mrspenney

Where I Think it Ends at Least for the Present...

Think the conference will make a deal with the ACC which has similar problems to the Pac 12.  I'm not a believer that they will add 2 teams, maybe I'm wrong, will see.  I think the new TV contract will be for more money than most folks think it will be.

One of the best strengths the conference has is the present commissioner, and I think we are going to be amazed at what he will produce over the next few months.

Was worried about our recruiting during this period, but the commitment of Moore, I think ends that worry and solidifies an outstanding top 10 class for this year and that will be solidified if Young commits soon.

I also think that this years Duck football team could easily be a participant in the national championship game with a couple of breaks during the season.

After being depressed earlier in the week, I'm very optimistic about the immediate future.

Longterm I see the end of college sports as we know them, thanks to ESPN and Fox who are primarily to blame and will regret it as time goes by.  I see 2 mega conferences with 20 teams each as the end result.  The ones who will suffer the most are the minorities who will see scholarships drop by the thousands as the smaller schools retrench due to lack of income.

• Great post! 1
  • Applause 2
  • Thumbs Up 2

mrspenney, good take on the situation.

In the long run what FOX and ESPN are doing is culling the herd. What they fail to recognize are the century old regional rivalries that have been part of footballs popularity.

I will not be watching any uclasuc or uscsuc under any circumstances once they slither to the BIG...... Not interested in UCLA/Purdue or Usc/Maryland. Those are not rivalries. Those BIG matchups are not interesting. The BIG is not interesting. It's tOSU and everybody else. Last year was an outlier. HEC, the Rose Bowl is PAC champ against BIG runnerup. Probably SoCal fans will watch buy how many.

Time will only tell. For certain their will be casualties along the way. Non revenue sports may very well turn into club sports.

I believe that GK will do his best and the PAC 10 will move forward together.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 7/9/2022 at 10:08 AM, mrspenney said:

Longterm I see the end of college sports as we know them, thanks to ESPN and Fox who are primarily to blame and will regret it as time goes by.  I see 2 mega conferences with 20 teams each as the end result.  The ones who will suffer the most are the minorities who will see scholarships drop by the thousands as the smaller schools retrench due to lack of income.

This makes you wonder if this comes to fruition, if it will result in a few universities dropping their football programs all together. It's a pity but it seems to be the trend in the world these days... The big get bigger while the small get weeded out. 

Thanks mrspenny....great analysis.  Spot on that the biggest losers in all of this could be the non-revenue sport athletes, primarily female and minority students.  

Universities that accept financial aid have to adhere to the Title IX statutes which require a balance of schollies between male and female student athletes.  But how can schools afford NIL for Men's FB and BB teams and the 100 female scholarships it takes to counter those rosters in the non-revenue sports?

But let's be honest, they probably operate at a loss on top of the scholly expenses.  We call them "non-revenue" sports but in reality they are "sports that lose money."

• Thumbs Up 1

Conference realignment takes a lot more time than we all think. We only see the big moves and announcements. But those take months of discussions to reach those points. 

We are all waiting on ND for better or worse right now. 

In my opinion Notre Dame at this point in time will not join the Big 10.  I went to the only high school the Holy Cross fathers had in the US, Columbia Prep in Portland, since has been moved to Chicago and still is their only high school.  Know and have known a lot of the priests of the order.  ND is one of the best endowed schools in the US.  Sure they are interested in money but they are also interested in providing a lot of their alums around the country the periodic opportunity to see their school play.

They have their own TV deal which they share with no one and make a ton annually (NBC), and they are the only team on NBC nationally.  They have a great deal with the ACC where they get some additional TV money (not a lot) and play 5 ACC teams a year.  2 of them they have played annually for years Pittsburgh and Boston College, so in reality they are playing 3 more ACC teams and they would normally play another 2 anyway.  The rest of the deal is that they are full members of the ACC in all other sports except 2 that the ACC doesn't play.  The administration at ND is not wild about some of the members of the Big 10, but that would not keep them from becoming a member if they wished.  

There is no reason for ND to join the Big 10, money no, quality of opponents absolutely not-they can schedule almost anybody they want, academics no for the most part ND is academically superior to almost all the schools in the Big 10.

The only way that happens is if the power conference thing becomes a reality and there are only 2 conferences then they most likely would have to join.