noDucknewby

Ruh-Roh: Big 10 Wish List

6db0cce1e9d0a3be4ec3d9622085ee9f
SPORTS.YAHOO.COM

The Big Ten reportedly has its eyes set on four additional teams for expansion

Sorry Fuskies.

UNC feels weird to me ... I know big time basketball school and rising star in football but it feels like an odd choice and there could be better ones. 

Maybe someone could answer it for me... 

Why UNC over Clemson? Or Washington? 

Well Washington isn't great in football or basketball so they are nothing more than a media market. 

I would be bummed if Oregon was not in that same conference as UW.  I love watching us whip those guys every year. 

• Thumbs Up 1

I believe Clemson is a sinch for SEC along with FSU or Miami

I would rather see Virginia vs UNC since I live fairly close to the UVA campus. 

As far as Stanford goes, them over UW makes a lot of sense just based on Stanford being Stanford, but I wonder if PK is also lobbying for Stanford over UW since he is an alum there as well...

Edited by DCDuckfan

Not seeing this as a bad thing, it seems that we may have options.  That is of course, accepting the fact that college football as we know it is dead and we need to move on 😞

Since this whole thing broke, I've been thinking Stanford would be attractive to the Big10 to help lure in ND, plus of course their academic prowess 😉 and Bay Area media market.

Unfortunately I just don't see the P12 surviving as a power conference.  Our road to the playoffs will be harder if we join the Big10, but if we don't we'll have no clout at all, just hoping that the new CFP in whatever form it emerges throws us a bone like they did to Cincinnati.

On 7/5/2022 at 6:45 AM, noDucknewby said:

... That is of course, accepting the fact that college football as we know it is dead and we need to move on 😞

Yep. It might as well be the NFL. History, tradition, regionalism--gone. Soon a loss or two or three in a season won't be such a big deal, because there will probably be a 16-team playoff, leading to a college "super bowl."

I like the differences between college football and the NFL, but soon there will not be any.

On 7/5/2022 at 6:45 AM, noDucknewby said:

Unfortunately I just don't see the P12 surviving as a power conference.  Our road to the playoffs will be harder if we join the Big10, but if we don't we'll have no clout at all, just hoping that the new CFP in whatever form it emerges throws us a bone like they did to Cincinnati.

Cincinnati was a two year campaign to make it to the playoff and on large part can thank that bizarre COVID year because they got a TON more viewership that year due to the later starts of the B1G and PAC. 

Then they retained their roster for 2021 in almost it's entirety due to the bonus year of eligibility. 

Even then Cincinnati only made the playoff because Oregon stumbled down the stretch along with other contenders. 2 losses is disqualification from the playoff. 

It’s sad that colleges have let these to media giants decide how to run their athletic departments. 

This quite probably will be the demise of college sports in over half of of the institutions across the country and most of the other half will never see a playoff game or bowl experience. 

I realize it all focuses around football and basketball but a whole lot of other sports won’t  be able to make this work. The travel expense for baseball alone could eat up most of the extra cash that football will generate.

Salaries for average coaches and assistants will skyrocket gobbling up even more of this revenue.

It all leads to the student taking the brunt of all this madness which seems incredibly unfair. A few get rich at the expense of many.😟😡

Edited by Just Ducky
  • Thumbs Up 2

On 7/5/2022 at 8:02 AM, David Marsh said:

Cincinnati was a two year campaign to make it to the playoff and on large part can thank that bizarre COVID year because they got a TON more viewership that year due to the later starts of the B1G and PAC. 

Then they retained their roster for 2021 in almost it's entirety due to the bonus year of eligibility. 

Even then Cincinnati only made the playoff because Oregon stumbled down the stretch along with other contenders. 2 losses is disqualification from the playoff. 

I guess that's the point I'm making, as a member of a lesser conference we would have to go undefeated and have a lot of other variables fall into place as happened with Cincinnati.  Not a good position to be in.  And that's assuming that the Power 2 even allow other conferences to participate in the new CFP.  An NFL-style breakaway league is probably the end game IMHO.

On 7/4/2022 at 9:53 PM, GeotechDuck said:

I would be bummed if Oregon was not in that same conference as UW.  I love watching us whip those guys every year.

We only need them until 2036 when after 13 more W's in a row, we will lead the series 61-60-5.

Gotta savor this from Wikipedia ..... Oregon beat Washington in 12 straight games from 2004–2015, the largest winning streak in the rivalry. This streak correlated with Oregon's most successful era of football and Washington's least. The Ducks went 120–36 (.769) over these 12 seasons, with two national championship game appearances, four conference titles, two Rose Bowl victories, and a Heisman Trophy winner. Meanwhile, the Huskies went 62–88 (.413) including a winless 0–12 in 2008.

• Mic drop 1