FishDuck Article

What Is Oregon’s Most Important Game of 2022?

Which game is the most important? It’s impossible to talk about key games for the Ducks without bringing ...

Noah-Sewell-Spring-Game_Gary-Breedlove_F
FISHDUCK.COM

In college football, every game is critical. The outcome of one game can determine the trajectory of a team's entire season. Oregon has no shortage of important...

Two Sites: FishDuck and the Our Beloved Ducks forum, The only "Forum with Decorum!" And All-Volunteer? What a wonderful community of Duck fans!

Joshua highlighted big game head-to-head match ups. Most fans forecast a 9 or 10 win season in 2022.

Optimists like me hope for an amazing 12-win perfect regular season. Every game is critical to that objective. 

The Ducks have had winning years where they stumbled once or twice and lost games they were capable of winning.

Don't hold your breath, but wouldn't it be fun to watch the 2022 Ducks run the table? Go Ducks!

• Thumbs Up 1

It all starts with Georgia. That is the most important game if we must choose one. Uncle Chuck is correct. Every game matters and even one loss likely derails title hopes. 

However, Georgia is a measuring stick for many things about Oregon football. 

Lanning and the other coaches, can they coach, develop, motivate, and scheme? 

Can Lanning and coaches make in game adjustments? 

Do our Jimmy’s and Joe’s compare favorably to Georgia’s fairly well known talent? 

I think the Ducks are well positioned to win this game for a number of reasons. 

They physical attributes of our overhauled WR and RB room are diametrically opposite to last years starters. Speed size and length are all increased, which combined with a more experienced TE room likely creates scenarios unavailable last season, like 5 pass catchers over 6’3 at one time. 

The return of Justin Flowe and Defensive front improvements. Yes KT is gone but Taki and others should help slow the run game and give the LB something to feed on. 

Georgia represents a huge opportunity and is a likely trap game for Georgia.

Overconfidence and with an immobile short quarterback who will need perfect protection and replacing many many starters which no matter how talented likely leads to missed assignments and opportunity. 

I’d take 17, I might even bet the Ducks straight up. To me, Georgia sets the tone for it all and is critical is validating the off-season of massive change. It’s THE most important game for THE Oregon Ducks just like beat THE team last year could have been had there not been so much Cri$tobull$hit towards the end of the season. 

Edited by Vandownbytheriverduck
Spelling punctuation. The usual.
  • Thumbs Up 2

On 7/13/2022 at 8:01 AM, Vandownbytheriverduck said:

Georgia represents a huge opportunity and is a likely trap game for Georgia.

I get it, and it could very well be a trap game. However, I find it highly unlikely as they follow this game with Samford, South Carolina and then Kent St. No, I think we are the highlight and won't at all be overlooked. They will be ready, prepared and expecting a fight. It's a top 25 matchup against their former Defensive Coordinator and in their own backyard.

If anything, South Carolina sandwiched between Samford and Kent St would be the trap game for them to stumble at but rest assured, they'll be ready for us...and it's my expectation we'll be ready for them. I think the 17 points is fair and if we can keep it within 10, I'll consider that a win. That being said, I think we do have an outside chance to win this game but it will be done with X's and O's and taking risks (blitzing, downfield throws etc).  If we try to match big on big and beat them at their own game, it's gonna be a loooooong afternoon.

All that being said, Geaux Ducks and give em hell!!!

• Thumbs Up 1

There is no question that Georgia is the barometer game for the Ducks. 

The Ducks are traveling across country to play last years champs on basically their own field. 

If the Ducks can make a statement by staying close or even winning without any major injuries doing so then I believe the stage is set for a remarkable season.

Go 🦆🦆🦆s. 

Edited by Just Ducky
  • Go Ducks! 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 7/13/2022 at 9:08 AM, Wrathis said:

They will be ready, prepared and expecting a fight. It's a top 25 matchup against their former Defensive Coordinator and in their own backyard

Agreed, I may have misstated in what I meant by TRAP game. Not that Georgia will overlook the Ducks but a TRAP game in terms of cohesiveness polish and consistency with so many new starters on the Georgia defense and it being their first game as well. 

If the DillyO is ready the Ducks may get more opportunity than if the game was number two three or beyond. 

Now the very same can be true of the Ducks with so much more change in o many areas, but the Ducks we’re a very talented team last year that underperformed likely because of poor coaching and an utterly boring and ineffective offense. 

im cautiously optimistic but not convinced Bennet can carry Georgia if pressured unless they run wild. 

but you are likely quite correct in thinking they will not overlook this game. Cheers !

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Joshua you are so correct that the out come of just one game can and most likely will set the teams trajectory for the season.

in my opinion the most important game of the 2022 season is the game you are currently playing. Nothing else matters. 

I am not for moral victories but a solid showing against Georgia will not derail a CFP appearance or shot at the Natty. Just win that game is all that matters.

A loss against Georgia means every game and opponent remaining on the Ducks schedule is the most important.  A second loss and the CFP is most likely gone.

Every conference game and opponent is the most important if your goal is the conference championship and Rose Bowl.

With the talent on this team and hopefully great in game coaching there is no excuse for any conference loss barring injuries.

10-2 and the Alamo bowl should be the basement for this squad. Disappointing but the basement of expectations.

Gonna be fun to watch.

GO DUCKS...........

• Thumbs Up 1

My most important in order

1- All the games they are supposed to win.  Can’t drop a dumb one.  Easy to look past this, but Oregon and Utah each lost s stupid conference game last year that they should have won.

2- Utah (at least once) - end of the season and is a must win revenge game that will have huge impact on ranking/playoff/bowl etc.

3 - Georgia - Most people don’t think the Ducks can win this, so it would be huge if they do, but not the end of the world if they drop this one in the first week as long as they play a good game.

• Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

It all begins with Georgia, and it's hard to make an objective case for Oregon winning that one, but the games last season against the Utes were a complete mess. New coach, new players, new offense, new defense= new outcome. Of course, it will be 1990 all over again when BYU comes into Autzen. The Cougars in the Palouse the next week have me more concerned. 

Nope.  Utah is the most important IMHO.  Doesn't matter what happens in the Georgia game by the end of the season because by then--Oregon will be a much different team under this new staff.  But we gotta beat Utah to get into the conference championship for certain.

I will admit that payback does enter into it, but it is not a hatred or anything as I highly respect their program.  And they were dumped on by the LA schools as we were.  If we win that game...

...a conference championship with USC would then be the biggest game.  Regardless of the Playoff--get into the Rose Bowl again!

Discover The Rose Bowl Stadium

• Thumbs Up 1

Mr. FishDuck

Utah is probably the most important game because they're the current Pac12 champs and the road goes right through them. 

That being said, Georgia is the most important for setting the tone of the season.  If Oregon plays the Bulldogs competitively and stays within a TD or two in a loss, it sends a message to the rest of the conference that DL and his staff aren't messing around and have the Ducks already performing at a high level right out of the gate.

Edited by kirklandduck

Oregon has two defining games for their season.  Oregon vs Georgia at Georgia.   and Utah vs Florida at Florida.   Oregon can lose by 17 to Number 3 Georgia and still go to playoffs.  However, that may not be true if Utah also loses to Florida.  

Lots of good answers here.  I just hope that Utah and Oregon have both played well enough that when they do play each other it is a big deal for both teams.

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 7/13/2022 at 10:08 AM, Wrathis said:

I get it, and it could very well be a trap game. However, I find it highly unlikely as they follow this game with Samford, South Carolina and then Kent St. No, I think we are the highlight and won't at all be overlooked. They will be ready, prepared and expecting a fight. It's a top 25 matchup against their former Defensive Coordinator and in their own backyard.

If anything, South Carolina sandwiched between Samford and Kent St would be the trap game for them to stumble at but rest assured, they'll be ready for us...and it's my expectation we'll be ready for them. I think the 17 points is fair and if we can keep it within 10, I'll consider that a win. That being said, I think we do have an outside chance to win this game but it will be done with X's and O's and taking risks (blitzing, downfield throws etc).  If we try to match big on big and beat them at their own game, it's gonna be a loooooong afternoon.

All that being said, Geaux Ducks and give em hell!!!

I agree, this isn’t a trap game for GA in the sense that GA might be looking past Oregon.  Their not, Oregon is likely the most talented team on the schedule and they have had all off season to think about that.  USCjr could absolutely be a trap game, but considering that they embarrassed us in Athens a few years ago I think it’s not likely either.  

I agree with Vandownbytheriverduck (awesome name-Farley was the best) that it’s very possible that our D could struggle some from not being polished.  The GA D will be physically fast but you must play with great reaction time and with great overall cohesion to be at your best.  It’s the first game with many new faces starting, we will see.  I also agree with his assessment that getting pressure on Bennet could be a game changer. Again we will see. 

Back on topic - I would say while this game is a great barometer for Oregon, it’s not their most important game.  If Oregon wins it’s a huge deal, but if they lose and play well it’s still a statement.  I would assume that the Utah game is Oregon’s biggest game.  

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 1

The next game, always!

You focus on the next opponent, and forget about the last. A Lanning team needs to be engaged in improving each week, and playing it's best it can against the next opponent. 

None of this we defeated X so we don't need to worry about Y. Also none of 'the refs lost the game for us.' Take the refs out of each and every game, dominate. Let the second string compete, and learn to dominate in game situations.

The most important game may be when the team doesn't think about the next game, stops trying to improve. When this happens they will all learn a lesson on how important it is to stay focused on oneself, and forget about what others say, and others do, just get it done.

The reason no one can predict why a game is going to be the most important is because no one knows when the mental gap is going to happen. If the team stays focused and improves, each game just become more important, none are the most important, until the end, but even that game is an opportunity to improve and execute even better.

• Great post! 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

Covering against Georgia would be a totally acceptable way to start the season.

But if the Ducks expect to contend for a spot in the playoffs — a win over BYU at home is an absolute must.

If a playoff berth is the ultimate goal the entire Pac-12 season becomes irrelevant if the Ducks start the season 1-2.

So, my pick for the most important game is BYU.

• Cool 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

I have to think it's BYU.  I mean, assuming they don't have some inexplicable bonehead loss like Stanford last year.

Almost everyone thinks Georgia is a loss, and a win would be just keeping it close.  But if the Ducks start 0 - 2, especially with one loss coming in Autzen, that will be hard to recover from, both in public perception and in reality.

• Thumbs Up 2

The national title game against Alabama. We win 35-21

• Let’s hope! 1
  • Mic drop 1
  • Great post! 1

EVERYGAME this year--because---we do that we probably wont have to worry about $$$$.

On 7/13/2022 at 2:58 PM, Kurt Rambis said:

I have to think it's BYU.  I mean, assuming they don't have some inexplicable bonehead loss like Stanford last year.

Almost everyone thinks Georgia is a loss, and a win would be just keeping it close.  But if the Ducks start 0 - 2, especially with one loss coming in Autzen, that will be hard to recover from, both in public perception and in reality.

The Ducks’ second game is at home against Eastern Washington, which I am assuming they will win.

For me, it goes like this:

• If the Ducks win against Georgia, that's their biggest game of the season.
  • If the Ducks lose against Georgia, then it's the game against BYU, a team that "owned" the PAC12 last season.

To answer my own question, I'd argue the BYU game is up there with the Utah game in terms of importance. The Utah game is big, as another loss, especially in a blowout, would really be a bad look for a program that should be in contention for a conference title. The BYU game is important for the course of the season. Going 1-2 to start would be a rough way to get Lanning's debut season kicked off, and the Cougars are definitely going to be a tough out.

On 7/14/2022 at 2:15 AM, DUCKED said:

The Ducks’ second game is at home against Eastern Washington, which I am assuming they will win.

Yep, my bad.  So make that needing to avoid going 1 - 2.

On 7/13/2022 at 10:26 AM, Haywarduck said:

The next game, always!

You focus on the next opponent, and forget about the last.

If the team stays focused and improves, each game just become more important, none are the most important, until the end, but even that game is an opportunity to improve and execute even better.

I gotta agree with Haywarduck here.  The next game is the most important game.  Win it and move on to the next most important game.

Win the next game and the season will take care of itself.

• Great post! 1

I said earlier in this thread, along with others, that the GA-UO game is a great barometer game for Oregon.  IMO the same can be said for GA.  Both teams are going to be very different than the teams fielded last season.  It’s the first game, it will take some time to have fair expectations for each team this season.  

This game is important for both Oregon and GA.  We are transversely very likely the best team each will face in the regular season.  But the teams that hit the gridiron on Sept.3 will likely, hopefully through growth and not injury, be different than the teams fielded in Nov., Dec, etc…..  It’s an important game bc a loss leaves no room for failure the rest of the season for either team, but a loss doesn’t put either team out of playoff contention. 

Having said all this, Haywarduck makes a good point.  The next game is always the most important.  Looking too far ahead is inviting trouble.  

• Great post! 2
  • Thumbs Up 2

On 7/13/2022 at 6:01 AM, Vandownbytheriverduck said:

It all starts with Georgia. That is the most important game if we must choose one.

I think Utah is the most important game for Oregon's season but Georgia is the most important game for Oregon's decade.

The two losses to Utah last year were an embarrassment at multiple levels to the program.  I'm not sure MC was capable of making the adjustments needed in game or in the off season to get past Utah.

DL comes in clean without the ego momentum that caused those losses.  He and his staff are acutely aware of what caused Oregon to get smacked around TWICE in one season by Utah.

For Oregon to be considered the PAC leader we need to control the Utah game and show we have evolved.  If we go into the Utah game with one loss at Georgia (assuming we played well in that game) we are still in the national conversation with a win at Utah and demonstrated growth in the season.

From a pure talent (recruiting history) point of view Georgia outmatches Oregon everywhere except linebacker.  That means that all things being equal Oregon should loose to Georgia.

All things being equal Oregon "SHOULD" have lost to Ohio State in the shoe, but we didn't.  That was a national statement that Oregon can beat the best teams in the country.

The question in the back of coaches and media minds around that game was did Oregon win? or did Ohio State loose?

We love to say things like every game matters, or a win is a win but when it comes to ranking teams in a season or programs for recruiting not every win count is equal.

If Oregon wins in Atlanta then the evidence sways the argument away from Ohio State lost to Oregon can win and win in tough locations.

The impact of that idea settling into the minds of sports media on the East Coast (especially the SEC) would be Oregon's Clemson moment.

At that point Oregon goes into every recruiting battle on equal footing with the opposing programs.  In fact I believe we would go into recruiting battles with the upper hand.

So in my opinion Utah is the season, but Georgia is the decade.