FishDuck Article

Stable of 5-Star QB’s: The Pressure is ON Coach Dillingham

Will he be up to the task?

Kenny-Dillingham-300x300-cropped.png?p=1
FISHDUCK.COM

The pressure to develop the highest-rated quarterback room in Oregon football history lies squarely upon Oregon's 32-year-old...

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Great post! 1

Two Sites: FishDuck and the Our Beloved Ducks forum, The only "Forum with Decorum!" And All-Volunteer? What a wonderful community of Duck fans!

The pressure is absolutely on Dilly to develop QB's. He is the quarterback coach. Its his job. Especially after the lack of developing a QB of the past several years. Notably JH. 

• Thumbs Up 1

The one caveat to this is that it's much easier to develop good technique and habits in a very young player than to fix problems in an older player.  Nix was under other coaches, and Thompson and Butterfield were under Mari at Oregon.  

Moore is more of a blank slate.

• Thumbs Up 2

The pressure is on, and will be mounting for everyone.  Nix, Butterfield, Thompson, Dilly, Lanning and soon enough Moore. I think it is safe to say Nix had better take over this season, and put up numbers which will get him at least into the discussion about getting drafted. He has one season to get it right, or one of these guys will be taking over or taking over somewhere else.

What is amazing is each of the coaches are a blank slate and the prospects and fans are all in on them. Nix has come to resurrect what was suppose to be, the rest are waiting for what can be. My caution is when there is so much hope, there is often disappointment. Can Dilly, and really Lanning take what is massive expectations and move fans, recruits and players to an acceptable reality?

Expectations are wonderful, they lead to goals, effort, and excitement. Managing expectations is where the tricky part is. Each of these guys, really the whole team is just a bundle of expectations until the season starts. The main question is, what will the reality be, and will that be acceptable to the recruits, fans and players?

• Go Ducks! 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 7/11/2022 at 5:03 AM, Kurt Rambis said:

The one caveat to this is that it's much easier to develop good technique and habits in a very young player than to fix problems in an older player.  Nix was under other coaches, and Thompson and Butterfield were under Mari at Oregon.  

Moore is more of a blank slate.

Bo Nix's second year at Auburn he had Chad Morris as his OC. Morris is the Guy who started the Clemson tempo spread offence. Taj Boyd was 2 time All-ACC and won ACC player of the year, he threw for over 10K yards and 100 TD's. Morris also recruited Deshaun Watson and was at Clemson through his freshmen year. 

Morris went back to Texas and took the Allen High School job after one year and then Nix had Mike BoBo as his OC-OB coach and he is no slouch.

Point is, Bi Nix has had good coaching and this is the year he needs to make a jump. I feel it's all on Bo.

On 7/11/2022 at 3:04 AM, Log Haulin said:

The pressure is absolutely on Dilly to develop QB's. He is the quarterback coach. Its his job. Especially after the lack of developing a QB of the past several years. Notably JH. 

This is Dillys Eight Mile moment- "you only get one shot, do not miss your chance to blow".......

Dilly has a shot to join the QB Guru club if he pulls this off. 

Top QB recruits' go to guys with proven track records

Therre is reason Quinn Ewers transferred to Texas and Arch Manning just committed and its Coach SARK. 

He was at USC as the QB coach for Palmer, LIenart,, Sanchez, then at Bama with Tua and Mac Jones. 

Lincoln Riley put Mayfield, Murry, Hurts all in the NFL. Now he has Caleb Willimas and Malichi Nelson coming for 2023.

Kilff Kingsbury had Jonny Football, Mayfield his freshman year, Mahomes, David Webb, if he was still in college, he would be getting 5- star QB's 

Davis Cutcliffe had Heath Schuler, P. Manning as OC at Tennessee, then as HC at Old Miss he got E. Manning and he just had Danile Jones at Duke. 

Edited by DazeNconfused

Don’t think I’m ready to put that much pressure on the quarterback coach although he is responsible for the most important position in football.

I do however expect our QB room to be the best it has been in a long time, maybe ever, and Dilly has a huge part in making that work. He has been blessed with getting to coach a lot of great talent.

That being said most great college QBs have been blessed with great talent around them and without those other elements the odds of success are average at best. O line needs to be able to give the QBs the time to do their job. Very difficult to throw the ball while trying to escape a collapsing pocket.

This team is loaded with college elite talent and I truly expect the Ducks to compete in every game and favored in all but the first one at Georgia. Anything less than 10 wins will be a huge disappointment to me.

I am definitely caught up in the hype with this coaching staff as are most of us, going to be an exciting season and we are all in for a treat.

go 🦆🦆🦆s

Edited by Just Ducky
  • Go Ducks! 1
  • Applause 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

No pressure on Coach Dilly. With a room full of loaded guns, and a top defense too, why worry? Coaching is what he does. 

My take is this will be the funnest year of his life -- until next year!

Go Ducks.

• Applause 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

DazeNconfused, thanks for taking the time to put this article together. I really appreciate all the efforts of the fish duck forum writers. This is a great topic to discuss.

This is the point where the rubber meets the road for the entire coaching staff. We all recognize that this staff can recruit top talent. However, the question is can they develope these highly talented players? And QB is at the top of the list 

I agree with you that this is OBD 's strongest QB room ever. Nix should be ready to roll and prove his leadership in the Georgia game.

TT and JB, with proper player developement have no excuse to not step up, also. If the Ducks  want 5 star talent on campus then show they can develope the 5 stars they have on campus now.

GO DUCKS.......

• Thumbs Up 1

On 7/11/2022 at 9:42 AM, HappyToBeADuck said:

DazeNconfused, thanks for taking the time to put this article together. I really appreciate all the efforts of the fish duck forum writers. This is a great topic to discuss.

I appreciate the thank you!

This is my second article, and Charles aka Mr. FishDuck has invested a ton of his time into me. I think people would be amazed if they took a look behind the scenes with the incredible amount of work he puts into parts of this site. I also want to thank my editor Bob Rodes for his help already and in the future. 

I will contribute another 4 articles at least in the next 6 weeks, and I'm able to do that only because of the mentorship being provided to me Mr. FishDuck. 

• Great post! 1
  • Applause 1

On 7/11/2022 at 9:00 AM, Notalot said:

No pressure on Coach Dilly. With a room full of loaded guns, and a top defense too, why worry? Coaching is what he does. 

My take is this will be the funnest year of his life -- until next year!

Go Ducks.

This is a great take and in line with what Charles was saying. Dilly should focus on having fun teaching the game of football, enjoy the moment and go play to win. 

I agree with you both, focus on the outcome you want to achieve!

On 7/11/2022 at 10:01 AM, DazeNconfused said:

This is my second article, and Charles aka Mr. FishDuck has invested a ton of his time into me.

And you sir, are well worth the time invested.  What you have done is what we want from Bo Nix; get some coaching and take-off!

I do appreciate very much your public acknowledgement of the time it takes in just this one area of the two sites, of training a new writer.  But the end result is wonderful, and yes, I mean the articles...but also the satisfaction I get from watching people learn, grow and then kick-butt.

I have become pretty picky about who I put time into, as I let go a new writer recently who had just one article.  For many reasons--I will not put any more time into him.  But you have been fun to work with, and another benefit is having a new Duck-Buddy to talk Oregon Sports with.

It all works!  My thanks...

Mr. FishDuck

On 7/11/2022 at 9:42 AM, HappyToBeADuck said:

I agree with you that this is OBD 's strongest QB room ever.

All three QBs were Rivals 5-Stars, which is harder to obtain, and all three had 6.1 ratings.  The only comparable QB room I can think of is when we had Akili Smith as a senior, with freshman Joey Harrington and AJ Feeley as a sophomore in the room.  Whew!

This QB room now is what Alabama would have....in three 5-Star QBs.  This is elite territory!  Thanks for the great article DazeNconfused!

• Like 2

Mr. FishDuck

Admittedly Dillingham has a low bar to hurdle when it comes to improvement given the last couple years of sub-par QB play/development.  So I think no matter what, we'll see a visible improvement in QB play for the upcoming season. 

Whether it's a step or a leap forward will also depend greatly on the skill positions as we'll have new/young starters at WR and RB.  

• Like 1

I agree there is a lot of pressure now for Mr. Lanning.    I think the real pressure is on the QB coach to present the best QB possible.  Lanning's pressure will be to fire him if he doesn't.  Nix is the first QB we have ever had that has faced the SEC defenses before.  He should, and I believe he will, shred the PAC 12 secondaries.  

• Let’s hope! 1
  • Applause 1