Charles Fischer

George Kliavkoff is now Working AGAINST Oregon

He will do all he can to keep the Pac-12 alive, and that means he has a responsibility to the conference to do whatever it takes to keep Oregon and Washington in the conference.  I sure hope Oregon is getting good advice...because I don't think a university president knows squat about this.

George Kliavkoff (@Kliavkoff) / Twitter

Mr. FishDuck

I think we are off to the Big10 but while that means more $$$, Im not so sure about wins?

I dont think he will save the PAC from losing 4 teams-at least.

• Thumbs Up 1

Between failing on expansion and the self sabotage of voting against playoff expansion I'd have to score it :

Wet Paper Bag 1

Pac 12 0

As much as I hate the thought of leaving the Pac, circumstances dictate it as the only viable option.

• Haha 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 7/3/2022 at 1:12 PM, Charles Fischer said:

He will do all he can to keep the Pac-12 alive, and that means he has a responsibility to the conference to do whatever it takes to keep Oregon and Washington in the conference.  I sure hope Oregon is getting good advice...because I don't think a university president knows squat about this

Let's hope Oregon got Phil Knight involved to advise them through this process. He's not one to crack under pressure.  At this point this is a business transaction and what's best for Oregon moving forward.

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Thumbs Up 4

On 7/3/2022 at 10:35 AM, NJDuck said:

Let's hope Oregon got Phil Knight involved to advise them through this process. He's not one to crack under pressure.  At this point this is a business transaction and what's best for Oregon moving forward.

I hope that Oregon is also consulting Bob Thompson, a University of Oregon graduate, and the former president of Fox Sports Networks.  Conference expansion is all about $$$ and Thompson knows a thing or two about TV.

Oregon has to do what is in Oregon's best long-term interest.

• Go Ducks! 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

@Charles FischerIs there a story linked in the article or is this your speculation around the internal politics?

On 7/3/2022 at 10:35 AM, NJDuck said:

By the sound of some of the stuff I've read at various sources it does sound like Knight is involved with Oregon right now. 

I also trust Mullens here. I think he has a better idea of what is going on than any of us know. 

• Thumbs Up 1

We need to do all we can to save the Pac. What that means...I'm not sure.

The Pac is our identity. We all have family and friends who have gone to all the other schools. 

Yes, it would be nice to play some other schools occasionally, but we have no connection to those schools. 

It's probably too late to get any big 12 schools now, but we need to try.

• Thumbs Up 2

Oregon stays and the Pac is held together by adding teams from other conferences. I think culture wins out here. 

• Thumbs Up 2

On 7/3/2022 at 2:09 PM, David Marsh said:

By the sound of some of the stuff I've read at various sources it does sound like Knight is involved with Oregon right now. 

I also trust Mullens here. I think he has a better idea of what is going on than any of us know.

I agree.  As fans we are conflicted in what we think is the best move for Oregon in the long run.  Glad Phil Knight is involved!

Edited by NJDuck

On 7/3/2022 at 11:14 AM, DanLduck said:

The Pac is our identity. We all have family and friends who have gone to all the other schools. 

I will have to disagree with you here. Oregon has established its own "identity", Oregon is a national, in fact, international brand. It has been the winningest team, football & basketball for a long time, it has the best facilities in the NCAA, and the best track and field stadium in the world, Oregon has done too much to better itself to go down with a sinking conference. To the family and friends, I have at other schools, I say, "see you on the other side."

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Applause 3
  • Thumbs Up 4

Have we heard anything from Rob Mullens or Dan Lanning?

On 7/3/2022 at 11:55 AM, Santa Rosa Duck said:

Have we heard anything from Rob Mullens or Dan Lanning?

No, but that's intentional. 

On 7/3/2022 at 2:56 PM, OregonDucks said:

No, but that's intentional.

I agree.  At this point "Silence is Golden."

On 7/3/2022 at 10:59 AM, CalBear95 said:

@Charles FischerIs there a story linked in the article or is this your speculation around the internal politics?

First it makes sense, as George's objectives are different than ours.  Second...  (and block further defections...)

Mr. FishDuck

On 7/3/2022 at 12:05 PM, Charles Fischer said:

As I mentioned in my other post, I hope that the Pac-10 would explore a merger or an agreement with the ACC before the Big-12, as I believe that the top teams are stronger in football (e.g., Clemson, Florida State, Miami, Virginia Tech) and in basketball (e.g., North Carolina, Duke, Virginia).

Edited by OregonDucks
typo

I honestly don’t know if the Big XII and PAC can force Oregon to do anything before the ND decision comes down.  

They and UW are the remaining jewels so it isn’t like they can’t wait to see how everything pans out (anyone of the opinion that a post merger grow oils turn them down if they came on later?)

ND is the linchpin.  If they go, the ACC will do everything they can given the loss of ND from their schedule. 

If ACC goes, SEC and B1G will raid.  

That said, maybe the only way the ACC can get out of current deal is via approaching ESPN some larger merger w/whatever comes out of a Big XII and PAC combination. 

It’s all guesswork at this point 

On 7/3/2022 at 10:21 AM, The Kamikaze Kid said:

As much as I hate the thought of leaving the Pac, circumstances dictate it as the only viable option.

Titanic times for the Pac, time to get on our own lifeboat.  Waterfowl first, all else start swimming for shore.

• Haha 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 7/3/2022 at 12:51 PM, CalBear95 said:

That said, maybe the only way the ACC can get out of current deal is via approaching ESPN some larger merger w/whatever comes out of a Big XII and PAC combination.

I would have to believe that ESPN would be very interested in trying to counter Fox/B1G's latest move.

Is it really in Fox and ESPN's best interest to have two super conferences (i.e., bargaining power of suppliers)?  It would be a bidding war for those conferences TV rights vs. having more options.

Edited by OregonDucks
expanded

On 7/3/2022 at 12:51 PM, CalBear95 said:

I honestly don’t know if the Big XII and PAC can force Oregon to do anything before the ND decision comes down.  

ND is going to have a decision before a conference merger will likely be agreed upon. From the sound of all the info I've seen is that ND will probably have an answer this week. 

ND knows there is too much riding on their decision and they know they need to make up their mind relatively quickly. 

• Thumbs Up 1

On 7/3/2022 at 10:21 AM, The Kamikaze Kid said:

Between failing on expansion and the self sabotage of voting against playoff expansion I'd have to score it ...

He had valid reasoning for voting against playoff expansion. Kliavkoff was put in a no-win situation of Larry Scott's doing.

USATSI_10450188.jpg?w=640
TROJANSWIRE.USATODAY.COM

We know Larry Scott was a bad leader with an unwillingness to sacrifice his own comfort for the good of the Pac-12, but his...

Kliavkoff is working to protect the PAC-12. Whether that benefits Oregon or not is still an open question. 

• Thumbs Up 1

On 7/3/2022 at 3:40 PM, lownslowav8r said:

Kliavkoff is working to protect the PAC-12. Whether that benefits Oregon or not is still an open question. 

If he were smart, he would be talking to the biggest programs left in the PAC-10 to understand their wishes and desires for the future of the conference and what it would take for them to stay. Oregon should have been his first call, IMO. 

Edited by OregonDucks
Typo
  • Thumbs Up 3

I have a feeling Notre Dame doesn't join the Big 10 and with that they don't expand any further for awhile leaving Oregon and the rest of the Pac 12 no choice but to join the Big 12 because the Pac 12 is not gonna survive adding schools from the Mountain West

On 7/3/2022 at 4:52 PM, curtisd316 said:

I have a feeling Notre Dame doesn't join the Big 10 and with that they don't expand any further for awhile leaving Oregon and the rest of the Pac 12 no choice but to join the Big 12 because the Pac 12 is not gonna survive adding schools from the Mountain West

Hopefully the B1G commissioner has an end game in mind with conference expansion. If certain schools fit within that vision and are available now, it makes no sense to wait. You run the risk of those programs being tied down financially in the future with new conference/TV exit penalties. 

Oregon should reach out to the SEC, if the B1G is not going to expand further, at this time, assuming we haven’t already.  We cannot wait for something that may or may not happen years from now.

Edited by OregonDucks
Expansion

If Notre Dame doesn't join they probably won't until the next raid which would be when the SEC decides to add ACC schools leaving Oregon and the rest of the Pac 12 no choice but to join the Big 12 until that time happens

If you read some of the Tweets and articles, the PAC-12 is as good as dead.  Kliavkoff is the captan of a sinking ship.

99A03545-79F9-4F4D-891C-F41709DE1F03.jpeg

1D3AE094-4FD1-41B0-AB06-7E8046A9C4C8.jpeg

Edited by OregonDucks
Picture

https://twitter.com/MHver3/status/1543722133842530304?s=20&t=OpsBaR0hPruz0d5tyv4OBg

Big rumor! Notre Dame has allegedly made the ACC an offer they can’t accept to join that conference in all sports. Once the ACC declines the ridiculous terms of the offer ND is free to pursue other options. Take it with a grain of salt-not my usual source.

Edited by curtisd316
  • Thumbs Up 1