OregonDucks

Pac-12 Eyeing "Loose Partnership" with ACC

Canzano and some others indicate that the Pac-12 is eyeing a "loose partnership" with the ACC.

"What would a “loose partnership” with the ACC look like? It could include a shared media rights deal with ESPN, who currently works with both entities. Also, it could result in the 10 remaining Pac-12 teams sticking together and the winner of that “10-team division” playing in an ACC vs. Pac-12 championship game in Las Vegas at the end of the season. Also, there could be some attractive regular-season crossover games between the entities in football and men’s basketball."

https%3A%2F%2Fbucketeer-e05bbc84-baa3-43
WWW.JOHNCANZANO.COM

Source: CEO Group is plotting.

Personally I'm thinking maybe the Pac12, Big12, and ACC should merge into the biggest super conference and beat the Big10/SEC at their own game.  Go big or go home.

• Applause 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 7/5/2022 at 3:56 PM, kirklandduck said:

Personally I'm thinking maybe the Pac12, Big12, and ACC should merge into the biggest super conference and beat the Big10/SEC at their own game.  Go big or go home.

Another article linked below, lists out the options:

1) Join the B1G (author thinks this will only happen if Notre Dame accepts)

2) Merge or form partnership with ACC

3) Merge or form partnership with Big-12

4) Form a super conferences with top teams from Pac, ACC, Big-12 (least likely given complexity but might be the best option, other than #1)

Oregon-football-1.jpg
WWW.ON3.COM

The Pac-12 is no longer as we've known it. Now what's ahead for Oregon and how is Notre Dame the key to a decision?

Good article and reinforces what I think about a triple conference merger.  It's harder to do but results in a much more bullet-proof entity with a lot of negotiating power with ESPN/Fox Sports/etc.

• Thumbs Up 1

Not going to work the ACC will get raided and then the Pac 12 would be screwed again

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 7/5/2022 at 7:03 PM, OregonDucks said:

Another article linked below, lists out the options:

1) Join the B1G (author thinks this will only happen if Notre Dame accepts)

2) Merge or form partnership with ACC

3) Merge or form partnership with Big-12

4) Form a super conferences with top teams from Pac, ACC, Big-12 (least likely given complexity but might be the best option, other than #1)

Agree!  Other than #1, really would love to see option #4 happen.

On 7/5/2022 at 4:16 PM, curtisd316 said:

Not going to work the ACC will get raided and then the Pac 12 would be screwed again

I believe that the ACC TV agreement with ESPN runs through 2036, and there are significant buyouts for the schools before then.  The Pac could structure its TV deal on the same timeline.

Edited by OregonDucks
correction

On 7/5/2022 at 7:26 PM, OregonDucks said:

I believe that the ACC TV agreement with ESPN runs through 2036, and there are significant buyouts for the schools before then.  The Pac could structure its TV deal on the same timeline.

Your payout is not going to be good as it would in a strengthened Big 12 and having a partnership, alliance whatever you wanna call it will just end the same way as it just did the ACC has a huge target on their backs and will be raided anytime now

• Applause 1

On 7/5/2022 at 4:39 PM, curtisd316 said:

Your payout is not going to be good as it would in a strengthened Big 12 and having a partnership, alliance whatever you wanna call it will just end the same way as it just did the ACC has a huge target on their backs and will be raided anytime now

Unless we join the B1G or SEC, Oregon will be at a disadvantage in terms of TV contract revenues.

IMO, the top of the ACC is better than the top of the Big-12.  Clemson and Florida State have both won national championships recently.  It would be in Oregon's best interest to align and play against the top ACC programs for a combined conference/alliance championship game.  The winner of that game would have a strong case to be included in the college football playoff.  Oregon may need to drop some sports programs and donors/fans would need to step up to make up for the gap in TV agreement to keep football competitive.

As I have mentioned in other posts, my #1 preference would be for the top teams in the ACC, Big-12 and Pac-10 to merge into a super conference to compete against the B1G and SEC; however, this may be most complex option.  An alliance with the ACC would be another good option, assuming that the B1G is not interested in adding Oregon, at this time.

Edited by OregonDucks

On 7/5/2022 at 8:02 PM, OregonDucks said:

Unless we join the B1G or SEC, Oregon will be at a disadvantage in terms of TV contract revenues.

IMO, the top of the ACC is better than the top of the Big-12.  Clemson and Florida State have both won national championships recently.  In my opinion, it would be in Oregon's best interest to align and play against the top ACC programs for a combined conference/alliance championship game.  The winner of that game would have a strong case to be included in the college football playoff.  Oregon may need to drop some sports programs and donors/fans would need to step up to make up for the gap in TV agreement to keep football competitive.

As I have mentioned in other posts, my #1 preference would be for the top teams in the ACC, Big-12 and Pac-10 to merge into a super conference to compete against the B1G and SEC; however, this may be most complex option.  An alliance with the ACC would be another good option, assuming that the B1G is not interested in adding Oregon, at this time.

All you would be is in a partnership with the ACC they cannot renegotiate their contract with another conference that's not how it works it makes very little sense to try and get another Pac 12 TV deal that would be pretty small which would blow up once the SEC and Big 10 raids the ACC

On 7/5/2022 at 5:12 PM, curtisd316 said:

All you would be is in a partnership with the ACC they cannot renegotiate their contract with another conference that's not how it works it makes very little sense to try and get another Pac 12 TV deal that would be pretty small which would blow up once the SEC and Big 10 raids the ACC

That's fine with me, if it could keep Oregon relevant on the national stage until the B1G and SEC are ready to expand.  Just make sure that there is an out for programs, if there is further conference re-alignment. 

A combined Pac/Big-12 is likely the 4th best conference after the SEC, B1G and ACC.  Going undefeated in that conference would not guarantee a spot in the 4-team playoff. 

On 7/5/2022 at 8:24 PM, OregonDucks said:

That's fine with me, if it could keep Oregon relevant on the national stage until the B1G and SEC are ready to expand.  Just make sure that there is an out for programs, if there is further conference re-alignment. 

A combined Pac/Big-12 is likely the 4th best conference after the SEC, B1G and ACC.  Going undefeated in that conference would not guarantee a spot in the 4-team playoff. 

lol no the Big 12 with added Pac 12 teams is clearly way ahead of the ACC

• Thumbs Up 1

On 7/5/2022 at 5:28 PM, curtisd316 said:

lol no the Big 12 with added Pac 12 teams is clearly way ahead of the ACC

Name the team(s) in the combined Big 12 and Pac 12 who have won a college football championship since the college football playoff era.

On 7/5/2022 at 8:30 PM, OregonDucks said:

Name the team(s) in the combined Big 12 and Pac 12 who have won a college football championship since the college football playoff era.

That has nothing to do with anything with whats going on now and the future

On 7/5/2022 at 5:12 PM, curtisd316 said:

I can’t imagine any deal involving the ACC omitting the dissolution of their current deal with ESPN.  ESPN might be willing to do this because they can make more money and ensure the B1G (Fox) doesn’t have the best west coast brands

The ACC won’t get raided in a vacuum (Oregon would be part of any such movement). 

My take on this is that it is all about brands not geography per se.  I also think there two more primary iterations on realignment.  Whatever happens to the ACC will be the first.  Thereafter I believe however many super leagues are left merge, discarding the deadweight brands to get down to a number akin to the NFL’s.  

Does anyone think Northwestern is more valuable an asset than Oregon or UW?  They get paid because of having the good fortune of being in the B1G before all of this craziness started.  The real payout comes from optimizing the number of valuable brands relative to geographic footprint that ensures national interest.  

Oregon isn’t dilutive.  Purdue and/or Indiana is (especially when you consider the Dallas Cowboys of CF, Notre Dame, will be in the fold).  Rutgers.  Maryland.  And so on.  You could get the SEC and B1G down to 16 major brands each which is effectively your AFC and NFC

Long way of saying, a deal that involves pooling the best brands of the PAC and ACC isn’t death given there will be one more turn of the crank in my view

Edited by CalBear95

On 7/5/2022 at 5:33 PM, curtisd316 said:

That has nothing to do with anything with whats going on now and the future

It does for Oregon and our national championship aspirations.  Would Oregon get more credit for beating Cincinnati/Baylor or Clemson at the end of the year? 

Edited by OregonDucks

Again, my preferred would be the formation of a 3rd super conference with the best teams from the ACC, Big-12 and PAC.

Oregon
Washington
Stanford
Utah
Baylor
West Virginia
OK State
FSU
Clemson
Miami
VA tech
Louisville

+ Some of the basketball schools (UNC, Duke, Kansas)?

However, given the complexities, I’m not sure that this will be possible. 

Loose partnership does not sound all the good to me.

On 7/5/2022 at 8:35 PM, 1Ducker1 said:

Loose partnership does not sound all that good to me.

On 7/5/2022 at 5:56 PM, kirklandduck said:

My only issue with this is if we could pull it off. My concern would be that Clemson, Miami, North Carolina and Florida State would run off to the SEC/BIG first chance they got b/c it would still be seen as an "upgrade" over the PIGCC conference that was cobbled together...

• Applause 1

Maybe I am wrong. Seems to me that the Wall Street Journal Value should be used as a indicator of what schools should be together to fight off the BIG/SEC.