Gusduck71

Is Football the Only Sport That Matters?

Good morning folks, been under-the-weather for a couple of days so I haven't commented about the current turmoil in the PAC-?. My question would be: Are the presidents and ADs only considering football? How many fans of the other sports USC/UCLA compete in will be willing to travel to the Midwest and East (Rutgers, Penn State) particularly in the winter. Gymnastics, basketball, volleyball come to mind as do the water sports.

And, of course, golf (my favorite sport). The PAC should all agree to not schedule competitions with the L.A. schools after their backstabbing the conference. Don't bail them out!

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Applause 2

Yes, football is all that matters.

Football makes millions$$$

Mens basketball makes thousands $$

Everything else is a loss

No football no water polo

• Great post! 1
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

While I think the other sports matter, yes, the presidents and ADs are considering only football (although I believe USC is somehow leaving beach volleyball in the PAC). The travel expenses for all sports will go up, and thus the non-revenue sports will cost a school more than they do now to continue them.

• Great post! 1

On 7/4/2022 at 12:07 PM, Annie said:

although I believe USC is somehow leaving beach volleyball in the PAC

No matter where Oregon ends up... I hope the Pac? bans USC/UCLA from all other sports!

• Salute 1
  • Applause 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 7/4/2022 at 12:14 PM, DUCati855 said:

No matter where Oregon ends up... I hope the Pac? bans USC/UCLA from all other sports!

It will be interesting to see if the PAC does that. But in some women's sport, such as acrobatics & tumbling, they have to scramble to find opponents as it it.

• Go Ducks! 2

Some sports may be forced back into intramural status if the expected conference cut per school isn’t what programs are expecting.

• Great post! 1

On 7/4/2022 at 12:19 PM, Washington Waddler said:

Some sports may be forced back into intramural status if the expected conference cut per school isn’t what programs are expecting.

That's certainly possible. We need a "sad" emoji.

On 7/4/2022 at 12:21 PM, Annie said:

We need a "sad" emoji.

We would be seeing that far too often!

• Thumbs Up 1

On 7/4/2022 at 12:18 PM, Annie said:

It will be interesting to see if the PAC does that. But in some women's sport, such as acrobatics & tumbling, they have to scramble to find opponents as it it.

To bad they made their bed now let them sleep in it . No PAC school should play them in anything from now on. That would stifle the poaching of schools in it's tracks.

• Thumbs Up 1

As far as paying the bills goes, yea, football is all that matters.  What is sad is that so many young disadvantaged men and women will lose their opportunity to get a college degree.

Sport changes the trajectory of so many lives. Some student athletes pull themselves out of generational poverty and create generational wealth. Generational change that started with an athletic scholarship. 

These opportunities will be lost. Why? Greed and Power. Shame!

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1