DrJacksPlaidPants

Top 25 College Towns? Eugene Snubbed!

Corvallis made the Top 25 Best College Towns. I don’t know what criteria was used, but I assume beet farming is in there somewhere. 

Cal?

Last time I was down for a Duck game (in my jersey) they asked me why I was there and who was playing.

Sheesh 

• Haha 1

Cal? Ore. St.? Bulldozers are at Reser digging up interest while Oregon just finished construction on the premier Track & Field stadium in the world. In Berkeley I expect that 70% of the fans don't know when the first game is on, much less when or who the Bears are playing. Watching the Pac-12 Network has shown one thing above all, the crowds at home games for Oregon are the biggest and the loudest. 

• Thumbs Up 1

I don't think football or sports is the main criteria for a lot of these

• Applause 2

I went to a game in Chapel Hill the year before Mack took over. They were playing Louisville with the Heisman winning QB (Lamar Jackson) and the MBB team was getting their rings at halftime. Hardly anybody showed up and you could clearly hear Jackson’s audibles. Now, the Dean Dome? That’s a whole different ballgame.

Here is the criteria, and it is suppose to be a website which students, parents refer to when picking a school.

"There are a lot of things that have to click to make a truly great college town. Whether it's feeling the palpable vibe of an alma mater, having tons to do, or the fact that your college town is a great place to stay after you've graduated, we've worked to provide you with a quality list of the best college towns in the nation."

Not sure how anywhere in the Bay Area with it's prices is a good place to stay after you have graduated, but every website has a way of measuring how to make money, I suppose.

It’s college towns, not ‘which universities have the most spirited and savvy students’

Berkeley is insanely fun as a college town.  I love that place and every true fan of the university student’s life agrees with me. 

I cannot speak to why Eugene isn’t on the list as I always have fun there.  

• Thumbs Up 1

On 7/12/2022 at 1:37 PM, Haywarduck said:

Here is the criteria, and it is suppose to be a website which students, parents refer to when picking a school.

"There are a lot of things that have to click to make a truly great college town. Whether it's feeling the palpable vibe of an alma mater, having tons to do, or the fact that your college town is a great place to stay after you've graduated, we've worked to provide you with a quality list of the best college towns in the nation."

Not sure how anywhere in the Bay Area with it's prices is a good place to stay after you have graduated, but every website has a way of measuring how to make money, I suppose.

Cost of living is certainly important but there is no way you can slag the City or Berkeley from a quality of living standpoint.  

I moved to the City after graduation and was dirt poor making $21k (and that isn’t all that long ago) and I can think of not better experience in one’s 20s.  

On 7/12/2022 at 1:43 PM, CalBear95 said:

Cost of living is certainly important but there is no way you can slag the City or Berkeley from a quality of living standpoint.  

I moved to the City after graduation and was dirt poor making $21k (and that isn’t all that long ago) and I can think of not better experience in one’s 20s.  

Not arguing Berkley is a fun place to live as a college student, but after graduating the average student is homeless, or stuck renting. I'm just using 'bestcollegereviews' own criteria, and wondering what's up. The typical home value of homes in Berkeley is $1,718,898. The typical home value of homes in Eugene is $488,642. 

I suppose we just see things differently. I wouldn't want to live any part of my life in a city. To each his own, respectfully disagree.

On 7/12/2022 at 3:45 PM, Joe Sixpack said:

Ignoribg

Thanks for your thoughts. 

Now that our lecture on how untraveled Duck fans, and alumni is over…..Faber College rocks, TOGA!!!!!!

Edited by Drake

On 7/12/2022 at 4:08 PM, JDuck said:

I don't think football or sports is the main criteria for a lot of these

What is the main criteria I wonder.  I’m a little biased for sure, but if Athens, GA doesn’t even make it into the top 25, I’m not taking the list seriously. 

On 7/12/2022 at 5:07 PM, SoGaDawg said:

What is the main criteria I wonder.

Probably that the voter live in the town they nominate.

I assume beet farming is in there somewhere

"Bears eat beets. Bears beat Battlestar Galactica."

I'm just sayin'.

• Haha 2

On 7/12/2022 at 8:26 PM, Steven A said:

Probably that the voter live in the town they nominate.

Yea maybe, I’ve spent time in many of the cities mentioned in this list.  Mostly work related.  I have fond memories of Madison, Ann Arbor, Aimes, and to a lesser degree even Gainesville, Tallahassee, and Pittsburgh.  All of these places I’ve encountered very friendly people and has good times.  I don’t really understand how Pitt is considered a college town.  I’d love to visit Eugene, but haven’t had the pleasure yet.  Still this list makes little sense to me.  

Fun to get worked up about something other than conference realignment !   

Sorry Pitt - Can’t be on this list if you are home to an NFL team and more than a million people

No to Fargo - must be above zero degrees for more than 6 months a year to make any “best” list

Minnesota - see above

Corvallis ? ? ?

• Haha 2

On 7/12/2022 at 9:59 PM, Desert Duck said:

I assume beet farming is in there somewhere

"Bears eat beets. Bears beat Battlestar Galactica."

I'm just sayin'.

Dwight? Is that you?

• Haha 1
  • Thumbs Up 1