curtisd316

Pac 12 and Big 12 TV Deals Rights Advisors

USATSI_15399030.jpg
WWW.HEARTLANDCOLLEGESPORTS.COM

The conference realignment chatter continues in earnest after the bombshell news last week that USC and UCLA were bolting the...

USATSI_13357275.jpg
WWW.HEARTLANDCOLLEGESPORTS.COM

As the Big 12, Pac-12 and even ACC try to figure out what's next in the wake of UCLA and USC leaving for the Big Ten, there are...

This sounds like ESPN and Fox trying to keep one or both conferences from getting a decent tv deal with the likes of Amazon, Apple, CBS Paramount, NBC Peacock and others interested in getting into College Sports which would keep them from driving the price up

• Thanks 1

On 7/10/2022 at 2:06 PM, curtisd316 said:

This sounds like ESPN and Fox trying to keep one or both conferences from getting a decent tv deal with the likes of Amazon, Apple, CBS Paramount, NBC Peacock and others interested in getting into College Sports which would keep them from driving the price up

These are the two overlords of college football. They have built themselves an incredibly lucrative media package and the biggest thing that could spoil it for them is getting other media companies involved and creating more competition.

I still think that a Pac-10 / Big XII merger would be the last option. I would much prefer a partnership with the ACC due to the strength of the top programs in the ACC. 

I’d rather the PAC-10 try to go it alone. The conference could either go back to a round robin schedule to determine the champion or reduce the number of conference games so that teams could schedule tougher out of conference games.  

• Applause 1

On 7/10/2022 at 5:06 PM, curtisd316 said:

I know this all been talked about and maybe I am naive, but what about merging the best of the Big12/Pac12 and create a partnership with The ACC?  Bring together the strongest partnership possible to try and create a strong conference.

Like you said, bid out to the likes of Amazon, Apple CBS, NBC, etc. along with ESPN and or Fox.  Try to generate the best possible highest media rights.

I think the 3 conferences need to come together to stop the bleeding and forge the best possible scenario. There are good teams with good media markets that could work with a newly forged partnership.

Edited by NJDuck
  • Applause 1

I was listening to an UTube pod cast the other day and they had a ex Fox exe on and he said it won be better for the PAC, B12, and ACC are in a better position to stay ununited. Merging does nothing to move the needle. It also costs them votes in the formation of the PO. It seems reasonable to me.

I just finished reading the article from Clemsen's viewpoint it seems a partnership with ACC is not what they want.

On 7/10/2022 at 3:26 PM, OregonDucks said:

I’d rather the PAC-10 try to go it alone. The conference could either go back to a round robin schedule to determine the champion or reduce the number of conference games so that teams could schedule tougher out of conference games.  

Conference championship games are here to stay for better or worse. 

1 they make money by extending the season by an extra game and that game is between two good teams it is usually entertaining.... Or it's supposed to be anyways. 

Pac-12-Championship-2011-AmazingMomentsP
FISHDUCK.COM

The expansion of the Pac-12 conference has not been to the benefit of fans. In my previous...

2 if teams want to make a playoff run they have to show off how good they are at every opportunity and an extra game gives that team the edge. It sounds pretty but a 13-0 team is more likely to make the playoff than a 12-0 team when both teams are conference champions.

The Big-12 adopted a championship game because of those two reasons and they were determining their champion via a round robin and season winner. 

I would love to see round robin come back because it is far more interesting than divisions. 

On 7/10/2022 at 5:52 PM, NJDuck said:

I know this all been talked about and maybe I am naive, but what about merging the best of the Big12/Pac12 and create a partnership with The ACC?  Bring together the strongest partnership possible to try and create a strong conference.

Like you said, bid out to the likes of Amazon, Apple CBS, NBC, etc. along with ESPN and or Fox.  Try to generate the best possible highest media rights.

I think the 3 conferences need to come together to stop the bleeding and forge the best possible scenario. There are good teams with good media markets that could work with a newly forged partnership.

I totally agree. I think that the PAC, Big 12,  and ACC have to put aside any pride or homerism so that we can put together a conference that will be viable and competitive for the long term future.

I think if we all stick to our own conferences now we are only delaying the inevitable, which will be another big shake up and may result in the conferences joining up anyway, only in a more desperate attempt in 5 or 10 years. 

• Thumbs Up 1