Charles Fischer

Washington's Recruiting? Omigosh!

They are now up to 16 verbals, with only ONE 4 or 5-Star player?  Yikes!  In 2022, that would have placed the Huskies at anywhere from No. 46 to No. 65 in the final standings...

rrflfaefebpwlnibpbwq
N.RIVALS.COM

The definitive source for all Rivals news.

giphy.gif

• Wow 1
  • Haha 4

Mr. FishDuck

Yep. Rankings based on volume right now are meaningless. 
Even Duke is rated higher simply because they have 22 commits, yet zero are 4/5 stars, and 4 are 2 stars.

Average star rating puts UW in the 40s, with UO 15.

• Great post! 1
  • Applause 1

Hurrayyyyy!!!!

Day is made

Off to the coast 

• Haha 1
  • Applause 1

Huck the Fuskies!!

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Applause 1

Deboer had Fresno St play us to a one score game last year, he beat UCLA on the road. He beat San Diego St on the road when they were ranked 21st, and he had Fresno ranked inside the Top 25 at one-point last year. 

This guy is an Elite offense coach who develops and teaches his players to execute his system and then Deboer calls on heck of a game from the sidelines. 

Here is where Frenso St last 4 classes rank on 247 sports

2018 - 92

2019 - 86

2020- 103

2021 - 75

Deboer put up 10 wins with that talent last year and went 2-1 against top 25 team on the road.

So, now Deboer is already has better talent at UW and is recruiting better talent then he had at Frenso. 

hmmmm.............

Edited by DazeNconfused
  • Thumbs Up 2

On 7/7/2022 at 9:39 AM, DazeNconfused said:

So, now Deboer is already has better talent at UW and is recruiting better talent then he had at Frenso. 

hmmmm.............

But how well does current UW talent mesh with that DeBoer wants to do? 

That is the biggest question. When Taggart took over and then Cristobal a lot of players suddenly found themselves not fitting with the new scheme. 

Same goes for when Lanning took over but those players had a better out with the transfer portal. 

I think one of the more "iconic" players who got caught up in coaching changes was Brady Breeze. He was brought in under the Helfrich era and fit the defensive scheme... As bad as that scheme was anyways... Then Taggart and Leavitt changed the scheme and Breeze found himself lower on the depth chart. 

The Avalos was hired and Breeze fit the scheme so well that he was able to elevate himself overnight. He put on a show and showed just how good he could be. 

So raw talent alone doesn't matter if it's not used well. 

But we all know how well Cristobal performed even when he had a chance to build his roster. 

Here's to more Ls for the Huskies! 

• Applause 1

On 7/7/2022 at 9:39 AM, DazeNconfused said:

Deboer had Fresno St play us to a one score game last year

Gotta remember, that was against the old prevent offense.

• Haha 2
  • Mic drop 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

On 7/7/2022 at 12:44 PM, Steven A said:

Gotta remember, that was against the old prevent offense.

I'm also super confused why DeRuyter's defense was pretty pathetic last year. He has the history of being a pretty good DC and yet our defense was pretty poor. 

Avalos fielded a strong defense in 2019 and we'll 2020 was a super big mess with a mixture of lots of youth and vets leaving in drives both.expectabtly and unexpectedly. 

But 2021 should have seen auch stronger defense out the gate. Later in the year there were loads of injuries but game one and three (against Stoneybrook) were aweful... And it didn't get much better. 

On 7/7/2022 at 12:57 PM, David Marsh said:

I'm also super confused why DeRuyter's defense was pretty pathetic last year.

When he left....no "thanks" on Twitter to the fans or to Cristobal.  He just got-the-heck out of town as fast as he could.

I believe he was constrained by you-know-who as Moorhead was.

• Thumbs Up 1

Mr. FishDuck

On 7/7/2022 at 1:06 PM, Charles Fischer said:

When he left....no "thanks" on Twitter to the fans or to Cristobal.  He just got-the-heck out of town as fast as he could.

Didn't the same hold true for Avalos?  

On 7/7/2022 at 1:06 PM, Charles Fischer said:

I believe he was constrained by you-know-who as Moorhead was.

I believe he was constrained as well... But you would think with someobe like Cristobal who is all about physicality that it would have been a hard-nosed heavy blitzing defense designed around taking out the quarterback. 

Instead it was bend but don't break... Just seems weird to me. 

On 7/7/2022 at 12:13 PM, David Marsh said:

But how well does current UW talent mesh with that DeBoer wants to do? 

That is the biggest question. When Taggart took over and then Cristobal a lot of players suddenly found themselves not fitting with the new scheme. 

Same goes for when Lanning took over but those players had a better out with the transfer portal. 

I think one of the more "iconic" players who got caught up in coaching changes was Brady Breeze. He was brought in under the Helfrich era and fit the defensive scheme... As bad as that scheme was anyways... Then Taggart and Leavitt changed the scheme and Breeze found himself lower on the depth chart. 

The Avalos was hired and Breeze fit the scheme so well that he was able to elevate himself overnight. He put on a show and showed just how good he could be. 

So raw talent alone doesn't matter if it's not used well. 

But we all know how well Cristobal performed even when he had a chance to build his roster. 

Here's to more Ls for the Huskies! 

Good post! Brady Breeze is a sore topic for me!

I don't think it was scheme to me it was poor coaching decision on the depth chart, and I put that on safeties and CO DC Keith Hayward.

They just played Pickett over Breeze and Pickett was as physical as a girl scout in the run game, but they thought he was better in pass defense and longer. 

Pickett got hurt in an early season game during 2018 and Breeze got in and was INSTANLY LIGHTS OUT! The scheme didn't change mid game or season, Breeze the better player just got into the game and Balled out. 

So, Breeze played in 9 games in 2018. In 2019 they would split game reps with the two, but Breeze showed he was way better than Pickett. 

It became apparent Breeze was good in the passing game and was next level reading run plays and coming up to lay the wood. 

I will say after Pickett got jumped, I saw him improve his run game work and start to actually hit people, sorta.. haha

• Applause 1

I'm also super confused why DeRuyter's defense was pretty pathetic last year. He has the history of being a pretty good DC and yet our defense was pretty poor. 

Avalos fielded a strong defense in 2019 and we'll 2020 was a super big mess with a mixture of lots of youth and vets leaving in drives both.expectabtly and unexpectedly. 

But 2021 should have seen auch stronger defense out the gate. Later in the year there were loads of injuries but game one and three (against Stoneybrook) were aweful... And it didn't get much better. 

Oh Boy, you got another gripe of mine brought up. 

DeRut was terrible and I think part of it was Mario. We would sit Base Defense pre-snap and then run base on the play. 

Look at the first two series UCLA went right down the field and put us down 14-0. Then we started putting LB's up in the gaps on the line and dropping them. Showing base and bring the backers, running stunts and held them scoreless the next two quarters. 

Same deal with Stonybrook, late in that game we finally started stunting and blitzing.

It was like Mario wanted DeRut to stay base unless we needed to show more, like Mario wanted to hide away our blitz packages in our back pocket. 

It drove me nuts at times, it was TERRIBLE! 

EDIT: it was more of Marios "never put a team away early that you should when you could be in tight game with them late" type stuff.

Edited by DazeNconfused
  • Thumbs Up 2

On 7/7/2022 at 3:57 PM, David Marsh said:

I'm so glad Mr prevent D left for Miami!!!

So, maybe it's the whole bipolar Jekyll vs. Hyde thing...  On one side you had Mari No Offense, on the other side you had Mari No Defense? Hmmm... One can only wonder! LOL!!

I'm glad we're way better off now!!

Go Ducks!!

I wasnt impressed with DeRuyter's defense either but we did have a whole bunch of injuries, lets not forget.

On 7/7/2022 at 8:17 PM, 1Ducker1 said:

I wasnt impressed with DeRuyter's defense either but we did have a whole bunch of injuries, lets not forget.

true.. and that explains the second half of the year... but not really the first game.

Granted this topic is probably a thread of its own.