Charles Fischer

Big Ten Finishes With Notre Dame and...Oregon?

So we could clean up...and be the final nail on the Pac-12 coffin?

Notre_Dame-scaled-e1656760422531.jpg
DAILYCALLER.COM

It sounds like the Big Ten might be adding Notre Dame and Oregon. Will the Ducks and Fighting Irish join the Big Ten?

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Cool 1

Mr. FishDuck

Or....

Where is my Maalox when I need it?

• Let’s hope! 1

Mr. FishDuck

My head hurts...

• Yikes! 1

The B12 is closer but ahhh 

This guy says its a done Deal-Ducks and Fuskies to the B10?

I gotta say, I’ve enjoyed reading all the posts regarding this situation from the members of this forum.  Many have been very insightful.  I wish I could add to them with intelligent thoughts conveying what I think Oregon should be looking to do or how I feel the Pac-12 should respond.  I can’t at the moment, this whole turn of events has my head spinning.

My only advice to you Ducks is to win Baby! When UCLA comes to Eugene in a few months just destroy them.  Then pray that USC makes it to the Pac-12 Championship so you can bury their season in an unmarked grave somewhere in the Nevada desert.  No it won’t solve the issue at hand but it would absolutely put a smile on my face.  And depending on the rest of the season it might send the Ducks to the Playoff.  

• Go Ducks! 3
  • Salute 1
  • Great post! 3
  • Applause 6
  • Thumbs Up 3

Well Charles just as i was drifting off to sleep you tossed in these 2 grenades. My ancient brain is spinning.

Both scenarios work for Oregon. Merge with the BIG 12 ASAP if we dont get a invite from the BIG immortals by next weekend. It shows the PAC and BIG 12 are proactive and not waiting around begging. This merger works well. The PAC has a footprint in Texas and the BIG 12 a footprint in Cali!

Plus you now create a 4 time zone conference. (Cincinnati)

Based upon exit fees I dont think the big players in the ACC can make a move. Unless their mega boosters cough up the money.

Both FOX and ESPN know that Texas fans are not interested in upper midwest football. They will watch Oregon/Baylor, TT/WA, Utah/Houston etc. Especially if their teams win those games and Texas and OU become middle of the road SEC teams.

Even if the new merger has a $50 or $100 million exit fee. Phil and Penny will pay that if they feel the future for Oregon is with the BIG. The money will be recouped quickly.

Consider that the BIG needs to have a 4 team POD or Division out West. Oregon vs USC or UCLA, Washington vs USC or UCLA, USC vs UCLA and Oregon vs Washington are made for prime time. FOX can essentially block ESPN from the West Coast and these games bring potential huge dollars to the BIG.

Unfortuneately their will be big casualties if Oregon and Washington leave the PAC for the BIG. It leaves a bad taste for many.

Its a brand new world. When i was a youngster in the 50's television was black and white. Telephones were mounted on the wall. The first heart transplant was almost 2 decades away. No laptops. Look at how new ideas, new companies willing to take risks changed the world.

In that process old companies unwilling to change fell by the wayside. The old ways, rivalries and traditions in college sports are heading that way too.

GO DUCKS........

• Go Ducks! 6
  • Great post! 1

Where ever Oregon lands they add a ton of value. 

USATSI_17161150.jpg?w=640
DUCKSWIRE.USATODAY.COM

Like it or not, conference realignment is directly related to team value. So which Pac-12 teams have the highest value in...

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Like 1

On 7/2/2022 at 10:36 PM, SoGaDawg said:

I gotta say, I’ve enjoyed reading all the posts regarding this situation from the members of this forum.  Many have been very insightful.  I wish I could add to them with intelligent thoughts conveying what I think Oregon should be looking to do or how I feel the Pac-12 should respond.  I can’t at the moment, this whole turn of events has my head spinning.

My only advice to you Ducks is to win Baby! When UCLA comes to Eugene in a few months just destroy them.  Then pray that USC makes it to the Pac-12 Championship so you can bury their season in an unmarked grave somewhere in the Nevada desert.  No it won’t solve the issue at hand but it would absolutely put a smile on my face.  And depending on the rest of the season it might send the Ducks to the Playoff.  

Hey, I have to agree with this entire post except for  one point about the Nevada desert: bury their stinking corpses anywhere but Nevada. We don't care to have them.       

• Haha 6

This is all beginning to sound like the soap opera "predictions" where Finn might come out his coma and search for Steffy or Li could have survived her burning SUV sailing off the road into the ocean. All we can do is just wait and see what really will happen.

• Haha 1

I went to the only high school the Holy Cross priests had in the country, for many years it was in Portland, moved to Chicago back in the last century.  Notre Dame will not be bullied by the Big 10.  Money wise Notre Dame is very well funded both in endowment and wealthy alums, they also have their own TV network NBC and don't share TV revenue with anyone.  

Only way I see this happening is if football goes to 2 super conferences (which it probably will down the road) and then Notre Dame will have the choice of were it goes.

• Mic drop 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

On 7/2/2022 at 10:47 PM, HappyToBeADuck said:

Well Charles just as i was drifting off to sleep you tossed in these 2 grenades. My ancient brain is spinning.

Both scenarios work for Oregon. Merge with the BIG 12 ASAP if we dont get a invite from the BIG immortals by next weekend. It shows the PAC and BIG 12 are proactive and not waiting around begging. This merger works well. The PAC has a footprint in Texas and the BIG 12 a footprint in Cali!

Plus you now create a 4 time zone conference. (Cincinnati)

Based upon exit fees I dont think the big players in the ACC can make a move. Unless their mega boosters cough up the money.

Both FOX and ESPN know that Texas fans are not interested in upper midwest football. They will watch Oregon/Baylor, TT/WA, Utah/Houston etc. Especially if their teams win those games and Texas and OU become middle of the road SEC teams.

Even if the new merger has a $50 or $100 million exit fee. Phil and Penny will pay that if they feel the future for Oregon is with the BIG. The money will be recouped quickly.

Consider that the BIG needs to have a 4 team POD or Division out West. Oregon vs USC or UCLA, Washington vs USC or UCLA, USC vs UCLA and Oregon vs Washington are made for prime time. FOX can essentially block ESPN from the West Coast and these games bring potential huge dollars to the BIG.

Unfortuneately their will be big casualties if Oregon and Washington leave the PAC for the BIG. It leaves a bad taste for many.

Its a brand new world. When i was a youngster in the 50's television was black and white. Telephones were mounted on the wall. The first heart transplant was almost 2 decades away. No laptops. Look at how new ideas, new companies willing to take risks changed the world.

In that process old companies unwilling to change fell by the wayside. The old ways, rivalries and traditions in college sports are heading that way too.

GO DUCKS........

WOW!  When I was a kid, those were staples of American Living, Ma Bell, the US Postal Service, being a Sports Patriot.  Going to baseball and football games.  Now, you have Pay Per View, the internet, Streaming.  The Former Conference of Champions, the PAC.  Charles, have you saved all your videos to VHS, before it is too late?

• Haha 1

On 7/4/2022 at 12:41 PM, EzDucksIt said:

Charles, have you saved all your videos to VHS, before it is too late?

Those babies have degraded badly; I've got to convert them to digital!

• Yikes! 1

Mr. FishDuck

Short story.  When my father passed away in 1999, in his early 60's, he left behind a WHOLE bunch of slides of the family, problem was that I could not find the projectors and bulbs easily.  Lazy and busy with kids back then.  And by the time I found a company that would put them on VHS, cd's came along and I got lazyER and well, I am leaving them for my Grand kids to figure out, when they come along, one day, still waiting. . . It's in the jeans, uhm I mean genes.

So far, the Georgia Bulldog fans have been nothing but class.  Reminds me of the southern hospitality we received from Tennessee and Mississippi State fans.  Glad that we have them on the schedule (even if we lose) and will be cheering for Georgia the rest of the way.

Thank you for Dan Lanning.  We are hopeful in Oregon that he'll turn into the next great college football coach, and hopefully stick around Oregon for awhile.

• Thumbs Up 1

Screen Shot 2022-07-04 at 2.18.48 PM.png

Who knows if anything is true at this point.  Assuming for a moment that it is, would the B1G take Oregon and Stanford right now, if Notre Dame decides to remain independent, so that they don't get tangled in another conference or TV contract?

I would hope that the B1G would take Washington over UNC.

Edited by OregonDucks
formatting

Ohhh those poor Fuskies. darn it

• Haha 1

I think ND can be OK in the 10-20 year range, but their fan base seems to be in their 60's plus.  Once, those people are no longer around, I think ND is going to be hard pressed to pull in the TV numbers.

On 7/4/2022 at 4:57 PM, OregonDucks said:

So far, the Georgia Bulldog fans have been nothing but class.  Reminds me of the southern hospitality we received from Tennessee and Mississippi State fans.  Glad that we have them on the schedule (even if we lose) and will be cheering for Georgia the rest of the way.

Thank you for Dan Lanning.  We are hopeful in Oregon that he'll turn into the next great college football coach, and hopefully stick around Oregon for awhile.

I hope we have all been "class." I think I can say the same for the Ducks that I have commented on or commented on my posts. Y'all definitely got a good coach with Lanning.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 1