kirklandduck

Big12 Trying to Take SIX Pac12 Teams?

a4e577442a8dd3522eeb26c35b176bcd
WWW.YAHOO.COM

It appears the Big 12 is not done with expansion.

At this point it's just impossible to tell if these are just rumors and gossip so I'm treating it as such. 

This article states that the Big12 is in significant talks to bring in Arizona, Arizona State, Colorado, Oregon, Washington, and Utah.  It's not saying that the Big12 is talking directly to these schools, they may be just internal discussions within its' board of directors.  

That being said, this could hint at a possible Pac12/Big12 merger in some form as discussed in other threads.  Other rumors had only the first four teams being discussed to try and jump ship to the Big12 but this is the first time I've heard Oregon and Washington being talked about by Big12 brass.

Edited by kirklandduck

The three schools that seem to be constant losers in all these discussions are Oregon State, Washington State and Cal... But I suppose the mountain west is there but that comes with an INSANE paycut. 

In the canzano article today he said Boise state gets about 4 mil in media rights money... That's nothing compared to even the amount the PAC pays out. 

Those three schools really are in trouble. 

Oregon will survive to varying degrees of decent to good. Not the case with our north west brethren. 

On 7/5/2022 at 12:11 PM, David Marsh said:

The three schools that seem to be constant losers in all these discussions are Oregon State, Washington State and Cal... But I suppose the mountain west is there but that comes with an INSANE paycut. 

In the canzano article today he said Boise state gets about 4 mil in media rights money... That's nothing compared to even the amount the PAC pays out. 

Those three schools really are in trouble. 

Oregon will survive to varying degrees of decent to good. Not the case with our north west brethren. 

Yeah I hear that.  OSU and WSU are just stuck in really small markets and very little success on the field.  Cal has some of the SF market but the school's support of its' football program has always been lukewarm.  I don't see any of them surviving in any scenario other than a Pac12/Big12 merger...

Too bad for Cal.  Memorial Stadium in Berkeley is one of the best places to watch college football.  Get off BART, walk up the hill to Pappy's for a beer, then on to the stadium.  I've visited there many times. The problem is that the Bay Area is fixated on the NFL and doesn't support college football in a significant way. 

It looks as though Cal, OSU and WSU will be relegated to Mountain West status soon.  It must be rough to be fans or alums from those schools and watch all this transpire. 

On 7/5/2022 at 1:29 PM, TexasDuck said:

Too bad for Cal.  Memorial Stadium in Berkeley is one of the best places to watch college football.  Get off BART, walk up the hill to Pappy's for a beer, then on to the stadium.  I've visited there many times. The problem is that the Bay Area is fixated on the NFL and doesn't support college football in a significant way. 

It looks as though Cal, OSU and WSU will be relegated to Mountain West status soon.  It must be rough to be fans or alums from those schools and watch all this transpire. 

How do they pay off a $300+ million stadium renovation?

I've seen everything from the Big 12 picking off 4-6 schools to a complete merger with the remaining Pac schools.

My preference would still be an ACC and Pac- merger or formal alliance, with ESPN's backing.  The top teams from the ACC (e.g., Clemson, Miami, Florida State) are better than those of the Big 12. 

------------------------------------------

"The conference could explore an alliance — this one legally binding — with the ACC to create a bicoastal super-league that would serve as a counterweight to the SEC and Big Ten.

"I can tell you the presidents of each league would love to be academically aligned with the other,'' a source noted.

The merger would combine the best football brands not accounted for (Washington, Oregon, Clemson, Miami and Florida State) and relegate the Big 12 to permanent third-class status.

When asked about the travel demands, the source pointed to USC and UCLA joining the Big Ten and said, "That doesn't seem to matter anymore."

Why would the ACC agree?

It might not. After all, the ACC currently possesses more stability than either the Big 12 or Pac-12 because its members have bound their media rights to the conference until 2036.

But because of that lengthy grant-of-rights deal, the ACC cannot increase its media rights package without restructuring.

A merger with the Pac-12 would open the door to additional revenue.

Would it be enough?

That's a question — one of many — for ESPN."

responsive_story_lg
WWW.KSL.COM

ESPN likely to be the driving force behind the conference's next move.

• Thumbs Up 1

I think this is a worst case scenario and only an option if the B1G doesn't take Oregon.  This deal would be to salvage money lost with USC/UCLA leaving whereas joining the B1G should be an increase in revenue annually.  Oregon needs to go to the B1G or SEC (not likely) to remain top tier.  Anything else ends the dream of a natty. 

Oregon would suddenly becomes a stepping stone program for DL and any other coaches on his staff and recruiting will take a major hit almost immediately.

I like the idea of an ACC/Pac10 alliance, it sounds like it would keep both intact with a few more crossover games.  Joining the Big12 feels like taking your cousin to prom.  The B1G would be most lucrative but I'm still kinda meh on the idea... I don't see Oregon joining the SEC.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 7/5/2022 at 4:13 PM, deschutesduck said:

I like the idea of an ACC/Pac10 alliance, it sounds like it would keep both intact with a few more crossover games. 

Miami vs. Oregon?

• Go Ducks! 1

On 7/5/2022 at 5:04 PM, OregonDucks said:

Miami vs. Oregon?

Yes please 😃

• Go Ducks! 1

On 7/5/2022 at 5:04 PM, OregonDucks said:

Miami vs. Oregon?

Cristobal's slow, plodding "power" run offense vs Lanning's chaos-factor Georgia style defense?  Someone pop some popcorn and get ready to laugh hard!

• Haha 1

On 7/5/2022 at 6:14 PM, kirklandduck said:

Cristobal's slow, plodding "power" run offense vs Lanning's chaos-factor Georgia style defense?  Someone pop some popcorn and get ready to laugh hard!

Don't forget about Cristobal's in-game management/decisions.  Should Oregon give Miami some points to make the game fair?

• Haha 3

On 7/5/2022 at 4:40 PM, DCDuckfan said:

I think this is a worst case scenario and only an option if the B1G doesn't take Oregon.  This deal would be to salvage money lost with USC/UCLA leaving whereas joining the B1G should be an increase in revenue annually.  Oregon needs to go to the B1G or SEC (not likely) to remain top tier.  Anything else ends the dream of a natty. 

Oregon would suddenly becomes a stepping stone program for DL and any other coaches on his staff and recruiting will take a major hit almost immediately.

The way I've thought about this possibility is it's about survival. Staying, at least, moderately relevant and having access to the playoffs.

Even if it's until 2036 when the ACC GOR ends at which point there would be another reshuffle either to the BIG and SEC or the cream of the crop from the PAC/Big12 and ACC forming a 3rd mega conference. 

Until then this may be the best option. 

I blame the college presidents....they always refused to give up the bowl games which stifled an expanded play off format which limited any playoff hopes to eight maybe ten teams annually thereby allowing the "haves" to dominate recruiting.....the playoffs always needed to be 16 teams with the top eight bowls hosting the first round.....with five big conferences they could have bagged the conference championships and given each conference two automatic berths with six at large....this way everybody is in play. 

The other mistake that was made was allowing the power schools to play non-conference patsies....why would they not want to? Again, a four team playoff format and a loss up front could end your season....the non-conference schedule should have been made up of teams from the other four power conferences or the independent Notre Dame. Not sure how this turns out but I'll always believe it could have been avoided.

• Applause 2