amcdawg

Question for Duck Fans on Non-Conference Games

I was wondering if you guys tended to pull for your conference foes to win non-conference games?  In the SEC it seems like fans pulled for fellow conference members in non-conference games for as long as I can remember.  Other conferences seemed to start doing that more with the advent of the playoff and more focus on strength of schedule.    

Is it maybe a case by case decision?  If you think having a good Utah will help Oregon in a possible playoff scenario so you pull for Utah for that reason?

I am pulling for Utah against florida.  I will not pull for florida unless it directly helps UGA.  Is Washington that team for you guys?  It seems like it based on the comments I read here.

One other thing, do you think the other Pac 12 schools are hoping you beat UGA to help the conference's image or will they want you to lose?  Just curious on your thoughts.

• Great post! 1

I believe most of the league hates us because of our success. It's mutual with UW and uncivilized spoiled children. I didn't pull for any other teams other than the Ducks because if we had a better record I felt it helped us. I know better since we played in the National Championship game. I now or did root for every PAC team but now USC is dead as far as I'm concerned.

• Thumbs Up 1

I would root for conference foes when they are playing non-conference games.  It only makes the conference looks stronger as a whole which only helps Oregon in the long run.

Edited by NJDuck
  • Thumbs Up 3

I take the “good or good” approach with other teams in the conference playing in big nonconference games.

If they win, it’s good for the conference. If they lose, then that’s pretty good too!

The problem is with in-conference games for me. When Washington plays USC… Why can’t they both lose?  😝

• Haha 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

Mr. FishDuck

I would say it is generally similar.... 

Though I think we'd all be happy to see Washington go 0-12 regardless of how it makes the PAC look. 

Otherwise I'd say there is a general "back the PAC" mentality... Or at least there used to be before the LA schools stabbed the whole conference in the back. 

Now I just want everyone, including Washington, to beat the crap out of those LA schools. 

As for Oregon State I tell all my beaver friends that I want them to go 11-1 and I genuinely mean it. They have to lose to Oregon but they can beat everyone else. 

Washington though... I'll only root for them if it helps Oregon. And even then i still want them to suffer in the process. 

My wife went to UW ... Thankfully she doesn't care about football or our marriage never would have worked. 

• Haha 2
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 3

On 7/11/2022 at 7:22 PM, Charles Fischer said:

The problem is with in-conference games for me. When Washington plays USC… Why can’t they both lose?  😝

We kinda had that in 2020... Washington forfeited to Oregon, as they couldn't field a team due to COVID protocols though it wasn't called a forfeit. And then we beat up USC. 

We made BOTH absolutely miserable. One of the finest moments under Cristobal. 

• Thumbs Up 1

In general, I root for whichever team strengthens our schedule.  With teams like the Fuskies, it's a win-win situation.  If they lose, great.  I get a good laugh at their expense.  If they win, then, defeating them bolsters our SOS.

Edited by DuckIt
  • Thumbs Up 1

Personally I pulled for the all the PAC teams in their OOC games save for UW. It wouldn't bother me in the least to see them never win another football game. 

I've never been a fan of USC either, but now they'll find themselves along side UW in that my 2 favorite teams are Oregon and whomever is playing against UW and USC.  I have to imagine I feel much like those stoic Duck fans of yesteryear that were alive to see us betrayed back in 1948.  As much as I hate to admit it, I might actually detest USC more now than UW since I was alive to see their betrayal happen in real time...

• Thumbs Up 1

Normally I would root for Pac-12 teams in their OOC games.  This year I want USC to just get pummeled outside the Pac-12.  All the other teams I will still root for to win outside the conference.  Well with one exception,  I'm kind of ambivalent toward Washington this year.  Normally I root against Washington as their fans are delusional and insufferable. 

Washington gets a one year hiatus from being in the dog house!

• Haha 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 7/11/2022 at 7:22 PM, David Marsh said:

Now I just want everyone, including Washington, to beat the crap out of those LA schools. 

As for Oregon State I tell all my beaver friends that I want them to go 11-1 and I genuinely mean it. They have to lose to Oregon but they can beat everyone else. 

This is exactly how I see it too. From now on, I want and actually expect. USC and UCLA to be bombarded with boo's from start to finish for every road game, in every sport, The Jane can get pretty loud. As for the Beavs, I want wins because then it's more impressive when we beat 'em. The Huskies have enough trouble winning now I don't need to really think about their games, and of course, Go Utes, beat FlorDUH!

• Haha 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

I am hoping Utah beats Florida.  An Oregon loss to Georgia will not hurt the conference like a Utah loss to Florida will.  If both Utah and Oregon lose you can put a fork in the Pac 10.

• Let’s hope! 1

I pull for PAC 12 teams to win their OOC games for the most part. That said, I have a hard time pulling for the fuskies no matter who they play!

Like David, I would be fine with the Beavs winning all but the Duck game.  PAC 12 wins in OOC games makes the Duck strength of schedule look better.

Now that the 2 laLA schools are going to be OOC games, I definitely was PAC 12 teams to thump them.

On 7/11/2022 at 7:24 PM, David Marsh said:

We kinda had that in 2020... Washington forfeited to Oregon, as they couldn't field a team due to COVID protocols though it wasn't called a forfeit. And then we beat up USC. 

We made BOTH absolutely miserable. One of the finest moments under Cristobal. 

Though 2020 was a miserable year for the most part, I loved ordering (and now wearing) my 2020 Conference Champs hat!  It only means something to doogs or rubbers 🤣

Another item is the OSU beaver fans would love to see us lose every game. Oregon fans, mostly, don't care to see the beavs lose until they play The Ducks.

We probably wouldn't care if the Washington dawgs won some games, but then they just get so full of themselves so we pretty much want them to lose all their games.

We have a lot of respect for the Utah program, and their coach. We definitely want them to beat Florida. We can agree on that game.

I actually just want to see Oregon play a great effort game with integrity against Georgia. A clean hard fought win or loss is fine with me. I feel like we will see Lanning's first stamp on the program and seeing clean, smart, effort is what I want to see again. Noah Sewell is the player to watch. He just flat out knows how to play football the way football was meant to be played, enjoy.

Winning against tosu was sweet, but the team wasn't ready to run the schedule. I doubt this team is mature enough either so a loss might do us good. I will take a win too, but won't be able to watch the game so just be a good game!

As a Utah fan, I generally cheer for pac-12 teams in non-conference games - but NEVER for the spoiled children, and mostly never for the devils unless it really helps us.  Never been a big fan of the purple team, so easy to support the forum and cheer against them now!

I will be pulling for the Ducks 100% against Georgia ( I think they at least cover) and every other game until 11/19.   I think there are a lot of fans in Utah that feel similarly.  Respect the Ducks and hate those L.A. traitors.

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 7/13/2022 at 8:50 AM, Goutes18 said:

I will be pulling for the Ducks 100% against Georgia ( I think they at least cover) and every other game until 11/19.   I think there are a lot of fans in Utah that feel similarly.  Respect the Ducks and hate those L.A. traitors.

Utah's rise to the top of the Pac to me is very similar to UO's rise under Rich Brooks. Slow but steady march up from the bottom based on tough nosed football. By finding the right 2-3 star guys and coaching them up, they finally surpassed USC and the fuskies. I look forward to some great games with Utah in the future with both teams looking at the playoffs with a win.

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1