DuckIt

Arch Manning, a 3-Star Recruit?

According to Mike Farrell, recruiting analyst expert and the National Recruiting Director at Rivals.com, Arch Manning is vastly overrated and would be a "three-star recruit were it not for his last name: Manning."

oklahoma-state-v-texas.jpg
THESPUN.COM

Arch Manning is the No. 1 recruit in the 2023 cycle. Does his last name have something to do with that? Major recruiting analyst...

• Thumbs Up 2

Yeah, he doesn’t compete on the 7x7 circuit and other competitions. I wondered if the family is trying to hide some weaknesses. 

I think that Farrell, who is very controversial in the opinion of recruitniks that live recruiting, is vastly undervaluing  Arch's  understanding of the game and ability to read defenses at the  line of scrimmage. These things are not really necessary for 7 on 7 drills at the camps. Arch is good  but not great at the physical  aspects of the game.

I've heard that Georgia's OC Todd Monken values a QB's understanding of the game as much or more as the person's raw physical attributes and  athleticism.  That is why he was all in on Arch. There were probably at least five QBs in the 23 class with better physical attributes than Arch. Heck, you guys now have a commitment from one of them. 

• Applause 2

On 7/12/2022 at 10:28 PM, Nevada Dawg said:

I've heard that Georgia's OC Todd Monken values a QB's understanding of the game as much or more as the person's raw physical attributes and  athleticism.  That is why he was all in on Arch. There were probably at least five QBs in the 23 class with better physical attributes than Arch. Heck, you guys now have a commitment from one of them. 

That basically sums up Tom Brady.

On 7/12/2022 at 10:28 PM, Nevada Dawg said:

I think that Farrell, who is very controversial in the opinion of recruitniks that live recruiting, is vastly undervaluing  Arch's  understanding of the game and ability to read defenses at the  line of scrimmage. These things are not really necessary for 7 on 7 drills at the camps. Arch is good  but not great at the physical  aspects of the game.

Yes I believe we got the better of all of them. Now we have to keep him. You know all the other programs are still trying to take him away.

• Applause 1

Unless football recruiters are vastly different than basketball recruiters, then Farrell is a lot of hot air.  Look at the recent rankings of former NBA player kids.  I don't think a single one is 5 stars.  Wade, Pippen, James, O'neal, etc none of them were given 5 stars.  Half of them weren't even 4 stars.  The last name Manning certainly brought eyes to the kid, but any recruiter that wants to remain legit gives real rankings to talent level.

Don't forget the stars do get skewed according to which teams offer scholarships.  You get scholarship offer from Alabama and ND you essentially get a 1/2 star boost.

I haven't seen him, only heard about him. Where understanding the game is important, you can teach that. You can improve on some of the physical abilities, some just can't be taught. 

As long as he has enough physical ability to make the plays he sees with his eyes and understands with his mind, he could be great!

The thing about Brady is he has all the throws. Yeah, most of the time he makes the easiest throw available, but when he has to he makes the hard ones too. Not the best arm, but good enough. 

Of course Arch has a long way to go to even be mentioned in the same sentence with.   

Tom Brady..

A lot will have to do with fit for what the OC wants to do.