Charles Fischer

Conference Confusion: Have You Arrived at THIS?

Look....I am a muttering mass of protoplasm at times talking about this.  And I really think I've gone through the stages of grief for the Pac-12, and have come to "acceptance."

This is my own spin, the mind games I apply internally to retain sanity as an Oregon fan...

"I will make the best of whatever happens.  If we go to the B1G...then the travel sucks, we won't win as many games, but we will have more prestige and money to stay relevant for the top recruits.  If we go to the Big-Pac, then the travel sucks and it is not one of the Super-Conferences, but we have a chance to win more games and still have an impact on the national discussion."

In other words...

"It is good-or-good."  (Or I will make it that way internally)

Are you there yet?

No, I'm still not feeling quite myself yet...

giphy.gif

• Thumbs Up 1

Mr. FishDuck

GIF by Groundhog Day

Charles, just make it go away.  Sigh.  Seemed like when they got rid of Larry, there was a chance we could have corrected all this. . .  Maybe we just waited to long before we righted the ship, gave the PAC 12 CPR.  Just like the song from Tear For Fears- Mad World, smh

I keep myself sane by reminding myself that I have absolutely no control over any of it, by remembering there actually more important things in life to be concerned about (yes, really!), and I'll sleep better just keeping those two factors in mind. 🙂

• Let’s hope! 1
  • Mic drop 1
  • Great post! 3
  • Applause 4
  • Thumbs Up 4
  • Like 1

Annie, I put in an EMERGENCY phone call into my older sister who lives in Eugene and keeps me in the know of everything DUCKS, well close to everything.  She has gone silent, now I am worried.  And this was when they let go of Coach Johnson.  Sigh, lonely being in the Dark about the Ducks. . .

• Thumbs Up 1

What ever happens happens when it occurs. Nothing any of us can do about it. I'm letting go of it.

• Yikes! 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

What if ....

It is in Oregon's best interest to shed the Pac and separate itself from OSU; and

The state legislature blocks the move based upon being in the same educational system; and

Oregon then withdraws from the state system and goes private?

I think the idea of going private was tossed around a few years ago based upon less then 20% of the budget coming from the state coffers.  Well, we have an alum, or alums, who could easily foundationally fund the difference.

• Great post! 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 7/4/2022 at 12:20 PM, Steven A said:

I think the idea of going private was tossed around a few years ago based upon less then 20% of the budget coming from the state coffers.  Well, we have an alum, or alums, who could easily foundationally fund the difference.

Well, although Oregon covers 90% of its expenses and the state only 10%, the state owns the campus, buildings, etc.

• Thumbs Up 1

I'm ready for whatever... just not the status quo

I just wish they'd get on with it.

Coaching search in 2021, now this. Uncertainty only favors the Alabamas and OSUs of the world. Of which we are not. 

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Salute 1

I think the whole idea behind the super conference is to keep the very same schools that play in the playoffs, IN the playoffs. 

Meet the new boss same as the old boss.

Edited by 1Ducker1
  • Mic drop 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 7/4/2022 at 12:30 PM, 1Ducker1 said:

I think the whole idea behind the super conference is to keep the very same schools that play in the playoffs, IN the playoffs. 

Once there are two super conferences, watch as the playoffs magically open up to 16 teams. 8-4 LSU, welcome to the playoffs. 11-1 WSU, sorry. Better luck next time.

• Thumbs Up 2

On 7/4/2022 at 3:20 PM, Steven A said:

What if ....

It is in Oregon's best interest to shed the Pac and separate itself from OSU; and

The state legislature blocks the move based upon being in the same educational system; and

Oregon then withdraws from the state system and goes private?

Let's hope the politicians stay out of it. 😳 We've already have suffered enough.

• Haha 1
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

On 7/4/2022 at 12:42 PM, The Kamikaze Kid said:

Once there are two super conferences, watch as the playoffs magically open up to 16 teams. 8-4 LSU, welcome to the playoffs. 11-1 WSU, sorry. Better luck next time.

Thats why any leftover teams which could include the Ducks have to schedule a few tough OOC games--AND win them.

On 7/4/2022 at 12:43 PM, NJDuck said:

Let's hope the politicians stay out of it. 😳 We've already have suffered enough.

Like that's gonna happen.

On 7/4/2022 at 12:11 PM, Annie said:

I keep myself sane by reminding myself that I have absolutely no control over any of it, by remembering there actually more important things in life to be concerned about (yes, really!), and I'll sleep better just keeping those two factors in mind. 🙂

Can't like this attitude enough.

College football as a safe refuge from the real world has been destroyed. But, I can't do anything about it, so I'm going to try to maintain an even strain until the people who can do something about it, do something about it, whatever that something may be.

• Thumbs Up 3

If we go to the B1G...then the travel sucks, we won't win as many games, but we will have more prestige and money to stay relevant for the top recruits. 

Aren't "we won't win as many games" and "stay relevant for the top recruits" diametrically opposed?

• Applause 2

Hi everybody, my name is Washington Waddler and I’m a Duckaholic . . . (Hello Washington Waddler) . . . and I’ve now gone almost ten minutes without thinking about USC or The Big Ten (clapping)  . . . and . . . Ah Sh*t!  Did I just fall off the wagon again? (Yes, but don’t stop trying!) . . . ah, thanks, I really need the support . . .

• Haha 5
  • Applause 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

I love this forum. It just rocks. At this point for some or many we have moved past the Point of View, great Ideas and valued opinion posts.

All of which are deeply appreciated by all on this forum.

Now it has become personal. Feelings and emotions come from our core. Our very core. There are no wrong feelings. Feelings are owned by just one person and others dont know them unless the owner shares them. Thanks for sharing. .......

Charles we will all have to come to grips with the final outcome. Regardless of what that outcome will be. It certainly is upsetting but not really any force that should drive our personal bus.

If Phil Knight and other smart business people are in the room then the out come stands a better chance of being acceptable. If not, the 12 arrogant presidents got us into this mess over the last decade plus. They are not qualified to make these future decisions.  We have no control over this.

Anybody feel that the SEC/BIG havent privately met and discussed that they will be the only  2 superconferences making all the decisions. Hec they swiped 4 valuable assets from the BIG 12 and PAC 12, blindsiding everyone.

We have no control over this either.

If the ACC, AAC, BIG12, MAC, MWC and PAC dont see the value in creating 2 superconferences, sooner rather than later, then the SEC/BIG will continue to shape and control the landscape. Again we have no control over this.

What I can control is whether i turn on that TV and watch the product those in control present.  I vote with my time and my dollars. Thats what we all control.

I will love, watch and support my Ducks. Whether the PAC survives or merges with the BIG 12. Whether we go independent, join the Mountain West or build a superconference. I will watch.

I will not watch usc/Rutgers, ucla/Purdue. Texas/Vanderbilt or OU/Arkansa. Millions will not watch either. We can control that too......

The journey to the Natty will be more difficult. It is difficult for everyone now except but a few.... ucla, usc, texas and ou will not sniff that either. Unless the expanded playoffs are controlled by SEC/BIG. We cant control that either.

I do control that i can enjoy this one of a kind Forum and the Ducks....

GO DUCKS.......

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Great post! 3
  • Applause 4
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 7/4/2022 at 1:03 PM, McDuck said:

Aren't "we won't win as many games" and "stay relevant for the top recruits" diametrically opposed?

You spin it in your head as you need, as I will do in mine.  That is my fantasy, and I'm sticking to it.

• Applause 1

Mr. FishDuck

On 7/4/2022 at 1:20 PM, HappyToBeADuck said:

I will love, watch and support my Ducks. Whether the PAC survives or merges with the BIG 12. Whether we go independent, join the Mountain West or build a superconference. I will watch.

And OBD will be here no matter the outcome, to remain a GREEN REFUGE.

On 7/4/2022 at 1:20 PM, HappyToBeADuck said:

I do control that i can enjoy this one of a kind Forum and the Ducks....

Amen, Duck Brother.

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Mr. FishDuck

Why have I been sulking alone when I could've been sulking here with all of you?! 

Who knows how all of the variables will play out, at least we can commiserate when Our Beloved Ducks win & celebrate the wins! Thanks Charles.

Edited by FanGirlDuck
  • Thumbs Up 3

IMHO,  as long as the Ducks have the support necessary to pay the big NIL bucks,  We will be fine wherever!

• Great post! 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

I know one thing for sure. 

The season kicks off on Sept 3rd against our HC old team and regardless of which way the wind blows I'll be on the edge of my seat watching.

There's still two more seasons to enjoy what we have with the P12 so it's business as usual for a while.

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Thumbs Up 6

Remember, the sun will rise again

20210625_041510.thumb.jpg.6dfa46cfc41688fda82fcf23a5cde1c5.jpg

• Thumbs Up 6

Or not......975038884_54352.jpg.0a893d9ff9f80799ac475cb19fec70b1.jpg

• Oh no! 1
  • Haha 2

I see it hit the LA market. Fitting. 

• Haha 1
  • Mic drop 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

Yeah,  the impact would create a small, but noticeable, drop in air quality. 

• Haha 1

You know what?  I’m okay with the PAC-10……..I.e. the same league members retained sans USC and UCLA.  It’d still be major college football.  Who’s to say that UO, UW, COLO, UTAH, ASU, STANFORD…..can’t rise and sustain national prominence?

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Let’s hope! 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

On 7/4/2022 at 12:30 PM, 1Ducker1 said:

Great song!

Unfortunately, I feel like we're already deep into the "done been fooled again..." stage, doggonit!

With my fellow posters above, I too am grateful for a green sanctuary where us Ducks of a feather can flock together!

Go Ducks!!

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1