Annie

Here’s Hoping This USC/UCLA-Big Ten Merger Careens Off the Track, Crashes and Burns | Jones

PIFPLBTMHRBVZNW4PMBODNO5HA.jpg
WWW.PENNLIVE.COM

The more I think about it, the more I hope this acquisition engineered by the bloodless weasels at FOX Sports derails and...

Edited by Annie
  • Great post! 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Don't think his hope that US&C and UCC&L will return in to the PAC in 6 yrs if I'm reading it right is going to help us.

Awesome article, thanks.

But when you talk about travel...if we merge with the Big-12....have you ever flown to Houston?

• Thumbs Up 1

Mr. FishDuck

USC and UCLA will never be welcomed back. If this falls through before 24, perhaps the Pac stays intact. The LA schools will be the most hated schools in the conference. They would take a beating for years to come. 

• Thumbs Up 1

On 7/3/2022 at 11:34 PM, Duck 1972 said:

Don't think his hope that US&C and UCC&L will return in to the PAC in 6 yrs if I'm reading it right is going to help us.

If the Big 12 and Pac 12 merged could make two 11 teams divisions this all depends on what Notre Dame does if they don't join the Big 10 Oregon and Washington will have no choice thoughts?

WVU, Kansas, Kansas St, UCF, Cincinnati, Iowa State, Baylor, TCU, Texas Tech, Oklahoma State, Houston

Oregon, Oregon St, Arizona, Arizona St, Washington, Washington St, Utah, Stanford, BYU, Cal, Colorado

Play everyone in your own division that would be 10 games giving teams 2 open spots for whoever

Edited by curtisd316

I can't help but wonder if this isn't an early sign of the writing is on the wall for major college sports?

Attendence down (and arguably not likely to return to previous highs), TV ratings stale, predictability inside the sport never higher, NIL and the portal fundamentally changing the sport in ways we are still attempting to grasp, and on, and on.

If this the beginning of a huge money grab by those in a position to benefit the most? Loot the thing now, while there is still a chance to make some real windfall; and, get yours well ahead of the thing eventually collapsing?

I mean, it's not like these stakeholders (necessarily) want it to fail, if somehow the longshot comes through and the sport doesn't collapse, that's fine as well; but, those in positions to make major  bank off the thing -- making the short term steps to maximize that bank -- before they are out, and it eventually becomes something way different (or gone for good) -- seems like a good bet. Interesting times for the sport indeed.

On 7/3/2022 at 10:31 PM, AnotherOD said:

I can't help but wonder if this isn't an early sign of the writing is on the wall for major college sports?

Yes, history and tradition have been a major part of college sports and they are both disappearing/being dismantled by NIL, portal, and creation of mega-leagues.

One thing that stood out to me in the article was the possibility that the mega-conferences might start jettisoning the teams with lesser earnings and poorer W-L records. If they do, they haven't thought it through. Sure, that would supposedly leave only "big" games each week, but with no easy wins the "better" teams would start finding themselves with fewer wins and possibly everyone ending up with a so-so records. Not the mention it would be a rotten thing to boot the "lesser" teams from the conferences.

• Thumbs Up 1