The Kamikaze Kid

UO + Lanning + SEC = $$$

The more I digest this latest news, the more moving to the SEC seems to be the biggest win for all involved. For the SEC, they would match The BIG's expanded Pacific coast reach and bring in one of the biggest national brands. This would be a revenue bonus instead of a drain.

For the UO, having an SEC affiliation would keep them at the front of the line with 4/5 star SoCal talent and keep them nationally relevant. To entice the SEC, UO should immediately go all in on Lanning and double his pay putting him up at SEC levels. They should also begin plans for expanding Autzen to 70,000+ capacity. Regularly bringing in Alabama and LSU et al would justify the expense. What ever the costs involved with travel, pay raises and stadium upgrades, it would be more than offset by the increased revenue involved with SEC affiliation.

By putting Lanning on par with his fellow upper level SEC coaches, there won't be a need for him to move on to greener pastures. Joining the SEC would also put Lanning right in his wheel house of recruiting five star SEC talent. Also, five star SEC type kids wouldn't have to leave the SEC to play for the UO.

This is truly a go big or go home moment. I hope the UO is up for the challenge.

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 3

I understand your logic, but emotionally it makes me ...🤮

• Salute 1
  • Haha 3
  • Like 1

Mr. FishDuck

On 7/1/2022 at 1:37 PM, The Kamikaze Kid said:

This is truly a go big or go home moment. I hope the UO is up for the challenge.

I'm not sure what the answer is..... But, this statement is VERY true!

On 7/1/2022 at 1:39 PM, Charles Fischer said:

I understand your logic, but emotionally it makes me ...🤮

Agreed. It makes me sick also.

• Like 1

As cool as it is to imagine for all of the reasons stated above, I just can’t see Oregon going to the SEC. The travel issues make it implausible. 

Edited by latracey
  • Thumbs Up 3

Guest Axel

The best way forward for Oregon--maybe the only way forward--is to be adopted by the Big Ten, along with Washington. US&C and UCLA need at least two other West Coast schools in the Big Ten for scheduling balance.

Oregon joining the SEC is a bad idea from a logistics standpoint alone. Travel would be an absolute nightmare. And it's doubtful that the arrogant bastards in the SEC would ever want to travel to Eugene. It's Big Ten or bust for Oregon, in my opinion.

Yes please!!   I think it is a long shot, but the SEC would be awesome. It is for sure better than the Big-12 or staying put. 

Edited by GeotechDuck

Any word on a public statement from the Ducks?

On 7/1/2022 at 5:57 PM, Log Haulin said:

Any word on a public statement from the Ducks?

According to Pete Martini of the Salem Statesman Journal, Oregon has not made a public statement yet. Though that was as of yesterday, I still have not seen any statement yet come out.

I think it's wise they've stayed silent on this issue and have not made a rash public statement.  It's important they get this right.

He said  "the Ducks has built a national brand.  I don't think they'll want to be further involved in a severely damaged PAC12"

I wonder what kind of advice Phil Knight has given to the Oregon Administration in this matter?

Edited by NJDuck
  • Go Ducks! 1

Big 10/SEC? Screw 'em. I'd prefer picking up a few of the strong Texas schools and/or OK State and having a Coastal division (UW, WSU, UO, OSU, Stan & Cal) and SW division (Utah, Colo, Arizona, ASU, OK State & Baylor(?)). We'd pick up the Texas market, keep relatively compact, preserve most of our traditional rivalries, keep the Rose Bowl and stay out of the snow zone. Maybe add four more teams to go to 16 if you must.

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 3

On 7/1/2022 at 3:20 PM, MTdux said:

Big 10/SEC? Screw 'em. I'd prefer picking up a few of the strong Texas schools and/or OK State and having a Coastal division (UW, WSU, UO, OSU, Stan & Cal) and SW division (Utah, Colo, Arizona, ASU, OK State & Baylor(?)). We'd pick up the Texas market, keep relatively compact, preserve most of our traditional rivalries, keep the Rose Bowl and stay out of the snow zone. Maybe add four more teams to go to 16 if you must.

And the revenue would be so low that we would have to drop the majority of our sports.  (My opinion)

Mr. FishDuck

On 7/1/2022 at 1:56 PM, Axel said:

It's Big Ten or bust for Oregon, in my opinion.

But the bust is looking more and more like the most likely outcome. The PAC 10 is extremely weak without the LA market, and the Big 12 has nothing to offer. Unless the Pac 10 can merge with the ACC, or at least their best teams, then we're totally screwed. Joining the SEC would be a godsend at that point. 

Oregon does not have the tv market or a national brand to go independent, but at this point it's just as bad as staying with the Pac.

Joining the SEC is an excellent way to trump the so called Lincoln Riley wave of Recruiting.  The SEC already is looked at as the best conference, so why coat tail with USC at this point?  At this point fans in the stands, travel, & traditional rivalries are all trumped by the money from TV deals, so there's nothing to lose.

On 7/1/2022 at 3:37 PM, The Kamikaze Kid said:

By putting Lanning on par with his fellow upper level SEC coaches, there won't be a need for him to move on to greener pastures.

In my opinion, Lanning needs to prove himself for two seasons before getting a bump in pay.  If he's a flop, he's not going anywhere anyways.

• Thumbs Up 2

On 7/1/2022 at 3:51 PM, latracey said:

I just can’t see Oregon going to the SEC. The travel issues make it implausible. 

The travel issues are no different than going to the BIG 10.  If they stand pat, they will be left behind.

On 7/1/2022 at 4:54 PM, chrisjenn99 said:

If they stand pat, they will be left behind.

Absolutely agree. It was poor form that UCLA and USC did it this way, as OK and Texas did with their move to the SEC. But if the news yesterday had been that Oregon had found a landing spot before the Pac-12 went under, I'd be happy. Oregon does have options, and would be an asset to any conference, the Pac-12 is "Dead Man Walking" now. 

image.jpeg

How do you answer the difference in climate in the sec and acc. The humidity in those southern schools is draining for even the most fit. How do u expect our team to perform?

Oh and the 3 hr difference in time.  Some away games our team will have to wake up in the wee morning and then go out and play Georgia, Alabama, FL, TX, Tenn, S Car, etc..

Then the 3 hr trip home. I'm telling everyone it won't turn out well.

If we are going to go this route at all the B10 is the best of two bad choices.

Some of the discussion in this thread is a bit of PAC-12 fans being self-absorbed. I love my Ducks, but I am a realist. What makes anybody truly think the SEC wants Oregon? That 200,000 Eugene/Springfield market isn't going to be burning down any SEC doors. As for poaching Big-12 schools, we're a year late. They are in the drivers seat now, not the PAC-12. If anything, the Big-12 may come around and poach the best of the PAC-12.

From a media standpoint, that starts with the Arizona schools due to Phoenix, proximity is also a benefit. Next would be Colorado and Utah, both large markets and in the mountain time zone. Then UDUB and Oregon to keep a rival pair. That would take them to 18 teams. If they went to 20, they would take Stanford and Cal, which leaves OSU and WSU holding the empty bag.

• Go Ducks! 1

On 7/1/2022 at 8:09 PM, QuackAttack said:

Some of the discussion in this thread is a bit of PAC-12 fans being self-absorbed. I love my Ducks, but I am a realist. What makes anybody truly think the SEC wants Oregon? That 200,000 Eugene/Springfield market isn't going to be burning down any SEC doors. As for poaching Big-12 schools, we're a year late. They are in the drivers seat now, not the PAC-12. If anything, the Big-12 may come around and poach the best of the PAC-12. From a media standpoint, that starts with the Arizona schools due to Phoenix, proximity is also a benefit. Next would be Colorado and Utah, both large markets and in the mountain time zone. Then UDUB and Oregon to keep a rival pair. That would take them to 18 teams. If they went to 20, they would take Stanford and Cal, which leaves OSU and WSU holding the empty bag.

You lost me at 200,000 Duck market. Only 6 other teams have more fans. #1 in the Pac. There is Duck swag from sea to shining sea. Fan or not, Facts! 

If the Ducks were SEC? A ton of SEC recruits would love to play in Eugene IN the SEC. Eugene would be loaded with Dudes.

Edited by Log Haulin

Some of the discussion in this thread is a bit of PAC-12 fans being self-absorbed. I love my Ducks, but I am a realist. What makes anybody truly think the SEC wants Oregon? That 200,000 Eugene/Springfield market isn't going to be burning down any SEC doors. As for poaching Big-12 schools, we're a year late. They are in the drivers seat now, not the PAC-12. If anything, the Big-12 may come around and poach the best of the PAC-12. From a media standpoint, that starts with the Arizona schools due to Phoenix, proximity is also a benefit. Next would be Colorado and Utah, both large markets and in the mountain time zone. Then UDUB and Oregon to keep a rival pair. That would take them to 18 teams. If they went to 20, they would take Stanford and Cal, which leaves OSU and WSU holding the empty bag.

It sounds like the Big-12 extended offers to UW, UO, AZ and ASU today, but not Colorado or Utah. It will interesting to see if we accept. 

16B7BED3-0D94-462C-9AFC-CCA50637F47D.jpeg

Edited by GeotechDuck
  • Wow 2

As an outsider I find this fascinating, but I also feel really bad for the uncertainty you guys are facing.  I do think Oregon is too valuable not to be absorbed by one of the two "super leagues" (term sounds so arrogant so please forgive me, but that is what the talking heads are calling the SEC and Big10).

I am curious as to what happens in the near future, within a year let's say.  Does the Big 10 pause?  Does the SEC counter?  At one time people thought we were heading to four 16 team leagues, but now think we head to two 20 or 24 team leagues.  If that happens geography is out the window.  I could see two leagues like the NFC and AFC in the NFL, four divisions of 6 in each.  Players are unionized and paid as employees.  Biggest obstacles I think will be labor laws and Title IX.  NO IDEA how that gets worked out.

I could see the name of the conferences just being a brand, not really meaning anything.  We already have the Big 10 with 14 schools.  I envision the SEC just saying it is like KFC, it used to stand for Kentucky Fried Chicken, but now it is just KFC.  SEC used to stand for Southeastern Conference but now it is just SEC.

That is why I find the near future so compelling, if one of the two super-leagues (sorry) think the other wants to go to 24 does that make these moves happen quicker?  Funny thing is the travel especially for non-football sports could be "helped" by going to 24.  The conferences will make their own rules so they could just say for all sports other than football we will operate as 2 12 team conferences for the most part, then maybe allowing the two "champions" to play for the overall championship. Limiting a lot of your travel to 5 other former Pac 12 teams and let's call it the Midwest SEC Division of Texas, Oklahoma, A&M, Mizzou, Arkansas and LSU.   

Lastly, I think expansion has to happen now.  You need to have enough teams west of the rockies to be able to play one another, and to keep interest up (attendance and eyeballs).  But that is also why I wonder if the "crazy" idea of the SEC trying to grab teams like Oregon and Washington may not be as crazy as it first seems.  1/3 of the US population lives in Pac 12 country, that's a lot of eyeballs and inventory. 

If Greg Sankey, SEC Commissioner,  thinks the Big 10 is going to offer Oregon and Washington membership , does he preemptively offer?  I still think with USC and UCLA in the Big 10, that makes the most sense.  But what if Oregon's admin (and Phil Knight) are pissed off at USC for leaving and their "Alliance" partner sticking it to them?  Fascinating  times.

Some of the discussion in this thread is a bit of PAC-12 fans being self-absorbed. I love my Ducks, but I am a realist.

You are throwing shade at people who know more of the facts.  Did you see the recent analysis article that put Oregon's fan base nationally at 5.5 Million?  We have a larger fan base than anyone in the Pac-12 including USC, and have a larger fan base than Alabama!  

This is not about 200K in Eugene/Springfield....the astute OBD members here (those that have been posting here in the last six months) know it is about eyeballs across the nation that deliver a big television contract.

USATSI_16831014.jpg?w=640
DUCKSWIRE.USATODAY.COM

The Ducks have one of the biggest fan bases in the nation. But where do they stack up among the most beloved teams in college football?

• Thumbs Up 2

Mr. FishDuck

On 7/1/2022 at 4:52 PM, chrisjenn99 said:

In my opinion, Lanning needs to prove himself for two seasons before getting a bump in pay.  If he's a flop, he's not going anywhere anyways.

A voice of reason. Doubling Lanning’s pay before he has coached a game? Ridiculous. We know he can recruit….now let’s see if he can coach.

• Thumbs Up 1

Oh I agree it's ridiculous. I'm just saying to even be considered for SEC membership, the UO would have to show a commitment to stadium expansion and increasing the opperations budget (coaches salaries) to match those of the SEC. If the Ducks showed they were all in on playing big boy football, I think they would be a very enticing school to add.

• Go Ducks! 1

The illusion of the PAC-12 remainders joining with the ACC made me laugh. Imagine Stanford, Cal, Oregon, and Washington, all of whom are within an hour or two of the Pacific Ocean, playing in the ATLANTIC COAST CONFERENCE.  A geographer's nightmare.

On 7/1/2022 at 8:17 PM, GeotechDuck said:

It sounds like the Big-12 extended offers to UW, UO, AZ and ASU

That is a fake account.  Check the name “Trollsby” lol. Also consider the time stamp.  Would not make sense.

I would love to see Oregon join the SEC.  I could see some of their games. But  in my opinion even though we see many posts  saying travel would not be a problem with the superconferences, and that is possibly true. There are multiple other sports involved.The cost would sky rocket if all our other teams also had to travel to the east coast.

My crazy thought,  why not just make a conference for football and let all other sports stay pack 12. Football is moving far away from a simple college sport at this time anyway.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 7/1/2022 at 11:54 PM, AllOregon said:

That is a fake account.  Check the name “Trollsby” lol. Also consider the time stamp.  Would not make sense.

Yikes!  Sorry I posted misleading information and thanks for the correction!

On 7/1/2022 at 11:16 PM, Log Haulin said:

You lost me at 200,000 Duck market. Only 6 other teams have more fans. #1 in the Pac. There is Duck swag from sea to shining sea. Fan or not, Facts! 

If the Ducks were SEC? A ton of SEC recruits would love to play in Eugene IN the SEC. Eugene would be loaded with Dudes.

I agree.  Oregon does have Portland which is number 21 media market.  Oregon also has a national brand with the 7th largest (5.54) fan base nationally as well as one of the top facilities in the country.

But evidently, according to Canzano, what Oregon and Washington has to offer is not enough.  He said he is not convinced either university brings enough value to make splitting the FOX television revenue with two additional partners to the BIG, a no-brainer.

If true, the offer from the Big 12 would be the best option to join?  That would bring the Big 12 to 16 teams.  Can this get a huge media deal and a super conference status to bring clout to the table?  This means CAL, Stanford, OSU, WSU, Utah and Colorado would be left out?

I hope the powers there be at Oregon (hoping Phil Knight is helping in this decision making on a business point of view) makes the right decision.

Go Ducks, Fly High!

Edited by NJDuck