NJDuck

Canzano: ESPN Plays Kingmaker as Pac-12 Waits...Plus, a Dutch Bros Laugh...and a Lawsuit Looms

"ESPN is in an exclusive, 30-day negotiating window with the conference right now.  Canzano believe that explains why we've had a lull when it comes to realignment news.  The conference members are waiting to see what kind of offer the Pac 12 will get."

According to what Canzano source (Thompson) said, "ESPN needs Pac 12 more than anybody and will likely pay more than anyone else.  Interesting that ESPN, according to Thompson, likes the West Coast window for football and basketball inventory.  They might be  willing to make something out of the Pac 12 network and need content for ESPN+."

Some more interesting information from Thompson as well as other info in this article worth reading.

Edited by NJDuck

Some good information here, although this makes me pause....

• Thompson negotiated dozens of these kinds of deals with a variety of conferences in his career. He said that ESPN may decide to make a shrewd offer to the Pac-12, knowing that it if it’s rejected, the conference is likely to fall apart and have a handful of members end up with the Big 12. “ESPN,” he said, “can then go after those rights buoyed by the fact that they have $$$ in their pocket that they didn't pay the Pac 12.”

For me, it is a article that tortures me with the possibilities, because ESPN could save the Pac-10, or destroy it.  The thought that we are in ESPN's hands....our destiny is tied to their decisions and working with them makes me ill.

giphy.gif

• Yikes! 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

Mr. FishDuck

On 7/12/2022 at 1:02 PM, Charles Fischer said:

• Thompson negotiated dozens of these kinds of deals with a variety of conferences in his career. He said that ESPN may decide to make a shrewd offer to the Pac-12, knowing that it if it’s rejected, the conference is likely to fall apart and have a handful of members end up with the Big 12. “ESPN,” he said, “can then go after those rights buoyed by the fact that they have $$$ in their pocket that they didn't pay the Pac 12.

For me, it is a article that tortures me with the possibilities, because ESPN could save the Pac-10, or destroy it.  The thought that we are in ESPN's hands....our destiny is tied to their decisions and working with them makes me ill.

I agree!  It does bother me that ESPN is the only one in this 30-day negotiation window that Pac-12 is talking with.  I wish there was more entities at play during this period where ESPN is not holding all the cards.

Edited by NJDuck

What worries me is ESPN's proclivity for scheduling PAC games at night. I hate night games, I hate the "PAC-12 After Dark" motto, as I've always felt it was more like "PAC12, Afterthought."

But I will cross my fingers that somehow something good will come of this.

• Thumbs Up 3

Does Fox/B1G expect USC and UCLA to always play the late games to get in the PST window?  2 teams isn't enough to fill the PST sports window.  I think everybody was talking about how much money USC and UCLA are going to get, but not much about scheduling.

I'm not sure how interested kids are going to be travelling 2K+ miles up to 15 times a year for some sports.

I'm sure there are Olympic programs at USC/UCLA that won't be affected, but I have a feeling some will take a recruiting hit because of all the traveling.  

It has been mentioned before, College Football is the 2nd most popular sport in the US.  I can tell you, if Oregon is left out of whatever the world looks like, I won't be interested.  If they go to a big 2, I won't hardly watch.  it will be like the MLB for me.  I'll maybe watch the finals.

College fan bases are way more localized and if you reduce the "it" teams to 32-36 teams, I have a feeling TV ratings will crash.  College isn't the NFL.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 7/12/2022 at 1:15 PM, Annie said:

What worries me is ESPN's proclivity for scheduling PAC games at night. I hate night games, I hate the "PAC-12 After Dark" motto, as I've always felt it was more like "PAC12, Afterthought."

But I will cross my fingers that somehow something good will come of this.

I agree Annie.  I too do not like PAC12 After Dark.  I do not want to go back to that with the new negotiations.  I am hoping Oregon as well as others will say a big NO on this.  But, not sure what clout Pac 12 has in these negotiations since Pac 12 is in a weaken state.

Edited by NJDuck
  • Thumbs Up 1

Here's my conspiracy theory that may have a bit of truth to it: USC wants Oregon left out of the BIG10....since the late 90's they've played 17 times with Oregon winning 11 and 7 of the last 10....Oregon out recruits USC in their own backyard and USC is gonna need those guys....and they couldn't care less about UCLA.

It's all about TV revenue....does anybody really think Oregon vs any of the top BIG10 schools won't draw heavy ratings?....whether USC gave it a wink and a nod or just came out and said it to the powers that be in the mid west, USC does not want Oregon in the BIG.....laugh all you want but USC's been Oregon's little brother for the better part of two decades.....just a thought.

• Applause 1

If ESPN does provide a reasonable offer it's a short term deal 2 years maybe or there are exit options that are not costly.    We all know if Notre Dame stands pat then in two years (estimate) we get to ride this roller coaster again. 

Next time it will probably involve the ACC.   That is going to get messy!

On 7/12/2022 at 10:38 AM, RkyMtnGuy said:

Here's my conspiracy theory that may have a bit of truth to it: USC wants Oregon left out of the BIG10....since the late 90's they've played 17 times with Oregon winning 11 and 7 of the last 10....Oregon out recruits USC in their own backyard and USC is gonna need those guys....and they couldn't care less about UCLA.

It's all about TV revenue....does anybody really think Oregon vs any of the top BIG10 schools won't draw heavy ratings?....whether USC gave it a wink and a nod or just came out and said it to the powers that be in the mid west, USC does not want Oregon in the BIG.....laugh all you want but USC's been Oregon's little brother for the better part of two decades.....just a thought.

A slight correction,

We have owned USC since 2007 when we made our first true run at the Natty.  Heck, we even coined the term Natty!

But we were not good enough twenty years ago to challenge Pete Carroll's stormtroopers.

But we are now.