McDuck

Canzano: Pac-12 Gut Punch Comes With A Cost

Excellent information from an executive who knows.  B1G may not be in the cards for Oregon...

Duck in Columbus.jpg

Mr. FishDuck

Phil will pay the price.

I would take a reduced share and/or work with PK to subsidize.  

What I didn’t expect is the ~$80/MM/year delta.  That’s a big number.  

I think the math gets a little easier though. 

Assume $300MM/year for a PAC 10 is correct so that’s $30MM/team.  If you add Big XII I believe their number is $500MM (let’s just go with that to make this easy).  

Assume ACC can’t get out of deal so they don’t get added in.  

$300MM + $500MM = $800MM

$800/22 = ~$67MM/year

If B1G offers $63MM (or whatever it was) I think you would take it given intangible (not really) vale of being at a national level in terms of visibility

Oregon has the 7th largest fan base in all of college football.  They were Top-10 in viewership last season.  They had 6 of the highest 8 rated games with a PAC-12 participant last season.  They are the No. 1 rated school in the entire west for viewership over the past decade.  They were part of two of the most watched national championship games in history. And they have an athletic department that Forbes rated as the 15th most valuable in all of college sports.  

And according to Canzano, he talked to some ex-Fox executive that thinks Oregon is only going to bring roughly $30M a year to the table for the BIG?

For reference, that number is $6M less than they current PAC payout of $36M, so Oregon is actually pulling the conference down?  

I am not saying that Oregon is valuable enough for the BIG to blindly add them, but using common sense, there is no possible way those numbers are correct.  

Edited by GeotechDuck
  • Thumbs Up 3

On 7/3/2022 at 12:38 PM, GeotechDuck said:

Oregon has the 7th largest fan base in all of college football.  They were Top-10 in viewership last season.  They had 6 of the highest 8 rated games with a PAC-12 participant last season.  They are the No. 1 rated school in the entire west for viewership over the past decade.  They were part of two of the most watched national championship games in history. And they have an athletic department that Forbes rated as the 15th most valuable in all of college sports.  

And according to Canzano, he talked to some ex-Fox employee that thinks Oregon is only going to bring roughly $30M a year to the table for the BIG?

For reference, that number is $6M less than they current PAC payout of $36M, so Oregon is actually pulling the conference down?  

I am not saying that Oregon is valuable enough for the BIG to blindly add them, but using common, there is no possible way those numbers are correct.  

Good point.  The focus of these conversations seems to be strictly on media market size, except when talking about Notre Dame, for some reason.

Edited by OregonDucks
clarification

Good point vs brand value which matters 

Example: the Green Bay Packers aren’t in a large media market (even if you counted the entire state of Wisconsin) but their brand value is probably higher than most teams in the league 

GB shares licensing and media revenue because the overall pie gets bigger for all y/y

• Thumbs Up 1

On 7/3/2022 at 11:19 AM, CalBear95 said:

I would take a reduced share and/or work with PK to subsidize.  

What I didn’t expect is the ~$80/MM/year delta.  That’s a big number.  

I think the math gets a little easier though. 

Assume $300MM/year for a PAC 10 is correct so that’s $30MM/team.  If you add Big XII I believe their number is $500MM (let’s just go with that to make this easy).  

Assume ACC can’t get out of deal so they don’t get added in.  

$300MM + $500MM = $800MM

$800/22 = ~$67MM/year

If B1G offers $63MM (or whatever it was) I think you would take it given intangible (not really) vale of being at a national level in terms of visibility

Your math is off a bit…

it is $36 million per team if you average them. 

to get to $67m/team you’d have to only have 12 teams making 800m total. 

You are totally right…when I did in my head I came up w/$38MM then did in calc but used 12 instead of 22.  Thought that looked odd

• Thumbs Up 1