DrJacksPlaidPants

Is Dan Lanning Ranked Too Low or Too High?

Personally, I think he’s ranked too high. He’s the only unproven HC of the group. As we all know, great recruiting doesn’t always translate to great coaching.

USATSI_18088823.jpg?w=640
DUCKSWIRE.USATODAY.COM

Dan Lanning is yet to get a game under his belt as a head coach. That’s reflective in his ranking...

Since they don't know how long DL has been coaching....... Ugh! Gonna have to bypass the article.

On 7/12/2022 at 9:57 AM, 1Funduck said:

Since they don't know how long DL has been coaching....... Ugh! Gonna have to bypass the article.

Maybe I missed something, but what 'head coaching' experience does he have that they missed?

Park Hill South High School as the special teams coordinator, defensive backs coach, and wide receivers coach.

He was subsequently hired as a graduate assistant at Pittsburgh for one season before following Graham to Arizona State as a graduate assistant. He was promoted in 2013 to the on-campus recruiting coordinator.

He was hired away to be the defensive backs coach and co-recruiting coordinator at Sam Houston State in March 2014.

He spent 2015 as a graduate assistant at Alabama, where the Crimson Tide defeated Clemson 45–40 in the CFP National Championship game.

Lanning was hired to be the inside linebackers coach and recruiting coordinator at Memphis in December 2015, reuniting with Mike Norvell who was the offensive coordinator at Arizona State when Lanning was a graduate assistant and on-campus recruiting coordinator.

Lanning was hired in 2018 by Georgia as the outside linebackers coach.  After Bulldogs defensive coordinator Mel Tucker left to accept the head coaching position at Colorado after the 2018 season, Lanning was promoted to defensive coordinator in addition to his duties as the outside linebackers coach.

*information linked from Wikipedia*

We will be finding out some things in a little over 50 days.

On 7/12/2022 at 8:06 AM, Wrathis said:

Maybe I missed something, but what 'head coaching' experience does he have that they missed?

I believe that he has said when he was in high school he coached a third-grade basketball team. 😄

• Haha 1

So many indications that he will be a good coach. He is young, brings energy, and is a student of the game. He was able to bring stability to this team immediately by helping save some top talent from leaving that felt abandoned by MC. 

Lanning brought in a solid coaching staff, many who have worked with him in the past. They made the  decision that working with him as their boss was a solid career decision. Speaks loudly in my book. It is being reported that he has been communicating his vision to his staff and allowing them to do their job. 

He and his staff may very well be the best recruiters we have had at Oregon, and the team is having fun playing a game they love. 

He may very well be vastly underrated, only time will tell. 

Edited by Drake
  • Great post! 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

If all we are basing this on is what we know so far, he is at the top of the list. Come game time we will be able to judge better.

I will also say the only reason Chip is even on the list is because he coached at Oregon. He is middle of the pac at best, certainly not ahead of Shaw at Stanford.

I also give Rickert more respect than they do. He beat the dawgs in the Apple Cup and took over a dumpster fire and won some games. I mean has a an even record and was in every game last year. CK has a losing record in the middle of a recruiting hotbed while sc was terrible.

What he should have done is put Whittingham at the top and Lanning as the guy with the chance to take over the Pac-10. Shaw as the top of the mediocre group of coaches, with Rickert as the dark horse to make some noise.  Deboer may be a good coach, but he has to take over the dawgs, quite the disadvantage. Wilcox is also mediocre and very happy to be that way!

• Thumbs Up 2

Lanning put together a top notch coaching staff and held together a splintering recruiting class all while game planning a smothering defensive scheme for the mighty Bama in a championship game. Outside of Coach Smart himself, can anybody really claim to be in his league?

• Mic drop 1

We will soon see and be exposed to the Lanning Way. Hold on to your hats, this isn't going to be the usual first time HC. He is going to be one of the best coaches in CFB sooner than people think. Can't wait!