NJDuck

Canzano: Oregon Ducks Make a Wish List, While Pac-12 Rallies Behind Scenes

According to Canzano Phil Knight apparently wants Oregon to be part of the Big Ten Conference.  Or even the SEC.

Both options are currently being explored by the Ducks with Knight's backing.  Another would be Oregon assuming a tentpole position in a blended, ESPN-backed version of the Pac 12 and Big 12.

So it seems all 3 options are still on the table as possible plans they are exploring.

https%3A%2F%2Fbucketeer-e05bbc84-baa3-43
WWW.JOHNCANZANO.COM

Ducks covet Big Ten or SEC invite.

Edited by NJDuck
  • Go Ducks! 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

There is a ton of very good information here....how much we lost when the LA schools left, why we will never partner with Boise State, and where Oregon is trying to go.  And yes...Phil is active helping us!

• Go Ducks! 1

Mr. FishDuck

I would love to see Oregon compete in the SEC week in and week out. It's what we have always wanted. To get in the ring with the best. It's what the "we want Bama" chant was all about. 

• Go Ducks! 1

Fat lady isn't even in the building.

• Haha 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

It really makes me feel some what sad for George K, as sad as you can feel for anyone making what he makes, he stepped into a terrible situation with the PAC after Larry was done with it and really hasn't had a chance to really fix things. 

Time was not on his side but you can only move so fast. Especially when left a big mess. 

• Thumbs Up 2

I'm going to make an uneducated guess that the media partner Canzano is (also) speculating on is ESPN.  Since Fox Sports is pulling away the LA market, ESPN may want to shore up more west coast media markets with the rest of the Pac12 (plus perhaps SDSU and Fresno St to have at least some penetration into Southern Cali).

If there's a new PAC with current members plus additional teams that are west of the Mississippi, I worry that all PAC games will be night games, since the mega-conferences could suck up all the day-game hours for Fox and ESPN. 

I'm very interested to learn what George has in mind.

Let's face it, the schools in the MW conference are not going to cut it as far as a new PAC goes in media market value.  SDS in the San Diego area media market value sits at 28.  UNLV, Las Vegas market value sits at 40.

I still believe getting into the Big 10 or SEC is the best scenario for Oregon.  Hopefully with Knight's influence could make it happen.  If not the Big 10 or SEC, it's better to combine with the Big 12.

Not sure what George has in mind that will make the PAC relevant.  But like OregonDucks said, it would be interesting to see what he comes up with.

On 7/5/2022 at 10:32 AM, Steven A said:

Fat lady isn't even in the building.

You are the KING of OBD one-liners!

Mr. FishDuck

Regardless of where we go doesnt mean we will get a great SOS in the first years. What if we play Rutgers, Indiana, Maryland. Illinois, Nebraska, Washington(maybe), Iowa,  Northwestern, Purdue, Minnesota, Maybe a win over Wisconsin but a loss to Penn St?? I that going to beat out tOSu-Michigan St or Michi???

To me it's not media market as much as it's the recruiting footprint of SD St and Fresno State. It keeps us in SoCal.

We've done OK without all the money that the other leagues have had in the past and will do so in the future if we win.

Our NIL will help us with some top recruits. The lifestyle of Eugene will help us with some top recruits. And just the fact there is more talent then just SEC and B1G teams can have. I just don't see it as a problem.

I also believe we can increase eyeballs and viewers by marketing ourselves as the true amateur CFB that value tradition and scholar athletes vrs the minors for the pros of the big money driven super conferences.

I believe Americans are looking for a change and this could be one of the opportunities.  The PAC still has large markets i.e. Seattle, Portland, Phoenix, Salt Lake City, Denver, (San Diego and Las Vegas).

We need to get those communities more involved. And I believe we can if we appeal to the fight against the tearing up of our beloved traditional amateur CFB by big money TV networks.

What say you?

• Thumbs Up 1