McDawg

Georgia Fan: 'Tell Me More About The Ducks'

I am an unabashed dyed in the wool Georgia Bulldawg.  As the saying goes here; "Georgia born, Georgia bred, and when I'm gone by god, I'llGeorgia dead." But I joined this forum to learn a little more about the Ducks and tell you a little more about us. I have always kind of enjoyed watching the Ducks when the opportunity presented itself but I really don't know much about you other than the many uniforms; I love the all green. My sons HS team colors were green and white and when they chose 'green on green' it was referred to as the pickle suit. OK...I digress.

I and a lot of other Dawgs would like to know more about you.  Who is your truly most hated rival? Washington or Oregon State? Who is the next most loathed? Your worst heartbreak? UGA fans have plenty of those!  Your favorite wins?  That is what I want to hear.  And please, as us those questions too!  We would love to tell you about Awebarn turning on the sprinklers on us! Or how much we love the greatest radio man of all time, Larry Munson! 

Not so much as to talk about this game, but to know who the Oregon Ducks are, to learn about your traditions...the deep rooted ones.  The history of "the Duck" ...Y'all are on the extreme opposite end of the country from us and as different as night and day, but football is the language we can both speak.  

• Go Ducks! 2

Howdy McDawg. To help get caught up to speed, the proper term for Oregon State is 'Little Brother". The proper term for Washington is fuskies as in "Huck the Fuskies!". Which brings us to both our favorite win and favorite phrase, Kenny Wheaton's gonna score! This one play in one game in 1994, completely altered the trajectories of both programs to this day.

• Applause 2
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 1

I agree completely with Kamikaze Kid, we don't hate the Beavs, in fact it is a bit like Wally and Theodore.

image.jpeg.e766af7877c7c05038d659358e5b54c3.jpeg

The hatred is reserved for the Mongrels, Fuskies, purple splotch on humanity, up north, though recently, USC has been the target of our vitriol; in part of their actions, and of course because Washington hasn't really been worth the attention.

image.jpeg.40e3d96f40ab52d10fc6fe866fbe708a.jpeg

• Thumbs Up 1

Most of us root for Little Brother except late November. Fusky is hated at levels most would seek professional help from.

It Started with Washington voting against the Ducks for conference title in the 40's. Fusky also convinced Montana to vote against Ducks. Gave Cal the title. 

Look up anything Neuheisel. The most hated man in history of the rivalry. 

For fun, go re-watch Animal House.

• Thumbs Up 1

Huskies fans are pretentious. They generally tout themselves as conference champion favorites before every season. Then reality hits them right square in the nose. 

Oregon State fans pretty much hate on the Ducks, and for the most part we kind of hate them back. Personally, I  NEVER have considered a bark gnawing rodent as a little brother. 

There was the time the the Ducks were snubbed by the BCS system in 2001. The computers put Neb in championship game over the ducks. Every human poll had the Ducks as #2 team in the nation.

I am not saying OBD would have beaten that Miami team. That team was crazy good. Would have liked to have had a shot though.

Probably the most frustrating moment as a Duck fan for me.

• Go Ducks! 1

Hate the Huskies. Pity the Beavers.

Just a  few memorable plays in Ducks history:

1) 1994- Kenny Wheaton's pick. As pointed out changed trajectories for both the Duck's and the purple team from up north.

2) 2007- Dennis Dixon's knee injury with the Duck's ranked #2.

3) 2011- Auburn NCG... Dryer's knee was down!

4) 2014- Kansas State fans jaw drop as De"Anthony returns opening kick.

5) 2015- Florida State (playoff game) Jamis Winston's fumble for touch down. Couldn't happened to a more deserving player. 

• Applause 2

This was a 4th down play at the goal line just before halftime that was stuffed in the National Championship game of 2010.  Had he gone outside as the play was designed for--we score and change the game.  He went inside...(orange line)

And if the QB pulled and went left--I think he would have scored as well.  The coaches can draw up the play, but the players need to execute.  (And Dyer was down)

Barner should have gone to the pylon_Video.jpg

• Wow 1

Mr. FishDuck

On 7/6/2022 at 11:11 AM, The Kamikaze Kid said:

Howdy McDawg. To help get caught up to speed, the proper term for Oregon State is 'Little Brother". The proper term for Washington is fuskies as in "Huck the Fuskies!". Which brings us to both our favorite win and favorite phrase, Kenny Wheaton's gonna score! This one play in one game in 1994, completely altered the trajectories of both programs to this day.

That's my favorite win, but my second-favorite win is the Ducks beating the longhorns when Oregon played Texas in the 2000 Holiday Bowl. 95% of the Texans were insufferable, so sure they were going to win. But the Ducks beat them 35-30 with Joey Harrington throwing for a touch down, running for a touchdown and catching a pass for a touchdown.

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Like 1

On 7/6/2022 at 1:06 PM, Charles Fischer said:

(And Dyer was down)

And the Cliff Harris interception was good!

• Like 1

On 7/6/2022 at 1:35 PM, DUCati855 said:

1) 1994- Kenny Wheaton's pick. As pointed out changed trajectories for both the Duck's and the purple team from up north.

5) 2015- Florida State (playoff game) Jamis Winston's fumble for touch down. Couldn't happened to a more deserving player. 

I would add the Oregon-Michigan game we played in Ann Arbor when we completely dominated the Wolverines. So many good plays there, but my favorite was the fake handoff that allowed Dixon to walk into the endzone without being touched. Lloyd Carr's days were numbered after that.

• Thumbs Up 2

Welcome McDawg!

Since you asked,  did a little research and put together a bit of history surrounding our mascot.  "Oregon teams were originally known as Webfoots started around the 1890s. Ducks, with their webbed feet, began to be associated with Oregon's teams in the 1920s, and live duck mascots were adopted to represent the team.  White duck named "Puddles" began to appear at sports events."

"Beginning in 1940, cartoon drawings of Puddles in student publications began to resemble Donald Duck, and by 1947, Walt Disney was aware of the issue.  Oregon athletic director, Leo Harris capitalized on his friendship with Disney cartoonist Mike Royer, met Disney and reached an informal handshake agreement that granted Oregon permission to use Donald as its sports mascot, naming him Donald Duck."

"Disney lawyers later questioned the agreement in the 1970s. but Oregon produced a photo showing Harris and Disney wearing matching jackets with an Oregon Donald logo.  Relying on the photo as evidence of Disney's wishes, in 1973, both parties signed a formal agreement granting the university the right to use Donald's likeness as a symbol for (restricted to) Oregon sports."

Photo below shows Leo Harris (left center) and Walt Disney (far right).

image.png.3f0f9c22194818a0900ca05a012c85b5.png

"In 2010, Disney and the university reached an agreement that removed the costumed Oregon Duck mascot from its association with the Donald trademark, and allowed the "Duck" to make more public appearances (not restricted to certain sporting events)."

"The mascot in graphic art, which is more similar to Donald Duck than the rounder head and body of the costume, is still covered by the trademark agreement."

"In 1978, a student cartoonist came up with a new duck image called Mandrake, but students chose Donald (Duck) as the official mascot by 2-to-1 margin."  Thank goodness!  Mandrake (or RoboDuck) was not a good fit.

image.thumb.png.a45b98c954d9144566dd500cdc5f55c1.png

Our mascot the Duck,  through the years, has become one of the better known mascots in College Sports.

Edited by NJDuck
  • Great post! 1
  • Applause 2
  • Like 1

On 7/6/2022 at 1:21 PM, The Kamikaze Kid said:

And the Cliff Harris interception was good!

Grrr.... I knew the Harris int would be brought up. I was trying to avoid it. That play gets me boiling to this day. All these years later and I still can't get over that.

AU went on to score on that one too. 

On 7/6/2022 at 2:25 PM, Log Haulin said:

AU went on to score on that one too. 

Now that you brought it up, Auburn scored a safety after a weak motion penalty on UO negating a near first down run when they were just trying to run out clock to protect a halftime lead. The Harris interception was on the ensuing drive which Auburn converts into a touchdown one or two plays later. Deyer's down, get up and run sets up the 0:00 game winning field goal. Twelve points gifted to one team in a championship game.

Grrrrrr

On 7/6/2022 at 2:33 PM, The Kamikaze Kid said:

Now that you brought it up, Auburn scored a safety after a weak motion penalty on UO negating a near first down run when they were just trying to run out clock to protect a halftime lead. The Harris interception was on the ensuing drive which Auburn converts into a touchdown one or two plays later. Deyer's down, get up and run sets up the 0:00 game winning field goal. Twelve points gifted to one team in a championship game.

Grrrrrr

Right. Between this game and getting snubbed in 01 for blue blood Nebraska. Now getting compleatly blind sided by traditionally blue blood USC and the B1G?

Little ol' Oregon must be over the target. Got'em right where we want them. Watch out McDawg here we come.

I as well am glad you are here, McDawg. I'll add my own two bits.

Most Hated Rival: Butt-sniffers by the Lake (though U$C is a close 2nd for me).

Favorite Recent Games:

2014 Fiesta Bowl v K. State. DAT's opening KO return to the house was a revelation to the KSU fans.

2015 CFP semi at the Rose Bowl v FSU. Never seen a team quit and just shut down like they did when Oregon went off in the 2nd half. Winston's oopsy-doodle fumble was the coffin nail for the Seminoles, a thing of beauty.

2012 Rose Bowl v Wisconsin. Oregon beat a good B10 champion and a future NFL champ MVP QB.

2020 Same as above. Tighter game but every Oregon fan came away from that win thinking, "why the hell wasn't Justin Herbert allowed to do THAT all year".

Greatest Heartbreaker Games:

2011 CFP NC game for all the reasons others have noted. His knee was down.

I'll add the 2014-5 season home loss to Stanford when Zach Ertz was gifted a TD at the end. He was out of bounds. If DAT had turned around and made a block to get Mariota into the end zone in the 1st half, that game ends differently and Oregon would have been in the NC game instead of the Fiesta Bowl.

Looking forward to watching our respective teams meet in Atlanta in September. Go Ducks!

• Great post! 1

On 7/6/2022 at 2:19 PM, NJDuck said:

Welcome McDawg!

Since you asked,  did a little research and put together a bit of history surrounding our mascot.  "Oregon teams were originally known as Webfoots started around the 1890s. Ducks, with their webbed feet, began to be associated with Oregon's teams in the 1920s, and live duck mascots were adopted to represent the team.  White duck named "Puddles" began to appear at sports events."

"Beginning in 1940, cartoon drawings of Puddles in student publications began to resemble Donald Duck, and by 1947, Walt Disney was aware of the issue.  Oregon athletic director, Leo Harris capitalized on his friendship with Disney cartoonist Mike Royer, met Disney and reached an informal handshake agreement that granted Oregon permission to use Donald as its sports mascot, naming him Donald Duck."

"Disney lawyers later questioned the agreement in the 1970s. but Oregon produced a photo showing Harris and Disney wearing matching jackets with an Oregon Donald logo.  Relying on the photo as evidence of Disney's wishes, in 1973, both parties signed a formal agreement granting the university the right to use Donald's likeness as a symbol for (restricted to) Oregon sports."

"In 2010, Disney and the university reached an agreement that removed the costumed Oregon Duck mascot from its association with the Donald trademark, and allowed the "Duck" to make more public appearances (not restricted to certain sporting events)."

"The mascot in graphic art, which is more similar to Donald Duck than the rounder head and body of the costume, is still covered by the trademark agreement."

"In 1978, a student cartoonist came up with a new duck image called Mandrake, but students chose Donald (Duck) as the official mascot by 2-to-1 margin."  Thank goodness!  Mandrake (or RoboDuck) was not a good fit.

Our mascot the Duck,  through the years, has become one of the better known mascots in College Sports.

Very nice summary!

This one is by far my favorite of all the official UO logos.

oregon-ducks-8-logo-png-transparent-300x

• Go Ducks! 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 7/6/2022 at 3:33 PM, kirklandduck said:

Very nice summary!

This one is by far my favorite of all the official UO logos.

oregon-ducks-8-logo-png-transparent-300x

That is ONE FIGHTING DUCK!!

Why did you choose the bulldogs as a mascot? Ours is above.

How many fans come to your spring game? I believe we had our second biggest this last spring at 45k.

What's the city where you are located like? Eugene has a small town feel while being separated by an interstate from sister city Springfield. They sit in the southern foothills of the mid Cascade Mtn. range with the headwaters of the Willamette River that runs through the center of the city. We also have a second beautiful river, the McKenzie, which becomes the northern boundary of both cities. They are the 2nd largest city in the state.

Which head coach put u on the map? And how long did he stay? The first I remember was Len Casanova in the 50's on his staff he had John McKay, John Robinson, Bruce Snyder, and Jerry Frei who became HC and had QB Dan Fouts and RB/WR Bobby Moore as his star players.

Then we had a 30 yr drought until we got an Oregon State alum Rich Brooks. It took him 15 yrs to get us to our 2nd Rose Bowl.

We then had a good coach Mike Bellotti for another 13 yrs. He brought in the coach who really put us on the map Chip Kelly. He changed CFB by bringing speed and no huddle to our offense. He went to 4 straight BCS games the only one to do that. But he left for the pros. He didn't like recruiting.

Then we went on another downturn in 2015. In 2018 we hired Mario Cristoball who showed us we could recruit 4 and 5 star talent.

That brings us to now. As a fanbase we are confident that Dan Lanning and his staff will bring us back our exciting offense with his dominating defense which you know quite well, to go on being in search of our 1st national title. See you in September.

Go Ducks Fly High.

Edited by Duck 1972
  • Go Ducks! 1

On 7/6/2022 at 7:20 PM, Duck 1972 said:

Why did you choose the bulldogs as a mascot? Ours is above.

How many fans come to your spring game? I believe we had our second biggest this last spring at 45k.

What's the city where you are located like? Eugene has a small town feel while being separated by an interstate from sister city Springfield. They sit in the southern foothills of the mid Cascade Mtn. range with the headwaters of the Willamette River that runs through the center of the city. We also have a second beautiful river, the McKenzie, which becomes the northern boundary of both cities. They are the 2nd largest city in the state.

Which head coach put u on the map? And how long did he stay? The first I remember was Len Casanova in the 50's on his staff he had John McKay, John Robinson, Bruce Snyder, and Jerry Frei who became HC and had QB Dan Fouts and RB/WR Bobby Moore as his star players.

Then we had a 30 yr drought until we got an Oregon State alum Rich Brooks. It took him 15 yrs to get us to our 2nd Rose Bowl.

We then had a good coach Mike Bellotti for another 13 yrs. He brought in the coach who really put us on the map Chip Kelly. He changed CFB by bringing speed and no huddle to our offense. He went to 4 straight BCS games the only one to do that. But he left for the pros. He didn't like recruiting.

Then we went on another downturn in 2015. In 2018 we hired Mario Cristoball who showed us we could recruit 4 and 5 star talent.

That brings us to now. As a fanbase we are confident that Dan Lanning and his staff will bring us back our exciting offense with his dominating defense which you know quite well, to go on being in search of our 1st national title. See you in September.

Go Ducks Fly High.

Man, you are gonna test me here?! OK

The Bulldawgs mascot came from a fraternity in 1894 that had a female bulldog as a pet; "Trilby." The story goes that she had puppies and the puppies got out on the practice field under everyones feet and one of the players suggested, "Well, I guess Trilby has given us a name, "Bulldawgs." It stuck.  Funny thing is that the first live mascot we had was a goat. But the current bulldog line of "Uga's" started in 1956 with UGA I Hoods old Dan. The line has been maintained by the Seiler family ever since. Each Uga is entombed in the west endzone of Sanford Stadium and fresh flowers are placed at each home game. The current UGA is UGA X "Que."  Uga is treated as royalty almost and people will wait in line to have their picture made with him....except Auburn fans.   

GEORGIADOGS.COM

History of UGA the Mascot

Spring game attendance? We call it "G Day" Last year was a little low at 68,000 But a few years ago we had over 90,000  

Athens Ga is pretty much in the heart of Georgia.  It sits at the top of what i known as the Piedmont region; rolling hills mixed of pine plantation, cotton fields, corn fields and some pecan orchards that separate the Blue Ridge from the upper coastal plains. Its typical Georgia to the very core. Lots of incredible food! Everything from traditional "mommas cooking" meat and three, varying types of bar B que ( yes, there are several different types in the south-I am partial to mustard & vinegar base sweet Carolina) Athens itself is a nice quiet town, far enough away from the Sodom and Gomorrah of Atlanta, bit not too small that you feel like Andy and Barney are on the courthouse lawn. It is the fifth largest in the state, but arguable the better of larger town in Georgia to live...it really is a nice town. There is a saying that "Downtown Athens is undefeated." 

Your coaching history is revealing to me. I did not know McKay and Robinson had coached there..impressive.  I am not sure we have had names such as that. But here goes. 

Wally Butts was perhaps the game changer for UGA football.  He coached from 1939-1960 and won the 42' National Championship. He had Frank Sinkwich as his stud player.  Sinkwich was the first SEC player to win a Heisman.  After that was definitely Pat Dooley and Herschel Walker...y'all know whi Herschel is already.  Pat Dooley coached from 64-88 winning the 1980title and several SEC trophys. The 1990's were our "Years  of Doom" or as some have called it "The Goof and Dumb Years" referencing coached Ray Goff and Jim Donnan; both were alright guys, but they were inthe shadow of Dooley and at the same time trying to compete with SOS at Florida ( some of you call him Steve Spurrier)  Luckily we found some solace when we hired Mark Richt aka St Mark.  He helped get us out of the Florida funk some and set us on pace for some pretty good years from 2002 thru present. 

Kirby Smart is the Prodigals Son, and is treated as such; you know the whole fatted calf and new clothes too! 

Rivals you may not know about....

Tennessee.  I hate 10-R-C

Auburn-  "Yhe Deep Souths Oldest Rivalry" .since 1892...126 years ..we own them. 16-5 since 02' 

Clemson or Clems-Son...yeah we own them too. 43-18 overall and 4-1 since 02' 

Flarduh....Errybody hates em. Worst part for me is, I know their head coach personally. Went to church with his family for years. His dad coached my son....Hes a great guy.  I still hate flarduh.

Georgia tech....mmm they suck pretty bad....its still "Clean Old Fashioned Hate" 

Funny enough, we haven't viewed Bama as a rival per se. We just needed to beat them to exercise the demons. 

• Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 4

On 7/6/2022 at 5:19 PM, NJDuck said:

Welcome McDawg!

Yeah.  That wasnt a very cool mascot.  Errybody loves the Duck you have now man.  Gotta be a character to be in that suit.  We have on called "Hairy Dawg" that you see as well and hes pretty good...but more subdued thean The Duck. 

On 7/6/2022 at 3:35 PM, DUCati855 said:

Most memorable plays....Larry Munson. Dawg fans would tune in the TV, then turn the volume down and turn the radio on to hear Larry Munson. ...

Run Lindsey 

The Hobnail Boot.  The Vawls were undefeated and it was Richt first SEC road game ...in Neyland Stadium 

My God A Freshman

Edited by McDawg
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 2

Larry Munson was a great announcer. Pleasure listening to him. 

• Thumbs Up 1

On 7/6/2022 at 2:11 PM, The Kamikaze Kid said:

I can't say we have a single play that altered a rivalry.  If I did, it may actually be a last second Hail Mary that the Vols threw on us in 2016.  Jacob Eason had jut tossed about a 80 yard go ahead score with 10 seconds left.  On the ensuing KO we got a penalty and gave them some extra grass..the Vols tossed one into the endzone to win with time gone. Since then, UT has gone into the crapper and we have gone the other way. 

Some say Ga Tech is our little brother...we say Tuck Fech; its universal I think. 

• Thumbs Up 3

Walker was UGA back when I was just starting to watch college football. UGA was my 1B at the time behind the Ducks. I was 12 yo. Ducks were 1A because my older brother was a Fusky fan. Sibling rivalry I guess.

On 7/6/2022 at 1:01 PM, McDawg said:

And please, as us those questions too!

Most Hated Rival: The Fuskies but USC is really pushing the envelope on that for me. I look at the Beavs as a little brother...more pity than anything and I'm sure that's why they detest us.

Worst Heartbreak: Any number of missed calls in the 2011 National Championship game and the 2016 TCU Meltdown that I hope to one day forget...

Favorite Moments: Jeremiah Masoli trucking Lance Mitchell , DAT kickoff return against K-State 2013 Fiesta Bowl, and Barner rushing for 300+ and 5 TD's on USC.

Favorite Wins: Beating Florida State 2015, Beating Ohio State in the 'Shoe 2021 and beating K-State in the 2013 Fiesta Bowl.

What is your favorite recruiting win (and most devastating loss)?

What's your favorite Georgia college tradition?

What's your favorite "away" game venue?

Why can't you admit that Texas BBQ is the best?

Our radio announcer is the great Jerry Allen. He's been doing the games since I was young adult. His most famous call was "The Pick".

Then in 2010, as the time wound down in the final game against "Little Brother" in that amazing undefeated season his call as his voice was breaking "Well Oregon fans, can you believe it, we're finally going to play in the National Championship." The hair on the back of my neck stood up. It was amazing and extremely touching.

Our Autzen stadium game announcer is famous for the saying "It never rains in Autzen." Which is odd because everyone knows it rains a lot in Oregon.

Also we have a tradition as the 3rd quarter is ending the whole stadium and players sing the song "Shout" from the movie Animal House. It really gets everyone going.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 7/6/2022 at 10:07 PM, McDawg said:

Rivals you may not know about....

Tennessee.  I hate 10-R-C

I get that. Volunteer fans were not the most hospitable to us traveling Ducks; almost as bad as the Michigan fans we sat around. Have to admit, if I ever hear Rocky Top again, it’ll be too soon.  Welcome to the forum Dawg. Did a working stint in Atlanta a ways back (Sodom & Gomorrah is right), and enjoyed my trips to Athens. Lot of similarities to Eugene.

• Go Ducks! 1

On 7/7/2022 at 11:08 AM, Wrathis said:

Most Hated Rival: The Fuskies but USC is really pushing the envelope on that for me. I look at the Beavs as a little brother...more pity than anything and I'm sure that's why they detest us.

Worst Heartbreak: Any number of missed calls in the 2011 National Championship game and the 2016 TCU Meltdown that I hope to one day forget...

Favorite Moments: Jeremiah Masoli trucking Lance Mitchell , DAT kickoff return against K-State 2013 Fiesta Bowl, and Barner rushing for 300+ and 5 TD's on USC.

Favorite Wins: Beating Florida State 2015, Beating Ohio State in the 'Shoe 2021 and beating K-State in the 2013 Fiesta Bowl.

What is your favorite recruiting win (and most devastating loss)?  Favorite was George Pickens.  Our entire fan base was shocked, he was committed to Auburn for about a year and it came outta nowhere.  When the rumors starting he may flip the names were Miami and Tennessee, but not Georgia.  The Auburn meltdown was glorious.

For me the worst recruiting loss was Laremy Tunsil, 5-star OT that went to Ole Miss.  He was committed to UGA for a long time.  Completely out of left field and to Ole Miss??!!  That is when people starting thinking Hugh Freeze was cheating, and turns out he was (in more ways than one)

What's your favorite Georgia college tradition?  I like Ringing the Chapel Bell after winning football games.  It always puts a smile on my face.

What's your favorite "away" game venue? Sorry but for me it is not technically an away game it is the neutral field game in Jacksonville against florida.  I am old now but if you are a young man you need to spend a weekend there.  You will have a blast and may remember half of it.

Why can't you admit that Texas BBQ is the best? Brisket is good and I will enjoy Texas BBQ when I have the chance to partake.  But brother, smoking a whole hog means you are cooking it basically on a bed of bacon.  Did you hear me brother? A BED OF BACON!  Swine is fine!

• Cool 1
  • Haha 2
  • Applause 1

In order to know about Duck Football, one must know about Oregon Athletic History. Oregon won the very first NCAA basketball title, back in 1939 and there is a big push to win it again.

Recreational running started in Eugene and was introduced by Bill Bowerman. Bowerman is a legendary figure at the U of O and was the co-founder of Nike, along with Phil Knight. Oregon Track's founder was Bill Hayward, our venue is named after him Hayward Field. Our greatest athlete was, arguably, Steve Prefontaine. 

To understand Oregon athletics one must understand the Kamikaze Kids. This was a style of basketball unheard of when played at the time. Every loose ball was contested and the full court press was a way of life. UCLA at their peak hated playing Oregon, in what was called the Pit, likely the least friendly place to play a game in the country.

What the Kamikaze Kids were to basketball, Chip Kelly's offense was to football. Nobody played as fast, with as much precision as Chip Kelly's teams. He was lucky to inherit a complete staff, and systems which allowed him to instill his style of football, and again Oregon athletics shocked a sport. 

This takes me back to Steve Prefontaine. He ran every race like it was his last. From start to finish he just ran as fast as he thought possible. He never lost a race of over a mile in his college career. This mentality is instilled in every successful athletic program Oregon has, and garners the enthusiasm of Oregon fans like no other. 

Our most recent coach did well, but didn't adhere to the pedal to the metal thinking. If Oregon is to get to the National Championship again that is what we most likely will see again. Oregon needs to, once again, be a program that leaves it all on the field. I hope that is what we all see, and if Georgia comes out on top then you were the better team, and congrats.  Hopefully we see Oregon Football back to innovating and inspiring the faithful with an all out effort, and we win, but most importantly we need to see Steve Prefontaine influencing our athlete's again!

• Great post! 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 7/7/2022 at 8:08 AM, Wrathis said:

Most Hated Rival: Once upon a time it was Ga Tech ( aka: North Avenue Trade School or NATS) and still is to some but they have fallen into basically FCS level and are no longer competitive.  Most any UGA fan will agree that Florida is the hottest rivalry and the one team we relish in beating.  The history there is storied and downright hateful. That rivalry could be a thread of its own.

Worst Heartbreak: Any number of missed calls in the 2017 National Championship game and overtime TD pass. One offsides penalty changed the game...There are shirts, "Tyler Simmons was onsides" and eventually the B1G official recanted and said that he was in fact onsides. 40 years of heartbreak there friends.

Favorite Moments: Best one...The Kelee Ringo pick six in the 21' title game. 

Favorite Wins: Beating Notre Dame 3 times.  Any win against Flarduh. 21 Title Game vs Bama. Maybe the 07 Auburn Blackout game. 

What is your favorite recruiting win (and loss)?   Nick Chubb was a pretty good win since he was getting a good push from Bama. Hderschel was a good win...he almost went to Clemson. It was nice getting Jacob Eason and I think he would have been great if he hadn't gotten Wally Pipp'd. Biggest loss?? We lost a couple of good running backs to Tennessee back in the late 90's...Travis Henry is the first that comes to mind.

What's your favorite Georgia college tradition?  UGA has two that are pretty cool.  "Battle Hymn to Old Georgia"   A lone trumpeter stands on the upper deck on the southwest corner of the stadium and plays, while the band on the field then joins softly...then this montage is played on the big screen.  I have literally seen grown men cry. It can be quite chilling.

The second one has become "Lightin Up Sanford"  at the start of the fourth quarter.  This is done while the band plays "Krypton fanfare"  

It pretty well gets the juices flowing on a lubed up Saturday night crowd.  If you're in Atlanta Sept 3, you may see it there. Heck fire, we travel so well, we even lit up South Bend! 

This is vs Notre Dame in Athens 2019

What's your favorite "away" game venue?  TIAA Bank...UGA vs Flarduh in the WLOCP and Ga Tech's Bobby Dodd Stadium. Mark Richt neveer lost there so it is now AKA "Mark Richt Field"

Why can't you admit that Texas BBQ is the best? Because it ain't. This isn't a question.

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 2