Kurt Rambis

One Thing I Know about Change...

...is that it never stops.  When college football had a strong central overseer (the NCAA), stability ruled.  How we have NIL, the transfer portal, Texas and Oklahoma to the SEC, USC and UCLA to the Big 10, etc.

And no matter what things look like in 2022 or 2024, they probably will not look like that in 2028 or 2030.  Imagine...

...the SEC realizes that Vanderbilt brings nothing to the table.  The Big 10 feels the same way about Rutgers.  Both are tossed from their leagues.

...Amazon decides to jump in to college football with both feet, and Bezos makes Knight look like a pauper.  Amazon arranges a new conference with current stepchildren like Oklahoma State and Oregon - and then steals Penn State from the Big 10, Clemson from the ACC, and LSU from the SEC.  Think they couldn't do that with their billions?

...schools start realizing that while they can pay these travel expenses for football, they can't for women's soccer and men's gymnastics.  New leagues spring up for individual sports, like they already exist in men's volleyball (Penn State plays in the same conference as Harvard and Sacred Heart; Ohio State in the same conferences as Lindenwood and Quincy; UCLA in the same conference with Pepperdine and Grand Canyon).

...the SEC gets really aggressive and steals Ohio State and Michigan from the Big 10, or the Big 10 manages to take Georgia and Missouri from the SEC.  All out war!

...Congress gets involved.  God help us all.

So no matter how things shake out this year or in 2024, don't worry - things will change.  And probably sooner rather than later.  With no overseer, it's every school and every conference for itself.  I won't be at all surprised to see Stanford or Vandy drop football entirely, WSU and OSU go to a lower division, conferences jettison schools, new conferences formed, conferences raid each other for members, lawsuits, new media players, etc.

It's just getting started...

• Yikes! 2
  • Thumbs Up 3
  • Like 1

This entire situation is a case study in why incremental reform is better than revolution every time.

The parable of Chesterton's Fence once again proves itself in the affairs of humanity.

It’s clear nobody at Fox or ESPN has read Chesterson’s Fence.

idontrollonshobbas - What an excellent analogy! I remember discussions on Chesterton's Fence years ago.

Many of the problems we face in life occur when we intervene with systems without an awareness of what the consequences could be.

This sure fits our current situation.

On 7/5/2022 at 11:44 AM, DUCKED said:

Chesterson’s Fence

My dumba**  had to look that one up.

I'm headin' over to the Fusky forum for a little bit!  5-10 minutes of reading their posts will make me feel whole again.

• Haha 2

On 7/5/2022 at 10:31 AM, Jester said:

My dumba**  had to look that one up.

I'm headin' over to the Fusky forum for a little bit!  5-10 minutes of reading their posts will make me feel whole again.

I had to look that one up too, Jester. The important thing is that you chose to educate yourself. Now stay clear of the Husky forum: You'd only kill the braincells that you just nurtured...

I was driving through Oregon States campus yesterday... I wonder what marvelous future awaits the renovated Bean Dip Memorial Colostrum, erp... Colosseum?

On 7/5/2022 at 12:39 PM, woundedknees said:

I wonder what marvelous future awaits the renovated Bean Dip Memorial Colostrum, erp... Colosseum?

I'm surprised when people think the renovation will increase seating capacity. Nope, before the current renovation the capacity was 43,363. It will hold somewhere between 35,000 and 39,000 in 2023.

Who spends $153,000,000 to reduce capacity?

On 7/5/2022 at 1:13 PM, ICamel said:

Who spends $153,000,000 to reduce capacity?

A future Mountain West school?

• Yikes! 1
  • Haha 1

On 7/5/2022 at 1:29 PM, OregonDucks said:

A future Mountain West school?

Leave it to Beaver

• Haha 1