FishDuck Article

Will Ducks See Transfer Eli’jah Winston in Green-Yellow and Get the Last Laugh at USC?

We have a new FishDuck writer—please welcome DazeNconfused!

Elijah-Winston_USC-Athletics-John-McGill
FISHDUCK.COM

Ducks fans haven't forgotten the body punch feeling when USC flipped 4-star Central Catholic linebacker Eli'jah Winston the 11th...

• Thumbs Up 1

Two Sites: FishDuck and the Our Beloved Ducks forum, The only "Forum with Decorum!" And All-Volunteer? What a wonderful community of Duck fans!

I'm doubting he'd want to spend his last year in college football backing up a star, and it's not like he's going to start over Sewell.  If he's smart, he goes someplace where there's a need and a ready opportunity.  

If he were transferring as a sophomore, I could definitely see this.  Not as a fifth-year senior.

Let me start this by saying I LOVE that we're a family school. Whether it's Winston's, Mariota's, Herbert's, Cota's etc, I love that families entrust us with their young men and women! These players see their older siblings come here and they see the experience they had and want to participate in that as well. For me, that's PRICELESS!

However, in this instance I find myself on the other side of the fence. In truth, I should want what's best for the team period and if that means Eli'jah transferring in, I'd begrudgingly support that.

However, I remember just a few years ago when Noah Sewell signed and we flipped Flowe at the 11th hour.  When that happened, they gave Jackson LaDuke the option to withdraw his commitment and he refused. He WANTED to be a Duck and even though he was a blue-chip 4 star that could have gone plenty of other places and probably gotten more playing time, he chose to stay and back up/challenge the 2 best LB's in the class. That's how much he believed in our program and how much he wanted to be here, and for that reason alone I'd prefer to keep him and let Winston finish his career elsewhere.

• Applause 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 7/6/2022 at 5:46 AM, Wrathis said:

However, I remember just a few years ago when Noah Sewell signed and we flipped Flowe at the 11th hour.  When that happened, they gave Jackson LaDuke the option to withdraw his commitment and he refused. He WANTED to be a Duck and even though he was a blue-chip 4 star that could have gone plenty of other places and probably gotten more playing time, he chose to stay and back up/challenge the 2 best LB's in the class. That's how much he believed in our program and how much he wanted to be here, and for that reason alone I'd prefer to keep him and let Winston finish his career elsewhere.

I agree with the above.  Kelly Graves decided a one year rental driving off a promising underclassman isn't a good way to build a cohesive, consistent program and I believe the same holds true for football.

On 7/6/2022 at 3:16 AM, Kurt Rambis said:

I'm doubting he'd want to spend his last year in college football backing up a star, and it's not like he's going to start over Sewell.  If he's smart, he goes someplace where there's a need and a ready opportunity.  

If he were transferring as a sophomore, I could definitely see this.  Not as a fifth-year senior.

USC brought in transfer line backers Shane Lee from Bama and Eric Gentry from ASU and want to go with the youth inside for their rebuild on defense.

USC moved Winton to rush edge this spring where he was 3rd on the depth chart behind 5-star Corey Foreman the former #1 edge in his class, and Auburn transfer Romello Height.

I believe Winston took official visits to UCLA and Cal.

UCLA has two senior and one junior at inside linebacker.

Cal's DC Perter Sirmon's son Jackson Sirmon transferred in from UW for his senior year and is #1 on the depth chart at inside linebacker, with two other juniors.

In short Eli'jah doesn't have a bunch of good options to transfer into a starting spot at this point. 

Coming to Oregon and being a backup inside linebacker might be his best route, and he could also provide depth behind Swinson in case he gets banged up. 

Edited by DazeNconfused

On 7/6/2022 at 5:46 AM, Wrathis said:

Let me start this by saying I LOVE that we're a family school. Whether it's Winston's, Mariota's, Herbert's, Cota's etc, I love that families entrust us with their young men and women! These players see their older siblings come here and they see the experience they had and want to participate in that as well. For me, that's PRICELESS!

However, in this instance I find myself on the other side of the fence. In truth, I should want what's best for the team period and if that means Eli'jah transferring in, I'd begrudgingly support that.

On 7/6/2022 at 6:24 AM, McDuck said:

I agree with the above.  Kelly Graves decided a one year rental driving off a promising underclassman isn't a good way to build a cohesive, consistent program and I believe the same holds true for football.

Watch this video and see if you change your mind about him coming to Oregon. I don't see Eli'jah as a person who is going to upset the locker room, some current Ducks played with his older brother, and his little brother is an incoming freshman.

Edited by DazeNconfused

let him go elsewhere.  

If he wants to come to Oregon sure but I'd be as a reserve. 

If he wants to play and start he'll need to go elsewhere. If he knows his career won't be continuing to the NFL and he wants to be with his brother and be in Oregon then great. 

He could see the field but unlikely as a starter. 

Aren't we still over the player limit? If there is a spot open and a need, then ok.

However, I would hate to see someone having to leave to give this guy a roster spot.

School loyalty is a good thing.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 7/6/2022 at 2:36 PM, DazeNconfused said:

In short Eli'jah doesn't have a bunch of good options to transfer into a starting spot at this point. 

Coming to Oregon and being a backup inside linebacker might be his best route, and he could also provide depth behind Swinson in case he gets banged up. 

Gonna respectfully disagree, Daze.  Playing time will trump everything else when it comes to the opportunity to get drafted, even in a lower round.  How many big school backups have we seen drafted, versus how many kids who did really well at smaller schools (e.g. New Mexico, Western Michigan, LA Tech)?

If Winston had put out a lot of film already and wanted to finish up at Oregon, that might be one thing - but he really has little playing time so far.  I would think transferring to UNLV or Bowling Green and being a stand-out starter putting out a lot of film would give him a much better chance than playing 10% of the snaps at a school like Oregon.  I would also think a rebuilding program like Arizona would be excited to have him, and he'd have a much better chance of starting there than in Eugene.

LaDuke is a stud athlete who, once he gets healthy, is going to be an impact MLB.  There’s no way Winston would ‘quickly jump’ LaDuke.  The better choice for him would be OSU.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 7/6/2022 at 8:30 AM, Kurt Rambis said:

Gonna respectfully disagree, Daze.  Playing time will trump everything else when it comes to the opportunity to get drafted, even in a lower round.  How many big school backups have we seen drafted, versus how many kids who did really well at smaller schools (e.g. New Mexico, Western Michigan, LA Tech)?

If Winston had put out a lot of film already and wanted to finish up at Oregon, that might be one thing - but he really has little playing time so far.  I would think transferring to UNLV or Bowling Green and being a stand-out starter putting out a lot of film would give him a much better chance than playing 10% of the snaps at a school like Oregon.  I would also think a rebuilding program like Arizona would be excited to have him, and he'd have a much better chance of starting there than in Eugene.

Eli'jah's career has pretty much been a Bust so far due to injuries. He has played in parts of like 10 games in 4 years. If he still has NFL dreams, he if a LONG shot. I agree is he wants a shot at the NFL he would be better off to go to a smaller school and build up his game film.

But he would have to have 100 tackles this year to make it on the radar of even being considered late draft pick, but he isn't NFL draft pick fast for an inside backer. Best Winston would get is an offer as an undrafted free agent contract. There are only 7 rounds and 234 kids drafted and Winston was rated #364 in his calls, the lowest of 4-stars.

I think for Winston in his last year it's a choice of having one more year to have fun playing football. Does he go back to USC as a backup where he has relationships with his teammates? Does he come to Oregon if they have a spot for him, play the backup close to home with his brother. Or does he go to an entirely new situation that he gets substantial playing time?

I think if there's a spot, he comes to Oregon to be close to home and play with his little brother. He can for sure contribute here as a backup and we usually get medical retirement or two before fall camp starts. 

Edited by DazeNconfused

This is a great start for DazeNconfused, and you can look to many more articles from him in the near future.  Great to have him as a FishDuck writer--welcome!

giphy.gif

Mr. FishDuck

On 7/6/2022 at 9:02 AM, Orebcker said:

LaDuke is a stud athlete who, once he gets healthy, is going to be an impact MLB.  There’s no way Winston would ‘quickly jump’ LaDuke.  The better choice for him would be OSU.

Laduke was a 3-star on the 247 composite. He was lower rated than Winston and Winston played 6 games his redshirt freshman year at USC around a turf toe

I have concerns about LaDuke's. He's raw, his reads and footwork in pass coverage need work and seem to be the weakest of the MLB group by far.

Watch the first play in the video of this FishDuck article I linked. Watch LaDuke next to Bassa at MLB and see how slow LaDuke reads the play. He misses the play fake and keeps coming in, it's not until Bo Nix finishes his drop back to pass that LaDuke puts his foot in the ground and starts his drop at the 4 second mark. Bassa does it right and LaDuke has an extremely poor Rep. 

LaDuke can't stay on the field with reps like that, Basa and most likely Brown will jump him. Hopefully LaDuke proves me wrong and improves his reads and footwork, but right now I rate LaDuke as a downhill gap filling guy and weak in pass cover.

EDIT: I'm not hating on LaDuke, I respect the kid. He has busted tail to bulk since he got here!  I like taking a project kid that is willing to bust tail. The fact is LaDuke is from Sparks Nevada in 4A football. Winston went to Central Catholic Portland with a solid coaching staff and better competition. Plus, LaDuke didn't have all the 7 on 7 camp time that Brown did and Bassa is a converted safety. I hope LaDuke becomes an impact guy, but he has a longer road to develop into that type of college players than the others.

Bo-Nix-to-Seven-McGee-TD-in-2022-Spring-
FISHDUCK.COM

Oregon Offensive Coordinator Kenny Dillingham has explained how he prefers a fast-tempo offense and in particular—taking advantage of one-on-one matchups that...

Edited by DazeNconfused
  • Thumbs Up 2

Oregon Footballs foundation was built on the backs of 3 star athletes with potential.  Oregon's coaching staff had a long history of coaching up those athletes.  While Oregon will have had two Winstons join the Ducks, one Winston chose his own path and journey.  Commitment should mean something.

It seems the consensus is that Duck fans are fiercely loyal and protective of their players that have been loyal to them.

I don't remember there being as many concerns for Chase Cota possibly taking playing snaps from a player already on the roster when he transferred, and he was a legacy player that spurned Oregon for Chip Kelly and UCLA. 

I understand Eli'jah was a commit that that didn't stay loyal to that commitment, so there is some difference. 

I can see both sides of the issue, but I don't begrudge at 18-year-old who just had the head coach in Taggart leave changing his mind and not deciding he not to come play for Cristobal. 

My impression watching the video I posted in the thread is that Mom and Dad Winston raised these kids up right, and they are humble and grateful kids. We are lucky to have two of the Winston boys be Ducks.

Edited by DazeNconfused

On 7/6/2022 at 3:21 PM, DazeNconfused said:

I don't remember there being as many concerns for Chase Cota possibly taking playing snaps from a player already on the roster when he transferred, and he was a legacy player that spurned Oregon for Chip Kelly and UCLA.

This specific case has less to do with Winston and more to do with my own personal loyalty to LaDuke based solely on his loyalty and integrity/behavior.

• Thumbs Up 1

The players and coaches determine who plays. If Winston were to beat out LaDuke it makes us a better team. That's what competition is and should determine it. Feelings shouldn't enter into it. Other than the rooting for the players we align with.

On 7/6/2022 at 1:21 PM, DazeNconfused said:

It seems the consensus is that Duck fans are fiercely loyal and protective of their players that have been loyal to them.

I see the response to the Winston speculation as very similar to Cota.  Quotes from a thread when Cota entered the portal

I was really disappointed when he chose UCLA over Oregon.  Now, looking strictly at production he had 18 receptions for 286 yards last season as a third year player.  With limited scholarships I hope they recruit someone a bit more dynamic.

Hard Pass.  He had his chance, and we do not have the scholarships to spare.

Agreed. I’ve watched him for 4 years at UCLA and he is just an average pac12 receiver. Respect his family and wish him the best, but we can find a better receiver in the portal than Chase.

After he committed to Oregon

Meh.

Agreed. Perhaps a political move for future Oregon HS recruits

Cota is ok... the guy CAN play. He is a local kid so welcome.

While I'm glad he's finishing his career at Oregon, I'm not head over heels excited. He's proven to have a limited ceiling and has similar stats as Brendan Schooner... he'll be a veteran presence to maybe teach the younger some things but I don't expect him to start or put up any record breaking numbers.

I think it's a great pickup to build depth.

Watching the spring game Cota reminded me of J Mahle than Schooner. I believe he will be the goto WR when we need a first down.

• Great post! 1

Cota had a good Spring game, but it was against a bunch of guys in a new defense who were 2nd and 3rd string last season. He still ran good routes and caught the ball well. Let’s see if it translates to the regular season. The jury is still out.

As far as Winston goes, I’ll say the same thing I said about Cota when he hit the portal. He should be offered the opportunity to walk on. He hasn’t done anything at his past school to deserve a scholarship at Oregon.

Edited by DrJacksPlaidPants