Charles Fischer

The Conference Dominoes Start with Notre Dame...in a Few Days

This sucks, but it is important information to know.

USATSI_9546151.jpg?w=640
DUCKSWIRE.USATODAY.COM

It looks like Notre Dame is the next team to make a decision on joining the Big Ten. After they decide, Oregon steps up to the plate…

• Thumbs Up 2

Mr. FishDuck

What if UCLA has to stay in the Pac because of legal issues, and Notre Dame joins the B1G and invites Oregon...and we accept?

How would you feel about Oregon leaving the conference being the final nail on the Pac-12 coffin?

• Oh no! 2

Mr. FishDuck

This whole thing blows.

On 7/2/2022 at 2:10 PM, Charles Fischer said:

How would you feel about Oregon leaving the conference being the final nail on the Pac-12 coffin?

I'd be fine with that. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Sorry, Charles, but that idea sucks. 

On 7/2/2022 at 2:18 PM, DimpleDucks said:

Sorry, Charles, but that idea sucks. 

Agree.  

What if UCLA has to stay in the Pac because of legal issues, and Notre Dame joins the B1G and invites Oregon...and we accept?

One word w/r/t UCLA: schadenfreude 

then guilty about the others and I would earnestly try to bring them along so I am not in regional Siberia

• Thumbs Up 1

The real question is what's the Big 10's end game is? 

Are they set on getting to a Super Conference and soon? Wat's the end number of the Super Conference? 20, 22, 24 teams?

After ND, Kanas could fit and add huge BB school. 

UW, UO, Stanford, Utah, Colorado...  that's 23 teams.. 

throw in a Arizona, Baylor or Texas Tech?

The Big 10 can cherry pick the west and SW to make a 12 team West Division to pair with a 12 team East if they want to go that far. 

This is most likely why Oregon has not come out with any statement.  Maybe they are quietly waiting if they are excepted into the BIG.  I could be wrong, but Oregon is looking at all options and the big one is if they will be invited to the BIG.

I am conflicted about the whole thing, but like or not realty is super conferences are starting to happen.  If all possible Oregon can't be on the outside looking in.

Edited by NJDuck
  • Go Ducks! 1
  • Thumbs Up 2
  • Like 1

If UCLA has to stay it would be great. We then could add SD St. to make up for the spoiled children and then PAC goes and gets Houston and TCU for the big TV Markets in TX  and then get Kansas, OK St., Boise State and Nevada and we would have 1/2 the country covered

We wouldn't bring in the money the other leagues are getting but it will be sufficient to continue amateur sports. We will still be able to recruit and use the portal to get disgruntled players that aren't playing in the minor leagues of the B1G and SEC.

• Thumbs Up 2

On 7/2/2022 at 2:32 PM, DazeNconfused said:

The real question is what's the Big 10's end game is? 

Are they set on getting to a Super Conference and soon? Wat's the end number of the Super Conference? 20, 22, 24 teams?

After ND, Kanas could fit and add huge BB school. 

UW, UO, Stanford, Utah, Colorado...  that's 23 teams.. 

throw in a Arizona, Baylor or Texas Tech?

The Big 10 can cherry pick the west and SW to make a 12 team West Division to pair with a 12 team East if they want to go that far. 

I'd be willing to consider that scenario of 12.  Then our 1st and only ooc game would be against a lower level team as a sort of preseason and to also help them fund their sports.

The next game would be cross division 1H 1A the following year. Then our division games of 10 start. Then we would have a championship game between divisions.  Or our division champions or top 2 teams of each division goes into PO.

Boy there have been so many great comments the last few days on all the threads within this forum. Well done......

I have spent the last 25 years of my 50 year business career helping customers unravel the chaos and confusion that engulfs their business model.

Working together with our customers employees to locate and identify the roadblocks that hinder operating a successful process.  Working to get everyone on the same page with the same goals...

Ask yourself, Do the remaining 10 PAC members share the same goal? Are they on the same page that would save the conference?

IMHO, i am not convinced they are at this point. They may get there but as of now they aren't. Can they trust each other? Who knows........

If Oregon feels uncertain about their loyalty from other conference members then they have options. Its selfish but the Ducks need to look for options that protect their interests. OREGON FIRST........

1. Sit down immediately with Phil and Penny and ask what they would like to see for Oregon standing alone as a football only independent. Also sit down with all big time boosters to see how the NIL money increases for the millions a 5☆ recruit will need to sign at Oregon. Its obvious if you want 10-5☆ players a year to sign then you need the millions necessary each year. Whether we go independent, salvage the PAC or merge, we will need 15 to 20 million annually for the 5 stars. If not we may be relegated to the best of a diminished conference. See×

2. Get on the phone with NBC or streaming services and see if a $75-$100 million TV rights package is available by going independent. They could go the Notre Dame route. Play 8 home games and dominate the 5 pm pacific/8 pm eastern time slot. For example a Oregon/Florida State game would be more appealing than USC/Purdue or UCLA/Rutgers.

3. Oregon would have a better option to create an exciting schedule for TV. The BIG cannot schedule USC/Ohio State type game every week. Also all the other sports can stay in a revised PAC or whatever survives. Oregon can have 8 home games and 4 road games a year. Not that much travel. They will have the flexibility to schedule some great games, both home and away. Afterall, Oregon is a National Brand, so act like it.

4.If this fails then be out front to create the first coast to coast conference with the top ACC, BIG 12 and PAC forming a 16 or 20 team conference. Create something that TV cant get enough of.

5. Or sit on the sidelines, piddle yourself and accept the left overs that come your way.

Go make waves, create and chart your own course. A course where you create your own destiny. Where sniveling back stabbing, whining conference members have no say 

One last thing that will help the Ducks amid all this chaos: On Sept. 3rd 2022, beat Georgia! Then dont stub your toe along the way and get to the CFP. For good measure just win the Natty. The National Champion Oregon Ducks would not be ignored in the chaos. Its a roadblock that the Ducks can eliminate. Then repeat in 2023.

Go Ducks.....

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Mic drop 2
  • Applause 4
  • Thumbs Up 1

Right now its every man for himself. Oregon needs to secure Oregon. I trust that leadership will get the Ducks in position to rise to another level. I expect it.

If the deal falls through with the LA schools, how do you welcome them back into the Pac. I doubt you can. Oregon needs to move on from the Pac 12. If the LA deal falls through... all the better.

Thing is about adding school such as Boise State or Nevada, if the conference presidents still have influence as to what schools join, they want schools that academically (program wise, admissions wise) are in the same realm as PAC schools. Maybe those schools are, but I'm not sure.

Edited by Annie

Interesting take from Dan Wetzel form Yahoo Sports.

74872190-f947-11ec-befd-7815f82d9406
SPORTS.YAHOO.COM

Just like that the Pac-12 and ACC moved closer to the AAC and Mountain West than the Big Ten and SEC. And they can't blame anybody but themselves.

On 7/2/2022 at 6:22 PM, Annie said:

Thing is about adding school such as Boise State or Nevada, if the conference presidents still have influence as to what schools join, they want schools that academically (program wise, admissions wise) are in the same realm as PAC schools. Maybe those schools are, but I'm not sure.

UNLV has attain tier 1 research status.  They might fit better than Nevada.

• Thumbs Up 1

I think the PAC, Big 12, ACC combo league drawing the best from each is the best option. Going with a 24 team conference with an east and west division.

Starting East: Clemson, FSU, UNC, UVa, Syracuse, Pitt, Miami, Duke...

Mid west: OK St., Houston, Texas Tech, Baylor, KU, K St.,Texas Christian, Iowa St....

West: Oregon, Stanford, Utah, Arizona, Ar. St., Washington, Oregon St. Cal or WSU.

Also consider BYU, Boise, San Diego St. Virginia Tech, Wake Forest, Colorado... and maybe, just maybe outflank the big10 and get Notre Dame. I'm sure I'm leaving out a good choice or two. 

If the big 10 and SEC are determined to create super conferences, beat them to it. 

There could even be a combination of all current members of all three conferences plus a few more split into 4 divisions and having a four team play off to decide the championship.

That could generate a lot of excitement!

• Thumbs Up 5

Saw this mentioned in one of the I-don't-know-how-many articles I've read about conference changes, but it does kind up sum things up: "Lincoln Riley is affiliated with his fourth conference since losing to Oklahoma State last November."

• Haha 1
  • Applause 1

On 7/2/2022 at 3:22 PM, Annie said:

Annie

I like your thought here. However, at this point the decisions are being driven by the football product that brings the biggest TV dollars.

USC and UCLA Presidents voted against previous expansion because iy wasnt in THEIR best interest. They didnt want to share revenues. Now they dont mind sharing with the BIG and those $100 million dollar annual payouts.

If the 10 remaing PAC Presidents make a decision based on compatability then we have lost already.

IMHO this is about football and TV rights. Get the best partners who can drive up dollars.

• Thumbs Up 2

On 7/2/2022 at 3:33 PM, NJDuck said:

Interesting take from Dan Wetzel form Yahoo Sports.

74872190-f947-11ec-befd-7815f82d9406
SPORTS.YAHOO.COM

Just like that the Pac-12 and ACC moved closer to the AAC and Mountain West than the Big Ten and SEC. And they can't blame anybody but themselves.

"Even in January, Pac-12 commissioner George Kliavkoff stated the league was in favor of an expanded playoff with automatic bids, yet for whatever reason voted against it anyway.

That may have signed the league’s demise."

How a conference that is routinely shut out of the playoffs closes it's own door in is beyond me. The yacht club is now a bunch of kids on floaty toys in the kiddie pool.

• Thumbs Up 3

Just an added thought......

The remaining PAC members should consider getting out front with the remaining Texas schools before the BIG decides they want a foot print in Texas..

If that happens then the PAC or even the skeleton of the PAC is finished.

Consider Baylor, TCU, TT, Houston and BYU, ISU, OK State and San Diego State. Now you beat the BIG or ACC from getting into Texas. As much as some on this Forum found no value in adding those school before, well it may be prudent to reconsider.

I would also make a run at Oklahoma. I would propose unequal revenue sharing with Oklahoma and Oregon being the PACs flahship brands. The schools that bring less revenues should reward the top dogs. If not this conference will be just slightly above the Group of 5.

Difficult to get a 5☆ recruit from Texas if FOX and ESPN shut you out. If they cant grow up watching you then you wont be their dream school.

TV and NIL  just changed the landscape of college football forever. The Rose Bowl will no longer be the prize for the PAC.

How many times do you need to be hit with a nuke before you wake up and realize what's happening?

The only option is to lead. If you follow consider that ESPN, FOX, SEC and BIG have already moved you out of their way.

• Mic drop 1

I kinda hope Notre Dame remains independent and the B1G then takes Oregon and Washington... or if they do take ND they also take Stanford.  The west coast teams can play each other as like a west coast pod, split the remaining games with the rest of the B1G and it should cut down on the amount of crazy travel.

It's weird, the travel doesn't impact me personally but whenever I look at a B1G map it makes the west coast look like Hawaii and at some level just kinda bothers me.

FWhT_PpXgAEaEs2.jpg

• Great post! 1

Works for me.  The Pac 8, 10, 12 as we knew it is now dead after 50+ years.  Long live the new KINGdom as long as we are part of it.

• Thumbs Up 2

On 7/2/2022 at 1:10 PM, Charles Fischer said:

if USuCk leaves, and sUCLA has to stay, the Crap 12 will be Crap 12 in reference to more than the officiating and Larry, just because they go.  It's their brand even though 8-4 is a good year since Pete Carroll left.  The condoms go B1G then we may have to as well.  It cracks me up, they probably won't even win the south this year but Lost Wages has them as the favorite already.  They don't have the lines, offense or defense, and too little depth. 

Riley can bring in the flash players all he wants but they have some building to do.  Their receivers will be slowing up after 5-6 seconds wondering where the ball is, and their Heismann hopeful transfer QB will be picking himself up off the coliseum floor again pulling real grass out of his facemask.  4th and long, another punt by the condoms

• Haha 1

Putting on my conspiracy theory hat.  I think ND was always the main objective of this. They wanted to get them before the SEC makes an offer. Getting USC would be the final move to convince them to give up independence and join.

Edited by Flaps2
  • Yikes! 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

ND has a long running series of games with both U$C and Stanford.  Those teams make sense for the B16G to snag ND while the apple is ripe.  ND plays those two teams for at least the next 3 years.  Even Cal is on their docket.  With scheduling being a potential bug ladled in the BWhateverG soup, I'd think there is motivation for ND to give up its long lived independence.  Of course the ACC may have something to say about the ND scheduling as well.  All this convoluted thinking swirling around my equally convoluted brain makes me think the 4 California teams are going to the BZillionG conference.

Our Ducks?  I think they're ACC/Big 12 bound......with one potentially large caveat.  No one is talking about the machinations of the SEC.  Wouldn't we be surprised to see them grab the Ducks and Butt Sniffers, Florida St. and Clemson.  as part of their national super-conference?!  Well, wouldn't it?!  Travel can be minimized through division scheduling.  Super Conference....hmmm.  It seems it's our zeitgeist and I don't like it.  College sports has always been in flux.  But more than that, tradition has been served.  It is maddening to watch it swirl down the drain these days.

• Applause 1

On 7/2/2022 at 3:12 PM, HappyToBeADuck said:

Boy there have been so many great comments the last few days on all the threads within this forum. Well done......

And you just added to them.

• Thanks 1

On 7/2/2022 at 7:22 PM, JDuck said:

It cracks me up, they probably won't even win the south this year but Lost Wages has them as the favorite already.  They don't have the lines, offense or defense, and too little depth. 

Because Vegas knows there are enough dillusional USC fans that would take that bet believing they have already arrived with Riley. 

Vegas is good at separating people from their money. 

• Haha 1

Oregon isn't going to settle for the Big12 or ACC. Oregon is BIG10 Bound. All financial losses from the 2020 Covid year will be wiped out in year one of joining them. It's happening. Just be ready for the whining from the local media river rat contingent. 😏 image.thumb.jpeg.a0d1aa85f79f4bd62b41147c91c76870.jpeg

On 7/3/2022 at 12:20 AM, Flaps2 said:

Oregon isn't going to settle for the Big12 or ACC. Oregon is BIG10 Bound. All financial losses from the 2020 Covid year will be wiped out in year one of joining them. It's happening. Just be ready for the whining from the local media river rat contingent. 😏 image.thumb.jpeg.a0d1aa85f79f4bd62b41147c91c76870.jpeg

Well.  The Ohio State NIL collective thinks it’s happening:

• Thumbs Up 1

If California makes UCLA stay I would be concerned that the Oregon state legislature might make Oregon stay also thinking that this could somehow save the conference and keep Oregon and Oregon State together.

That is a scary thought to me as we won't be able to compete with the new Big 10 or SEC as far as revenue goes and that will filter down into recruiting.  Hope I'm wrong on that one.  

If California signs off on UCLA going then my thinking is even the Oregon state legislature can see the writing on the wall and will let Oregon go.  

Again hoping the legislature won't get involved but they have a tendency to stick their nose where it doesn't belong.

Only 13% of the total UO budget comes from the State of Oregon, but the Athletic Department receives none, as they have been self-funding for years.  We can only hope they don't stick their nose into this...

• Thumbs Up 1

Mr. FishDuck

On 7/3/2022 at 10:20 AM, Charles Fischer said:

Only 13% of the total UO budget comes from the State of Oregon, but the Athletic Department receives none, as they have been self-funding for years.  We can only hope they don't stick their nose into this...

Given the above, there have been talks for years about Oregon going private.  If the State of Oregon legislators attempt to thwart Oregon's attempt to join another conference.  I wonder if these conversations will accelerate.  Perhaps the wealthy donors will open the checkbooks to make this happen...