac-12 afloat the last decade. 

I hope that Crepea is right , Mullens is busy talking with other conferences and maybe that "academic prowess" insititution could tag along, like UCLA is doing with USC

On 7/1/2022 at 4:30 PM, DazeNconfused said:

I'm confused where you are getting that ND is going to get 100 million a year? The SEC deal with ESPN is 300 million a year, how is ND going to end up with 100 million for itself? Right now, I've read ND get $15 million a year from NBC.

The revenue sharing for the new BIG media deal is estimated at $80 to $100M per year per team.  It will be well over $1B with the addition of UCLA and USC. 

Edited by GeotechDuck

On 7/1/2022 at 6:37 PM, GeotechDuck said:

The revenue sharing for the new BIG media deal is estimated at $80 to $100M per year per team. 

Thats funny to me because half those teams are not worth that--but we live in a world of stupid money so whatever.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 7/1/2022 at 4:30 PM, DazeNconfused said:

If I am reading it correctly, ND gets about $38M a year from NBC.  They would get $80 to $100M a year from the BiG under the new media deal.  Expect them to say yes. 

Edited by GeotechDuck

Let's look at how league transfers have looked.

1 Nebraska hasn't won a title in the B1O in 20 yrs after being one of the best in their old league

2 Utah took them 11 yrs to win a weak PAC.

3 Colorado came in the PAC with the Utes no title.

4 TA&M they left 10 yrs ago and joined sec. Yet to win a title.

5 Missu left with A&M no title.

6 PSU, MD, Rutgers joined the B1O 6 yrs or so ago no titles.

7 TX and OK joining sec not figured to contend in the foreseeable future.

Not a pretty picture for USC and UCLA. Or U of O, UW , or whoever else transfers.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 7/1/2022 at 6:42 PM, Duck 1972 said:

Let's look at how league transfers have looked.

1 Nebraska hasn't won a title in the B1O in 20 yrs after being one of the best in their old league

2 Utah took them 11 yrs to win a weak PAC.

3 Colorado came in the PAC with the Utes no title.

4 TA&M they left 10 yrs ago and joined sec. Yet to win a title.

5 Missu left with A&M no title.

6 PSU, MD, Rutgers joined the B1O 6 yrs or so ago no titles.

7 TX and OK joining sec not figured to contend in the foreseeable future.

Not a pretty picture for USC and UCLA. Or U of O, UW , or whoever else transfers.

This makes me feel a lot better!!

Don't agree Fred flintstone.  I highly doubt they take Stanford on their own they don't bring in any additional revenue,   minimal eyeballs.  Even as a rival to Notre Dame, they already have USC they don't need Stanford.  If Notre Dame wants to continue playing Stanford it's an easy nonconference game.  Academics are an issue but it's not THE ISSUE.   This all about the money.

• Applause 1

At this point, if the PAC survives with Oregon in it, they need to move quickly and boldly. I think at least an immediate merger of PAC and Big 12 would make sense.

Add ACC, maybe, but only if those definitely coming include Clemson and UNC. If Notre Dame could somehow be pulled into that configuration, what a wonderful gut punch to the Big 10 (I'd love to see that, but not expecting it.)

It seems regional based conferences are no longer desired. So why not an expansion from coast to coast. 

Too bad the PAC didn't have the forethought to do this kind of thing two years ago, or at least as soon as OK and Texas announced for SEC. You had to see this coming as the Big 10 tried to compete.

I'm still sick to my stomach though. I don't see how all of this ends up being good for college sports, even if you are just talking about football.

Began with Larry Scott and finished by USC & UCLA!

image.thumb.png.55c5126a542fd46fbc1b030aeee16fc8.png

On 7/1/2022 at 6:37 PM, GeotechDuck said:

The revenue sharing for the new BIG media deal is estimated at $80 to $100M per year per team.  It will be well over $1B with the addition of UCLA and USC. 

On 7/1/2022 at 6:42 PM, GeotechDuck said:

If I am reading it correctly, ND gets about $38M a year from NBC.  They would get $80 to $100M a year from the BiG under the new media deal.  Expect them to say yes. 

I got to do some more research and reading because last I knew ND and NBC extended their deal in 2017 through 2025 and it was paying $15 million a year to ND. 

I don't get how the Big 10 is going to get a deal pay ND $80 to 100 million a year when the SEC new deal with ESPN pays the whole conference $300 million a year. 

For the Big 10 to share 80 to 100 million they would have to get a deal over 1 billion per year and who is going to pay the 3 times what ESPN just paid the SEC? If so, then the SEC sure signed a bad deal lol

I don't get it, but I'll do some reading and see if I can find what you read that's saying this.

Maybe I'm 100 miles behind how much the TV money being paid is inflated, thanks for scooping me on this. 

Edit.. just read the 1 billion a year on bloomberg... how cow!!!!

Edited by DazeNconfused

On 7/2/2022 at 8:48 AM, DazeNconfused said:

Edit.. just read the 1 billion a year on bloomberg... how cow!!!!

Games will need to be 4-5 hours long to allow for all the commercials.  I will set the DVR and quit watching live.  Not sure it is a financially sustainable model.

On 7/1/2022 at 5:06 PM, CalBear95 said:

USC and UCLA aren’t members yet so they lack veto power.  

Your comments around rich alumni being an issue sort of falls apart when you think of your school and tOSU. 

I think you are losing the plot a little.  This is now about brands.  Oregon is a massive draw and a natural rival to SC given resources commitment and fan loyalty. 

Why would you toss Oregon over the side?  It isn’t the equivalent of Texas Tech or Oklahoma State

In reference to your comment that Oregon isn't the equivalent of TTech or Oklahoma State...I actually don't disagree with you, I just don't understand why that's the case.

The reason it feels confusing is that all I ever hear about in this whole conference realignment circus is that it's driven by football TV money which is all tied in with how many eyeballs do each school draw when they are on TV. 

IF that's the case from 2015-2019 Oklahoma State ranked 19th in the country in terms of TV ratings with Oregon at 26th and TTech at 38th. And yet, I'm with you in terms of just...sensing that Oregon is more "valuable" than Oak State. I just don't understand why. Is it the perceived ceiling of each school? Is it academics? Oklahoma State is an R1 research university (next step up is AAU), so while it's no Stanford it's considered very solid academically (on paper anyways).

What are your thoughts there?

Edited by OST8