Tandaian

What is so Special About Notre Dame Football?

I understand the historical sense of Notre Dame Football, but since 2000, meh.  Since, 2000 they have not won a significant bowl game.  They have played in the Fiesta bowl 2000, crushed by the Beavers, lost in the 2005 Fiesta bowl, lost in the 2006 Sugar bowl, lost in the 2012 BCS championship game, lost in the 2015 Fiesta bowl, lost in 2020 semi final, lost in 2021 Fiesta bowl.  0-7 in major bowl games.

They have won double digit games 9 times.  Their TV numbers average about 2.9 mil in that time frame.  Not spectacular.

Seems like Oregon should go independent in football and stay in the Pac 12 for all other sports.

5-4 in major bowl games, since 2000, with losses in 2010 BCS championship game and 2014 title game.  Our TV numbers aren't quite the same as ND, but they are at 2.31 mil.

Tradition lol...

If you're into tradition, forget about Notre Dame. Nobody will ever be able to compare with the string of national championships in the 1890's by Yale!

• Haha 2
  • Thumbs Up 2

Notre Dame is still a big draw for TV and attendance, and top teams line up to get an opportunity to play the Irish.  My guess is that the affiliation with the Catholic church and legacy drives this, as it is certainly not their performance on the field.

I love watching a highly rated Notre Dame get destroyed year-after-year in the bowl game/playoffs.

I get frustrated every year with the Irish. They're constantly over-rated and living on a reputation earned when Beano Cook was still a kid.

This however brings up a question I'd like to ask people here on the forum: How long can a "blue blood" be mediocre before losing their blue blood status? The following teams come to mind; 

Notre Dame, Texas, Nebraska, Minnesota, Georgia Tech, USC etc...

I'd love to hear all of your thoughts on the matter 🙂

• Applause 1

I never watch them on NBC.

On 7/8/2022 at 9:28 AM, Wrathis said:

I get frustrated every year with the Irish. They're constantly over-rated and living on a reputation earned when Beano Cook was still a kid.

This however brings up a question I'd like to ask people here on the forum: How long can a "blue blood" be mediocre before losing their blue blood status? The following teams come to mind; 

I get frustrated too. Especially annoying is hearing how the PAC is "down" during years when Oregon plays in National Championship games and USC has a poor record, including losing to the Ducks. Since 1994 the Ducks have 12 wins over usc to their 7, and since 2009, Ducks 6 wins over usc to their 2 over the Ducks.

At one time the sun never set on the British Empire, but times have changed.

• Applause 1
  • Like 1

I don't consider Nebraska, Minnesota, Georgia Tech, Washington, et al blue bloods.  These programs haven't done anything recently and the high school recruits weren't alive the last time they were relevant on the national level.

USC and Notre Dame have at least played in some big BCS/playoff games, and USC won a national championship under Carroll.  USC benefits from being in the LA market but really haven't added anything to the Pac-12 other than that.

On 7/8/2022 at 11:58 AM, OregonDucks said:

I don't consider Nebraska, Minnesota, Georgia Tech, Washington, et al blue bloods. 

Thanks for the response! Not to press, but what would you say is a timeline? And how would you define a Blue blood? Do you have to score multiple championships to attain the status and then play for one every 10/20/30 years to keep it?  Just looking for something a little more definitive (and I do understand I'm asking for personal opinions, nothing more).

Thanks~!

What makes Notre Dame exceptional, besides being a very good academic institution, is there following. Although less than 9,000 students are enrolled at Notre Dame, just about every person affiliated religiously and ethnically relates to the school like they went there. They also have a top ten endowment, which is also a powerful too. 

What makes Notre Dame football exceptional is their history, and little else.

• Thumbs Up 2

What's so special about Notre Dame football? Nothing but the myth.

Like an empty celebrity, they're famous for being well-known.

• Haha 1
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

On 7/8/2022 at 10:11 AM, Wrathis said:

Thanks for the response! Not to press, but what would you say is a timeline? And how would you define a Blue blood? Do you have to score multiple championships to attain the status and then play for one every 10/20/30 years to keep it?  Just looking for something a little more definitive (and I do understand I'm asking for personal opinions, nothing more).

Thanks~!

A blueblood is a school that has down very well over a sustained time of winning championships.

It can be a decade or so or even longer. But you can also lose the status like Nebraska. 

I guess another factor can be amount of fan base like ND and UCLALA and the unspoiled children.

• Thanks 1

In the days of a true(LOL) playoff you have tOSU-Clemson- Alabama-LSU-GA-Auburn-FSU and the MIGHTY DUCKS OF OREGON. Some might throw in Michi

On 7/8/2022 at 10:11 AM, Wrathis said:

And how would you define a Blue blood?

I don't know but I believe that perception of the program among high school recruits and coaches, consistent success on the field and interest/viewership are more important (note: these are all related).

Screen Shot 2022-07-08 at 3.08.42 PM.png

Edited by OregonDucks
  • Thumbs Up 1

I think I saw somewhere that ND has over 150 million potential fans that might watch the game. They are the very top, that's why they have their very own TV deal with NBC. No sharing of revenue.

The problem for them  not being in a league is finding and scheduling games. 

I'm sorry but This is the reality, not what we think and feel.

On 7/8/2022 at 12:04 PM, Tandaian said:

They have played in the Fiesta bowl 2000, crushed by the Beavers

This should render all tradition null and void.

• Oh no! 1
  • Haha 2

The only thing my mother knew about football, was that the ball was not round. You could how ever count on her screaming for "The Biting Irish",

every time ! (Irish catholics, go figure)...Just that once, thanks Beav's 😁 41-9 heh heh !

• Go Ducks! 1

"Fighting Irish TV viewership down big from last year"

Down 48% from a year ago.  That's not nothing to sneeze at.

Notre-Dame-audience-2021.ashx
WWW.SPORTSBUSINESSJOURNAL.COM

Notre Dame viewership dropped this season after a big 2020, hindered by blowouts and a weaker schedule.

Edited by DuckIt

Apropos of nothing, I attended the ND vs. Navy game in Dublin on 9/1/2012

I bought a round in Temple Bar for some Navy pilots who took me to the game as a tag a long.  Will never forget it.

Navy fans were legit, but Notre Dame's crowd was legion on the streets of Dublin.

On 7/8/2022 at 3:56 PM, idontrollonshobbas said:

Navy fans were legit, but Notre Dame's crowd was legion on the streets of Dublin.

The Irish stick together.

• Thumbs Up 1

I recall that NBC's 1991 purchase of the broadcast rights for Notre Dame football was hailed by many in the business as a long term business loser for ND, but a game changer for college football.  Bidding wars for conference broadcast rights soon lit up the sports world.  ND?  They did "okay" financially, but never outdrew (dollar or) viewership much of the Saturday lineup competition.  One example I'm quite aware of came in 2018 when they went undefeated, 11-0, (mostly against the Sisters of the Poor quality teams) going into the Cotton Bowl against Clemson.  (Clemson held them to ONE field goal.  🤭)

But late that season, during the week of the Pitt-Notre Dame game, unopposed at the 2:30 time slot, they drew 2.8 million viewers.  Not bad.  But while splitting the next time slot with another game, guess who drew 3 million....Oregon vs. Washington.  ND was consistently out drawn during their best (results) year in decades.

So...ND is no media slouch.  But they're no big deal, either.  I believe what makes them so desirable to the B4,034G is all about the marketing of their history and tradition.  By the way, I can say the same about USC.  Their football teams have been mostly pathetic for the last 14 years now...the years since they were caught with their Pre-NIL pants down.

I'm convinced half of ND "fan base" watches the games to see them lose.

• Applause 1

I refer to it as the Notre Dame syndrome...

In the old days, Notre Dame would get all of the "best" recruits from the Catholic High Schools.  Because the Catholic schools were essentially the only high schools allowed to recruit, those schools had the best athletes (Catholic or not), but didn't play any schools with comparable talent.  So, inflated stats and stars.

Then ND would schedule the sisters of the poor and maybe one or two decent games a year = great record and great bowl game.

But at bowl time, the Mike Tyson effect kicked in, Notre Dame's game plan went out the window when the opposition gave them the first punch to the face they had all year.

A lot like usc since Carroll.

P.S. I think they are a little better now, especially since they teach a class for line backers on how not to be catfished.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Thumbs Up 2