Charles Fischer

Does THIS Surprise You About Mario Cristobal?

On another site it was reported that the admins and coaches at Oregon had great difficulty contacting the family of Spencer Webb, and it was vital to give them the news before reading of it on Social Media.

Oregon reached out to Coach Mario Cristobal, who then assisted with the effort with his wide range of contacts to help inform the family immediately.  While we fans were not pleased with some elements of his time here, he did a ton of great things for the program and represented it well on the national stage. 

Character is defined as what you do when nobody is watching, and Mario demonstrated his love for his former player.  I want to publicly thank him.

Mario Cristobal wants more physicality, accountability from Miami Hurricanes

• Mic drop 1
  • Great post! 1
  • Applause 9
  • Thumbs Up 7
  • Like 3

Mr. FishDuck

Well done Mariø. 

"Character is defined as what you do when nobody is watching...".

So have great character and do esteemable things. Because you never know who is watching.

• Go Ducks! 1

Having character is also being consistent. Mario was consistently a class act. 

• Go Ducks! 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

Cristobal built relationships and you can tell why his players love him and why it was his players who elevated him to head coach at Oregon. 

His short comings we're not on the relationship side of things when it comes to football. 

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Great post! 1

It doesn’t surprise me at all. MC has always cared for his players.

As David said above, his shortcomings  were not on the personal relationship end of things.  I know he felt as sick about it as we did when he heard the news.

I think he will always be a big softy when it comes to his players, regardless of school.

• Go Ducks! 2

I always saw him (and still do) as basically a good dude.  Job changes are not easy, particularly when you're jumping to a competitor.  And to do it publicly must be brutal.  How do you keep recruiting for Oregon, in case the Miami job falls through?  How do you not outright lie to the media?  (How many times have we heard "I've had no contact with that university!" and then two hours later the guy signs a contract?)  

When Slick Willie left, his players WANTED to play for MC.  That says a lot.  He may have shortcomings as a coaching strategist, but I bear him no ill will, and continue to respect him as a person.  That's why I don't participate in a lot of the "trash Mario" stuff that comes up on the board.  (Also because we have no idea how our current regime is at strategy and coaching tactics.)

Yeah, it sucks to be someone's second choice, and the knee-jerk reaction is often, "I hope he flops over there" (which was my immediate reaction, to be honest).  IMHO, I don't think MC deserves that.

• Great post! 1
  • Applause 2
  • Thumbs Up 2

His players all cared for him. The only thing we always forget is we are all human beings and being human is hard. The world is a tough place.

I've defended MC on this forum many times. He is a good person and did a lot of positive things for the Ducks. This is just another example of the best of the man.

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

• Thanks 1
  • Applause 2
  • Thumbs Up 3

Mr. FishDuck

The guy had an opportunity to return home and help resurrect his Alma mater as well as get paid very well.  I would never hold a grudge against anyone in life who makes a choice to pursue that. I never took it personal.  I've had an employer try to shame me for leaving and taking a better opportunity overseas.  Best decision I ever made professionally.

On 7/16/2022 at 12:04 AM, Flaps2 said:

The guy had an opportunity to return home and help resurrect his Alma mater as well as get paid very well.  I would never hold a grudge against anyone in life who makes a choice to pursue that. I never took it personal.  I've had an employer try to shame me for leaving and taking a better opportunity overseas.  Best decision I ever made professionally.

I don't recall Mariø employer shaming him. Fans have for sure. Dishonesty is shameful, as is quitting on your team with 3 games left to play. For that I definitely threw shade his way. Probably will continue to do so. I hope he loses every game and is run out of Miami.

That said, Mariø's actions where Webb is concerned is honorable and should be praised. At the same time, Mariø was just doing the right thing when no risk to self was involved. That's easy.

What's hard is when there is risk of hurting or disappointing others, yet you still do the right thing only because its the right thing to do.

Mariø failed when he lied to fans and quit on his team. People lie for only a few reasons. Guilt, shame and fear are some of those reasons. What's Mariø's? 

MC's help with Webb situation was well done on Mariø's part. Thank you. For the rest of it he owes Duck Nation an apology. Until then, he is another Slick Willie. 

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

Recruiting is often all about building relationships. Part of the reason MC is so good at recruiting is he does that and seems to be someone who is authentic in how he cares for the players. 

This just confirms that. 

• Applause 1

Long time reader,first the poster.

I am not so sure about the veracity of Oregon needing to contact  Mario to get info with regard  to Webb's family.  The AD keeps very comprehensive info including multiple contacts for EVERY student athlete.  Multiple people have access to that data and unless everyone one of them was out, I can assure you someone had access to the data.  I worked in the dept and I saw first hand who has access to student athlete personal data.

My point is there would have had to have been multiple points of failure to need to reach out to Mario.

Just my observations

Edited by Augduck
  • Thanks 1

On 7/16/2022 at 5:41 PM, Augduck said:

Long time reader,first the poster.

I am not so sure about the veracity of Oregon needing to contact  Mario to get info with regard  to Webb's family.  The AD keeps very comprehensive info including multiple contacts for EVERY student athlete.  Multiple people have access to that data and unless everyone one of them was out, I can assure you someone had access to the data.  I worked in the dept and I saw first hand who has access to student athlete personal data.

My point is there would have had to have been multiple points of failure to need to reach out to Mario.

Just my observations

Post more please

It's difficult when a coach leaves.  It feels like a bad break-up.  If MC had gone to Michigan, for instance, it would have felt different to me than his leaving for Miami.  Going back home to be the head coach is very understandable.  He has always struck me as a man of integrity, and I wish him the best. 

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Sometimes it feels like it’s not so much a case of whether a coach - like Mario - has acted honorably or dishonorably as it is a case of us Duck fans having grown so tired of feeling like, and being seen as a stepping-stone program.  Duck football has earned the right to be taken on its own merits. So, if you don’t want to be here in the first place, then don’t even bother.

• Thumbs Up 1