kirklandduck

Sources Saying Pac-12 Schools Will Stick Together

a7lnwus1ptkub4asmpkz
UTAH.RIVALS.COM

Sometimes the best move to make is not making a major move at all. As USC and UCLA accepted invitations to the Big 10…

Obviously these "sources" aren't revealed so no one can really say if they're legit ones or not. 

But assuming for the moment that it's true, could GK be planning something big by buying time for a year or two?

Edited by kirklandduck

If you put this together with the Canzano article...it would seem that the upcoming announcement in the above article would give support to ESPN, and assure that evil channel, that yes--we intend to stick together and thus you can put together a good package for us.

Or would the announcement be for other entities?  The streaming services?

• Let’s hope! 1

Mr. FishDuck

On 7/12/2022 at 1:57 PM, Charles Fischer said:

If you put this together with the Canzano article...it would seem that the upcoming announcement in the above article would give support to ESPN, and assure that evil channel, that yes--we intend to stick together and thus you can put together a good package for us.

My hope is other entities/streaming services are in play, not just ESPN-evil channel is in play.  Love your sentiment!

Edited by NJDuck

The Pac was already becoming irrelevant in football.   USC and UCLA going to the BIG is a dagger.  Utah will always win the South.  Oregon will always win the North.  Due to superior coaching in Utah and superior athletes in Oregon. I do not see any way that the new Pac 10 without USC is better off.     I'm wondering if the new ceiling for us Duck fans is winning a pac-10 title now?

On 7/12/2022 at 10:57 AM, Charles Fischer said:

Maybe a combination of both?

Maybe ESPN covers everything west of the Mississippi and streaming service east of it???

On 7/12/2022 at 11:16 AM, Pac10again said:

The Pac was already becoming irrelevant in football.   USC and UCLA going to the BIG is a dagger.  Utah will always win the South.  Oregon will always win the North.  Due to superior coaching in Utah and superior athletes in Oregon. I do not see any way that the new Pac 10 without USC is better off.     I'm wondering if the new ceiling for us Duck fans is winning a pac-10 title now?

Let's see the on-field results before you write the conference or Oregon off.  You may be pleasantly surprised...

• Thumbs Up 1

Mr. FishDuck

On 7/12/2022 at 11:40 AM, Charles Fischer said:

Let's see the on-field results before you write the conference or Oregon off.  You may be pleasantly surprised...

Agreed... USC has only won the south twice since it became the pac-12 and the conference once. 

UCLA has only won the south twice and never won the conference. You can move one of those division wins to USC if you like as USC was disqualified from post season activities in 2011. 

But still... The la schools have not been anywhere near dominant and they have been barely relevant.

• Thumbs Up 2

On 7/12/2022 at 10:57 AM, Charles Fischer said:

Given the huge amount of market penetration by streaming services like Amazon Prime, Netflix, Apple+, etc. I wouldn't be surprised if GK is using that as a backstop in negotiations.  ESPN very much knows that the other streaming providers will eat their lunch if they're not careful.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 7/12/2022 at 2:16 PM, Pac10again said:

Oregon went to the playoff in 2014 without ever having played USC. The only good teams they played that season were Michigan State and Arizona (twice) and they had a loss to Arizona. Everything will depend on preseason rankings, talent acquisition, and non-conference performance. That’s how Clemson made the playoff so many times in a weak ACC.

On 7/12/2022 at 12:48 PM, DrJacksPlaidPants said:

Oregon went to the playoff in 2014 without ever having played USC. The only good teams they played that season were Michigan State and Arizona (twice) and they had a loss to Arizona. Everything will depend on preseason rankings, talent acquisition, and non-conference performance. That’s how Clemson made the playoff so many times in a weak ACC.

If the current criteria of making the playoffs remains... Basically be a power five team that goes undefeated or with one loss and a conference championship... Oregon will do fine with a weaker conference. 

I think the rear comes I'd this criteria changes. 

Even in a finished no la schools PAC the PAC is still way way way way better off than G5 conferences. Remember Boise State and the mountain west only makes about 4mil odd media rights annually. 

The fear comes from being in limbo between the super conferences and the G5s. 

On 7/12/2022 at 12:45 PM, kirklandduck said:

Given the huge amount of market penetration by streaming services 

That's what she said 

Sorry... 

Sweet! ESPN!

Every game will have a 1930 or later start time.

"Pac12 After-Saturday-Is-Over"

Or something like that 

On 7/12/2022 at 11:16 AM, Pac10again said:

I want more and I think every other true fan wants more. We still have a chance at CFPO every year as long as we play a strong ooc. Oh and as long as we win of course.

Which my gut tells me this team is on a mission to get the stench out of their mouths from last year. They have the talent. They have the experience. They are having fun again and will be playing loose because of it.

Can't wait to see the Ducks Fly High and bring us back to playing like we did in the 2009 thru 2014 yrs.  

Go Ducks Fly High.

• Thumbs Up 2

On 7/12/2022 at 12:45 PM, kirklandduck said:

Given the huge amount of market penetration by streaming services like Amazon Prime, Netflix, Apple+, etc. I wouldn't be surprised if GK is using that as a backstop in negotiations.  ESPN very much knows that the other streaming providers will eat their lunch if they're not careful.

Good gosh I hope you are right!  You need a savvy media negotiator who has experience, and I'm glad we have George and not Larry!

• Let’s hope! 1
  • Thumbs Up 3

Mr. FishDuck

On 7/12/2022 at 12:52 PM, David Marsh said:

Oregon will do fine with a weaker conference. 

Just as Clemson did when they rose from the ashes of losing to dominate their conference and go on to Playoffs and 'Nattys.

What I worry about is...to compete with B1G/SEC programs in football, more of the budget pie at Oregon will need to go to football and thus sports will have to be cut.  I know I've said this before, and I guess I am just trying to get used to the idea.

Another Bomb_Deborah Mundorff of GoDucks.com.jpg

Mr. FishDuck

Its hard to imagine an exclusive foot ball club (B1G/SEC) can rightfully call it a National Championship game that doesn't include a path for Clemson, Florida State, Miami, Oregon, Notre Dame and others who were in top-10 rankings, participated or won a Title in recent history.  After all isn't a Title, not money, the ultimate goal.

I think the path through the PAC is easier than going through the mid-west in November. (As UCLA/USC will painfully discover)

Just win baby win.  They rest will sort out.

• Like 1

On 7/12/2022 at 1:02 PM, shawnski said:

Sweet! ESPN!

Every game will have a 1930 or later start time.

"Pac12 After-Saturday-Is-Over"

Or something like that 

Props for the use of military time.  I wish, like the European date format (day-month-year) was more widely used in this country 

This feels like a strategic pause.  Nothing optimal is presenting itself at the moment so slow down, signal a complete willingness to stay at 10 rather than panic and see where that takes you. 

That probably means any 10 team media deal will be short in term to preserve option value in a potentially dynamic/unstable landscape 

• Thumbs Up 1

On 7/12/2022 at 1:49 PM, CalBear95 said:

This feels like a strategic pause.

Good point.

Mr. FishDuck

On 7/12/2022 at 1:46 PM, CalBear95 said:

Props for the use of military time.  I wish, like the European date format (day-month-year) was more widely used in this country 

I wish the week was Saturday thru Sunday, rinse and repeat.  But I am just getting old and cranky.

• Go Ducks! 1

It’s fascinating how, across the board, those fans of schools not being promoted in the media as contenders for top-tier conference membership are sounding the sage-like advice to wait, stay put, or form alliances, while the fans of schools supposedly being courted are channeling Chicken Little’s “the sky is falling!”, afraid of being left behind. 

It’s like watching a CFB version of 2012.

On 7/12/2022 at 4:30 PM, Charles Fischer said:

Just as Clemson did when they rose from the ashes of losing to dominate their conference and go on to Playoffs and 'Nattys.

What I worry about is...to compete with B1G/SEC programs in football, more of the budget pie at Oregon will need to go to football and thus sports will have to be cut.  I know I've said this before, and I guess I am just trying to get used to the idea.

If Oregon is going to be the face of the Pac12 as the anchor, maybe negotiation for a bigger cut of the pie is warranted.   Though I am sure that will go over like a thud with the other 9 schools.

It wasn't that many years ago that Oregon State was nicknamed the giant killers and Oregon desperately needed equal revenue sharing to maintain an athletic department.  Is it truly a league if one or two schools demand unequal shares?

On 7/12/2022 at 3:14 PM, McDuck said:

It wasn't that many years ago that Oregon State was nicknamed the giant killers and Oregon desperately needed equal revenue sharing to maintain an athletic department.  Is it truly a league if one or two schools demand unequal shares?

no... but the game has changed completely. You can really see the Pac's decline is mirrored by our lack of playoff berths. Larry did a lot to help make things worse too by not getting a good flow of money into the conference which hindered on field results.

Getting to the playoff = revenue

And how many teams in the pac can do that?

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 7/12/2022 at 3:47 PM, David Marsh said:

no... but the game has changed completely. You can really see the Pac's decline is mirrored by our lack of playoff berths. Larry did a lot to help make things worse too by not getting a good flow of money into the conference which hindered on field results.

Yes

It's a totally different world now. The $$$ amounts are so insane that it will (or is) become an all or nothing game.

Schools will start dropping out. 

Sadly schools like OSU (ours) and WSU will be in danger 

On 7/12/2022 at 3:47 PM, David Marsh said:

And how many teams in the pac can do that?

Oregon is really not lacking resources, they suffer in part because the perception of the league is weak.  They don't perform well OOC.  How does unequal revenue distribution help the lower half of the conference become competitive? 

On 7/12/2022 at 4:54 PM, NJDuck said:

Though I am sure that will go over like a thud with the other 9 schools.

The other 9 are always free to negotiate own their own.

On 7/12/2022 at 5:10 PM, McDuck said:

How does unequal revenue distribution help the lower half of the conference become competitive? 

How have those schools used equal revenue share over the decades to become competitive today?

Teams should keep a larger share of their football playoff and NCAA basketball tournament distributions, as a reward for investing in those teams and having the success on the field/court. 

• Applause 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

I just read there's a lawsuit in CA making it way on the scene about UCLALA being in the Public School system also one in OR asking our governor to tie OSU to any move the Ducks might make.

On 7/12/2022 at 11:40 AM, Charles Fischer said:

Agreed.  I should have ended my question differently.  Without an undefeated season and a strong non-conference win, is a Pac 10 title the best we can do?  

On 7/13/2022 at 9:58 AM, Pac10again said:

Without an undefeated season and a strong non-conference win, is a Pac 10 title the best we can do?  

No.  If BYU is great and we beat them, but lose to Georgia and go 11-1...and win the Pac-12 and go 12-1....if we were in that spot--the buzz about Lanning and Oregon would be strong.  It would depend upon how well so many other teams do, but I believe 12-1 gives us good shot at the Playoff.

That is my fantasy....and I'm sticking to it!

• Thumbs Up 6
  • Like 2

Mr. FishDuck

On 7/13/2022 at 10:02 AM, Charles Fischer said:

No.  If BYU is great and we beat them, but lose to Georgia and go 11-1...and win the Pac-12 and go 12-1....if we were in that spot--the buzz about Lanning and Oregon would be strong.  It would depend upon how well so many other teams do, but I believe 12-1 gives us good shot at the Playoff.

+1000 To me that's the ceiling for Oregon next season.  Will they reach it?  Maybe.  Would it be a horrendous failure if they went 11-2 or 10-3?  Nope.  A double digit win season in the first year of a coaching regime change is a big win in my book.

• Thumbs Up 3

On 7/13/2022 at 10:02 AM, Charles Fischer said:

I don't find it that fantastical.

• Oh no! 1

There are reports still saying a Big 12 - Pac 12 merger makes the most sense

On 7/13/2022 at 2:31 PM, curtisd316 said:

There are reports still saying a Big 12 - Pac 12 merger makes the most sense

Maybe a possibility in a few years or more But The PAC needs TV $$$$ NOW.

On 7/13/2022 at 7:51 PM, 1Ducker1 said:

Maybe a possibility in a few years or more But The PAC needs TV $$$$ NOW.

They said with just the 10 you have the money and eye balls just wont be there for a decent tv deal

On 7/13/2022 at 4:54 PM, curtisd316 said:

They said with just the 10 you have the money and eye balls just wont be there for a decent tv deal

People have been saying a lot of things lately. The BIG12 is not going to share current TV revenue with oncoming PAC schools either.

I would add that Oregon usually has pretty good NAT TV ratings and draws about 2 plus Mill viewers a game. More than a whole whole bunch of Big 12 teams

Edited by 1Ducker1

On 7/13/2022 at 8:29 PM, 1Ducker1 said:

People have been saying a lot of things lately. The BIG12 is not going to share current TV revenue with oncoming PAC schools either.

Merging completely with Big 12 and a loose Alliance with the ACC are 2 different things

On 7/13/2022 at 5:33 PM, curtisd316 said:

Merging completely with Big 12 and a loose Alliance with the ACC are 2 different things

yup and neither will benefit the PAC for a long time --revenue speaking

On 7/13/2022 at 8:35 PM, 1Ducker1 said:

yup and neither will benefit the PAC for a long time --revenue speaking

Actually thats false the numbers back up the PAC 12 teams need to be joining the BIG 12 for a way better pay day

On 7/13/2022 at 5:42 PM, curtisd316 said:

Actually thats false the numbers back up the PAC 12 teams need to be joining the BIG 12 for a way better pay day

UMM the BIG12 has not offered Oregon anything so how could that be?