lownslowav8r

Conference Realignment: 'This Sucks'

We all knew it was coming. The writing had been on the wall. I believe we all thought the Ducks would be included, that's all.

Hopefully they still will be and the money difference will be more of a problem for the non revenue sports than football, which has to take preference.

I know it sucks, but sometimes life sucks. You roll with the punches and come out the other side. 

Go Ducks Fly High

I agree, this sucks...and I think we can agree that money is what is driving this change. I've felt helpless and powerless watching this happen.  However, we aren't powerless.  We do have a card to play, but it's tough in that it has to be played collectively as a society.  That has proven to be difficult, if not impossible but it has happened recently on social issues.  When corporate greed leads the way, society holds the real power to change that.

Essentially what I'm getting at is this: we can change things by not buying the product.  Saturday mornings in the Fall are for golf and afternoons are for college football.  As a PAC12 fan, that also meant that Saturday evenings/nights are also for college football.  I may well change my lifelong schedule this season...Saturday mornings may be for working in the garden, afternoons for golf and nights for the Ducks, and only the Ducks.  By not tuning in to watch whatever other games are going on, they lose a set of eyeballs paying for their product.  Granted, I'm just one man but given enough dissatisfaction, we can force a change.

If enough people are willing to change their schedule to not view the 'extra' products they're producing, then the companies are forced to capitulate to the viewers demands.  Is it a LONG shot? Absolutely.  It's tough to get society to band together enough on something to demand change.  However, at the end of the day that power is in our hands and we hold the ace.  That being said, if the representation cited in the article concerning the wide ranging fans he spoke to is accurate, there may be enough of us to bring the networks to heel. I can't say what we'll all do as a whole, but what I can do is stick to my guns and know that I've used what was available at my disposal to affect change and inform the greedy networks that I'm not a fan of their product...

• Thumbs Up 5

On 7/14/2022 at 8:43 AM, Wrathis said:

I may well change my lifelong schedule this season...Saturday mornings may be for working in the garden, afternoons for golf and nights for the Ducks, and only the Ducks. 

The changes have not happened yet, and won't for two years.  I am going to enjoy college football to the fullest before it all changes....and that means yelling for whoever USC's opponent is!

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Cool 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Mr. FishDuck

On 7/14/2022 at 8:45 AM, Charles Fischer said:

whoever USC's opponent is!

And UCLA's. I know my buddy Bill hates this!

• Cool 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Exact reason why I never watch ND on NBC.  It is a done deal, but I'll make a concerted effort not to watch any USC/UCLA sports, unless they are playing the Ducks.

• Thumbs Up 4

I agree. The fans in the rest of the country should boycott all of the B1G and SEC games. It looks like that's the only chance to save CFB as we know and love it.

I know I won't watch any unless the Ducks are playing, but I could even not do that by listening to J Allen and Jorge on the radio.

On 7/15/2022 at 8:21 AM, Duck 1972 said:

I agree. The fans in the rest of the country should boycott all of the B1G and SEC games. It looks like that's the only chance to save CFB as we know and love it.

I know I won't watch any unless the Ducks are playing, but I could even not do that by listening to J Allen and Jorge on the radio.

Duck 1972: if you want the boycott to be effective, concentrate on the TV broadcasts only: That'll send a message to the money people

Agreed I meant to make clear a person could just listen to the radio broadcast instead of watching the Ducks play a SEC/B1G team on TV like we used to do in the old days.

Haha, for me of course that won't include this year's game with Georgia.

I can't seem to access the article. Whats the conclusion of it all?

1Funduck - see if you can access article through this link.

11135713.jpg
247SPORTS.COM

When the news hit just a few weeks back about college football's world gets thrown upside down with USC and UCLA defecting the...

It's about money of course, college sports has been about the money for a long time.

The difference now is the amount of money has increased and those involved with making the decisions have no long term vision for where this is leading and little or no sense of the traditions cherished by many fans. 

The writer talks about wanting to have something where the 20 or 40 maybe best programs are competing against each other. In what universe would Oregon not be near the top of the list there. Yet at the moment the Ducks are in limbo, hoping for the best.

I will watch and wait. My hope is somehow the the PAC, Big 12 and ACC manage to create a third way, one where a few little guys can be included too.

I'm still thinking the best way is if you don't like what they are doing, you can give up and join them, or beat them against all odds. Seems to me the second option is more in keeping with Oregon tradition. Go Ducks!

• Applause 1

On 7/17/2022 at 10:30 AM, OhioDuck said:

It's about money of course, college sports has been about the money for a long time.

The difference now is the amount of money has increased and those involved with making the decisions have no long term vision for where this is leading and little or no sense of the traditions cherished by many fans. 

The writer talks about wanting to have something where the 20 or 40 maybe best programs are competing against each other. In what universe would Oregon not be near the top of the list there. Yet at the moment the Ducks are in limbo, hoping for the best.

I will watch and wait. My hope is somehow the the PAC, Big 12 and ACC manage to create a third way, one where a few little guys can be included too.

I'm still thinking the best way is if you don't like what they are doing, you can give up and join them, or beat them against all odds. Seems to me the second option is more in keeping with Oregon tradition. Go Ducks!

Okay answering myself here. Just a few thoughts on why I think this third way can work.

One, if the PAC stays solid against any further defections to the B1G or SEC (seems they are done for the moment anyway). What will the B1G look like geographically?

To me it looks like 18 dots in the north east and midwest bunched together and 2 dots in the south west corner. With no more West coast teams USC and USLA are isolated in their won conference.

So, except for the two LA schools the B1G is still geographically bound. The SEC really did not go much outside their already established footprint to add TX and OK.

If a conference were to be created from the PAC, Big 12 and ACC, it would truly be a coast to coast conference with teams from the the Northeast, Southeast, Midwest, Southwest, Rocky Mountains and West Coast. 

This would outflank what the B1G and SEC are attempting to do, capture significant TV markets and enable the conference to have a true east division and west division (maybe 4 divisions, imagine a 4 team conference play off).

And every few years, Oregon can go to Miami or host them and kick Mario's butt!

Just a few thought.

• Thumbs Up 2

Can we kick the the condoms and UCLA out now and get it over with. See what kind of last minute scheduling they would be able to get. 😂 

• Applause 1